The Simpsons LEGO

Comments

• BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    They gotta be yellow.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Anybody want to speculate whether the minifigures will be yellow or not since this is a licensed theme?

There's really no need to speculate. If they're not yellow, they're not The Simpsons.
    cardgenius
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Guess how many this theme will bring out of their dark age!
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    I haven't watched The Simpsons in years but that doesn't mean no one else does. It wouldn't still be on the air if that was the case and Fox wouldn't be looking to make a Billion Dollars off syndication deals.

For me, the minifigs are what have my interest the most, but I would definitely buy some sets if they made a Kwik-E-Mart, Nuclear Power Plant or the Simpsons house.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821

Anybody want to speculate whether the minifigures will be yellow or not since this is a licensed theme?

I highly doubt that lego will make their Simpsons figures flesh colour, they will definitely be more or less true to their normal colour which is the classic yellow, I would find it very odd to see a flesh colour homer :-D

• CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    When I found out that The Simpsons has been confirmed today I was over the moon, and I was telling my mum and dad and we were speculating about all the sets they could reel off this, after all we know The Simpsons setting in great detail which could cause problems.

For one... To me the first set you think of is The Simpsons home... You then think of the detail we know about The Simpsons home, and the next thing that springs to my mind is the size... would a 32 by 32 plate be big enough to house a set like this on?

If you decide to make the house as big and perhaps as details as it deserves to be it's going to feature a large number of parts, and parts means money and suddenly I see this set becoming one of the £70 sets...

So then you think about the other common places, the elementary school, the power plant, the Kwik-E-Mart again all rather Adetailed places.

I think Lego is going to need to find a fine balance here between too many detailed sets and therefore too pricey & too small, too cheap and not enough detail.

I do hope they get it right!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,174
    I haven't seen a Simpson's episode in years, but Lego Simpsons might bring me out of the dark ages and catch up on what I've missed. I have a lot of fond memories of the show when I saw them as a kid. I wonder if they'll do Itchy and Scratchy.... probably as likely as Duff Man.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    coachie said:

Beav said:

Beav said:

tom4086 said:

I can just see the NYCC and SDCC Exclusives now...

Oh god, they'll do Radioactive Man or a McBain one and I'll pay for it. I know I won't be able to resist it.

Surely the Comic Con exclusive would be Comic Book Guy? :-)

Worst. Exclusive. Ever.
    Moreso, the halloween special edition of him where he played the villain The Collector (?), capturing the celebrities and keeping them MISB.

Oh, the irony of a bunch of fat blokes queuing and jostling for a model of a fat bloke. I include myself in the above. Just at the front of the queue.
    Yep, that would be perfect. And I too would join you, fighting to get my hands on it.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    I haven't watched anything in the last 5 or 6 seasons of Simpsons but I love the older episodes and am glad to see these coming out.
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    This will be extremely bad for the wallet!

The house should be done properly and of a fair size, I think would still fly off the shelf for £150
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 291
    Great news! Possibilities + minifigures = endless
    Adzbadboy
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Going by other new lines then I guess we'd be looking at 6 sets in the first wave. Clearly there are a lot of of options, but in descending size / cost order? (I realise these dont necessarily hit the price points)

1 - Simpsons House: including Couch gag with full family
    2 - TV studio: Krusty, Sideshow Bob, Itchy & Scratchy (Sideshow Mel, Mr Teeny) - something to fire sideshow bob from?
    3 - Kwik-E-Mart: Apu, Snake - counter, squishy machine, arcade machine if Jimbo and Kearney and dolph are included
    4 - School bus: Otto, Bart - something along the lines of the HP night bus
    5 - Moe's Tavern: Moe, Barney, Duffman - I know this is unlikely but I'd still want it!
    6 - Jebediah Springfield Statue with Bart & skateboard, Millhouse

Others we might see:
    Springfield Elementary: Principle Skinner, Groundskeeper Willy, Lisa with sax, Nelson (plus Edna Krabappel, Superintendent Chalmers?)
    Power plant: Mr Burns, Smithers, Homer with inanimate rod (Lenny, Carl)
    Leftorium: Ned Flanders, Rod & Todd
    Monorail: Dare I say it?!

