Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Game over for LEGO Games

2»

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Nice, will get that for the parts and Chima microfigs.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    DadsAFOL said:

I was discussing this topic with people from our LUG yesterday and my take on it is kudos to TLG for trying the Games line. In western business culture, there is such a fear of failure that established companies rarely innovate. They gave the idea a legitimate shot at succeeding, and waited several years to decide to end it. The best corporate cultures celebrate failures equally with successes, and encourage employees to keep trying.

Regarding the die, there are posts online about cutting the rubber off and using the solid part for SNOT in multiple directions. I can't see TLG continuing to produce that part, so that will be a loss for builders. I can see the microfigure being continued as a greebling element, and continuing to make random appearances.

The biggest question we discussed was whether any of the games were close enough to release to have been fully prototyped. We know that TLG does early limited set runs to distribute for PR (photographing for ads, writing copy, etc.). So if there is an actual copy of the Batman game floating around, now that would become the holy grail for collectors!

I saw the batman game in the hamburg lego store yesterday.
    indigoboxRomanticWarrior
  • fitzyfitzfitzyfitz ManchesterMember Posts: 94
    Confirmation of the end of LEGO games via boardgamegeek. Apparently it was first reported on a site named spielwarenmesse but I can't see the article there.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/20047/new-game-round-up-trollfens-for-descent-space-maps
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    IMO this goes back to LEGO's dark days, where they expanded so much and started to break apart ( no pun intended ). Once they regrouped and concentrated on the LEGO brand again, oh and signed a licensing agreement with Star Wars, they rebounded.

Now, this certainly is a much different level but my point is, go back to focusing on what matters! They truly try too hard to make a fun game that involves the bricks, but I have never heard too many good or positive things from it. I personally have purchased a couple in the past to only take all the parts out for use and throw everything else out.

If the games do go away, I am sure they will be replaced with something else, OR, this period of time will be remembered as when LEGO had board games and experimented with that.
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    Wait....people still play board games?
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I think it's a shame they are ending the line on the LEGO games series. I see from a commercial point of view but not as a LEGO games player or enthusiast.

I don't know about the interaction of others with these games, however my 4 year old son loves then and I interact and develop our relationship by playing these simple and quick games.

Yes he gets bored after the third game however we swap game after 1 or 2 games so that he has variation.

I also find it also takes him away from him wanting to play on his iPad and makes him interact with me more due to us having to take turns in which ever game we play.

We use the games also as a learning tool for him to count the spaces along, or count the bricks, along with developing his skills building the little sets.

His favourite from the sets do far is Kokoriko and yelling cock-a-doodle-do when gets the rooster. More often then not he wins ;)

andheFurrysaurus
    Kokoriko rocks :0) and I'm 42
    andheindigobox
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,490
    ^But what do you do when you roll a blue and already have the Cockerel!?!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,823
    ^ Run around the room pretending to be a cockerel. That's one of our modifications to the rules.
    indigobox
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    My two boys and I love playing lots of the LEGO games, its a shame. They're nice and quick, fun, simple and flexible. I can see that they may only garner interest from a fairly narrow age range, but inside that sweet spot they're utterly brilliant.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,001
    I guess I will have to act quick to get the Batman game. I really like the idea of building a tiny Gotham City. Will fit my budget and building area much better than minifig scale
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Is Batman in the States yet?
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    Kokoriko was a bargain. I picked it up for £2.69 a while back in Liverpool. It is quick and like most of you we add our own twists of the rules.

The downside about having 4 of the games now is that I want the whole collection :)
    They're easy to pick up on eBay. Problem is postage always hike them up a fair bit for such a small item.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I find that a lot of time @caperberry. The game is only $5 but shipping is $5-7 lol. No thanks
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    Good, now maybe those Monster 4's I've been sitting on will go up in value.

Really, I got them so I could put jack-o-lanterns outside most of the houses in my town and dress up a few minifigs with scary masks.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I don't own it, but was hoping Heroica would be popular and have more expansions. I thought Creationary was doing well sales wise... Maybe they will keep that one...
    mrseatle said:

I don't own it, but was hoping Heroica would be popular and have more expansions. I thought Creationary was doing well sales wise... Maybe they will keep that one...

