Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Discounts on LEGO Exclusives

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2013
    Hmm, Architecture Studio, Robie House, Cargo Train, Unimog, 4x4 Crawler(s) and the Mobile Crane are significant sets that aren't on that list. Anyone try and get one of those sets with the coupon?
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2013
    ^Architecture Studio did 'make the list'. But in this case it's a bad list to make it onto. :(
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    @tensor, most of those were part of the TRU BOGO, so I think coupon will be OK. I will use my 10% coupon on #42009 on 10/1, I'll let you know.

@LegoMom1, Architecture studio made the list, but I was able to apply all kind of coupons and discounts at B&N for it...
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @lululuLego - There is a list. It was sent to all US store managers. I was shown a copy of it by my manager.
    @ColoradoBricks said: Architecture studio made the list, but I was able to apply all kind of coupons and discounts at B&N for it...

What % off and which discounts applied? What did it end up costing you? My son and I really, really want this set!!!
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 243
    10% B&N member + 20% coupon. Total discount about 28%.
    @LegoMom1, on top of what @hleonffu said, I had $5 off from B&N Kids, and then that week-end my mall was running a promotion and I got a $20 gift card as I spent more than $100 in one of their store so in the end it was just a bit less than $90.
    edited September 2013
    ^ @ColoradoBricks- Oh, I remember you posting that a few weeks ago. Good for you. I always like to hear about huge savings like that. I won't hope for that great a deal, but I am hoping for a 20% off coupon in the future. Seems I always get the 15% ones. Maybe next time. Are you loving the set?
    At that price yes :) but it does not fit with the other architecture sets. It is in own category, somewhere between Architecture and MBA. I like #21010 better. I have not yet purchased #21017 but will when I can stack the same type of offers/coupons.
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 436
    LegoMom1 said:

^ @ColoradoBricks- Oh, I remember you posting that a few weeks ago. Good for you. I always like to hear about huge savings like that. I won't hope for that great a deal, but I am hoping for a 20% off coupon in the future. Seems I always get the 15% ones. Maybe next time. Are you loving the set?

I think you need to be a b&n member to get 20% coupons. Are you?

• GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96

@tensor, most of those were part of the TRU BOGO, so I think coupon will be OK. I will use my 10% coupon on #42009 on 10/1, I'll let you know.

@LegoMom1, Architecture studio made the list, but I was able to apply all kind of coupons and discounts at B&N for it...

I tried it already on #42009 and was shown the list it was on. They had a second list that added to the first. So you will probably be told no like I was. So I got it from TRU with the friends and family 25% off with their card online for $180+ tax. Just got it yesterday. They actually packed it well and had no damage.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Someone many pages ago said that this might be TLG being positioned for an IPO or to be bought out, like LucasFilm was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

Just found this list... The LEGO Group would fit nicely into that list, don't you think?

As a side note, I find it interesting to see just how much Disney owns, most of what my kids watch, play with, and know... all Disney... very few exceptions...
    FollowsClosely
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    ^ Funny you mentioning that... Today went to Target to pick up some Friends and Super Heroes sets at discount for Xmas with my wife and shortly thereafter we went to a Disney Store at a nearby mall to pick some other things.

While looking at the Brave things, which my daughter just adores, I mentioned to my wife that next year we could combine the little girl's gifts into Lego-only with the new Disney Princess Friends-like sets. Then I proceeded to look around the store and pretty much almost everything at the Disney Store somewhat reminded me of LEGO... Lone Ranger... Cars... Toy Story... Marvel... Pirates of Caribbean... Star Wars.... All IPs owned by Disney and made into LEGO recently.

Connecting the dots in my mind, it just seems quite obvious that there is something going on and Disney is getting ready to buy TLG out. I would not be surprised if that move happens sooner than later, even if it is 2014. It looks like both companies are putting their ducks in a row for this to happen.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ...or they've just found a mutually beneficial relationship with a lot of cross over in terms of buying demographics that works so they keep doing it. Its not rocket science.

Take out the star wars purchase (and surely no one is suggesting that as a stepping stone to buying LEGO????) and the whole notion looks even more ridiculous than quite frankly it does now.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    If they buy lego maybe we can get college football minifigs since Espn pretty much owns college football.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I think it is also important to remember that Lego goes for big licenses. If Lego owns Star Wars and Marvel and Pirates and Cars...it is not a surprise that Lego wants those themes.