Loads of characters for polys, Comic-book Guy, Dr Nick, Rev Lovejoy, Chief Wiggum (with Lou & Eddie), Nelson and so many more.

The Treehouse of Horror series also gives some great Halloween special opportunities with Kang and Kodos, etc.

Will be interesting to see if they vary the main characters, as homer is always homer, same clothes every time. Same for most characters. They managed to get round this with the TMNTs as here are two of each so I guess they'll be trying it anyway.

I'd imagine a lot of the colours will be very 'friends' too.

Sorry, post over!
    Adzbadboy
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    leego76 said:

The house should be done properly and of a fair size, I think would still fly off the shelf for £150

I don't mean to be a downer, but you may want to temper your expectations a bit.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    edited August 2013
    I see this as replacing the SpongeBob line. Trading Orange for Yellow bricks.
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 259
    Do we think that the minifig heads will be moulded, like the Toy Story minifigs?
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    Thego said:

Do we think that the minifig heads will be moulded, like the Toy Story minifigs?

A lot of people think that, but I think we'll see regular heards with either pieces like this: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=95747pb02
    Or just regular hair pieces.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Ma1234 said:

Adzbadboy said:

-Lego has a licence with Fox...X-Men...

X-Men is a Disney/Marvel license, not Fox. Fox just distributes the movies.

Not for the movies at all. And though I'd prefer to see X-Men sets based off the comics, I'll take any X-Men sets I can get at this point.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    Do I love the Simpsons? No, but this is a theme that could be great fun. MOCing would be pretty fun too, depending on what sets they release because, who knows if this will be a one and done.

Now, if they will just release that second wave of Alien Conquest. :-)
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    What about the play features you know they'll want to add?
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156

My guess is that the first wave features:

742 Evergreen Terrace with Marge and Maggie. This will be the $100-150 set. Possibly Homer or Bart as well.
    A playset from Springfield Elementary with Lisa and Skinner
    A smaller street "play scene" with Bart, Milhouse, and a skate board
    Homer's control room at the power plant with Homer, Burns, and Smithers (depending on size, maybe also Lenny and Carl).

They will, of course, scatter the family among multiple sets so that we buy all of them. :) I don't think we will see too many other characters in the first wave.

Second wave will have
    - Flanders' House
    - Police Station with Wiggum
    - Moe's Tavern (perhaps they'll replace with Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag to avoid the liquor references? ;) )
    - Church with Lovejoy

What about a school bus and Otto
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I don't think we see a $100+ set.. Not in the first wave. I think it will be similar to TMNT.
    andheicey117
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    pteric said:

What about a school bus and Otto

Is this how we finally get our school line that everyone seems to be clamoring about?

Also I'm guessing there will be no mention of Rev. Lovejoy as Lego does not do religion.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,272
    ^ Especially not the one true faith which is "the Western Branch of American Reform Presby-Lutheranism" :o)
    icey117GothamConstructionCo
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Really not seeing them invest that heavily in this, how would you do a Kwik E mart or their house, or school, well? They'd have to be really expensive sets. The school bus seems to be the only one so far that seems realistic
    Think smaller sets are more realistic, with big sets like the Simpsons house or Kwik-E-Mart being big sets that you get a few of each year.

Small sets like the Simpsons couch, with a TV and wall/bookcase etc, or they do things like Bart and some skateboarding stuff, like a ramp. Homer and his desk at the power plant, things like that.
    andheicey117
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I don't see how you can compare the Simpsons to Lord of the Rings. I remember an episode of Simpsons that showed Itchy and Scratchy reenacting the scene in Reservoir Dogs where a cop gets his ear cut off! And they showed it as graphic as the movie did!

What examples can you give that are more violent in The Lord of the Rings, a movie based on classic literature, than Wormtail slicing Harry Potter's arm with a dagger to collect his blood, or Anakin Skywalker cutting off the hands of Count Dooku and slaying children?
  • rolvtdrolvtd Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013

I don't see how you can compare the Simpsons to Lord of the Rings. I remember an episode of Simpsons that showed Itchy and Scratchy reenacting the scene in Reservoir Dogs where a cop gets his ear cut off! And they showed it as graphic as the movie did!

