Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you buy sets that you don't like?

iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
edited August 2013 in Collecting
Recently I have found myself purchasing sets I would have avoided in the past because they were unappealing. I have come to the point now, though, where some of my purchases are based off of particular pieces in the set. An example are the friends sets. In all honesty I find them to be lacking on many levels but certain types of pieces I want to use for MOC's are found in those sets(at reasonable prices). And so here I am buying ugly, tasteless sets solely for small amounts of bits and pieces. Does anyone else do this? Is this a nutty thing to do just to acquire a few specialized pieces?

Comments

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Try Bricklink for the parts unless you can get the unappealing set highly discounted.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    edited August 2013
    I've thought of that but I like to have the whole set.....i'm sure that sounds weird
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,630
    Reasons why I own sets I don't like:
    -Ploybags slowly eat my money up..because of the minifigures.
    -I bought random sale items I never had interest in.
    -I bought sets for minifigures and not the build.

Now I buy sets not for the minifigures, just for the build like the Lego exclusives.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    If you are using the parts for MOCs, any Lego is good Lego, IMHO. :}

augen
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    Yup....I buy anything at 50% off
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,299
    In your case, @iancan33, your question is actually a loop that you have already answered yourself.
    iancam33 said:

And so here I am buying ugly, tasteless sets solely for small amounts of bits and pieces. Does anyone else do this? Is this a nutty thing to do just to acquire a few specialized pieces?

You say you buy ugly friend's sets for small bits and pieces. These small bits and pieces would be much affordable to purchase separately from the rest of the pieces you don't want, on Bricklink (as someone has already suggested. However, you don't do this... why?
    iancam33 said:

I like to have the whole set.

Ta Da! You answered your own question. Even when you are buying sets you don't think you like for pieces for MOCs, you are still buying it (as opposed to going to BL) because you like to have the whole set. As I said before... it's a loop, but you've really already answered your question in an off-handed way ;o)
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Depending on if they are new parts or not...you can also buy them direct from the Missing Pieces part of shop.lego.com. If you want them in bulk, and a color that is not yet mass produced across many many sets, this option can save you oodles in piecemealing the same amount from different stores on BL or BOwl.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    If you're using it in a MOC isn't the MOC your "whole set" that you like to have? I like to have whole sets too, for sets that I actually want. If I want a particular minifig I buy the set and keep it whole. I don't use my set pieces to MOC with otherwise the set really isn't complete. It is just a bag of parts I didn't decide to use. If you're never going to use the extra parts of the "set" then there really is no point to having it.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited August 2013
    It doesn't happen very often anymore but I still do buy the occasional set I don't care for in order to complete a theme collection. For example, I don't really like the Vampyre Hearse or Zombies set but I got them anyway, same with the Hobbit Goblin Battle.

I only do this though if the theme is not too big, so themes like City and Star Wars are out of the question.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    ^ I am just the same, for small themes which require completion I am happy to buy sets which I am less keen on, for me the MF Ghost Train comes to mind.

I have bought a few smaller sets for parts, the Friends polybags in particular, but this is an uncommon event. I Bricklink parts almost constantly instead!
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Regardless of the motivation, I like to buy sealed sets so that I know the parts are new and untouched by human hands! :}
    icey117AdzbadboyT_Lars91stlegotrooper
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2013
    I do this all the time. In fact with very few exceptions (like Jamie Berard's sets or the Winter Village line) it is safe to say that I buy any and all sets for the parts alone.

There are many lines that I don't understand at all, like Chima, Ninjago, Friends — or Star Wars, for that matter. But I still buy them for the parts, whenever it makes financial sense (which with Star Wars in particular is pretty much never).

I find most of the sets I own (and of course even more of the sets I don't) to be nothing to write home about. And that's not even blasphemy, as they are meant to be nothing to write home about. When you look at, oh say, a City police car, its raison d'être is not to be the awesomest police car in human history, but simply that you can add a police car to your city. When you look at a 100-part Technic set, it's meant to be an impulse purchase so you can kill fifteen minutes of your time, and tear it apart with no regrets whenever you need the display space. And so on and so forth.

Truly gorgeous, fantastic, must-have sets are few and far between, but again, they are also meant to be few and far between, lest they be eating up each other's sales.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    ^ Same for me. I doubt I even built 50% of the sets I buy using lego's instructions. I part them into useful parts for MOCs and junk I will never use and get rid of the latter.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    If I ever buy a set I don't want, it's normally either when it's on offer and the value of the minifigs in them is high (then it's cheap parts for MOC's all around), or sometimes even random sets I normally wouldn't be interested in just for the sake of qualifying for a promotion like free shipping or money off voucher. Sometimes, even just to bump up my VIP points enough to tip the balance to get the next reward, if my points balance would be something like 1099 afterwards or something without the set I don't want.

