Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying from Amazon

2»

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-71001-Minifigures-Series-10/dp/B00CA1ALKQ/

Another one...

Should be $2.99, the list price shows as $4.99 and they are selling them for $3.95
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,962
    I have seen the small friend sets (9.99 ones) marked up by a few dollars. That has been going on since they were first released. In general, though, I do not see Amazon marking up. I suspect the first one you mention is some error related to the wrong list price. I also do not thing this a new trend of inching things up. I think time will tell.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Yeah, I don't have any current examples (and, don't remember the exact items), but I have seen amazon list the RRP above what the actual RRP is, then price it as 10% off, or some such. And, the % off price still be above RRP. I have seen that several times, and not just recently. To me that is nothing new for amazon to do. But, I have never noticed them doing it a lot. And, this is on items sold by amazon, not a third party.

So, no one should have some false sense that amazon always has the lowest price. Whether it be LEGOS or anything else. Always comparison shop.
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2013
    I have seen this on a number of occasions — but probably still too few, and over too long a time period, to really call it a trend.

Not much of an issue to myself at any rate, as I always check actual RRPs and mostly go by PPP anyway. So for all I care they can mark all sets up to €300 across the board, I won't be jumping on something just because it's 99% off if it's still 20 cent/part.
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    I did notice another trend though. On Amazon.de, they gradually stopped listing the number of parts in a set, starting about a year ago. They used to have a dedicated table row for that figure, now no more.

Of course, unlike in the US, the actual set boxes in Germany never sported that number to begin with, but that made Amazon all the more useful. And hey, it can't even be a directive from TLG, as the German [email protected] still displays that number, so I'm left wondering what gives.
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Corporate-Alliance-Droid/dp/B00AZL3TLQ/

This is a $19.99 USD set, Amazon is selling it for about $25 at the moment (not a third party seller, this is from Amazon.com Retail)

This is not a good trend...

This set is an error on Amazon's part. It is related to the #75013 Umbaran MHC set for 19.99 that was there the other day. It was talked about in this thread. bricksetforum.com/discussion/11620/us-lego-75013-star-wars-umbaran-mhc-19-99-amazon-60-off
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I have noticed that Amazon US is quickly raising it book and music CD prices this summer, so it would not surprise me if prices on the other goods if offers increase. It has few large competitors left and is suffering from low profits. So now it can raise prices on many product lines. I have never thought that its prices on LEGO were a bargain.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    The worrying thing is, if this becomes more prevalent TLG will take notice, and from a business point of view, see no reason not to increase the RRP.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Calling this a trend is a bit of overkill. I'd call it more of an abberation. Now Target stores on the other hand have higher prices in store on quite a few items, #70503 for $32.99( rrp $29.99), #3065 for $22.99 ( rrp 19.99) #41000 can be had for $7.89 ( rrp 6.99), #3183 was $17(rrp 14.99), #3937 was 11.99 ( rrp 9.99) to name a few.

Took my daughter comparison shopping one day so she could maximize the purchasing power of tooth fairy money :-)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    The thing that bugs me about Target is what they did with the Creator Log Cabin (and probably others). They usually sell stuff at RRP. The cabin was $29.99 forever. Then it went on clearance and the "regular" price they quoted was like $36.46 and was on clearance for $29.97 or something. This last wave of clearance I saw some stores that had it red stickered for $31.06. It is one thing to pull a TRU and mark it up from the beginning but to change it around like that is just poor.
    Yellowcastle
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    ^ oh yeah there was that Harry Potter Knight Bus last year that could be had for clearance price of 39$ when rrp was 34.99.
  • geographybee2012geographybee2012 Member Posts: 26
    I go to a local toy shop to get minifigures sometimes - they have shelves of Lego sets (especially SW and Super Heroes) that are about $5 more expensive than at the Lego store. The saddest part is that people think it's got to be a great deal since the store specializes in Legos :)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,663
    edited August 2013
    Our Amazon Bargain Watch page accounts for inflated or deflated RRPs quoted at Amazon, so discounts shown are actual discounts based on the LEGO.com RRP.

So, best check there first :-)
    GuroooFollowsCloselyYellowcastlejasor
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    I remember seeing the Cannibal Escape set marked up for $36 at some Targets.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    legogal, amazon is not suffering from low profits. Thin margins, yes, but that's different, and they make up for it with their huge volume of sales. Your claim that their Lego prices aren't good, well, just isn't true. The few exceptions mentioned in this thread prove the rule: it's unusual for amazon to sell above the manufacturer's suggested retail price. And who else has no sales tax (for most states) and free shipping? If you know of any source of Lego that's cheaper than amazon, let us know.
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Happens in a lot of different retail areas on Amazon from time to time, it's nothing to worry about. It's more of a fluke than anything. They'll discount it to proper levels eventually.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 723
    ^I do not think it is a "fluke."
    Amazon has always done this on items across all types for many years. I've seen it on electronics, books, CDs, DVDs, office products, home products... Their "list price" should not be trusted on anything. However, I happily shop with them for lots of stuff "caveat emptor."
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Oh for sure, the list price isn't particularly meaningful but the *actual* price they sell at is often the proper price. They wouldn't have become successful if they sold things for higher prices than regular retail outlets after all.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited August 2013
    Just adding my '+1' to the noticing of Amazon's increasing habit of false RRP statements. So much so in fact that I recently referred to them in the same breath as TRU, when talking to someone about toy deals.

In fact I'm seeing more above-RRP prices in general, across more stores, even ASDA direct and Argos too. And yes, I think it does in turn eventually result in TLG increasing the base price in response... like we need that!
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    I've always noticed this habit of over-RRP price setting on Amazon's UK site, but up until recently, I had only noticed it on retired sets that Amazon still had in stock (2011 Ninjago and HF sets immediately spring to mind), Amazon would commonly command over a 100% rise from RRP on those.

But, very recently, I think I saw the price of #70000 increase to £9.99 on there. It's the price increase on smaller sets you notice the most, I believe.

One word: Ridiculous! :-)
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Hmmm, kinda proves the point I had discussed with a HK based toy vendor about the pricing LEGO has on their website and the prices businesses like Amazon and others used to sell LEGO. The mentioned toy vendor and alot like them get into heated debates with LEGO over the entire pricing structures. Uniform prices anyone??