I haven't seen the last heroica expansion in any shops (UK) and there was some quote from TLG telling Heroica fans 'this is your year!', which was obviously garbage. Be interesting to know what they had planned for the range, and if they could just put instructions online to continue/finish the story for fans.

Just noticed the Batman game listed on Target.com in the US. http://www.target.com/p/lego-games-batman/-/A-14539627#prodSlot=medium_5_58
    Not for sale yet but a positive sign it will see distribution.
    sidersddlegodudeBuriedinBricks
    so the new games didn't show up on US [email protected] with everything else. I guess we won't be getting them? and if so, who in the UK wants to hook me up with a Batman game? please?
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697
    Its not Game Over yet!
    icey117

so the new games didn't show up on US [email protected] with everything else. I guess we won't be getting them? and if so, who in the UK wants to hook me up with a Batman game? please?

It might be an exclusive for TRU or Argos to start with?
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49

Just noticed the Batman game listed on Target.com in the US. http://www.target.com/p/lego-games-batman/-/A-14539627#prodSlot=medium_5_58
    Not for sale yet but a positive sign it will see distribution.

Click on the link and it said technical error..
    ^yeah the link worked back when I first posted it but I checked again today and the page has been taken down.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    European independent retailers recently got informed that Lego Games will not be available in the future "temporarily". Also the most recent games (Story Mixer, Batman, etc.) won't be available to them at least in Hungary.

It seems these sets will see a limited release only.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    So #50011Helm's Deep won't be making it to the US?
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    What's interesting to note is that, while here in the UK we can order the new Games (not story mixer... yet) via the UK [email protected], I am yet to see these for sale in the high street. Not even, rather bizarrely, the Lego Store (didn't see any when I last went a few days ago). I reckon they're only a limited quantity release, maybe even exclusive who knows? - a swansong, if you like?

Nonetheless, I have a copy of #50006, and there's some lovely parts in it (I particularly like 6018931 - I think clear is beautiful :-) ). Such a shame my box arrived with a crush to one of it's corners :-( . Didn't the Games sets used to come in shrink wrap plastic? Because #50006 came with two sticker seals instead. To my knowledge, this is the only game that has been released everywhere?

And here in the UK at least, the games have cropped up on eBay for some pretty hefty markup, complete with the tag "RARE". Do you fancy paying £35 for #50006, £43 for #50003, or even £60 for #50011 at all? While they're still available in very limited online retail for RRP? Who knows, these sets could be worth that some day if they EOL quickly :-)

But such a shame this line could be ending - they're great parts packs, and because of them we have seen baseplates in new colours and a bulk of useful parts. Or, in the case of #3849, completely new parts made with new moulds (I found this rather impressive when I first got this set 3 years ago, my goodness that feels like a long time ago ;-) ).

Just my thoughts :-)
  • InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 119
    I'm holding out hope for #50011 (Helm's Deep) in the US, would love to play it with my kids!
    dannyrwwklatu003
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Me too....Helms deep looked fun...and all those Lord of the Rings Micro figures.....my daughter loves playing Heroica too and I'm sure would love switching out some of the piece from Helms Deep to play Heroica with would be fun
    klatu003

Didn't the Games sets used to come in shrink wrap plastic? Because #50006 came with two sticker seals instead.

I've only ever bought them instore in supermarkets, and they have always been shrink wrapped. I don't know if ones bought direct are any different.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    edited August 2013
    ^ I've bought them instore and online (from [email protected] and other retailers), and they have always been shrink wrapped.

...Or, in the case of #3849, completely new parts made with new moulds (I found this rather impressive when I first got this set 3 years ago, my goodness that feels like a long time ago ;-) ).

Which parts are you referencing there?
    edited August 2013
    The perfume bottles were unique to that game, weren't they. And also the scores tiles, although that was just the print.
    I have only seen two instances of not shrink wrapped Lego Games:
    - The 2010 employee gift Christmas Game
    - A new batch of City Alarm at my local Tesco (the former batch was still shrink wrapped).

