Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Uh, it's for my daughter, really. (Oh, wait, I don't have a daughter)

2»

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Just had a look at the set inventory and Im looking at about 140 peices that I would change, maybe more if I was to extend it, I should just do it!
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    @Basta Buy it. I have. I think the party boat is going to draw in many a non typical Friends buyer. I've no idea if this was done intentionally or not but it appears to be doing the trick.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    ^ I just might, It's a really good looking boat (Colour notwithstanding), I like that it actually seems to have an interiour which alot of the City type boats dont, plus a decent amount of actuall bricks go into making it.

Although I will replace all the Pink\Aqua\Purple colours with white and the Trans-Clear windows with Trans-Black ones. Also I may get an extra Boat Hull Middle to make it a bit longer.

So it can look a little like this

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    The pink is going on mine but I'll probably keep the medium azure. (Do I have that correct @caperberry ?)
    caperberry
  • ChrisbstmChrisbstm USAMember Posts: 151
    I don't know if anyone has noticed, but those hedgehog hideaway sets that come with almost all good parts? The hedgehog fits on a minifigure neck piece like a head! I've been making hedgehog people with my spare minifigure parts
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^pic or it didn't happen
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,557
    ^^ That's the beauty of the stud system.

You can do the same with the trendsetter and her dog. Unfortunately the neck stud is a little too long for the dog to sit flush with the shoulders.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,001
    Ypres said:

Sorry, but unless I have a big sign on my back to tell everyone in the store that I'm a Lego collector who buys a lot of different themes like Star Wars and Castle, a guy my age buying toys marketed to little girls makes me look like a creep and a pervert. I don't exactly have time to explain my Lego hobby to everyone who glances in my direction, and I don't feel like getting tackled by some vigilante mother who thinks I'm trying to lure kids into my vehicle (even though I walked all the way to the store). I've been previously informed by a store employee that my presence was complained about by an anonymous shopper who found something apparently wrong with me standing in the girls toy isle. I might be 20yrs, but come on, I look like a freaking 15 year old bookworm (with round glasses). Other than me being a man I shouldn't look suspicious at all... I walk around in a plaid golfing vest for Christ sake!

I guess the best psychological strategy would be to walk into the Friends Lego section with a normal boys Lego set already in your hands, that way when someone sees you looking at girls toys, they'll make the connection that "oh he just likes Lego" as opposed to "what's he doing staring at that... yuck".

I would say if the employee comes up to you to ask your business to then demand to speak to a manager as that is discrimination. they are assuming a lot here.
    What if you are a father and look young? What if you are buying for your sister? Or lord forbid you are buying for yourself... If you are an honest shopper who wants to buy product I think it is pretty bad taste to do that to someone.
    I would have just said I want to speak to a manager and tell them I was looking to buy about 100 bucks in LEGO but due to your employee I will never buy anything in this store again and I will tell others about this and tell them not to come here either.
    That'll shut em up.
    Furrysaurus
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^Congratulations!
    jon_k
  • FattehFatteh Member Posts: 21
    When a store employee asks me if the Lego I'm buying is for my kids, I usually tell them that I don't let my kids play with my Lego. This is particularly effective when buying junior sets while I have my 3, 3, 5 and 8 year old kids with me.
    @caperberry sorry it wouldn't let me post the pic last time, but here it is! Hedgehog people!
    flowerpotgirlklatu003caperberrychromedigi
    If you cut off the hedgehogs' feet, they would make decent fantasy creatures.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 886
    ^ As it is, with the feet they look a little bit like HEDGEHOG HEADCRABS.

A terrifying thought indeed.
    Furrysaurus
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 886
    (back on topic)

Interesting to hear about @Ypres' experience of being complainted about, clearly some people are just overly paranoid. It's ok to be wary about such things, but reporting an individual who is most likely clearly paying attention to the toys and not to any other people is quite a weird thing to do - all a bit 'Meddlesome Ratbag' for your UK types who are familiar with Viz...

I have no problem picking up Friends stuff and happy to say it's for myself - it used to be that trips to TRU and other stores were just to check out Lego and Transformers, but now with a 1 year old I end up mooching around the Fisher Price etc section too so Friends is just another stop on the way round :)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I have been thinking about this thread, since I would never assume some guy looking at girl Lego was up to something bad. I would assume an individual was buying for his niece, friend's kid, little sister, daughter, etc.

It probably does not apply to this situation, but I could see that if somebody was very uncomfortable on the girl's toy aisle their body language could look very off, and that could throw up a bit of an alarm to a shopper, perhaps enough to say something to an employee.

That is about all zi can come up with, though, since I just can not see An issue shopping for a girl's toy.
    Try shopping for girls underwear (as a father) if your daughter is not with you. I always make sure I take my daughter along.

• LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    CCC said:

Try shopping for girls underwear (as a father) if your daughter is not with you. I always make sure I take my daughter along.