It is also beneficial for Disney to affiliate themselves with a Premium brand like Lego. It is advertising for them.

Lego has gone for other big brands that were not affiliated with Disney, such as HP, DC, etc.

I truly would not want a merge, for fear that such a company would only use their brands and not seek out other licenses.

LegobutterflyFollowsClosely
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    In the past, I think TLG gave leeway to store managers to make on-the-spot decisions regarding coupons, damaged boxes, or simply tossing in additional giveaways (at least that was my experience with them). The relationships with store employees and the fact that they always wanted to go the extra mile to sell their products was a big positive for their bottom line and my personal enjoyment of collecting sets.

With their corporate group now tightening down the screws on what the managers can and cannot do, the discounts they provide, etc., it takes away the interest I have in driving 40 minutes to get to their store. They should remember that Lego products are VERY expensive toys (not required to sustain life) and the economy is bad. This would seem like an inopportune time to be cutting customer perks.

My personal experience was that I didn't realize the magazine 10% off coupons couldn't be used with "exclusive sets" and I drove 40 minutes to purchase the WMV. I wasted a lot of time (and gas) that I could have saved. There's an old saying: "Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me."
    BrickDancerbmwlego
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited September 2013
    Coupon exclusions don't go over well with anyone. "Oh sorry, this and this and that and those (i.e. all the good stuff) are excluded. But, you can use it on this jar of peanuts (items no one cares much about). You want a jar of peanuts?" :-)
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Anyone try seeing if they could BOGO 30% at Target on the big "listed" sets?
    ^ No it does not work, you get however the $10 gift card for 75+ spent.
    I have been watching all major retailer sites this month, none of the sets on the list has seen a discount more than 4c ...
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited September 2013
    ^ Uh oh!! Houston...we have collusion.

And near the Christmas season of all times!!!
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    This coupon exclusion list makes no sense. The coupon for most people is only worth using on one of those exclusive sets, and the fact that it's only good at a LEGO retail store, their margins for profit are that much higher. TLG what are you doing?
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    cloaked7 said:

Coupon exclusions don't go over well with anyone. "Oh sorry, this and this and that and those (i.e. all the good stuff) are excluded. But, you can use it on this jar of peanuts (items no one cares much about). You want a jar of peanuts?" :-)

You mean Toys R Us?

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^The new saying goes "When you say 'hosed', was it by TRU or Lego?"
    The_Mack
    Funny that people say that LEGO employees surely read these threads. I will admit that makes sense. If so, I'm sure they read about the bashing TRU gets in some threads. Some are nothing but people complaining about TRU. LEGO if you're reading this you're being compared to TRU. Ahem... that's not a good thing.
    madforLEGOPitfall69wagnerml2LegoFanTexasThe_MackPenkid11
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    cloaked7 said:

Maybe when people start saying "Let's buy him that megabloks set that we saw in Toys'R'Us instead, it's much cheaper and the same thing" at the till after being refused a discount using the discount voucher, then feedback will be sent via staff.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I haven't had much time to peruse these forums save for a bit a week or so ago when I showed this discussion to a few people I know. Having talked with them, some being parents and some not but all of them being those who buy Lego, they believe Lego is high priced but found the notion of complaining about a discount just because it doesn't apply to some sets to be, at best, ridiculous. They purchase Lego for their children or for themselves because of the product, not the price and while they'd appreciate a discount, they used terms like "childish", "immature", "poor babies", "whining", "ingrates" and "cry me a river" (as well as a few adjectives that weren't G-rated) to describe the response they saw here when I showed them this discussion.

So, for the last few weeks I've been emailing Lego every couple days with the complaint that any discounts constitute unfair treatment to those who don't receive them. The lack of appreciation by those who do receive them compared to the willingness of those who don't get such discounts to still purchase Lego further serves to illustrate the unfairness of such discounts toward loyal customers and ingratitude of those they've been rewarding. Since compensory discounts for past purchases would be too difficult to calculate, I therefore have been suggesting that they should treat all customers fairly by eliminating ALL discount coupons. Lego's response to my emails thus far doesn't suggest one way or the other if that they will or will not do that but they do appreciate knowing that there are customers who enjoy their product. In short, it's a standard customer relation response.

