Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Discounts on LEGO Exclusives

Comments

• gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    ^^ It's just taken me nearly a month to get some replacement instructions from TLG and all the communication from them has been days after I've sent them what they've asked for and very much in the tone of 'yeah, it happens', so I really do think they've reached a point of not caring about the customer as much as they used to. I think that for you to expect good discounts just because that's what you'd like is more than a little unreasonable. People are still buying from them at the moment so why do they need to do big discounts?

After nearly 18 pages, that's rhetorical, don't worry.
    LegoFanTexas
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    So that's how you spell rhetorical.
    LegoFanTexasFollowsCloselygifinim
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,776
    gifinim said:

People are still buying from them at the moment so why do they need to do big discounts?

That is the most important part of the debate. If enough people are still buying exclusives from them without discount, then there is no need to ever offer discounts on exclusives. Then it is not down to resellers, disrespect of volunteers, or anything else. Just financial matters.

But then it does help if they get the PR right. Don't make stuff up to remove the discounts. If it is financial, then they should just remove the discounts and not give any reason why - we don't want to hear it is down to AFOL volunteers reselling if that is not the reason.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    Got a reply from Lego:
    Lego said:

Dear FollowsClosely,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm so sorry to hear that your disappointed with the policy at our LEGO® Brand Retail Stores. Please know that many discounts given at the store are at the stores discretion. Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns with us, as customer feedback is what helps us to make more improvements. I will be sure to pass your comments to LEGO Brand Retail.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We're always pleased to receive feedback from LEGO fans! If you could take a moment to complete a four question survey by going to the link below, it will help us make sure we are providing the best customer service to you.

LEGO Survey link
    Please let us know if you need anything else.

Happy building!

Ashley
    LEGO Service

Did You Know?
    In 2012 the LEGO Group made about 400 million minifigures. If you put them next to each other in a line, it would stretch approx. 10,000 kilometers. It’s the distance from Billund in Denmark to Singapore in Asia!
    Just use the "Reply" button on your email program to reply – but please don’t change the subject line or your email could get lost.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,776
    Isn't that just a typical "thank you for your email, we don't care enough to reply properly, fill out this survey on something unrelated, and here are some other unrelated facts" reply.
    chromedigiLegoFanTexasthenosBumblepantsChang405Yellowcastlegifinimjasor
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    Form letter. She pressed the "reply to Anti" button, and you went into the bit bucket.
    LegoFanTexasFollowsClosely
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
    I got a slightly different response from LEGO:

We try really hard to make sure everything we do is imaginative, creative and fun, just like our toys. I'm sorry to hear you think we got it wrong this time. Listening to what LEGO® fans have to say helps us get better and better so I'm going to pass your comments on to the team in charge of this area. We appreciate the time you took to express your concerns to us. [...]
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    And it took over two weeks to get that back to me.
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 437
    They were having computer/system issues. Had to catch up with the more important stuff. Just saying.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Whenever somebody's had a bad buying experience at a Lego-store you should fill out the online-survey (check your bill it has the link to it) and complain there,the stores take those surveys usually pretty serious and i guess this is one way to make "your voice heard"!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,612
    @BrickDancer I'm sorry you have my sympathies. I got the same feeling when I went the other day also.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

@Diggydoes It doesn't sound like he bought anything to have a receipt.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    The way I've come to understand it, negative surveys hurt the employees the hardest. All of @BrickDancer 's complaints are pretty much all corporate mandates and there's nothing the retail guys can do about them.

I haven't heard of the Birthday BAM promo, at least not in a few years.

Devil's advocate here.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ yeah, and the terrible thing is the store employees still get hit based on bad survey results for things they have no control over: pricing, items out of stock, etc.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Diggydoes You can count on a Survey from me on this one. I've only done it once before, but that was for exceptionally awesome service above and beyond call of duty on day after Christmas at a B&M store. This will be my first negative feedback ever.

@oldtodd33 After jumping those hoops and dodging the hose, I didn't want to go home empty handed with a pocketful of disappointment. So went home with some full RRP SW and a pocketful of disappointment instead.

