Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The LEGO Wall: New site for tracking Pick A Brick (PAB)

Comments

• leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I'm not sure I'd use it (I'd still prefer completely different views sorted by parts, or colour) but I think there might be a bug on the "filter by duplicates" option. This currently only displays parts which are duplicated. Unless I'm missing a use for this, I'd have thought the only way it could be useful is if duplicates are filtered out.

Also the Stratford store is still not in the right place. If you look to the right of the current location, you can see a big grey shape. That is the biggest shopping centre in the UK. Zoom in on the centre of that a couple of times and the Lego store is already identified on google maps.

• dwalton76dwalton76 Member Posts: 97
    @leemcg I was thinking the duplicate filter would be used to point out to store managers that they have duplicate bricks on their wall.

Check the Stratford location now...I think I finally got it this time :)
    ok @calv @Paperballpark and @leemcg I added support for multiple parts per bin. Once you've added the first part to a bin, when you click on that bin again you'll see a section with:

# Parts In Bin
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Just click on however many parts there are and then you can fill out all of the slots within that bin.

We chatted a few weeks ago about me adding support for lego part numbers. I've started on it but it is still a work in progress. Apparently bricklink came up with their own names for the colors (as did peeron) which makes it a lot of fun to map the lego parts to their bricklink equivalent.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,390
    I'm updating Sheffield's wall, but I can't find 'Reddish Brown Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Pin Hole and 4 Arms Up'. It's just not there! Yet I put it on Manchester's wall a few months back. Odd.
    Also, I've just filtered by duplicate parts and there's 11 non-duplicates in there too!

Btw, I'll echo someone else on here who said that it should blank out duplicates, rather than highlight them!
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476

I'm updating Sheffield's wall, but I can't find 'Reddish Brown Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Pin Hole and 4 Arms Up'. It's just not there! Yet I put it on Manchester's wall a few months back. Odd.

Same happened to me with the Cardiff store. I just left the part in its incorrect bin, rather than delete it.

I now take a down up down video on my phone (3 minutes in store) and update at home (10 minutes max)

The sheffield location is wrong too. There's a big shopping centre to the left of the current position, and it's about in the middle of that.

It's there now.

Backstory: If a part is only listed in only 1 set then I don't list it in the parts search results...this is to cut down on the number of random results that are returned. The part that you mention IS in more than one set...I just need to upload my latest data on what bricks are in what sets.

Also, I've just filtered by duplicate parts and there's 11 non-duplicates in there too!

Btw, I'll echo someone else on here who said that it should blank out duplicates, rather than highlight them!

I'll add a "unique parts" filter in addition to the "duplicates" filter.
    coachie said:

I now take a down up down video on my phone (3 minutes in store) and update at home (10 minutes max)

You know I did this too for my local store because the cell signal in the store was so bad. I suppose the best solution would be to write an iphone/android app that contained all of the parts images in the install...that way you didn't have to wait on the images to download. Short of that though (I don't own a mac so coding an iphone app doesn't seem likely) I'm not sure how else to make the process easier. Thoughts?

The sheffield location is wrong too. There's a big shopping centre to the left of the current position, and it's about in the middle of that.

Take a look now and let me know if it is correct.

@leemcg and Paperballpark Regarding duplicate vs unique parts I'm thinking about doing:

"Show duplicate parts" - this would be the current functionality so lego store managers could see which bins are duplicates

"Show unique parts" - New...should this only show the bins on the wall that do not have a duplicate or should this show at just one copy of every type of part on the wall? I'm thinking the latter...thoughts?
    meant to tag @Paperballpark in that last post...
    Unique parts - show one copy of each part.

I'm sorry to say that 'duplicate parts' is pointless for use by store managers - they work in the store everyday, so if they're that bothered they can check the physical wall! After all, they know that is up to date (and correct!). I really don't see the point of going online to check something (which may not be correct) when it's there in front of you. Sorry!

