Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Suggestions for Winter Village backdrop?

Every year my kids and I break out our Winter Village collection and set it up in our bay window (facing inwards so we can play with it). This works great except for one thing... the sun. Direct sunlight is bad for Legos.

Can anyone suggest a backdrop for our set up? I'm thinking of some sort of winter mountain scene printed on a rolled piece of paper or plastic. They have such things for aquariums, but the scene is typically underwater or dense forest. Any ideas?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,874
    Never open your curtains. They are watching you.
    carlqPitfall69chromedigi
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,660
    Check some x-mas wrapping paper, some have large pattern/scenary that could be used as back drops.
    JenniSkadar
    Plain white card works well for winter, or half white / half blue to imply snow and sky.

You don't want anything too detailed, as it takes away from the main point of the show - the lego.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Dark blue with stars, flakes or white spots to simulate a light snow effect (did this last year). A second sheet laid on top of plain white cut in a wave shape can work as snowy hills. All should be common and easily found at crafts stores.
    vitreolumFollowsCloselyCam_n_StuSkadar
  • ChgoMattChgoMatt USAMember Posts: 108
    ^Poke holes through the dark blue backdrop and insert white LEDs. Twinkling, if you can find them.
  • ChgoMattChgoMatt USAMember Posts: 108
    There are also printed backdrops from ceramic village companies such as Department 56.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    CCC said:

Apparently, you don't want to open curtains in Northampton, UK. You might see this guy staring back at you.

gifinim
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited September 2013
    ^More like "It" is watching you. So creepy to watch Pennywise the clown as a kid.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^^ I wanted to make a post about that asking who from here it was but it wouldn't have been a LEGO related thread and probably wouldve been deleted. So much need here for an OT forum.
    Pitfall69dougts
    Pitfall69 said:

CCC said:

Apparently, you don't want to open curtains in Northampton, UK. You might see this guy staring back at you.

Not for much longer ....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Northampton-Clown-Catcher/513145698773018?fref=ts

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    That the same bloke, he is the clown and catcher. Takes all sorts I suppose.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    Hahahaha. To be honest, I am now going to put a clown in my Lego city. I'm going to move him around every week and take pictures.

• pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    Not exactly an original idea though, London has had a clown called Boris wondering around for years.
    carlq
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2013
    Well yeah, but that clown up there was Pennywise, which is a clown on a whole different level ;)
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    edited September 2013
    Phone crashed and repeat posted, sorry
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    @tensor that photo is not Pennywise, it's some random dude in Northampton, who thought he would make himself into a mini celeb.
    But you are right, Pennywise was on a different level, still hate clowns, with a passion!
    JP3804
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    edited September 2013
    I use this backdrop for winter village and general displays now. It was designed to fit in an IKEA shelving unit.

Under construction:

You could protect the back side with Xmas wrapping paper so in the window it looks like a present.
    BrickDancercardgeniusPaperballparkPitfall69messycarlq
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,725
    ^ Very impressive, but where will the other three sets go? ;)
    That is an expensive backdrop :)
    Nice. But I cannot see any clowns, so it's off topic :-)
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163

^ Very impressive, but where will the other three sets go? ;)

I managed to get three sets in last year and the wife has given the go-ahead to expand into the adjoining shelves. :)

I will probably have to dismantle the "sides" as I will need the bricks for expansion sideways unless they have more of 2x brick in that blue in the PaB wall @ BrickCon. :)

• ToymakerToymaker Member Posts: 19
    We have our display inserted into an IKEA Billy unit. I've added a semi-circular shelf onto a standard Billy shelf which enables the display to project somewhat into the living room. It's about 50cm off the floor which is ideal for the children to play with.

As you can see from the pic, there is *just* enough space for 10235 and then in 2014 it's another extension, which will be easy enough.

I use a cardboard backdrop (navy/white) - my only concern is that it is very near a window, but there's not much sun for the 4 weeks it's up !
    TheLoneTensorLegoMom1tedwardSkadar
    ^It's a great layout, but I challenge your assertion that there's enough room for 10235 :)