It seems to be a new development for the games.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    ^^ The colours were, but the mould had been used previously in Pearl Gold for #5378
    ^ Oh yes, you're right. I'm not an HP fan so I had never seen it in gold.
    Looking at which countries the new games are available in and with the info that it won't be available here my conclusion is the following:
    - They won't make an Eastern European language version
    - So far only the Western European language version (English / German / French / etc.) is released and it might very well be that this will be the only version ever to see the light of day

And here in the UK at least, the games have cropped up on eBay for some pretty hefty markup, complete with the tag "RARE". Do you fancy paying £35 for #50006, £43 for #50003, or even £60 for #50011 at all? While they're still available in very limited online retail for RRP? Who knows, these sets could be worth that some day if they EOL quickly :-)...

My impression having watched Games on eBay UK for a few months is that you can get them cheap enough relatively quickly, but it is the postage that kills these auctions often for me. Them boxes are heavy. If buying a Game without a baseplate in it, I've often asked sellers to ditch the packaging and reduce their postage costs, but that was only really worth the hassle for the teeny tiny games like Sunblock or Banana Balance (not that I could ever bring myself to buy that one!)

Kokoriko rarely appears on eBay so was either unpopular at point of sale (cute name, but was a nonsensical name a good idea?) or the gameplay was genuinely enjoyed so few wish to let go of it. It is a really cute simple and fun game.

I think they released too many, something like 8 to 10 a year? I feel if it was just one or two, and they were feted and renowned for their inventive gameplay like Ramses Pyramid, they'd be anticipated as annual/biannual releases for presents.

Good on LEGO for trying something new, and it seems they're learning from their mistakes... sadly by slapping Licenses onto their planned games (see Phoneas & Herb thread) and even more sadly, if the rumours are true, by winding Games down. (I'm still confused by that - I thought I saw an official press release saying they're stopping, but also keep seeing comments that no TLG have not officially confirmed?)
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    ^@caperberry, Kokoriko is the French version of 'Cock-a-doodle-doo.'
    indigobox
    I did wonder actually - using the word 'nonsensical' was therefore incorrect and somewhat rude of me! Perhaps I shall rephrase to 'a language other than that of the primary markets' :oD
    andhe
    edited August 2013
    It also appears to be a restaurant in Miami. And almost a Jean-Paul Gaultier fragrance.

I have a few of the games and it's the one I'm most likely to keep playing with younger family members.

If they'd released fewer each year, and taken the time to make the rules simple enough for children to grasp (ie NOT like the the ninjago one) rather than vague rules 'which you can change' (read: 'change so they actually work') then they probably would have done better.
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    No worries, caperberry. I had no idea, either. It seemed vaguely familiar.

Kokoriko rarely appears on eBay so was either unpopular at point of sale (cute name, but was a nonsensical name a good idea?) or the gameplay was genuinely enjoyed so few wish to let go of it. It is a really cute simple and fun game.

I think it was just simply produced in a lot smaller quantities. I've barely seen it anywhere here. The big retail chains didn't carry it, only some toy stores and online shops. Same with Ilrion. The earlier Heroica games were available in basically all the big chains and they all had to clearance them out at a big discount. After which it's only logical that they didn't bother to order Ilrion.
  • not12fallnot12fall Member Posts: 65
    CCC said:

Didn't the Games sets used to come in shrink wrap plastic? Because #50006 came with two sticker seals instead.

I've only ever bought them instore in supermarkets, and they have always been shrink wrapped. I don't know if ones bought direct are any different.
    I got my #50011 and #50006 from Lego [email protected] in Germany and both were not shrinkwrapped. They had the stickers instead. My guess is that this is the new design.
    Yes, it is a new 2013 development. Newer batches of City Alarm are not shrink wrapped either.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Creationary isn't shrink-wrapped anymore; they're using the 2 seals. BTW, Walmart stores have been clearing them out for $21 plus tax.