I'll check the store location when I'm not on my phone.
    Yes the store location is now correct.
    oh well, I thought the duplicates part thing was kind of cool :)

So what would be useful here...displaying just one bin of each part I'm assuming?
    Yes that would be fine.
    I agree, but I still think it would be better to display in other ways, listed by part type and/or colour - and you'd automatically only include one from duplicates then. The grid view only makes sense if you're comparing what is in the store (for updating), rather than looking what's there.
  • KazJYKazJY Member Posts: 67
    This looks great. I used the website a few times now - I shop at two different stores, and was able to refresh my memory on which one had what. I like to plan ahead.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    I didn't take the time to update the site (sorry), but for those that have access to the Tyson's Corner Lego Store: I was there yesterday and they had 1x2 bricks (dark red, pink), 1x1 bricks (dark green!), 1x2 tiles (purple), and 1x4 bricks (dark pink). Those were the ones of note, for me at least.
    FYI, I'm in the middle of converting everything over to use LEGO ID #s so the site will be down for a while this afternoon.
    Boo! Was just half way through editing Stratford! Not to worry I have a video I was working from.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^when you are videoing, what are you capturing? just the piece in bins? I'll be visiting a couple stores this month, and wanting to update, as i've never had the chance
    Sorry, I thought it would only take 5 minutes but then realized there were a bunch of image files that hadn't copied over correctly.
    ^^ yes, I capture a short video of the view from bin to bin on my phone. The video typically lasts 3-4 mins and then I can update the site at my leisure.

^ not to worry - I'm sure it'll be great when it's done.
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96
    I do the same with my store. I just take a video on my phone and make sure it focuses on the part in the bin. Sometimes light can reflect off the shiny pieces and make it hard to tell exactly how long the part is or just make it unclear.
    The site is back up now. There are still a few set images copying over but they should be finished in an hour or so.

I've moved 100% from bricklink IDs, colors, names, images, etc to the official LEGO IDs, colors, etc. This ended up being more work than I initially thought it would be but I think it will be worth it. This makes it possible for other sites to easily link to parts on wallofbricks. Could you guys put me in touch with the person who owns brickset? I'd love to have them link in.

I made a small change to the parts search interface. If you enter a keyword we now fadeout the "parts type" and "dimensions" search criteria. The reason being almost everytime the keyword field was used the user also set the dimensions to 0x0 and either set the part type to other or just cycled through all the part types.

So now if you are searching for a red flower you just click on the color red and type "flower" in the keyword box and there you go.
    Excellent. It already looks so much better with all those consistent images.

@huw is in charge of Brickset and I'd certainly endorse more links between Brickset and wallofbricks.
    Minor aesthetic suggestion: as the Lego images all go exactly to the edge of their bounding box, it may look a bit better to have a small (1-2 pixel) white border before your grey one (either as extra, or by making the grey border thinner, or images smaller).
  • joshuagayjoshuagay Member Posts: 5
    EKSam said:

@dwalton76
    Awesome interface:-). If someone does not beat me to it, I will try and update Bellevue, WA store when I go there next. Thanks to the person who updated Lynnwood store. :-)

I was amazed after I put the first round in (I'm in Olympia), that people have kept it up to date for the most part since.
    joshuagay said:

EKSam said:

@dwalton76
    Awesome interface:-). If someone does not beat me to it, I will try and update Bellevue, WA store when I go there next. Thanks to the person who updated Lynnwood store. :-)

I was amazed after I put the first round in (I'm in Olympia), that people have kept it up to date for the most part since.
    That is great news :)
    @dwalton76 just to let you know, the new graphics don't scale down in size when there's more than one element in a pod, so pages for walls like Milton Keynes (UK) look pretty terrible.
    @paperballpark thanks for the heads up. I should have some cycles this weekend to go through and fix some things from the latest round of changes.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Is the inventory for the Woodbridge Store in VA accurate?

I find it hard to believe that round 1x1 tiles are there? image
    Purple and Pink 1x2 tiles? image
    Olive Green cheese? image
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    The 1x1 tiles and olive green cheeses have been seen in many PAB walls in Europe. I think the 2x1 tiles in those colours too.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yes all three are now common in the UK PABs
    Very common. Everyone has hundreds - or even thousands - of them.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,269

Is the inventory for the Woodbridge Store in VA accurate?

I find it hard to believe that round 1x1 tiles are there? image
    Purple and Pink 1x2 tiles? image
    Olive Green cheese? image

These are also at the Shaumburg IL store as well as many other 'new' parts that UK has had for some time now.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    anyone know if these have shown up in the US at all? I want all three of those like a champ.
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    edited September 2013
    I've seen (and obtained a batch of) the purple tiles. The others - not yet. But now I'm motivated to go looking.

(I did get a substantial batch of the ephemeral olive 2x4 bricks this summer, which was also a nice PAB find.)
    jasor said:

anyone know if these have shown up in the US at all? I want all three of those like a champ.

