Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are Lego Minecraft sets overpriced?

AdeelZubairAdeelZubair Member Posts: 2,704
I have really wanted to buy all three Minecraft sets but they seem overpriced for the size compared to other sets for £29.99/£34.99. In addition to buying all three I wanted to buy over 10 Minecraft sets to create a large Minecraft world to fit on my shelve but calculating the price for over 10 Minecraft sets total over £300.

Are the Minecraft sets really worth it for the price, compared to other Lego sets available?

Comments

• rancorbaitrancorbait Member Posts: 1,842
    I think it would be safe to say almost all LEGO is overpriced.

I think it is overpriced, you would probably be better off buying bricks from Lego customer service or Bricklink.
    AdeelZubair
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Member Posts: 4,268
    As with every set, they're worth the price if you like them enough.

My advice? If you like them, get them while you can. You're very unlikely to see them with discounts, and you don't know how long they'll be around for...
    AdeelZubair
  • NintendawgNintendawg Member Posts: 18
    In a word: Yes.

I think they are. Tiny plates are very handy, but the RRP is just too high.
  • vitreolumvitreolum Member Posts: 1,406
    Price per part ratio is normal, better than any creator set in this range.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    Well if you buy 10 of any set it's going to seem expensive. If you're going to build a bigger minecraft set, just order a bunch of piece from BL.
  • vitreolumvitreolum Member Posts: 1,406
    If he wants the "minifigs", it's not really worth it on BL.
    AdeelZubair
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,632
    I was in the midst of a long paragraph about value judgements and economics but then I thought 'eh, why bother'. So I will just say this: They have sold 40 Kajillion* of these and show no sign of slowing down.

*Kajillion is a very real number and should be treated as fact.
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    They are underpriced compared to what many people were willing to pay last Christmas.
    PaperballparkAdeelZubairyys4uLegoFanTexas
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Member Posts: 4,027
    Perceived value means something different to everyone. If its a set you like and you can afford it, buy it.
    AdeelZubair
  • LegoboyLegoboy Member Posts: 8,827
    edited September 2013
    ^ A fair view here will see something, like it, can afford it, but no way will buy it if it's overpriced.

Mr Gold. No bloody way can I bring myself to part with the amount of cash required to secure one - whether I meet all of the criteria or not.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 286
    If they cost more than you're willing to pay, then they are overpriced.
    AdeelZubairchromedigi
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    "No, they are priced just right."

-Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen
    vitreolumgifinimAdeelZubair
  • gifinimgifinim Member Posts: 174
    Like @rancorbait said, BrickLink or Pick-a-Brick (walls, NOT the website) would allow you to get the parts at a much more reasonable cost, and the instructions are usually available online. Maybe buy one to get the official look and feel of the set and then MOC the rest.
    edited September 2013
    ^ The part-out value of #21102 on Bricklink is almost exactly the RRP of the set (in the UK at least), so you might as well buy it as a set.
  • gifinimgifinim Member Posts: 174
    ^ I must admit I didn't check, but I'm shocked at that. I don't know if I'm more shocked that Bricklink is following market prices or that the Minecraft set (plus associated license fee) is a fair price.

I think I need to go and lie down.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Member Posts: 1,842
    ^^^I was referring to their Brick and pieces selection but I haven't actually checked their prices either.
    Tbh it's extremely rare that the average part-out value of a set on BL is less than the RRP of the set in question.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair Member Posts: 2,704
    Thanks for the advice and tips everyone :)

I have come to a conclusion:
    -Yesterday I bought #21102 and I will only buy one of each Lego Minecraft set for now. So in October I can get #21105 and #21106 for Double VIP Points and a free gift. This is because I want other Lego sets that are available in stores.

-I realised that these sets have better display value if you expand them but not too much as more sets could surface in the future. So i'm planning to rearrange the bottoms and the tops to create a 4x3 Micro World, Now time to wait for October to come...