@GIR3691 Yes that's true, so I'll be specific with my grievances for the corporate policies regarding the discount and promos. But the hard nosed cashier with his incorrect "either one, but not both promos" deserves an honorable mention also. As for the Birthday BAM, I wasn't convinced he knew what he was talking about so called the next closest store and they said "Yes, you may go to the BAM bar and make 1 fig for yourself." The cherry on top, so to speak.

Their anti-reseller crackdown just got Average Joe a smackdown on his Bday. Thanks Lego for the awesome market strategizing, I'm sure to repay the kindness in like. First is if I have to buy from you, it's almost guaranteed to be [email protected] now so I can save my gas & time from your surprises while you pick up the mailman's bill. Second is a pro-active stance to buy from other vendors like Amazon, Walmart, Target since I have a better chance (above 0%) to get a discount. After this Bday experience combined with the Valentines Keychain, they've lost any extra goodwill or benefit of the doubt they built up with me over the years.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    Still, the fine print states that the freebie promos are one-per-person and cannot be combined with other offers. [email protected] I believe only allows you to get a Clone or a VW poly.
    ^Nay! I was so upset about the Clone Lieutenant that I placed a [email protected] order later last night for more SW at full RRP. It had both promos automatically added to cart. That's why I know it would have been better not to stop in at the B&M at all to begin with.
    Pitfall69FollowsCloselyjasor
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

^Nay! I was so upset about the Clone Lieutenant that I placed a [email protected] order later last night for more SW at full RRP. It had both promos automatically added to cart. That's why I know it would have been better not to stop in at the B&M at all to begin with.

I like your optimism, but as per a few recent threads, just because it's in your cart does not mean you'll be getting it.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I haven't had chance to catch up with the whole thread but can anyone tell me if there was anything in these 18 pages to suggest this stupid new rule is going to infect Europe, or specifically the UK at any point?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    No, nothing yet. Its assumed that it will as some point but given Smyths discounts last weekend certainly nothing yet. Hopefully we'll get through Brick Friday before any rule comes into force.
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    @BrickDancer

I feel the same way about Lego B&M stores. I have almost always strictly purchased from my local Lego stores since 2006. I have had a Legoland membership all these years and always had my 10% discount to offset the full RRP. I enjoyed visiting the stores and making frequent purchases to the tune of 6K to 8K per year on my personal collection. Now that Lego is getting tough I have suddenly become less enamored with the store experience. Sure I still love me some Lego, but now I feel like I can join the masses and just go through amazon. Plus with Brickset's amazon updates, I don't have to go bargain hunting like I thought I would have to.

Lego will surely continue to make money off me, albeit through other vendors. I don't know how much of a cut they get from amazon sales, but this is one VIP member (with over 150,000 VIP points earned) that will need to be wooed to earn any more (I'm looking at you free polybags). And I do this all knowing I will again be looked over for the VIP keychain (I think I'm finally over that one).
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I noticed in the most recent Legoland California mailer that there is a 20% off member discount day coming up (in October I believe, I don't have the mailer handy). It'll be curious to see if this discount can be applied to "exclusives". The Big Shop has sets like modulars and Mindstorms, right? The fine print says "some exclusions may apply."
    ^^Exactly the same for me @Nelly (except I'm still not so forgiving on the VIP keychain). It was always a matter of getting an 'experience' with in-store purchases that made it worthwhile, instead of the quick 'tap tap tap boom!' of online buying. But now that the 'experience' is more hassling and annoying, it no longer makes sense. This is before you even consider the tangibles like savings on gas and time pushing the equation further to one side.

Looking at it from TLG's perspective, this will be a very negative result overall in the long term. Less direct sales in-store, smaller crowds at the store, more free shipping costs to cover for same amount of revenue, more bad publicity from customers for coupon exclusions, grumpy staff from buying their own goods at RRP. What good can TLG possibly gain? Save a few bucks but lose a good customer is what I see.
    FollowsCloselyLegoboyLegoFanTexasvwong19BumblepantsBrickarmorjuggles7
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    Apparently the 'no discounts' rule doesn't apply to whatever software Amazon uses to give you personalized Lightning Deals; Arkham Asylum popped up today for a whopping 5% off retail.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ I would imagine that TLG is allowing the 5% off deals.

After all, Target has RedCard for 5% off, Amazon has personal daily deals, and LEGO Brand Retail has VIP points.