I don't think many will be rushing to try that out.
  • jon_kjon_k UKMember Posts: 232

"daddy can we build legos"?

No darling only 16yrs to wait"
    indigoboxCCCmargotLostInTranslationEKSamkhmellymelLegobutterflyHarryPotterLover
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @jon_k she's the daughter of an AFOL, she'll be putting that together at 6 :)
    jon_kindigobox
    Jenni said:

True!!
    My son has been wanting this set since he was 5, and I have yet seen a set my kids at 5 could not put together.

The bigger question, though, is will she like Star Wars. ;-)
    tamamahm said:

Jenni said:

True!!
    My son has been wanting this set since he was 5, and I have yet seen a set my kids at 5 could not put together.

well ..

I have been buying friends

City police

City fire

train set

toy story

so all based covered

just off to get duplo

• chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    jon_k said:

tamamahm said:

Jenni said:

True!!

well ..

City police

City fire

train set

toy story

so all based covered

just off to get duplo

I probably shouldn't dare to even ask this question but what is your view of Lego having a toyline "specifically for girls"?
    My first had duplo at 1 year old. The next ones had it since probably three months, before they could even roll over. Thanks to their over enthusiastic brother giving stuff.
    @chuxtoybox,

in answer to your question, being an older AFOL (52) ,

I like lego, I always have done,and always will, it brings back lots of happy memories from my childhood, I wish I could find the garage with the up and over door and the little car, along with the petrol station with the shell tanker,just brilliant times just building things, I only wish my parents could have treated me to the 9v train

So getting back to the girl lego, brilliant, I dont view lego with any suspicion, pandering to the girl market using some very vibrant colours, just a progression that lego have thought through.

All lego for me is great, some I prefer better than others but if my daughter gets the same enjoyment as I did, and she plays with chima/ninjago/city I will be chuffed ( as long as she doesn't try to open stash in the loft!!)

EKSam
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Chrisbstm said:

@caperberry sorry it wouldn't let me post the pic last time, but here it is! Hedgehog people!

Flying hedgehog people! Ace. Watch out Chima

chromedigi
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,897

I built the Dolphin Cruiser last week and it was a good time indeed. Wish there was a bigger version in masculine colors like dark brown.

Dark Brown, really? I agree that's a more masculine color, but... frankly, I tend to associate cabin cruisers of this style with colors like white. Maybe the interior or deck could be brown, but I think white is the best color for the hull.

LEGO has actually released a couple cabin cruisers as sets: #4011 (a favorite from my childhood) and #4642 are two good examples. They are a smaller scale than the Dolphin Cruiser of course, in part because LEGO City doesn't have nearly the same emphasis on interior detail as LEGO Friends does.

In any event, both of those sets show that you can just swap out the pastels to get a less "effeminate" look. But personally, I think the pastels on the Dolphin Cruiser seem pretty realistic, even compared to a lot of LEGO Friends sets. I associate Medium Azur with summertime and the seaside, and it'd be right at home on the sign for a marina or seafood restaurant. Searching "Cabin Cruiser" on Google Images brings up a number of examples that feature a similar cyan/azure color, and a vast majority of the examples feature a white hull.
    chromedigi

jon_k said:

tamamahm said:

Jenni said:

True!!

well ..

City police

City fire

train set

toy story

so all based covered

just off to get duplo

I probably shouldn't dare to even ask this question but what is your view of Lego having a toyline "specifically for girls"?

There are some threads if you search all aboutFriends Lego.
    I think the idea is fine, simply because it acts as a good outreach to pull In a market they normally do not reach. Just look at the companies that immediately copy-catted.

My only issue comes in when/if Lego presumes that a girl line means everything else is a boy line, and make girl Lego only about Friends. My girls like Friends, but they are in the mode of, what is there for us? They really miss HP Lego, or Lego from any of the other fantasy they read. I.e. Just as Lego has lines that appeal to older boys, my girls are nearing the point of outgrowing the cutsey Friends sets, but lack another theme that interests them to move to. I keep seeing all the posts about 2014 sets, and I am waiting for anything at all that is unique and fun for them. (i.e. what is replacing Monster Fghters!)

chromedigi
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Basta said:

^ :) It is LEGO, you can change it! :)

That's what I keep telling myself, but do you think I have actually ever completed an alternate\modified version of any set or a MOC for that matter (apart from just ‘doodling’ with bricks I already have)

Ok, I forgot about this one.

Lego 4956 House x 4

But even this wasn't finished and had some design issues!

My only question is why did you stop adding floors? :)
    tamamahm said:

My only issue comes in when/if Lego presumes that a girl line means everything else is a boy line, and make girl Lego only about Friends. My girls like Friends, but they are in the mode of, what is there for us? They really miss HP Lego, or Lego from any of the other fantasy they read. I.e. Just as Lego has lines that appeal to older boys, my girls are nearing the point of outgrowing the cutsey Friends sets, but lack another theme that interests them to move to. I keep seeing all the posts about 2014 sets, and I am waiting for anything at all that is unique and fun for them. (i.e. what is replacing Monster Fghters!)

