Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Online Fraud: Drop Shipped LEGO, etc. (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, Bricklink, etc.)

Comments

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    When in doubt just hold off, I dont care what it is or how cheap it comes, not worth the aggravation later down the road...
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    I say it is a scam. I base my judgement on three things: a) what you said, b) in such a short period of time, the price is so low with free shipping, that does not look right, and c) almost all the buyer feedback on this seller state "Great communication. A pleasure to do business with." I highly recommend looking somewhere else for this set.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,601
    If you look at the feedback, it's all as a buyer and most of it left on May 15th between 4am to 5am. Also, one feedback the item was in China but feedback was left in german. Awful fishy.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,380
    Anyone that doesn't have any feedback as a seller and uses a stock photo as their item's picture should be immediately avoided.

I realize a lot of users use stock photos, and that's fine, but to me it only displays laziness. It takes maybe 10 seconds to take a picture and post it with an iphone, and about a minute to take a picture with a camera and upload it.

If they uploaded a stock photo either:
    a) You won't get the item in the condition you were hoping for (dings and creases on the box)
    b) You won't get an item at all, because they don't have it
    c) If they have a lot of feedback most likely they are a large seller, and it makes sense for them to use stock photos. (and obviously you can feel confident buying.. although I still can't vouch you get mint box condition ;o) )

Don't play with a match near gasoline, and avoid the listing. :o)
    Bids up to $47.66. That is a lot of money to be scammed out of (if it is a scam).
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    They last two were in the 150 range
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    Some guy with zero feedback just posted nine 10188 Death Stars for $270 each, with free express postage to boot. That's just over a third of their Aus retail price. There are no images to speak of. Worth risking it? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271229313989

How easy is it to get back your money if you're scammed?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    If a deal is to good to be true, it usually is.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    eBay do all the work for you if you're scammed. might take a little while to get your money back but I've always had my money back.
    @edgarallanpoe1422- I can assure you that the link in question is a scam. Don't waste your time.

Sure, you may get your money back, but that's money locked up for two weeks at the least with possible time wasted on phone calls to PayPal.

Wouldn't you rather spend that time with family/friends? I wish the hours spent on the phone with PayPal the past week had been spent elsewhere.
    legoprodsLegoFanTexas
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    edited June 2013
    I mean... 0 FB user posting on their first day 9 big Death Stars at 1/3 of retail price. Why would you possibly think twice about it being a scam?

You can always pay him a visit if you are a fellow Aussie. :-)
    LegoFanTexas
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    Per the history, seller already sold 5 Winter Toy Shop sets since June 20th. The price ranged from $134 to $162.
    They also sold the same number of QAR and Maersk Trains

Pretty good business if all of it is real
    Well, a couple of people have already taken the bait. I guarantee you all that one day some clueless administrator will be managing the liquidation of a medium-sized toy business, locate a bunch of expensive sets in storage and whack some ridiculously low price on them... and we'll all be sitting here feeling pleased with ourselves that we avoided getting scammed!
    ^And in that case, I doubt he has zero feedback and joined eBay the same day he started selling 10 of the same set for 1/3 the country's retail price ;o)
    Another one just sold, it'll be interesting to see the wash-up. I'll never forgive myself if 9 sell for nine pieces of beaming feedback...
    @edgarallenpoe1422- I'll make a bet with you that the user won't receive nine pieces of beaming feedback, but will rather receive a "no longer a registered user on eBay" feedback from eBay :o)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    The listing has already been removed, so it was caught somewhere along the way.
    These are the three most recent feedbacks on this seller

SCAM! Seller prevents u from paying thru PPal, then sends invoice outside eBay. Buyer: dieem0326 ( 32) Jun-26-13 21:14
    Lego Queen Anne's Revenge 4195 (#251295077005) US $203.01View Item

SCAM ALERT!!!! Seller prevents use of Ebay checkout Buyer: 702comics ( 63) Jun-26-13 11:27
    Lego Creator Winter Toy Shop 10199 (#251295499603)US $163.50 View Item

SCAM! Seller prevents u from paying thru PPal, then sends invoice outside eBay. Buyer: hitchcock957 ( 4669) Jun-26-13 10:12
    Lego Queen Anne's Revenge 4195 (#251295500644) US $172.50 View Item
    They now have no more listings for sale, presumably because Ebay has shut them off. But, hey, they took 3338.56 from a lot of suckers asking to get scammed.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Thankfully I didn't win a earlier bid. Thanks guys
    Actually, if you won and they told you to pay outside of Paypal, you could report them and probably get out of having to pay them.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    That is, if you can get somebody over there to listen...

