Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Modular Custom Designs

123457»

Comments

• AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,648
    The interior of Ollivander's and Flourish and Bolts are very similar as well!!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    ^In the movie they used the same set for both shops.
  • Murdoch17Murdoch17 Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2013
    @samiam391: Do you have LDD files uploaded anywhere for those buildings? I could really use them!
    klatu003
    @Pitfall69, Yeah!!
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 280
    Here's a picture of an LDD modular bank that I designed a while back. The white is a bit bright but I enjoyed designing it. I wasn't willing to put into the time to acquire the pieces from Bricklink.

additional pictures: flickr.com/photos/mneuenswander/sets/72157624054833652/
    Pitfall69jasorklatu003
    @Adzbadboy Yeahhhhhhh Brotherrrrrrr!!!!
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Gorgeous @MCNwakeboard
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,283
    @rocao - That looks fantastic, the school bus is brilliant in particular!
    Pitfall69
    @rocao, ^I like The Dark Knight vibe!!
    I know everyone seems to be doing it, but I can't get into the brick built roads.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^Have you made them Chima yellow? I hear it's a fantastical experience.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,260
    Pitfall69 said:

I know everyone seems to be doing it, but I can't get into the brick built roads.

In the end it is probably cheaper to do a baseplate+bricks to make a road then it is to buy enough road baseplate packs to get the number of straights you want. Plus it is more flexible and you can do 16 wide instead of 32 to save space. It also alows you to build up medians that the baseplates don't have.

There are a lot of benefits to it but I'm not a big fan of the way it looks but will probably end up doing something like that on my city setup to make it a more seamless look.
    edited July 2013
    Why can't you just use 4 8x16 studless plates to make up your road? You can add the center line and the curbs with normal flat tiles. It's gotta be less expensive and way less time consuming than using all those tiles.
    ^ "studless plate" ? Isn't that a tile? And if it is studless how do you add the tiles to make the curbs and lines?
    edited July 2013
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=48288

You place these on a base plate.

I didn't know these were called tiles as well because they are so large and have a different finish than the normal shiny tiles.
    ^ The average price new for that part is more than 16 1x8 tiles. Plus those aren't exactly that available so the ability to expand will run out quick.
    Pitfall69
    I was thinking what if a corner modular building was inverted but realised that the exterior is very limited and is good for interior space but it just doesn't work with the existing modulars as they are about the exterior details.

What do you think??
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,476
    graphite said:

^ The average price new for that part is more than 16 1x8 tiles. Plus those aren't exactly that available so the ability to expand will run out quick.

#90498 is often cheaper, especially if you want DBG and can find the Hogwarts game cheap.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    ^ I knew there must have been a reason why I bought the Harry Potter game on clearance.
    ^^ Ah, I was looking at black. Didn't see that DBG had more available. I like the contrast of the black road though so that is what I'm planning on doing.
    I know there are "blacktop" roads and driveways and parking lots, but most streets and highways are not black and over time the black fades and looks more like a darker gray.
    Anyway...I just realized there is a discussion about brick built roads already posted. Maybethe mods can move this part to that discussion.
    ^ They may not be black anymore due to fading but while a lot of highways are concrete, asphalt (which starts black) covers significantly more road top than concrete (at least in the US). A lot of roads were and are built initially with a concrete base but are topped with asphalt. It also depends on what area of the country you live in on how much asphalt you see based on road usage.

Found this quote in an article from 2008
    "While concrete may be more sustainable, more than 90 percent of the roads in the United States are asphalt, according to the state’s asphalt and concrete associations."

Either way it is a moot point. My opinion is still that the black roads stand out better than grey especially when lined up with modulars that all have grey tiling. In my drives in different parts of the country a small town with cool buildings and freshly paved blacktop always looked so clean.
    Yes, they do look clean when first done :)

I'm not going to argue though, I'm going to stick with my darkgreay/dark bluish gray road plates.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    what year is Lego designing the Modular series after?

-FB has a vintage fire truck. Looks a lot like a 1925 Reo Fire Engine.
    -Palace Cinema has a vintage convertable.
    -Town hall has a personal computer with a flat screen... ???

...1985 at the earliest?

Maybe they should drop some of those $100's everybody is flashing around on a modern fire truck.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    ^ I really like it, well done!
    T_Lars
    ^^crazy the difference between light grey and bley.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,476
    ^^^ A row of those all exactly the same outer design but in different colours would look lovely.
    T_Lars
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^^^^I love the old-school stereo system.
    T_Lars
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    And the Rothko on the wall...
    T_Lars
    It is a very clean building.

Maybe something like this.
    T_LarsEKSamjasor
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    Thanks to all. I appreciate the input.
    ^/^^^^That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. A row of similar townhomes in different colors and slightly different trim/doors/windows/etc. I've seen some nice examples of something similar on moc pages. I'll post more pics when or if I follow up with this plan.
    edited September 2013
    I made this by using mostly older spare parts.
    brickedincarlqkhmellymeljasorTheLoneTensor
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    Was making a modular costume shop (so many spare CMF pieces obviously) but the idea was soon scrapped. Working on a revised version currently. Will be 16x32
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^^smaller foot print buildings are so interesting and challenging for used space
  • Murdoch17Murdoch17 Member Posts: 22
    Just getting started helping my Father (who's into Modular buildings in a big way, having every building except for Market Street, and three modded Apartment buildings!) build this mega MOC of (mostly) my own design. It's based off several other people's MOC's and the Huanted House, but with my own twist. It's fully furnished, with a spiral staircase to each floor and a Ford Model A in the garage. I can upload the LXF to MOCPages if anyone wants it as well.
    PoochyAdeelZubairPitfall69
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Very nice. Please upload the LXF if you don't mind. Do you plan on building it with real bricks?
    ^
    Murdoch17 said:

Just getting started helping my Father... build this mega MOC of (mostly) my own design.

Poochy
    I always feel overwhelmed with what MOC I am going to do next. I have so many ideas. The smaller footprints are less intimidating to me.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ This is somewhat my problem as well. I currently have 4-5 very different ideas floating around that I want to work on, but I haven't actually started on any. That, and this compulsion to get ALL my loose brick sorted first (I have a LOT of unsorted brick at present), leads me to continue to procrastinate building.
    Exactly. I'm all over the place. I have 2-3 Train MOC's going at the same time as well as a Modular Building. All of that plus my suspended train rail. I'm going insane.
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    jasor said:

^^smaller foot print buildings are so interesting and challenging for used space

Plus I have an excuse to get rid of some spare CMF pieces :D
    But it added two 8x16s next to the 16x32 so its now its a 24x32 because I had it going Pet Shop style with stairs leading to an above apartment so now its not nearly as cramped.