That said, as the holidays drift closer I suspect that the hypocrisy on these forums will start to get pretty thick. How many complainers will live up to their vow not to purchase exclusives without the discount and how many show the backbone of a sea urchin? My guess is that there's a lot of echinoderms hereabout and that that threat will soon be moot.
    gifinim
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2013
    prof1515 said:

I haven't had much time to peruse these forums save for a bit a week or so ago when I showed this discussion to a few people I know. Having talked with them, some being parents and some not but all of them being those who buy Lego, they believe Lego is high priced but found the notion of complaining about a discount just because it doesn't apply to some sets to be, at best, ridiculous. They purchase Lego for their children or for themselves because of the product, not the price and while they'd appreciate a discount, they used terms like "childish", "immature", "poor babies", "whining", "ingrates" and "cry me a river" (as well as a few adjectives that weren't G-rated) to describe the response they saw here when I showed them this discussion.

So, for the last few weeks I've been emailing Lego every couple days with the complaint that any discounts constitute unfair treatment to those who don't receive them. The lack of appreciation by those who do receive them compared to the willingness of those who don't get such discounts to still purchase Lego further serves to illustrate the unfairness of such discounts toward loyal customers and ingratitude of those they've been rewarding. Since compensory discounts for past purchases would be too difficult to calculate, I therefore have been suggesting that they should treat all customers fairly by eliminating ALL discount coupons. Lego's response to my emails thus far doesn't suggest one way or the other if that they will or will not do that but they do appreciate knowing that there are customers who enjoy their product. In short, it's a standard customer relation response.

That said, as the holidays drift closer I suspect that the hypocrisy on these forums will start to get pretty thick. How many complainers will live up to their vow not to purchase exclusives without the discount and how many show the backbone of a sea urchin? My guess is that there's a lot of echinoderms hereabout and that that threat will soon be moot.

Internet rule #5.

When trying to prove a point always present your own opinion by pretending it resulted from discussions of many others offline in agreement with you.

Internet rule #6.

Use big words like echinoderms when insulting people.
    PhoneboothXefanLostInTranslationdougtskwkwLegoFanTexasSirKevbagscardgeniusrancorbait
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    @Prof1515 Firstly I don't think asking others about what they think of a discussion ("complaining") on an online forum, especially one about a toy, is really going to garner anything but the kind of responses you listed, would most likley be the same no mater what the subject matter.

You do realise that discounts have very little to do with giving people a bonus because TLG are just being nice. It has a lot more to do with marketing and making the most profit. Lego wouldn't offer them if it wasn't beneficial to them, same goes for taking them away. So asking them to take all discounts away because you don't like other people complaining about not getting some discounts is not going to make a difference, unless of course their are hordes of others just like you, but who will also protest with their wallets and stop buying Lego unless all discounts are stopped!
    XefanSirKevbags
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    To echo what @basta is saying above, any promotion that a manufacturer or retailer offers is to generate incremental sales. This is independent of the type of promotion and whom it's targeted towards.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,893
    edited October 2013
    prof1515 said:

So, for the last few weeks I've been emailing Lego every couple days with the complaint that any discounts constitute unfair treatment to those who don't receive them.

And what, pray tell, do they say back to you? I am quite curious to know.
    Xefan
    prof1515 said:

How much did the mirror cost you?
    LootefiskXefankwkwLegoFanTexas
    edited October 2013
    CCC said:

cloaked7 said:

Maybe when people start saying "Let's buy him that megabloks set that we saw in Toys'R'Us instead, it's much cheaper and the same thing" at the till after being refused a discount using the discount voucher, then feedback will be sent via staff.
    So true. LEGO will know if the no discount policy is a success, or not, based on future sales numbers in their stores for non-discounted sets and based on sales to Amazon and Walmart for those sets. My guess is that it won't hurt sales of those sets in LEGO stores much (people are used to paying retail), but I bet it hurts the sales to Amazon, Walmart, and Target. I simply see those retailers ordering less of some of those sets. And, if they still order those sets in numbers similar to the past it will be interesting to see if they never discount them. Especially Walmart. They are in a business of turning inventory relatively quickly and if they need warehouse or shelf space, here come the mark downs. Course, we aren't privy to any sales numbers. We just have our perspective as buyers. We don't know how many sets the retailers order, how fast or slow they sell, how full their warehouses are. But, we have seen some exclusive sets marked down in the past this year. That was obviously due to needing to move inventory (or price matching). Not being able to mark down some sets has the potential to cause certain sets not to sell. If so, eventually something has to give.