What examples can you give that are more violent in The Lord of the Rings, a movie based on classic literature, than Wormtail slicing Harry Potter's arm with a dagger to collect his blood, or Anakin Skywalker cutting off the hands of Count Dooku and slaying children?

How about a guy with a sword in his gut who grabs the swordsman's hands and pushes the sword further into himself just to get at the guy? I saw some adults cringe a bit at that one in the theater.

Not that I personally have a problem with the Simpsons license mind you...
    I knew Lurtz grabbing the sword would be mentioned. My point was why target Lord of the Rings when other properties also made by Lego could be targeted. Are Harry Potter and Star Wars above reproach simply because of their popularity or that they are perceived to be "geared towards children"?

The violence in LOTR for the most part is necessary to tell the story. You can't tell a story about a war without showing some degree of violence.

The violence in Itchy and Scratchy was done to intentionally show violent acts for Bart and Lisa to laugh at, the point of the creators being that the cartoons they used to watch as kids were just as violent. Graphically cutting off an ear with a straight razor is way beyond Bugs Bunny sticking his finger in Elmer Fudd's shotgun so it would blow up in Fudd's face.
    And though I'm obviously against Simpson Lego, it is my opinion that they would have specially molded heads, perhaps even torsos, due to the overall shape. Homer's head is larger than the old man minifig so it wouldn't look right if they simply used that hairpiece. Plus all of the Simpsons have "bug eyes". Simply using flat prints on normal minifigure heads would look terrible. It does make me wonder how they would do Marge's pearls.

I don't understand why Lego would want to make these characters in the first place, regardless of the show's content. The overall design of the Simpsons doesn't fit with the design of a minifigure without making a lot of compromises.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,785
    Most people don't look like minifigs, but they work.

Simpsons will be standard torsos with print. Otherwise they won't sell as well. If they look like non-Lego toys, then there is no point Lego making them.
    icey117CommodorelegolasAdzbadboy
    icey117 said:

Guess how many this theme will bring out of their dark age!

Two?
    icey117FurrysaurusLegoRocco
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,483
    With over 500 episodes the possibilities for sets are almost endless.
    However I suspect Lego designers will cover things that are not already produced in the city, creator and friends product lines.

So :-
    a School Bus with Otto, and 4 of the kids, Ralph, Millhouse, the twins?
    Nuclear power plant with Mr Burns,Smithers, Lenny, Carl etc?
    Kwik E Mart? robbery with Apu, Snake or Sideshow Bob, a police car and Wiggum.
    TV studio with Krusty the Clown, Sideshow Mel and Mr Teeny the chimp?
    Comic store with Comic book guy and Bumblebee Man?
    The Sofa with the Simpsons, Grandpa and a TV? Maybe Santa's Little Helper and Snowball.

Of course they could do a series of small sets with the pets of the Simpsons.
    Including Lisa's cats Snowball 1-5, or horse Furious D, Bart's Elephant Stampy, Bart Junior his Frog or his Bolivian Tree lizard Chirpy, Homer's Spiderpig or Pinchy the Lobster ? :) :) :)
    Scottlego667Adzbadboy
    I wonder if we will get all the characters?
    http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/characters/poster#completeList
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821
    icey117 said:

I wonder if we will get all the characters?
    http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/characters/poster#completeList

Well we have some really similar components/accessories & minifigures already to the simpsons characters in the CMF's line such as:

Already available pieces. Simpsons
    Bumblebee woman- Bumblebee man
    Sea captain- Sea captain
    Police man- Chief wiggums hat etc
    Daredevil- Lance Murdock daredevil
    Jazz musician- Lisa's saxophone
    Boxing gloves- Boxer
    Judge wig- Judge
    Mobster/mechanic hair- Fat tony components
    Old man- Generic headpiece maybe used for some minifigures, eg mr burns
    Darth maul headpiece- Barts headpiece
    Fat piece like bomburs- Figures such as comic book guy
    Grandma hair- Maudes hair
    Scottish bagpipe- Groundskeeper willie
    Disco dude- Disco stu
    Cave woman's hair- Sideshow mels hair
    Hazmat guy- Nuclear plant suit
    Chefs hat- Luigi