Notice that Amazon has done 4 cents off all the exclusives, they didn't use to do that, so I suspect they are now complying with TLG's wishes.

By now, we normally would be seeing at least one of them on sale, even if only TH for $15 off or so, but since this new rule came down August 1st, nothing, not a single sale on anything from Amazon that I've seen.

Very interesting... :)
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Next month I am prepared to get disappointed by the Lego store when I use my discount on Jabba Sail barge to stack up the following deals
    (1) 10% off
    (2) 2x VIP
    (3) free Clone Lt polybags
    (4) free Winter set

I expect they will be out of the Clone Lt by mid October, but I hope the free winter set will be allowed in the fine print. Crapshoot...
    edited September 2013
    richl said:

Apparently the 'no discounts' rule doesn't apply to whatever software Amazon uses to give you personalized Lightning Deals; Arkham Asylum popped up today for a whopping 5% off retail.

As funny as that is, it's encouraging to know that Amazon is either ignoring Lego's decree or has a separate deal for specific discounts.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I doubt this policy will hold up forever. Already next month, by using Double VIP, you can get a 9% discount plus a couple freebies. Will amazon raise it's discounts to 9% when this happens?

How does TLG plan on moving a ton of sets this Christmas without at least some sort of discount?
    cloaked7chromedigi
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    richl said:

Lightning Deals aren't personalized. It sounds like you're referring to Quick Picks, which are 5% off Amazon's current price.
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    vwong19 said:

Next month I am prepared to get disappointed by the Lego store when I use my discount on Jabba Sail barge to stack up the following deals
    (1) 10% off
    (2) 2x VIP
    (3) free Clone Lt polybags
    (4) free Winter set

I expect they will be out of the Clone Lt by mid October, but I hope the free winter set will be allowed in the fine print. Crapshoot...

If your 10% off is referring to the coupon from the catalog, I believe that it expires before the winter set promotion.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ True, but a good store will take it anyway... Expiration dates generally should have some slack in them for customer service reasons. It is a pretty unfriendly move to reject a coupon a day or two post EXP date.

I point back to my original point. The customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer.

Stores need to make a profit to stay in business, but they also need to keep customers happy. Having some flexibility in their business model to allow a bit of slack to let customers feel "taken care of" goes a long way to keeping them happy.

After all, we're buying boxes of plastic for a lot of money, if these "deals" are so expensive, raise RRP by 10%, then go back to allowing the use of coupons and stacking of promo polybags.

Give the customers their cake. :)
    cloaked7
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    binaryeye said:

Lightning Deals aren't personalized. It sounds like you're referring to Quick Picks, which are 5% off Amazon's current price.

Yes, sorry that's what I meant.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    ^ I won't knowingly attempt to get that deal now. That would have been embarrassing on my part. The Sail Barge is not a good price without incentive.

@Brickdancer - sorry to hear about your bad experience. I never heard of the birthday BAM. What store did that occur at (somewhere in SoCal I assume).

I use to enjoy our Legoland park pass and the benefits it included related to Lego store purchases. Without them I won't be renewing our passes as often to recover from burnout. I wonder how it will effect attendance and sales at the parks...
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 807
    Get while the getting is better than what it will be down the road. If I knew this change was coming I wouldn't have parted out a Town Hall for a MOC before building it.

I absolutely love the LEGO Store I frequent and would never wish anything negative on them or protest in front of the store as was mentioned earlier in this thread. I have never had such a good experience with any type of store in my life. It does sting to not get sets at a discount that I was accustomed to getting for 30% off. I realize it isn't the employees fault but it does bother me. Even though the terms of the discount have changed, the employees treat me so well that I wouldn't consider NOT shopping at this store.

That being said, I know I can routinely buy LEGO at better than 30% off at Target and Wal-Mart. I keep on going to the LEGO Store for the employees, LUG window and Exclusives. If I can buy the Exclusives elsewhere cheaper (even a Red Card 5% off is cheaper than RRP with VIP as the 5% comes off immediately and doesn't mean I have to come back to get the 5% VIP) this is one less reason to go to the LEGO Store.

As many an employee have told me, LEGO looks at LBR as unnecessary to their business. LBR accounts for so little of their profit that managers have told me the whole LBR can be shut down at anytime because of this. I guess LBR are the AFOLs of the LEGO business model.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited September 2013
    ^ I would imagine LBR stores are mostly used as marketing and to have a physical presence, not for actually moving stock (that's just a good by product).