Another aspect we are not privy to. Maybe LEGO thinks they flooded the market with certain sets in the past. Maybe they are going to cut back some on the numbers of some exclusive sets sold to retailers from here forward in an attempt to prevent the retailers warehouses filling up with those sets.

Lastly, all bets are off when a set is retired. When an exclusive set it retired it may instantly be OK for it to be marked down. That is common with some brands that have a no discount, no sale, policy. Sanuk sandals is a recent example I learned about during vacation this year. They don't allow their current products to be marked down at all, but once they determine a style is cancelled they don't care how much the retailer marks it down. They want the retail to get rid of old product to make room for the new stuff. Out with the old, in with the new.
    prof1515 said:

So, for the last few weeks I've been emailing Lego every couple days with the complaint that any discounts constitute unfair treatment to those who don't receive them. The lack of appreciation by those who do receive them compared to the willingness of those who don't get such discounts to still purchase Lego further serves to illustrate the unfairness of such discounts toward loyal customers and ingratitude of those they've been rewarding. Since compensory discounts for past purchases would be too difficult to calculate, I therefore have been suggesting that they should treat all customers fairly by eliminating ALL discount coupons.

Have you let them know how unfair the distribution of (free) poly bags is too? They should be cancelling those too, after all, often they are only available for a short fixed timeframe (usually a month but sometimes only a couple of days) and not in all locations. Sometimes they are not even very good, so they should stop doing all free polybags to get over the lack of appreciation of the few bad ones.
    XefandougtskwkwLegoFanTexas
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I'm trying to figure out if prof1515 is a troll or if he's actually serious.

I mean, are there really people who seriously actually go out of their way to spend time regularly repeatedly writing to companies to demand they be more anti-consumer as if saying the same thing to them over and over adds credence to their cause?

Honestly, if someone has to repeat something over and over you're going to assume that they know deep down they don't have a leg to stand on with their point, hence their need to try and force you round to their way of thinking by repeating it over and over. If their argument had any merit then writing about it in a succinct manner once would be plenty enough to relay the message. Repeating yourself doesn't add validity to your argument, it just screams desperation.

I can only assume by his attempt to introduce plausible deniability in insulting people by saying others said the things he said about them when we all know full well he's just making that up to insult people though that he's actually just a troll and hence not worth paying any attention to?
    ^ He's just trolling to get a reaction and it appears to have worked. Its not his first time either.

For me, complaining about the removal of discounts across multiple retailers is understandable, its a big change that people are going to have to get used to (if it is actually happening and it appears it is). We've rarely had big discounts on exclusives here but if the same applied to non-exclusives here and all LEGO was only ever RRP we'd be put out for a while too. Its entirely reasonable to assume that a change of that magnitude will also make you change how much you buy. Of course when that gets extended to 'its the end for LEGO' or 'They don't have a clue' then it feels a little silly, as much as some people do/think they know about retail they know very very little about the inner workings and finances of a privately run company thats doing remarkably well on its own.

As for the 10% off coupon, perhaps LEGO would have been better just scrapping it all together (which is what appears to have happened in the UK). I can see how the exclusions cause confusion and potential customer relations issues so they may be more trouble than they're worth. Like I say, it seems a long time since we had one in the UK and I don't remember any backlash to not having any more discount vouchers?

This sums it up rather nicely...
    Basta said:

You do realise that discounts have very little to do with giving people a bonus because TLG are just being nice. It has a lot more to do with marketing and making the most profit. Lego wouldn't offer them if it wasn't beneficial to them, same goes for taking them away.

edited October 2013

As for the 10% off coupon, perhaps LEGO would have been better just scrapping it all together (which is what appears to have happened in the UK). I can see how the exclusions cause confusion and potential customer relations issues so they may be more trouble than they're worth. Like I say, it seems a long time since we had one in the UK and I don't remember any backlash to not having any more discount vouchers?

I had a free BAM box (three minifigs) voucher for a £10 spend and I knew I'd get the VW poly if I spent £50. That got me into a store I was passing nearby at the weekend.

Three free minfiigs when purchasing a PAB cup is a decent enough deal to get me into a store as opposed to buying online (although obviously I cannot fill a cup online), and getting a VW poly which will probably sell for about £10 is essentially money off a £40 set, which I'll pick up in store if I'm getting the free minifigs too.

I might have bought that £40 set online, although I would have waited for a promo I wanted, and I'd probably need to find £10 worth of PAB to get it too.