There are still plenty more to name and compare but some of these have a great resembelence to some Simpsons characters and others are a little bit weaker. :-D
    Commodorelegolas
    ^ wow! The entire CMF was just to prepare for the Simpsons!!!! :-) ;-) [irony intented]
    kezCommodorelegolasFurrysaurus
  • rolvtdrolvtd Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013

I knew Lurtz grabbing the sword would be mentioned. My point was why target Lord of the Rings when other properties also made by Lego could be targeted. Are Harry Potter and Star Wars above reproach simply because of their popularity or that they are perceived to be "geared towards children"?

The violence in LOTR for the most part is necessary to tell the story. You can't tell a story about a war without showing some degree of violence.

The violence in Itchy and Scratchy was done to intentionally show violent acts for Bart and Lisa to laugh at, the point of the creators being that the cartoons they used to watch as kids were just as violent. Graphically cutting off an ear with a straight razor is way beyond Bugs Bunny sticking his finger in Elmer Fudd's shotgun so it would blow up in Fudd's face.

It's interesting you should compare Bugs Bunny to Itchy and Scratchy, considering I don't think I've ever seen Itchy and Scratchy in black face. Not something I can say for dear little Bugs. Am I going suggest that Bugs Bunny shouldn't be in Lego because of it? Not really.

All the arguments about Simpsons being a bit...late considering it's no where near it's popularity of the past I can buy though.
    If they use Darth Maul's headpiece for Bart, then I am out.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 794
    I'm really looking forward to this. I think they'll open with 3 main sets, the infamous couch scene, the back-yard tree-house and the school bus. If these sell well then I wouldn't be that surprised to see the house, the school, Kwik-e-Mart or the Springfield police station either, but I'd be amazed if we saw the Tavern at any point.

I think this has a lot of potential. Imagine the small(ish) sets we could see, the Jebediah Springfield statue with detachable head; the Springfield "Hollywood"-type sign; the school blackboard; Krusty Burger; the TV studio; the two cars and the pets. There could even be a mini-figure series dedicated just to the Simpsons, there are more than 100 defined semi-recurring characters in the show.

The thing about the Simpsons and Springfield is that they've done everything. There's so much scope here for them to be easily able to avoid Duff beer and the other potentially damaging elements of the show.
  • CommodorelegolasCommodorelegolas Member Posts: 21
    CCC said:

Agreed. That just would NOT look right.

• pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    ^ I think whoever brought that up just meant the style of the headpiece; a little toupee type piece as opposed to a completely molded head like the toy story alien, buzz, or woody.
    kezRomanticWarrior
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    CCC said:

Darth Bart? ;-) (resists thinking about ridiculous Simpsons Star Wars parody)

But no, I highly doubt they'll do that. Wouldn't production of that piece be strictly limited to SW anyway?
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I just have one word: Monorail!
    SPJtiminchicagoAdzbadboySchwallex
  • SPJSPJ Member Posts: 41
    emilewski said:

Ohhh. Good thought :)

• timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    I think The Simpsons is a perfectly cromulent theme and would embiggen the entire AFOL community.
    peterlinddkhewmanCapnRex101jadeirene
    emilewski said:

Is there a chance the track could bend?

legomason
  • SPJSPJ Member Posts: 41

I think The Simpsons is a perfectly cromulent theme and would embiggen the entire AFOL community.

Disingenuous mountebanks with their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them!

• ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    I really am not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, the idea of Simpsons lego does seem pretty unique and who knows, maybe it'll open up the possibility of family guy lego one day(both fox network shows and i really could see FG lego stuff).

but on the other hand, lego does seem to be having issues with licensed themes in a few different categories and i don't think another hit or miss is very wise at this time.

• jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Best I can think of is a load of diaroma sets, showing classic scenese. Can't see them going to town on a massive Simpsons house
    I don't see them doing one episode ideas. Surely they will go for something recurring rather than from a single episode.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    What, CMF Series 12-The Simpsons? Sweet!