Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Help with making a wooden water tower using 1x6 tiles.

BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
edited August 2013 in Building and Techniques
I want to make a wooden water tower on top of my apartment building MOC.
Using brown 1x6 tiles standing up as planks of wood and have the large 8x8 dish part as the top of the tower.
Im stumped on how to make the round tower, I know its possible, but haven't found any MOCs yet on how to attach the 1x6 tiles to a round frame. :/

Comments

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,770
    Hinge plates with SNOT bricks will work. For example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6803582671/in/photostream/

Of course, if it's small, it will have fewer segments and look less round.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Brickman the above from @binaryeye is a good technique with the hinge plates on top.

Another method would be using locking hinge plates #44301 & #44302 but place on the side to form the upper and lower rings. Then just place the wood tiles on top. I'm guessing you can do 8 sides max while still fitting an 8x8 dish on top.

And there are also printed wood grain 1x6 tiles in tan or yellow that you can use for the extra touch:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6636px1
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    You could also go up to 1x8 or down to 1x4 and use the 1x4 tile with wood pattern.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2431pb243
  • BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
    Thanks very much. I do have some hinge plates. Im pretty sure the "headlight" brick should work as good as I dont have many of those newer types.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    Just stack a bunch of these, stick stacks of 1x1 plates off of the side-studs and then align them so that the side-studs are staggered in as many directions as it will take to form the ring you need. Finally, attach 1x8 tiles to the stacks of 1x1 plates to form the sides of your cylinder.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    edited August 2013
    Here you go.

This uses 1x1 plates but I'd recommend 1x1 round plates since Lego is kind enough to always throw extras of those into sets and you probably have a surplus of them.
    binaryeye
  • BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
    Thanks. I'll experiment with that :)