Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Altering parts *ducks*

ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
Quick back story:

Picked up a 10175 online last week, being sold as incomplete. I have a lot of extra parts so I figured "heck, I likely have most of the missing parts just sitting here (I did). At this point I'm only short about $1.50 worth of parts to complete the set. Not bad for half off the usual price.

EXCEPT it is missing ALL of the X8 light bluish gray Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 10L / 8.0cm ( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=75c10 )

To confound this problem I find that (naturally) this is the only set in which that piece appears, and there are only two for sale currently in the US at incredible prices (also a seller in Thailand with a little better price, but we're still talking $20 for eight hoses before the considerable shipping.)

Now, I notice that the LBG hose that is exactly twice the size of this one is available for considerably less and (bear with me here) would cost half the price if I cut them in half. *ducks*

HOWEVER, I wanted to get the community's feeling about such an act before taking out an exact-o knife. Truthfully, I just want to know what YOU would do? As I see it I have three options:

1. Pay around $15-$16 for the X2 length hoses and cut them.

2. Pay around $25-$30 for eight hoses from Thailand

3. Pay around $25-$40 for a few hoses at a time as they come available on BL (and wait for heaven knows how long before I have the set complete.)

I'm interested in any and all opinions on my dilemma here. And please, be gentle...

Comments

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    The villagers are collecting their pitch forks and torches! ;-)
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,660
    If it is for your personal collection, no issues with 1) It is not like cutting a plate, the 10L hoses are already cut from a much longer hose. Once all set and done, there is no difference.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I say buy the longer ones and cut them. This is one of the few examples where it is not really altering a part.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Build it any way you want...it is YOUR BUILD. Period.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    edited August 2013
    All of the above :)

I'm using a printed decal for a window instead of using the printed parts that cost a fortune.

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,720
    It's a hose. I don't really count them as bricks, so I'd just cut them.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,287
    ^ I would tend to agree, cutting a hose is fine in my book.
  • julian977julian977 UKMember Posts: 65
    In the old technic pneumatic sets in the 80's you got a length of grey and a length of black and you cut your own shorter hose lengths for yourself. I say cut it!
    peterlinddkcheshirecat
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,864
    Cut.
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 550
    Cut. Defo.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,691
    Cut! Cut! Cut!

That's one of the parts I've cut in the past, it's not taboo :-)
    flowerpotgirlkhmellymel
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    I'd buy twice as many as you need, cut them in half, and relist them on Bricklink/eBay! Profit!
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    edited August 2013
    @shopadoinkle Congrats on the find.

The 160mm hoses are 36p each in stock from Customer services in the UK

OUTERCABLE 160MM
    Colour Family Grey
    Exact Colour MEDIUM STONE GREY
    Category Tubes
    Element ID 4514198
    Design ID 60677
    Price GBP 0.36

£2 delivery

I need some for my BL #10179 project and will add a few to my order if you can't get any in the US.

Just make sure you cut them at exactly 90 degrees if you want to sleep at night (I know I won't if you don't)

Hopefully you have all 9 umbrella stands. They are OOS and must have flown out at this price

STANDARD Ø3.18 X 53
    Colour Family Grey
    Exact Colour MEDIUM STONE GREY
    Category Signs And Flags
    Element ID 4211887
    Design ID 4095
    Price GBP 265.91
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    @coachie, thanks for the tip! It didn't occur to me to use PAB to get a full length of cable, and I was putting together an order anyhow! Hopefully it is available here in the states.

The set was missing 6 of the 9 umbrella stands, but fortunately I had 5 of the stands in my inventory, and a local friend is checking his to see if they have the last one. Be aware, though, that the current stands are not the same as those that originally came with the 10179, the stops near the end are much thicker on the current type.

Thanks for the advice everyone! This makes me much happier. I don't work much with the hoses so I wasn't 100% certain what is kosher and what is not.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited August 2013
    What's kosher is up to you, because they are your things. Some people can't sleep at night knowing they modified a piece, some can sleep just fine. Just realize that modified parts...
    1. Could disqualify you from any strict MOC competitions
    2. Will lose pretty much all value if you were to ever try and sell them
    3. Can look ugly if not done cleanly (done well, modified parts can be nearly indistinguishable from canon pieces)
  • JasonSpearsJasonSpears Member Posts: 1
    I cut flex tube all the time for my trees.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Just remember the old proverb- measure twice, cut once. ;)
  • AcamarAcamar Member Posts: 1
    First time ever I cut a part was 2 days ago. I am building my first large moc. LOTR The Black Gate. I needed to use a Black panel 1x1x1 Corner. I put in on and every time I walked by or worked on it for a couple of days, it just didn't look right, so I cut it, so now it is a Black panel 1x1x1 without a corner. Looks much better now.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 330
    I was really surprised when the instructions for #21003 (Seattle Space Needle) actually called for the cutting of the provided flex tubes. At least they threw in an extra in case you messed it up.
    asksol
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    Seriously, whenever the title to this thread passes my eye, I am left wondering why you are modifying a duck.
    Joseph
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Mmm...duck.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^...duck...goose...
  • PolynicesPolynices United StatesMember Posts: 25
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,287
    edited August 2013
    ^ How about one of these:

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Not up to LEGO Quality Standards - didn't one sink recently?
    ;-)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,864
    ^ So just like a real brick built Lego boat.
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    My favourite signage of all time, on a low beam in a country pub:-

"Duck....or Grouse". :-)