Well I notice that Lego doesn't have pictures of children on the boxes anymore, so I assume it is so their main themes cannot be called "strictly for boys".

The Lego aisle in the two Walmarts near me is the same aisle as the games and puzzles so it can't be said that Lego is in the "boys section" of the toy department, a comment I read made by a protester of the Friends line. What I thought was ironic was that this protester said that Lego were found in the "boys aisle" of the stores, but who's to say that Hot Wheels and action figures, etc. etc. are "boys toys"? Do any of these toys say "for boys" on them?

My three stepdaughters all played with Lego when they were young and they had Castle, Pirates, HP, and others. (The youngest one is 21 now.)
    edited August 2013
    tamamahm said:

My only issue comes in when/if Lego presumes that a girl line means everything else is a boy line, and make girl Lego only about Friends. My girls like Friends, but they are in the mode of, what is there for us?

I'd like LEGO to take a really big step. Introduce a Friends set which contains only boys. Maybe three different boy minidolls. And maybe a little less of the pink, but keep the design similar with slightly more boyish colours, maybe pastel blues and purples rather than pinks. I'd love to see how such a set would sell. And just as important, who to.
    ^ Wouldn't they just be seen as Lego "Ken dolls"? :}

tamamahm said:

Well I notice that Lego doesn't have pictures of children on the boxes anymore, so I assume it is so their main themes cannot be called "strictly for boys".

The Lego aisle in the two Walmarts near me is the same aisle as the games and puzzles so it can't be said that Lego is in the "boys section" of the toy department, a comment I read made by a protester of the Friends line. What I thought was ironic was that this protester said that Lego were found in the "boys aisle" of the stores, but who's to say that Hot Wheels and action figures, etc. etc. are "boys toys"? Do any of these toys say "for boys" on them?

My three stepdaughters all played with Lego when they were young and they had Castle, Pirates, HP, and others. (The youngest one is 21 now.)
    A similar repeat of other threads on this topic, so I'll see how brief I can be.

Interesting about your Walmarts. By me the main Lego sets are always put by what would traditionally be called 'boy toys'. I have yet to enter a Walmart/Target by me that is not set up that way. I have been to a wide range of those stores in the past few years. It is that way in every single one. I actually would LOVE to see more stores promote Lego by putting it in a gender neutral aisle, but the reality is most stores do not. This is part of the reason Friends is in the girl section... because (a) Lego often does get the connotation of a 'boy' toy because of the subject matter and (b) it is so often put in the boy section. By having Friends in the girl section, more girls/moms see it.

You will notice I specifically included the word if. As stated. My concern is part that if Friends is a huge success with girls, that they take cross-appeal from their standard sets and add more boy appeal.

Remember, just because something isn't explicitly marketed towards a boy with a boy on the box, doesn't mean it may not appeal more to the 'generic' boy out there. Lego has done plenty to understand what does appeal to both genders, and I think we miss the mark if we think Lego isn't specifically marketing many of the Lego sets to boys as their main customer. They often have had a few lines that had more cross-appeal, though.
    Lego is very good about understanding what different groups like. Friends, wasn't simply about color. It was about story-telling, and accessories, and being able to build a part and play and come back, which is why there is modularity in the line. It is also about the character, because girls often treat them more as avatars. They added all those elements in.
    It is just that Lego often does have a standard line or two that does have those elements to them... HP is a great example of that..
    It had story-telling, accessories, characters that appealed to both genders. The modularity wasn't quite there, but one can see a bit of that in DIagon Alley, where parts can be made and then played with.
    Monster FIghters has much of that. LOTR/Hobbit, due to the content, does miss the aspect of having solid female characters, and then they utterly failed to have a single female in the first release.

What my concern would be is if Lego goes down the track of not having those sorts of themes in the main line with those components I mentioned. Things are a bit weak right now in that arena for our family. THere is no HP. Monster Fighters is on it's way out. Hobbit/LOTR does have some of those elements I mentioned, but is really missing the female characters due to the content of the books to cause a strong appeal for my girls.

Of course, things are also a bit weak for my son as well too, who truly wants a great adventure line with tons of secret/hidden features, and there are no themes right now with that, just individual sets (like TLR mine, etc. )

My point is I do not want Lego moving to the mentality of "This is for girls. All the rest are for boys."

chromedigi
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    At Fred Meyer, Lego is in two places. Friends with the "girl toys" and the rest of the themes on the "boy toys" aisle. However, the new M**B** Barbie sets (aka Friends) are on the end of the shelf containing the Lego for boys. I've seen this arrangement in three different stores.