In fact, I was buying Gatehouse Raid yesterday, which was £24.99. Just one penny off getting a £5 coupon. Without thinking, I just grabbed the cheapest thing I didn't have, a Friends animal polybag, and bought that too. That might sound normal until you find out that I try my best to avoid Friends sets just because it doesn't really appeal to me that much. :-) True story :-)

Some of my impulse purchases in the past for reason of getting a promotional item or extra points have included, for example, Attack on Weathertop. Yes, I did once buy a £50 set on impulse :-) what's totally crazy is that I didn't even want it :-)
    edited August 2013
    @samiam- I think to myself that the other pieces would be useful down the road. As chuxtoybox said "any lego is good lego" I'd have to agree in an off-handed way. I guess it is one of those things where I just like to say I have the set for the sake of having the set. I am a completist and it would bother me to have numerous pieces that didn't have a "home to go back to" in my collection.
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2013
    I've bought sets for the minifigures, the recent Iron Man and Man of Steel sets are an example, I bought two of the smaller sets just for the minifigures.
    One of the Man of Steel sets had a car that was good for my City set up though.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I do buy sets I don't like, but like many others only for parts or figs. Now I tend to do pick a brick, bricklink, or good ol TLG missing parts/customer services and now only buy sets that contain large numbers of parts I need for moc's. I have also bought multiple CMF's in the past when I virtual hated the entire line up available at the time just for the displays stands which on reflection was none to clever really.
  • jon11380jon11380 25 minutes from the LEGO Shop MKMember Posts: 56
    I have recently brought the new Friends Car, not for the set but for 4 particular pieces. This set contains four 1x4 magenta plates. This is the only set that has ever had this part and subsquently Bricklink does not have any, nor does PaB for that matter. I intend to move the set on with D. Blue 1x4 plate instaed. These will not change the overall appearance of the set particularly, or I may keep for my 18mth old daughter for later.
    ^ They are only 13p (so probably 20c) at bricks'n'pieces online.
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    Thanos75 said:

Yup....I buy anything at 50% off

I used to buy a lot of sets that I wasn't that bothered about in 3 for 2 deals, but now I only buy sets that I don't like if they're at least 40% discount. If it wasn't for some sets being so undesirable, I would definitely have a lot less Lego.

From a reselling perspective though, some of the least popular sets are now very valuable.

Thanos75
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited August 2013
    Ugggh. I do this much more than I like to admit. Collecting (Lego or otherwise) has a way of fostering a "got to get em all" mentality. This is really hitting me hard with the Modulars right now bc I feel compelled to buy the GE, TH, and PC even though they really don't appeal to me. I also go through this with CMF when I buy a few I really don't want just to compete a set if 16. I'm trying to break the habit bc I feel it is a waste, but it is a hard thing to do at times. I get myself straight only to catch myself starring down the emporium two days later.
    LegoboyindigoboxYellowcastle
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    @CircleK don't worry you are not alone. I started with the CMFs and has to complete them. I then bought my GF a few series 7s and she needed the complete series. It then moved to the modulars. I now feel compelled to complete series I start collecting.

Now I am looking in my room and I see Friends, Super Hero, Star Wars, TMNT, LOTR and Hobbit sets along with a pile of City stuff I really should just shift so I can get something I want.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    Friends, you don't need the Friends.
    indigobox
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2013
    Some people don't view LEGO as sets, but rather as pieces which they can use. I see nothing wrong with that. Just like some people like to collect sets, the rest of us like to collect parts and build their own creations and such. I'm mostly collector because it isn't that easy to get right pieces for me. But I bought few same sets several times just because I liked the pieces.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    edited August 2013
    (Answer to the thread question)
    No... but my wife does at rare occations, which, considering her disinterest in my hobby, leaves me in this dilema: Should I exchange the sets for the ones I want, or keep them as the declarations of true love... Also not to discourage her from repeating the act of kindness?
    LegoboyBumblepantsYellowcastleFenrisAkashi
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    I used to buy sets I don't like, I guess for parts, but haven't really bought too much this year.
    CircleK said:

. I also go through this with CMF when I buy a few I really don't want just to compete a set if 16.

The best thing I ever did with the CMF line is deciding I like some of them and not all. I traded away ones I didn't like even if I had only one - this was when series 5 was out. Not being a completist is real freedom to collect the ones you like rather than feeling you need to have all of them out of duty to be complete.
    sidersddPepper
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    icey117 said:

(Answer to the thread question)
    No... but my wife does at rare occations, which, considering her disinterest in my hobby, leaves me in this dilema: Should I exchange the sets for the ones I want, or keep them as the declarations of true love... Also not to discourage her from repeating the act of kindness?

This deserves a thread of its own. :o)

91stlegotrooperdimefield
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I've been doing this with the last two waves of Friends' sets. I had originally bought every set from the first two waves for my girls to play with, and they loved them. They don't play with them as much anymore, but the compulsion to "have them all" compels me to continue the collection onward. Bought the last sets I still needed just today in fact.

