Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] LEGO Store September Promotion

ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
edited September 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
While it is cheaper for me to order online than to drive 25 miles to the LEGO store (less taxes + either cash back or helping Brickset, not taking about money saved on gas) I still like like to go there to talk to the staff and to "just" be there.

I check-ed out with $76 of items, including $60 of star wars stuff to take advantage of both freebies. To my surprise on checkout, I am told I have to chose between the two freebies but I can't have both. I argued that the same items at [email protected] will automatically add both to my cart and after a talk to the supervisor I eventually got them both.

It is probably specific to my store as they are always strict on limits (like limit of 1 for both B-Wing and #41999 in the recent past), I was taken back, soon there will be more cons than pros to make the drive...

Comments

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    That wasn't the case for me today at my San Diego store... Got both.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    In the past, if you had over the dollar amount but nothing from the theme, you could add a trinket or two and it would then include both promos. I think this was the case even in August with the Friends and GS polybags. No more, alas, no more. Found this out trying to add a SW keychain to my order today. But it does appear you get both if you buy $75+ SW stuff. I'm talking just about [email protected], by the way, not brick and mortar.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

I was taken back, soon there will be more cons than pros to make the drive...

Someone needs to inform TLG management that there comes a line that they can cross, it isn't marked on any map, on any road, or on any balance sheet, but there is indeed a line...

...cross it and the image goes from positive to negative, and it is hard and expensive to go back.

What just happened to you strikes me as petty, a 50 cent polybag (the SW figure) for customer goodwill is a bargain every day of the week.

These decisions seem to be made by bean counters, and that never ends well.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    ^ I agree. But it seems the supervisor took a hold of the situation and did exactly what should've been done. I'm sure the cashiers were just following the rules given to them. Good on the supervisor for providing good customer service, if he or she didn't put up too much of a fight.

But I agree, the penny pinching is head scratching. LFT, you like old sayings right? :) Penny wise, dollar foolish.
    :) My favorite is, "stepping over dollars to pick up pennies"

But the idea remains the same...
    chromedigi
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Or- Can't see the forest for the trees.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    So another cutback to go with the rest. I remember fondly getting 1x rhe freebie if I spent twice the required amount, etc. they cut that awhile back, and I'm ok with that, as it was never intended to work that way

Thus one? Wow. But I guess they figure only us hardcores even know or care and all the "normal" parents just think. " wow. Cool!"
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,148
    I was able to get both freebies in store today without any problems. I didn't even ask. They were both automatically added by the cashier, who happened to be the assistant manager.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Was told today that I couldn't make multiple purchases to get more than 1 Trooper or more than 1 Camper. I put everything I had (about $300 worth) back on the shelves, except $75 worth and left with my 1 Trooper and 1 Camper. They lost out on about $200 in sales, and I left, an unhappy customer. Lose/lose.
    Yep, all for something that cost them a dollar to make.

Bean counters I tell you...
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 514
    The offer clearly states one per customer and cannot be combined with other promos or offers. I dont see the issue if they are enforcing their own policies that are clearly stated. For those people who go to a brand store with manager who give them extras or circumvent company policy, well, guess they are lucky. And some times life is unfair.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    I had a better experience today. My total was just over $140 and I asked whether they would split into 2 transactions if I bought $10 extra to get 2 camper vans. The cashier tossed another poly into the bag- "no need". Thanks!
    margot
    wrangler, you mean the fine print on the back bottom of this month's store calendar? I don't think that's clearly stated. I bet you could make a [email protected] order, get one each of the promo polys, complete your order, then make another order, and get another pair of polys. But they won't let you do the same thing in a store? That make sense to you, wrangler?

The offer clearly states one per customer and cannot be combined with other promos or offers.

You are completely correct, but that really is beside the point.

There is the legal answer, then there is what consumers expect. Run afoul of consumers and the backlash can be strong.

TLG has the right to run their stores however they wish, and customers have the right not to shop there.

It is a two way street.

Sometimes as a retailer it is better to just let customers have just a bit more, make them feel like they got a good deal. Keeps them coming back and the profits coming in.

Start behaving like Mr. Scrooge and customers might not come back.
    juggles7
    edited September 2013
    Look u can rationalize it all you want. The bottom line is terms are posted on the website. I'm not going to start a rehash of the reseller ethics thread, but all you need to do is look at how many of these freebies end up on eBay or elsewhere for sale and u get an idea of how many are being bought just for resale. And yes, I'm sure u can circumvent the terms and place multiple orders.... But don't cry foul when restrictions tighten up even more because TLG is sick of people abusing their offers.
    It isn't rationalization and it has nothing to do with resellers.

Stores can have all the terms and conditions they want, and shoppers can take their money elsewhere.

JCPenney had a perfectly logical rational behind their move to everyday low prices and dropping the constant sales.

Remind me how well that worked for them?

Stores are not entitled to a dime, buyers are in charge, if a store does not provide what they want, the buyers will go elsewhere.

That is not rationalization, that is reality.
    chromedigi
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
    I don't think buying $75+ of SW and expecting one of each two freebies is circumventing the rule, that is what [email protected] does by default..
    ^^jc Penney had and inept board who hired an over priced CEO who took the shareholders for millions in the process of destroying the company. Jcp also sells largely commoditized products which can be found in a multitude of other retailers. The proprietary brands Jcp does have are driven by perception of savings...not as a unique product. TLG sells a unique product with a cult following. So , go ahead and stick it to them and go buy another brand...oh wait, that's not an option

So , go ahead and stick it to them and go buy another brand...oh wait, that's not an option

^ Sure it is, perhaps I'll go buy an iPad instead...

