Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A topic I hesitate to broach...

georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I am not even sure where to put this topic but it has been burning a hole in my head for the past few years. We all love our minifigures. We all have strong opinions about the change to "flesh" color for licensed themes. We love the collectible minifigures. For many years, TLG has been advertising using CGI and "fully articulated" minifigures. What would everyone's thoughts be if TLG redesigned the minifigure to have arms that rotated on multiple planes, elbows that bend perhaps, legs that can turn outward rather than just swing forward and back? You know you have thought of it.

Of course, the value of your current minifig collection would rise. Slowly at first, but very sharply in a couple years. Just like anything in grey or dark grey, brown, etc.

I have mixed feelings on it. I know they could do it without making it look like a cheap imitation. It could also be a "juniorized" disaster. Anyone have any insight as to what TLG feels about this? I would love to read some opinions on this. I am sure there will be both sides: "NO, for the love of LEGO, NOOOOOO!!!!!" and "YES! Please, we have been teased by TLG for too long with their articulated minifig movies and adverts. YES!"

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    I am opposed to the idea. I don't think there are currently any significant limitations to playability. I think the primary thing that articulation would improve is the ability to be posed for photography, but I dare say that the mini-figure as we know it would lose its charm.

For the record, I also prefer the classic mini-figure grin over the abundance of modern face designs, so consider me old-school :P
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    No. It would cost way more with current minfigs being one of the most expensive elements and I fear it would also cause the minifig to lose its charm.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    I like the present minifig. Its simplicity is its charm.

Adding joints in the same sized minifig will give extra lines that would not only be somewhat hideous but would also make weaker limbs. It is doable but it can be disastrous. Increasing the size of the fig to increase the area around the joints will mean extra bricks on vehicles just to fit the bigger fig.

Ball joints may also pose problems. I also buy Transformers (sorry for the hijack) and the way the joints snap off sometimes just makes me exasperated. So the idea of a jointed minifig makes me wince.
  • cennsorcennsor Member Posts: 7
    i agree with all of the replies above. enough said!
  • legoclonelegoclone Member Posts: 9
    It's a great question. On one level I think the standardized simplicity of the minifig is its greatest benefit, but there are times when I'd love to be able to pose minifigs better in a cockpit or with some peice of equipment. The question kind of reminds me of the GI Joe action figures when they introduced "swival arm battle grip" in the early 80's. While it was great for the new figures but it also pretty much made all your old ones obselete at the same time. Given that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, more minifigs out there as compared to GI Joes at the time of their switch, I'd say that it would just be too big of a change. I think that window for change closed for Lego a long time ago -- we are all just too invested in the minifig as is.
  • TownTown Member Posts: 68
    It's already happening - look at rubber hairpieces and kids legs.
  • knuclear200xknuclear200x Member Posts: 45
    My two cents, I acknowledge poseability for everything. It's one reason why I buy any toy at all. For lego figs, I think they really need them at one point. We get figures of surfers, baseball players, archers and skateboarders and it bothers me that they can only hold the bat with one hand or they can't stick out their arms forward when they surf. And for every archer, I just give them a crossbow instead of a bow and arrow. It would be a big change, but maybe not something they'd force upon us like the Jack Stone theme. In fact, I miss those Technic figs.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Yeah, why did they get rid of the Technic figs? It bothers me they don't produce the chairs for them anymore either.
  • LegoCollectorLegoCollector Guest Posts: 9
    You can't beat a classic!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I miss the technic figs; shame they retired them
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-moose/4011330929/
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    I agree it would be difficult to do. I think they could do it well, if they put effort into it. I get the feeling they really want to. Look at the Ninjago skeletons. Why change those up? If you look at the arms of the figs that come in the actual sets as opposed to the spinners, they can be posed straight, turned out, or turned in. Why would they change them? The spinners can only pose their arms one way. I don't know that it would take much for LEGO to change the minifigs. They only have the same mold for 97% of their figs, the only difference being color and printing. The things they would not have to change their hand molds, or printing process, which is I am sure where most of the expense comes in.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I've always thought those adverts with legs in impossible positions are false advertising.

If they could do it and make it work whilst being backwards compatible, keeping costs down and not losing the proportions, then fine, but I would have thought they have other areas where they'll get a better return on investment.