If other retailers (Amazon etc) in the US really are not going to discount (more then 5% etc) anymore then that is a shame as there are still some larger licensed sets that are almost double the price over here. Getting them on discount helps absorb the postage cost.

That said though we have had it pretty good with some good deals in the last week or two.
    #10234 SOH for $287
    #10214 TB for $242 (limited stock but available for $269).

A bunch of other #10xxx sets at around 28%-32% off. Good thing is I am spending more locally I suppose.

I just hope the new rules don't spread down under.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ And the cheapest #41999's in the world!
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

^ And the cheapest #41999's in the world!

Yes and those, my backorder for this set is suppose to ship this week, according to the email [email protected] sent me last week.

My bank balance has not liked all these good deals :p
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    It will be my luck--in tandem with pessimism--that I buy "too much" just for 2x VIP, then all this hoopla is laid to rest by some great non-LBR discounts in Nov and Dec. $120 FBs? $130 Arkhams?! $150 Town Halls?!? It's already happened this year and nobody knows if it will happen again; and that uncertainty is both hopeful and awful.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    edited September 2013
    Well it sounds like that is gone too, if that really is the case then October at LEGO is going to be the best to get.. until they decide that exclusives should be exempt from double points too.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^^ I'm banking on Double VIP being as good as gets for exclusives now. So, my exclusive catch up list is getting knocked out next month rather than wait for a sale that most likely isn't going to happen.

I guess this kind of makes shopping for my own collection a little easier. No need to chase and wait on sales anymore. Now I will just pull the trigger during double VIP or when a must have freebie is offered.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    ^ That is exactly what TLG expects us to do, and there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839

I got a slightly different response from LEGO:

We try really hard to make sure everything we do is imaginative, creative and fun, just like our toys. I'm sorry to hear you think we got it wrong this time. Listening to what LEGO® fans have to say helps us get better and better so I'm going to pass your comments on to the team in charge of this area. We appreciate the time you took to express your concerns to us. [...]
    Exact wording on the response I got.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Seems like the only good time to by legos will be Target and Walmart clearance time.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    ^ still, those clearance times will probably not include the exclusives, therefore, the best time to buy exclusives will be October, specially after the 15th with the double points plus free holiday set.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Bought the new WV Market today and the 10% off coupon from the catalog did not work. No problem, I bought enough that I still got a good savings.

Bought the new WV Market today and the 10% off coupon from the catalog did not work. No problem, I bought enough that I still got a good savings.

Huh? How did you still get good savings if the coupon didn't work on the one thing you wanted to use it on?
  • lululuLegolululuLego Member Posts: 6
    So is there a definitive list of what sets are excluded from the 10% coupon?

I've read over this thread and I see mention that sets >$100 don't qualify, vs talk of some "exclusion list" handed out to stores (which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't necessarily match the sets marked as "Exclusive" or "Hard-to-Find" on [email protected]).

And sorry if its already posted, as I only skimmed through 18 pages of comments, a lot of which seem to be discussing the definition of the word "may"... I just want to use my damn coupon on the most expensive set that I want that qualifies for its use.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329

So is there a definitive list of what sets are excluded from the 10% coupon?

I've read over this thread and I see mention that sets >$100 don't qualify, vs talk of some "exclusion list" handed out to stores (which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't necessarily match the sets marked as "Exclusive" or "Hard-to-Find" on [email protected]).

And sorry if its already posted, as I only skimmed through 18 pages of comments, a lot of which seem to be discussing the definition of the word "may"... I just want to use my damn coupon on the most expensive set that I want that qualifies for its use.

My understanding is, the coupon excludes any set that starts with 1000 ( ie: 12005, 14876 etc.) and any sets not sold at all 3 major retailers ( Walmart, Target, or TRU) as in store exclusives or hard to find sets.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
    List has been published on that one of this thread:
    10188 Death Star™
    10197 Fire Brigade
    10211 Grand Emporium
    10214 Tower Bridge
    10218 Pet Shop
    10221 Super Star Destroyer
    10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
    10223 Kingdoms Joust
    10224 Town Hall
    10225 SW R2D2