I find I do this with City too - I have all the "Great Vehicles" sets - keep buying them, I build them once, let the kids play with them for a day or two, then bag them up and store them. Just went and bought all the Coast Guard stuff too, because I liked them all and know they probably won't do the theme again for a few years. Ditto for the Mine stuff last year.

Thus far I've resisted the completionist urge on Galaxy Squad - I've only bought the sets I like (4 total), and despite my original plans to buy all the Lone Ranger stuff, I have thus far resisted all of them but the stagecoach, and hope to continue to fight the urge.
    iancam33 said:

"any lego is good lego"

Truest statement I've heard all week. :o)
    indigobox
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    ^ agree with that as well.

I can honestly say I have never built a set and thought "I don't like it", all Lego is good IMO :)

Sure I have bought sets from themes I don't normally purely because the price was too good to pass up but I have always enjoyed the build.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    iancam33 said:

"any lego is good lego"

#8310 ...
    CCCbeegeedee
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    I've never bought a set I did not like. I only buy sets I intend on building. Strange part is I collect non-sports cards as well (and used to collect hockey), and am an OCD completionist. For some reason, I don't collect whole themes of LEGO, though.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,157
    I bought a cheap Gungan Sub recently for my son. I figure I can sell the Queen Amidala he won't be interested in for $20-30 and he can have a nice big ship and some Jedi for about $20. Not a set I would want for myself but he will be excited and that is what matters.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,962
    edited August 2013
    I bought #40026 Statue Of Liberty because it was a reasonably exclusive polybag when I first got it, and, well, anyone else who collect polybags will understand why we collect them :)

So even though it's a really lame model which I really hate, I had to get two!

Does anyone actually think this looks good?
    vitreolumYellowcastle
    @mathbuilder. wow I never saw those sets before. Terrible, just terrible.
    @paul_merton. the statue of liberty is not that bad, not great, but not bad. what do you expect for 39 pieces?
    I prefer the CMF version ... or the slightly bigger one!
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,962
    I tend to think that if it can't be done well in Lego, then it shouldn't be done at all. The Statue of Liberty polybag is one of those sets (IMHO). But like I said, that didn't stop me buying it!

Sticking this on top of some tan bricks would have looked a lot better :)
  • LegoLego Member Posts: 62

I bought #40026 Statue Of Liberty because it was a reasonably exclusive polybag when I first got it, and, well, anyone else who collect polybags will understand why we collect them :)

Trashcan hat. LOL
    indigobox
    edited August 2013

I tend to think that if it can't be done well in Lego, then it shouldn't be done at all. The Statue of Liberty polybag is one of those sets (IMHO). But like I said, that didn't stop me buying it!

Sticking this (CMF SOL) on top of some tan bricks would have looked a lot better :)

Something I tried to do. I made a CMF SOL stand to semi-scale in LDD. Yet another project that I never ordered the bricks for...
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2013
    I'm actually on the verge of buying set #10656 just because it's a unique torso. I also justify it as I get another new brown horse, and some pink bricks...
    flowerpotgirl
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Lego said:

Trashcan hat. LOL
    As a New Yorker, this polybag should have appealed to me. But it looks like a Terra Cotta Warrior, rather than the Staute of Liberty.

• TheCultLeaderTheCultLeader Member Posts: 48
    I buy every poly I come across and generally don't like them all that much, especially the mini SW builds. I'm a completist (I like to have complete sets as well as complete themes on display) and feel that a lot of the time the smaller sets are a bit of a waste when I already have the bigger set in the theme, especially if they don't include any cool exclusive minifigs or parts. I've been holding off on buying smaller City sets for this reason, but will eventually buy them anyway so the collection is complete. One of the biggest factors that drives me to keep buying sets that I don't think are total winners is the fear that I will regret not buying them after they retire, so I've bought several sets mainly because they would be retiring soon. I can usually gauge how much interest I have in a set based on how long I keep it in the box. Some sets I've kept for a few weeks, but the best sets I have to build as soon as possible.
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 659
    As a MINIFIGURE collector I too buy sets I'm not that keen on for the figures however I was recently offered a cheap galaxy squad set which I had no intention of buying at full price. To be honest the figures are awesome so I will now be purchasing the rest of the theme to ensure I get a full set of figures though I'm really not interested in the rest of the set.
    yys4u said:

I'm actually on the verge of buying set #10656 just because it's a unique torso. I also justify it as I get another new brown horse, and some pink bricks...

It is a nice torso too. I bought a few direct (at only about 55p) instead of the whole sets.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I'm struggling with this right now.. I hate the Jek 14 plane, but the figs are awesome. Very rare that I like all 4 figs in a set. There going for quite a bit of money right now as well.