Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

EXPIRED: 50% off one item at Barnes and Noble (including Lego, obviously)

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
edited April 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
Barnes and Noble has another "mystery" savings coupon available where the recipient is not supposed to know the level of their discount (10%-50%) until checkout. Of course, as is always the case with the prodigious citizens of the internet, the mystery and luck has been removed from the equation and below are direct links to the 50% off coupons:

50% off coupon for non-members
50% off coupon for B&N members

Be mindful that the retail price in-store of Lego is higher than MSRP and also higher than on the B&N website, so do some research on which sets offer the most value. My estimation is that the actual savings on a few sets can be as much as 30%.

Also, since Lego and science-fiction often go hand in hand, you might want to consider pre-ordering "Star Wars: Complete Saga" or "Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Edition" on Blu-Ray.

Lastly, feel free to feign excitement when you're told that the discount is 50% off. Last time they ran this coupon, the cashier told me I was the first 50% off she had scanned all day :P

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited April 2011
    I just got back from my local Barnes and Noble and was surprised that quite a few sets I checked were not marked up, the largest of which was 7498 Police Station for $99.99. With a 50% off coupon, that's as sweet as a deal as you're likely to find until clearance time.

They also had a variety of Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pharaoh's Quest, City, and Creator sets.

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    I just got back from my local Barnes and Noble and was surprised that quite a few sets I checked were not marked up, the largest of which was 7498 Police Station for $99.99. With a 50% off coupon, that's as sweet as a deal as you're likely to find until clearance time.

They also had a variety of Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pharaoh's Quest, City, and Creator sets.

Which HP did they have? Can you use those coupons more than once?
    Thanks
    They have Hagrid's Hut, The Burrow, and they've had Hogwarts Express in the past, but I didn't notice it there yesterday (though I didn't specifically look for it either).

The coupon is meant to be single use, but it's the typical situation where you can circumvent it by just going to a different cashier.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 315
    I also used the coupon last night to purchase a Pharaoh's Quest set, which wasn't my top choice, but the selection at my B&N was rather slim.
  • nadnerb112nadnerb112 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    I think im going to pre-order Captain's Cabin .It cost less than SW Battlepack.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Thanks for the heads-up on that one! My wife just printed out a few coupons, gave one to a friend with some money, and went to pick up 2 sets at 50% off.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Dang! I was just there last night. I guess I will have to go back. :) 50% of LEGO is always a reason to go.
  • tommyboatommyboa Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2011
    gave one non-member coupon to The Boss (wife) to use for her book and they wanted her membership # said she didn't have one ,but then he gave it to her anyhow. So I went to the other side of the store, and the lady asked for my email address, gave her the " Uh?" look and said I really don't give that out. Then she said "Oh, we already have it, that's how you got the coupon." Playing clueless has gotten me through a lot of things in life.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Made one more run yesterday before the coupon expired. There wasn't much there that I wanted for myself but they'll will be great for resell.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    They have [...] The Burrow [...]
    I was really hoping to pick this up using this coupon, but they didn't have it at either location close to me. In fact, the first store I tried had very little LEGO in general, and what they did have didn't interest me. I checked the second location late last night and they had a bunch of SW, Pharaoh's Quest, and one NinjaGo set - so I nabbed an 8088 ARC-170 for $30!
  • jayr17jayr17 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the heads up, I was about to print the coupon from the link they sent me, and 50% is better than 15% or 20% or 30%. My wife would not believe me that it would be 50%. So we picked up a Police Station and proceded to the counter... acted particularly astonished when the cashier said it was 60% off total (member's 10% plus 50%)! They did not have any other sets we needed so we did not try it a second time. I wonder what they will think when they do their analysis and see that almost all 50% coupons were used to buy LEGOs?
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ If the other percentage coupons weren't used to buy LEGOs as much, they'll think someone cheated the system ;)
    I wonder what they will think when they do their analysis and see that almost all 50% coupons were used to buy LEGOs?
    The 50% coupon was circulated around the entire internet population as a whole, and a lot of comments I read had people using them on expensive blu-ray boxed sets and book collections.

They may decide to discontinue this type of promotion altogether or make a system that is not as exploitable, but it won't be because of Lego purchases alone.

Having said all that, this is the 2nd time that the coupons have circulated, and both times people reported that their cashiers were genuinely surprised to see that their coupons rang up as 50% so we may just be a drop in the bucket.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Well, if it comes up again, please do share! Thanks for posting the links and sharing the love. :)
  • mackrelmackrel Member Posts: 75
    I was fortunate to pick up 8088 and 7930 both for 50% off. Thank you B & N and the fine forum member who posted the link.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    Hey, they have this again. I just received my email last night, good from August 25th, 2011 through August 28th, 2011. 10%, 15%, 20%, 30% or 50% off one item.

Last time someone was nice enough to link to the 50% printable coupon...maybe someone could find that and link to it again for this promo.

A search found this also: The 30% off code A4N4M4V is still working...so you can try that at Barnes & Noble for check out.