I don't know how much stuff gets nicked, but I saw kids pocketing pats from the BAM bar when I was there. So for the price of a few minifigs that would probably be way less than the number of parts that walk in a day, they got me into a store and for a reasonable selling (on the resale market) poly they got me spending £50 in total.

If it was just a fiver off, I probably wouldn't have gone.
    Yep, I thought that offer of get a free minifig for showing up or three for spending a tenner was a really good idea. There was also the free chima set before that. It also limits the liability as the most it can cost is three minifigs rather than someone walking out with 5 deathstars and saving £175.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Is saving £175 on £1375 really actually a problem? That's still £1200 for sets that probably cost less than £100 to manufacture for all five :)

Assuming they make more than 10% profit on every set (do we know the average profit margin per set? I'd guess it's probably well over 50%) then it doesn't matter how much you buy with 10% off they're still going to be making healthy profit as a result. They could still also apply set limits - one per voucher.
    ^ LEGO might, i doubt LEGO retail do and the distinction is important. Not many multiple site bricks and mortar retail operations make profits anything like 10% of sales.

Also depends what those sales are. If its AFOL X breaking them up to make a mammoth SW scene then thats OK, if its reseller Y holding onto them and then selling them at or above RRP later then thats just taking future sales from LEGO and loosing them money.

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I will still be buying exclusives. I may miss out on TLG's 10% discount but I am still able to buy at 28% off thru other means. If by some miracle they allow the BF 10% on exclusives then I am in for even more at 38% off. Let the good times roll :)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
    ^ Unfortunately, most of us don't have other means at 28% off, so unless you are willing to let us all know your source, we are just going to have to suffer through it or not buy any thing. I have opted for the latter rather than the former. So far I have not bought the Ewok Village or the new Winter Village sets. Both of which I would have had by now, using my 10% off coupon which is now worthless to me.
    The_MackBrickDancerDougoutLegoFanTexasjasor
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    If I had some super deal, which I don't, I wouldn't spread it around on a forum. I KNOW that resellers are reading these forums (especially those who aren't actually members) and doing that would kill that discount too.

I will still be buying exclusives. I may miss out on TLG's 10% discount but I am still able to buy at 28% off thru other means. If by some miracle they allow the BF 10% on exclusives then I am in for even more at 38% off. Let the good times roll :)

Why So much ANGER toward resellers? THIS^
    FollowsClosely
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
    ^ I know he won't tell, neither would I, I'm just saying. I also know that resellers read these pages, but I don't think they can read the shopping threads without being a member. But anyway, the resellers do belong here also as evidenced by the clearing of the Kmart near me last weekend. I'm glad I took what I could at 20% off. If I had waited I would have gotten nothing.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Lego is going to have to stop making poor selling exclusives like the B-wing and Obi-Wan Starfighter if they want this to last. From that to the abrupt jump in policies, I don't know if this is a sustainable, long lasting one.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

Why So much ANGER toward resellers? THIS^
    oldtodd33 said:

^ I know he won't tell, neither would I, I'm just saying. I also know that resellers read these pages, but I don't think they can read the shopping threads without being a member. But anyway, the resellers do belong here also as evidenced by the clearing of the Kmart near me last weekend. I'm glad I took what I could at 20% off. If I had waited I would have gotten nothing.

I guess the problem people have is stating that you can get a great discount on exclusives, but not tell other people how. With that said, he has every right to not tell anyone, but maybe it is best to keep that to oneself and not post. That way people don't get rubbed the wrong way.

I never get a chance to clean out an aisle even if I wanted to.

Legoboybluemodern
    And I thought this was a community...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Funny how most information is encouraged to be spread and shared amongst the many, unless that information is tied to money. In which case it should be hoarded, shielded from daylight and protected from the unkempt masses.
    FollowsCloselySquareSide
    Pitfall69 said:

I guess the problem people have is stating that you can get a great discount on exclusives, but not tell other people how. With that said, he has every right to not tell anyone, but maybe it is best to keep that to oneself and not post. That way people don't get rubbed the wrong way.

Honestly, I don't care what discount he can get just don't want to hear about the blatant bragging about it. Especially when people are dissapointed about losing access to a previously common opportunity at discount. Oh yeah, this doesn't help either:

Yep the reselling game is nowhere near as agood as it used to be...Nowdays unless you know how to exploit every single angle involved in a reselling operation and not make any mistakes you are going to get your behind handed to you.

Stay classy.

LegoFanTexasjasorbluemodernDark_Pegasus