@jasor If you click on the brick it will take you to a page with lots of information on that brick. There is a table that shows all of the stores where the brick is currently available and another table where it shows the stores the brick has been in, in the past.

edited September 2013
    Again those three parts are/were at the Shaumburg LEGO store in Illinois, so they are in the US.
    Attached is a bit of what is at the LEGO store in Shaumburg about 2 weeks ago (they have more obviously, but there were the only bits I was interested in):

they also have 2 x 2 round trans light blue brick as well (forgot to add to the photo)
    Keep in mind, as this was about 1-2 weeks ago.. so stuff may be out of stock right now.
    They should be available for every LEGO PAB selection by the PAB delegate at the store I believe.
    I believe they are all new to the stores in the US so some stores may have them sooner than others.
    I think it is a matter of getting them to order them if they have not already.
    I am thinking about going again tomorrow but not sure.

The US stores are also reportedly getting the 1x2 brick with masonry pattern as well, but they keep selling out the minute they get it in due to demand.
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344

Attached is a bit of what is at the LEGO store in Shaumburg about 2 weeks ago

Nice!

Too bad for me the LBR stores in my area are almost all uninventoried, and otherwise terribly out of date. I pretty much just have to go look.

I know, I know... I should be a good citizen and update them myself. But then, logically speaking, it would be better if the PAB buyers at the stores did this when they stocked the bins. (A fella can dream, can't he?)
    edited September 2013
    Well, I was going to ask the PAB buyer by me if he is aware of the site, but here is the other issue.
    That site needs to not only be updated when stuff comes in, but when stuff goes out. Plus they can have stuff available but not on the wall, and stuff could sell out any day they are open so how often is the site to be updated, etc etc. and I doubt the PAB buyers have the time or, necessarily, the resources to do that.
    And again while people can update the site, an I think it is a great site, well made, and a great idea, each store will likely require constant updating to ensure the inventory is correct so someone does not go to a store and discover something is missing even though the site shows it is there.
    Also you are counting on someone to go out of there way and either take notes, or pictures of each item and possibly what is in a LEGO PAB box if not on the wall (or remember to ask) in order to get an update, which I think is asking a lot..
    With smartphones and cameras it is not a big task I think, but it also needs to be someone that can go in from day to day or week to week.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    It isn't that hard to take an inventory and update a normal-sized store. In fact, tomorrow while my kids are attending the LEGO Club Meeting, I'll re-inventory and update the site. While some items on the wall change daily or weekly, there are just as many that may stay the same either semi-permanently or at least for months at a time (most of the 2x bricks, some of the plates and tiles).

While I wouldn't make a trip based solely on what's on the site, updating the site even occasionally will do a couple of things. First it will give people an idea of new parts that are appearing (see discussion above), and two if you see something interesting you can call and ask if they still have it in stock.

So don't make excuses, just do it! You'll feel a sense of accomplishment and might just help someone else out.
    cheshirecat
    edited September 2013
    ^-Cool, so then you would be willing to pay for the gas it takes me to get back and forth, and also cover wear and tear on my vehicle? I'm about 16 miles away from my closest LEGO store, while there may be people closer that could do this on a regular basis and I certainly to not mind trying to add stuff I see when i do make it up there, I am not there frequently enough to do it.
    Sorry to be snarky, I did not mean to be that way. But it can be difficult for most to get up there on a weekly or even every other week basis.
    Why don't people just do it when they happen to be there? I've found that even after a gap of a few weeks, the most that will have changed will be 12 to 15 bins, which quite frankly takes a maximum of 10mins to update.

If most AFoLs take a little time to update it, it won't even need that amount of updating each time, and will take even less time to do.

It should be a case of most people updating it when they happen to have been there, rather than a designated person updating it all the time and getting sick of it.

A little bit of effort from everyone has benefits for everyone. :)
    madforLEGO
    leemcg said:

Minor aesthetic suggestion: as the Lego images all go exactly to the edge of their bounding box, it may look a bit better to have a small (1-2 pixel) white border before your grey one (either as extra, or by making the grey border thinner, or images smaller).

I see what you mean...good call.
    It seems like this site is based on open spots on a PaB wall.
    What if the parts available are not 'in the wall'?

I go to the Shaumburg LEGO store and they have boxes of newly received parts in the corner, they have not had the room to put them on the wall, but know people want them so they are out on the floor in the corner.
    So am I missing something? Is there a way to just add to the 'wall' online without the parts being on the wall?
    ^ not at the moment. I just don't add them to the wall. In the Manchester store you have to actually ask them if there's anything extra out the back, but most AFOLs know to do that anyway.