Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where to get X-Large baseplates

ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
I'm planning on doing a massive display in the near future, but have found that there are simply no used 48 X 48 gray baseplates for sale on bricklink and checking ebay it seems like the demand is fairly high for these. Is this a correct assessment? Is my only option buying new from Lego? Do they ever go on sale?

I'm very new to this end of the hobby but I'm seeing big bucks pile up when it comes to getting all the baseplates I need. Any tips would be appreciated!

Comments

• EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    I have seen them in Target and I believe a few months ago B&N.com had them for around $11. Not a sure bet though. How about craigslist?
    Good luck with your massive display, post some pics when you are done. :-)
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,663
    Last week they had them on Amazon.com at $13.49 (add-on item).
    Sometimes B&N has some, if you are a member, it is 10% off + coupons.

Beside those I never saw them on sale (well, they are on "sale" now at TRU for LEGO RRP...)
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    I stocked up on them the last time TRU had a BOGO50 sale where you could still get MSRP before the morning increase. That was a while ago though.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,664
    I saw them at LegoLand yesterday.
    flecski
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,804
    ^ Seeing them in the UK is no use to him when he's in America is it?
  • FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Hiding in the kitchen.Member Posts: 156
    i have found them marked down in the mall toy stores before - i think i paid 8 bones each for the remaining four they had. not sure if they were going out of business and it was a one off or what, but it may be worth looking.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I don't know why, but I hadn't thought of other retailers carrying them. Will definitely cast further afield and watch for sales.

The other interesting realization that I came to last night was that while the gray plates are exact double the size of the green ones, they are three times the cost! With the tables I'm working on it will take roughly 10 gray plates to cover each one, with a retail of $150, but it would take 20 green plates to cover, with a retail of only $100! When you multiply that by four tables you're talking a $200 savings, (though still A LOT of money on baseplates!!!

Do the green ones sometimes go on sale? Seems like they're pretty standard at $4.99 whether it be new from BL or new from TLG.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I just want to let you know that the 48x48 baseplate is 2.25 times the size of the 32x32s,

48x48=2304 studs
    32x32=1024 studs
    2304/1024=2.25

You would think that the larger baseplate would be a better deal than the smaller one. It's also unfortunate that you can't buy at retail all the available colours.

Shpadoinkle
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I agree that it is too hard to find the larger plates and that they are too expensive. And special colors...forget that. It would seem that they would be more easily found and less pricey because they enable us to spend a lot more on big Lego MOC's.
    I tend to pull them out of old sets that came with larger plates, but the largest ones are extremely rare and so useful. Good luck!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,003

You would think that the larger baseplate would be a better deal than the smaller one. It's also unfortunate that you can't buy at retail all the available colours.

Not really. I reckon more regular lego buyers prefer the 32x32 ones for their kids and prefer green to grey. So there is an economies of scale for the smaller baseplate.

Also costs of handling for larger items can be significantly more than those of smaller items. Postage, storage, shelf space, etc.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I found that the best place to get them in the UK was Tesco when they had the Clubcard Double Up, so they were a £5 voucher each. I'm not sure if you have anything comparable in the US, but I'd say your best bet would probably be a BOGO sale of some sort?

I think the reason that there is a real lack of them on the secondary market is that they are universally useful - for everyone from a 5 year old kid to a large scale MOCer.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    In the US, I see them at Target from time to time, but sales are few and far between. They also go for about retail when they show up used on ebay and shipping usually pushes them higher.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Thanks for all the tips folks. It seems like maybe the best route to go for ordering quantity be to place an order with [email protected], take the VIP points, and order enough to qualify for free shipping. Still paying sales tax, but at a 20 plate order then I'd at least be getting the $5 worth of VIP points back.

I too have a large collection of plates in all sorts of different colors. Recently I even got a half plate in tan, which was pretty awesome. But what looks like am impressive stack on the shelf suddenly dwindles when you start to lay them out (or when the wife steals them to set up her evil army!)
  • LegoLego Member Posts: 62
    There are some on ebay going for $15
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    If you are a member of a local LUG and you need a lot of baseplates then the LUG might be able to get a bunch through LUGBULK and split them up. I have not done it but would think that might be the cheapest way to go about it if it were an option.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    @emilewski - base plates are on our list of likely requests the next time LUGBULK comes up, although I'm unsure of whether they qualify. I would be interested to hear from any LUGs that have been able to order them in the past.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Yes, they are on our list every year.
    WesleyB
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,003
    Occasionally they come up in the marketplace too. I got rid of a load I hadn't used in ages (or at all) just last week.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    I've ordered a bunch of baseplates over time and I always use them or the PF stuff for trains as my fillers to get over the limits for the freebies during promotion times.