Ebay keeps removing the complaints against this seller because the winning bidders haven't sent payment. The complaints appear on her feedback, then disappear. And it's Ebay that's removing them! I've seen 3 different winning bidders complain, on her feedback, that the seller has marked their payment as sent, so they're unable to pay, then the seller sends them an invoice outside of Ebay. When the buyers wisely balk at paying this way, without protection, and leave her a complaint, she (the seller) marks the item as unpaid, and asks Ebay to remove the complaint.

Ebay has done exactly that, removing the feedback complaints against her, (seemingly without having read them), and the winning bidder has to sweat over whether to send payment or not, after learning that she's dishonest. And if you don't send payment, you're not allowed to post feedback. So the seller has 100% feedback, but not one single positive feedback AS A SELLER and is allowed to continue to sell 30+ retired Lego sets that she probably doesn't even have.

The seller has opened a case against me for non-payment and I'm just hours away from getting a strike for non-payment. So be it. I'll take a strike rather than have to deal with Ebay. I'll take a strike rather than risk her sending me an empty box with a tracking number on it. I'll take a strike rather than her ordering me the item elsewhere, and paying for it with a stolen credit card, possibly involving me in a crime.

I reported this seller's actions, and forwarded her emails to Ebay. They did nothing about it. Absolutely nothing, and she's still selling. 3 other people reported the same situation on her feedback, and I read those complaints, before Ebay removed them.

People are reporting this dishonest seller to Ebay, but the complaints are falling on deaf ears. And I am furious at the people at Ebay. I have 100% feedback and almost 5000 positives, and they have made a small fortune in fees from me, yet they removed my complaint, and the complaints of other bidders, and allowed this seller to continue her game of trying to get people to send her money outside of Ebay.

Now I'm getting an idea as to why eBay has gotten such a bad reputation; they deserve it! It's their own lack of diligence that makes their marketplace like the wild, wild west. Shame on them for letting this scammer continue and for removing feedback that would only serve to warn others!
    ^You need to call them directly. eBay's e-service reps are completely worthless, but I've never had a problem with their phone reps taking care of me.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    This raised some red flags for me but I am not sure it should. I am selling an item on ebay that could go over $250 and received the following message:

"Interested in the item for my kids. However need to know:
    1. Can the item be sent to my brother in Atlanta, Ga? You do not ship overseas, and even if you do it'll be very expensive."

His location is listed as Malaysia but he has 100% ebay feedback with 106 as a buyer spread out over several years. If he uses a verified paypal account and I am shipping within United States should I be concerned? Thanks,
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    The feedback is a very positive sign, but you should be wary at least (at least I am for anything > $100). The key thing to remember is that you shouldn't ship to ANY address other than the one verified on Paypal. In other words, if his brother's address is not the one that comes with the "OK to ship" notification on Paypal, sending to it will toss out any seller protection you have. If you follow the Paypal rules for sellers (e.g. have tracking, send to verified address, etc.) then you reduce your risk substantially.
    Thanks, I will take your advice and explain that I will only ship to a verified address/"OK to ship" in paypal. It is not worth the potential headache and loss. Is $250 the magic number where I should go for the extra signature confirmation? Thanks again,
  • BigKidBigKid Member Posts: 29

Thanks, I will take your advice and explain that I will only ship to a verified address/"OK to ship" in paypal. It is not worth the potential headache and loss. Is $250 the magic number where I should go for the extra signature confirmation? Thanks again,

Yes, and that $250 also includes shipping. Any payment received over $250 you need to have a signature.

BigKid
    Drat, so the guy from Malaysia did not bid but then a guy from Australia swooped in. I have no interest in shipping internationally. My ebay auction settings say no shipping internationally, is there something else I need to do to avoid international bidders. Thanks,
    ^In 'Buyer Requirements' on the listing page, you can set it so that bidders whose registered address isn't in a country you ship to are blocked from buying or bidding on your items.
    @y2josh thanks I found it! Sort of buried within the listing as a hyperlink but right where you said it would be.

Drat, so the guy from Malaysia did not bid but then a guy from Australia swooped in. I have no interest in shipping internationally. My ebay auction settings say no shipping internationally, is there something else I need to do to avoid international bidders. Thanks,

Why do you have an issue with shipping internationally? You get a shipping quote with insurance, add a little bit on for your time and get it sent. As long as you ship to a verified address then you a more than adequately covered.

I ship over 80 bits and bobs a week on ebay and we get more grief proportionally from those in my country than our international buyers.