It doesn't have to be a plastic building brick... :)
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I was told that I could NOT use the 10% off coupon on Ewok Village or any exclusive set. Apoarently it was in the fine print none of us read. Oh well, still was able to use $20 in VIP points though. I did get the VW bus and the clone lieutenant.
    I want 5 Camper Van polybags to give as Christmas gifts. This is my chance to get them, but Lego wants me to beg, jump through hoops, make multiple trips to their store, play games, etc. Short of that, they seem determined to give me one, just one, per lifetime.

Oh, and while they were being stingy with their promo polybags, I noticed 2 other previous promotional bags there; Chima Acro Fighter and the Iron Man promo were right there, left over from previous promotions. There was a limit of 5 on them. That just adds insult to injury.

Of course the Acro Fighter and the Iron Man were once "one per customer", too. Makes it hard to have any respect for their "rules".

• ckenda1ckenda1 Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2013
    I just got back from another run to the Lego Store and I didn't:

A) Buy $50 worth of stuff
    B) Buy anything Star Wars related

And I was still given a SW Clone Lieutenant poly.

My oldest son and I just went to let him pick a few smaller things for his birthday.

I guess some stores just seem to be much more strict than others.
    margot
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979

Look u can rationalize it all you want. The bottom line is terms are posted on the website. I'm not going to start a rehash of the reseller ethics thread, but all you need to do is look at how many of these freebies end up on eBay or elsewhere for sale and u get an idea of how many are being bought just for resale. And yes, I'm sure u can circumvent the terms and place multiple orders.... But don't cry foul when restrictions tighten up even more because TLG is sick of people abusing their offers.

Uh. Reseller ethics? Circumvent? Abuse?
    Sheesh. This thread isn't anything about that.
    The OP has a valid expectation that the promos he could get by staying at home and ordering, he should receive within the store. Considering this has been normal operating procedure in the past, yes, it is yet another surprising change.

margotcarlqjuggles7LegoFanTexas
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I went today and got the series 11 and ask how strict it was about starwars to get the minifig, and he said had to be starwars. So I got the complete set of minifigs and 5 battle packs and got both freebies no problem.

I have had them give me more then one on a single order one time during hulk promo. I have been told if you go outside and take your things to your car and come back that they would have no problem giving you a second promo item as long as you spend how ever much.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    @Canuck26- You are working for the wrong company. You need to get a job with TLG and oversee all their US stores!
    cloaked7
  • Canuck26Canuck26 Member Posts: 55
    You know we are getting our first LEGO store here (opening on the 20th) and I thought about applying for the SM position. I did a little research and quickly realized that I would have to work about another 35 years at the rate they pay. Five years sounds a whole lot better to me. They probably aren't looking for the grandma type anyway.
    @Canuck26 - Thank you for sharing... You couldn't be more correct...
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 808
    @dougts
    Excellent post! Well stated and just want to say thank you!
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    edited September 2013
    While I see no reason that the OP shouldn't have been given both promo items, it was in my opinion a stupid decision, just something to consider.

These items by their nature are limited. If every purchase was broken down into £50 chunks or whatever it needs to be then the stores are going to get rid of them quicker. True you are making the customer happy but if there are none left for the last week of the promotion then you have unhappy customers.

Of course the ideal is they should make more, send more but in reality that won't be happening because they don't want a massive overstock.

Most importantly it isn't the fault of the staff checking you out. It would be great if they had more discretion but in the majority of cases their hands will be tied.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    The other issue is these polybags are limited per store and they'd rather be individually stingy . It's better to only give you one than give you 10, run out, and have to deny 9 other customers anything.

I'd blame higher-ups for not sending enough sets. Of course, they don't have to give anything away, so they just set a number and make it first-come-first-serve.
    bmwlego
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2013
    starfire2 said:

I was told that I could NOT use the 10% off coupon on Ewok Village or any exclusive set. Apoarently it was in the fine print none of us read. Oh well, still was able to use $20 in VIP points though. I did get the VW bus and the clone lieutenant.

you need a microscope to read that fine print!
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    I just got back from picking up a Jedi Defender (89) and they gave me both polys without asking (although I was wondering when he only got out the trooper at first... the other one was down the counter and he had to step over the get it lol)... maybe you guy didn't do the math on the $76 worth of separate items and had to be corrected?

as for ordering from lego.com, I did 2 orders back in may and only got 1 poly because they reviewed the order and removed one as per the 1 per household policy although I am not sure they do that for all orders (my account gets an extra review everytime because of a flag from an accidental ebay purchase that no one (from ebay or lego) bothered to tell me was a scammer using stolen CCs to sell merchandise from lego.com until it was too late to return the dang thing and restore my credit with them :( ah well... lesson learned)
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    @Canuck26 Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. C/S is one area where a company, business, store can set themselves apart from the competition. And, the competition isn't just similar brands. It's anything you can spend your $$ on. As your example showed, a huge impression can be made with a few cents. How much does being polite cost? A smile? But, they can go a long way. And, what a difference a poly can make! :-)
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    VW poly is gone from US [email protected] No longer adds to cart and is pulled from Shop home page.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Fashion Valley store at San Diego still had both Clone Lt and VW polybags as of yesterday afternoon.

I had a great experience there yesterday and received both polybags with qualifying purchases.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited September 2013

VW poly is gone from US [email protected] No longer adds to cart and is pulled from Shop home page.

Not a surprise to me. I figured that would happen. I figured LEGO would make less than the demand would be. It's a great set. Will probably go to $25-30 before long, if it hasn't already.

Glad that I was able to get a couple of them. One of the best bagged sets LEGO has ever made. Maybe the best? If anyone believes there is a better one I would like to know what they believe it is.