Those abroad from countries such as the US and the UK are usually paying over the odds in their respective countries for most goods so are happy to trawl the incorrect ebay sites to find what they need. They are also happy to pay the associated postage.
    On reading the above again I appreciate that it may sound a bit confrontational. I also realise that some people just don't want to ship internationally, just a preference.
    @joel4motion not at all confrontational. It has just been my preference which is why I check No International Shipping which did not stop International Bidding. A large and expensive item did not seem like the best test for me and the Malaysia request was a little unusual, not so much with the Australia winning bid. Since I don't sell very much, eating a $70 charge on return shipping would be heart breaking. Goodbye new family house(lego of course).
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,977
    Just bought a #10233 Horizon Express from a 3rd party for $35 + $32.50 shipping that I found from the autobot on the main page. They said 1-2 days until shipping but the email from Amazon estimates a mid August ship date and a mid September receive date and now I am thinking this must be a scam of some sort. Seller is in Japan. Any input?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^Wow. Um...yeah. That doesn't sound good.
  • BigKidBigKid Member Posts: 29
    Bumblepants,

I would not expect to find #10233 Horizon Express for half off ever. Once in a while you get someone selling off a gift that they don't want cheaply. This is rare however. I would hesitate buying from anyone with a high quantity selling cheap like that. Be careful!

Ask yourself... did you find the best deal out there or did the scammer find you?

BigKid
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Yes, this has been discussed many times. If it is too good to be true, it is usually a scam.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,207
    Or, a simple guideline can help:

Do not buy current sets on eBay.
    Bandit
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,977
    It was Amazon Marketplace but I quickly canceled it after I realized it was coming from Japan. I guess I was still thinking about the $20 Umbaran Tank that just happened and was thinking/hoping it was something similar.
  • Jokerlego47Jokerlego47 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am a new member here and was looking at this and wanted to say thanks for all the tips on buying on CL.
    I thought about buying a Cafe Corner that was listed on CL,but the person wanted paypal and it seemed a little shady.
    Glad to have this forum to make sure what is legit and what to watch out for.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    Well I'm guessing may people are going to want paypal for a set like CC, especially due to how much it goes for and doubt many want to walk around with 400+ dollars.
    The trick is having a phone or other device connected to an ISP aside from the sellers.
    Go to their location and verify the set THEN send money via your paypal and your ISP to the sellers at that moment, most transaction are pretty quick (unless you are using an eCheck, which would not work here). I would never endorse carrying that kind of cash or even sending money before hand for a Craigslist transaction, notably a large one like that.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    If the two parties meet at somewhere like a bank lobby I don't see how that wouldn't be safe all around. The buyer can inspect the item, and then withdraw cash from the teller right on the spot if the sale is a go.

Sellers on CL that only accept Paypal is a huge red flag to me. Of fiery death.

• thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 437
    What a fantastic item for a new seller on eBay to start off with.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    nkx1 said:
    I do not really understand scamers, obviously the better scam would be to list 10 at the RRP, they would still sell real quick, but not raise nearly as much suspicion and I think buyers would be willing to give more time to receive the item before raising a dispute. Just seems like wasted money to me, not that they will probably see any of it anyway.

I'm currently in email correspondence about a UCS Millenium Falcon with a 'Reece Gerald' from 'TOYS4U (UK) LTD'. The whole thing's throwing up more red flags than a North Korean rally but before I abandon it entirely I was wondering whether anyone here had come across them before. (http://global-business-center.com/c11168,TOYS4U_(UK)_LTD.php) They posted the item on Gumtree using an Adelaide address, but then said the item's actually in the UK. Bank deposit is listed as the method of payment, and the address they give is actually a pub. The most obviously suspicious thing though is the price; $1300 AUD for something that usually sells for closer to $3000, and what's more the postage is included in the price no matter where you live. Their site also makes a range of fanciful claims, such as being able to supply 100 sets a week of the Green Grocer at 70 GBP each (min order of 10). http://www.ecvv.com/product/1000076730.html They also included photos of the actual set in the listing, atypical of scams but strange to have photos of the set in domestic settings for what is ostensibly a wholesaler. Oh and to top it all off there's a review on another website that says they're a scam company. So I'm 99.999% certain there's nothing to this but I was just wondering if anyone else here had come across these guys.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,765
    Not these in particular, but there are many like it.

The item is often in another country, it gives them a bit more time. Photos are easy to harvest from the web, so don't believe a photo.

Definitely a scam.
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 92
    That's my home town, I'd be interested in any extra info you have about their supposed location. I'm assuming they just picked a city at random.
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    Saw something similar on the TV recently about used cars, supposedly shipping from Norway. Turned out the scammers had hijacked and cloned a shipping company's website. I'd ask for a phone number you can call them at - If they do agree to speak to they'll likely have a Nigerian accent!

I do wonder how they decide what items are good for scamming though. Surely there can't be many people looking to buy a UCS MF?