Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold hunt thread

Comments

• AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,681
    @MyKeReCkA, Did you find it in a opened box or sealed??
  • MyKeReCkAMyKeReCkA Member Posts: 3
    Adzbadboy said:

@MyKeReCkA, Did you find it in a opened box or sealed??

Open box at Toys R Us.

Is it worth selling Mr. Gold or keeping it?
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Prices of him are holding pretty steady, so if you want him then keep him, as you likely won't get another chance to buy him unless you want to spend the big bucks.

But, if you don't want to keep him, it's an easy few hundred quid.
    @Beav, If I find Mr. Gold I will probably get one to keep and another to sell!!

I seriously need some money!!
  • seonadancingseonadancing Member Posts: 92
    A fellow member of the local LUG found one in a sealed box he bought from a local seller, who bought the box in Singapore. There are now 2 people in the Philippines who has a Mr Gold. He went through 30packs then got it on the 31st.
    indigoboxmurphquake
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,438
    Well, it looks like my Mr. Gold hunt is officially over. If I want one now, I will have to buy one :( The prices are still crazy.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Pitfall69 said:

Well, it looks like my Mr. Gold hunt is officially over. If I want one now, I will have to buy one :( The prices are still crazy.

I forgot this thing even existed!
    I'm sorry.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Pitfall69 said:

Yeah, I remember people saying how much the price will drop once they hit the market. Wish one of those people would buy me one.

Pitfall69 said:

I'm sorry.

Don't worry about it, I was never really determined to get one anyways. ;)
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    I'll still be checking every pack of s10 i see but it's fewer and fewer... still hopeful
    kylejohnson11
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    I'm just waiting for S10 to get marked down. Then will take my chances with whatever I get.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Just saw a new box of S10 at my TRU so had to feel through it.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    As of this post, there have been 1695 registered. Therefore there are 3305 remaining, according to the map. (Although I know for a fact that 2 more can be removed from that number). Out of this number, maybe one third were found and not registered as registering may be unimportant to some or they have plans on selling, so they did not register. Another third possibly has been found and is being kept for the price to go up even further (is that possible?) and sold at a future date. That leaves another 1000 somewhere out there to be discovered. Don't you think? I say keep checking any S10 pack you are lucky enough to find.
    I think there are still a lot of S10 boxes out there. Heck, I just bought a couple of Series 6 boxes from Target the other day.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I was at the Ohio comic-con and there was a guy selling boxes of series 3 and 4 . He said he bought an entire skid of each and has been struggling to sell them so he drags acouple boxes to the shows and sells them for retail. I have seen new boxs of 10 popping up at stores but I dont have the drive to dig through them anymore. I agree with Pitfall...That ship has sailed for me.
    TheLoneTensor
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    margot said:

I think there are still a lot of S10 boxes out there. Heck, I just bought a couple of Series 6 boxes from Target the other day.

walmarts around here still have at least 30 packs a piece of s10 and no 11. there's even series 9 at 1 walmart.

• chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    Been encountering Series 9 and 10 pretty regularly in my parts. But I've never seen sealed boxes of any series for sale anywhere. Where are they generally stashed?
    @chromedigi, when I got a few boxes at Target she pulled them from the back for me.
    ^ So you ask a random employee walking the floor if there are any boxes in back?
    ^No, I ask the person working behind the counter at the electronics dept. which is right next to the toy department.
    Also If you scan a cmf pack or punch in the DPCI number the scanner will tell you if there are more in the back room.
    edited October 2013
    Thanks! Not to belabor the point too much, but here's the likely scenario I would encounter: The Target has Series 11, and maybe some leftover 9 and/or 10 in the aisle display. I wouldn't think scanning any of these would tell you a thing about Series 4, for example, since they have different UPCs. So... I guess you just ask if they have any old ones kicking around back there? Or maybe you go in armed with the DCPI numbers. And if the latter, how do you obtain them, given the UPC, which is findable by ordinary mortals? Has someone posted a list of the DCPI #s for the various series anywhere? Or, maybe I'm wrong, and all the series do map to the same DCPI?
    They are all the same DPCI number. Just tell them you are looking for older series and ask them if they can tell you what they have in the back.
    chromedigikylejohnson11
    ^This

It is why I love this Lego Community.
    kylejohnson11
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    edited October 2013
    I only had one chance to find Mr. Gold at TRU the first day they were released. My experience goes likes this: I went to TRU, and to the LEGO isle, looking for Series 10, they normally have these boxes out on the shelves in the LEGO isle. They had nothing where they are stocked usually. I asked a employee and they directed me to the front of the store. They had taken all the Series 10 boxes and put them in the customer service station. There were about 6 boxes. I began looking through them, the manager then came over and asked which one I was looking for. I said Mr. Gold, she then said out of 6 boxes there were no Gold guys. I was puzzled at this statement, as how would she know unless the employees searched the boxes!? I questioned her about it and she said no they didn't, but her demeanor stuck me as that was not true. Furthermore she had previously said the packets that were folded represent special ones. It was evident all 6 new boxes had been picked through by employees for Mr. Gold so they could pocket him and probably sell him. They then marked bags they could later pickout or to help customers (really an excuse to look for Mr. Gold IMO, as they had never done that before). I thought the whole thing was highly unethical and unfair. After that I was done with looking for Mr. Gold. Series 10 sold out faster here than anything prior, and never was restocked. Stores just moved onto Series 11.
    Pitfall69
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Employees at TRU always check boxes. Learned that the first time I went searching. Chubby older guy in toy department, "Feelin' that top hat yet?" Then he walked off laughing.
    Pitfall69beemoLego
    legodude said:

I only had one chance to find Mr. Gold at TRU the first day they were released. My experience goes likes this: I went to TRU, and to the LEGO isle, looking for Series 10, they normally have these boxes out on the shelves in the LEGO isle. They had nothing where they are stocked usually. I asked a employee and they directed me to the front of the store. They had taken all the Series 10 boxes and put them in the customer service station. There were about 6 boxes. I began looking through them, the manager then came over and asked which one I was looking for. I said Mr. Gold, she then said out of 6 boxes there were no Gold guys. I was puzzled at this statement, as how would she know unless the employees searched the boxes!? I questioned her about it and she said no they didn't, but her demeanor stuck me as that was not true. Furthermore she had previously said the packets that were folded represent special ones. It was evident all 6 new boxes had been picked through by employees for Mr. Gold so they could pocket him and probably sell him. They then marked bags they could later pickout or to help customers (really an excuse to look for Mr. Gold IMO, as they had never done that before). I thought the whole thing was highly unethical and unfair. After that I was done with looking for Mr. Gold. Series 10 sold out faster here than anything prior, and never was restocked. Stores just moved onto Series 11.

That is something that was highly talked about. I can't remember if it was here or on EB but someone did share an image where they either got or saw a "mint" box from i'm pretty sure they said TRU where the pic showed what looked like some sort of nail mark like if someone used a nail to pry loose the tape then closed it back.

word on the street is that some employees were breaking into the boxes and taking M.G. b4 they even could make it to where ever the figures were going to be put out for the public to buy.

Just found this when googling "mr gold toys r us taking figures" http://www.brickpicker.com/forum/index.php/topic/3224-unfair-advantage-store-employees-searching-for-mr-gold/

This is one of the reasons I gave up before really trying. There's no way I can hit all the stores early and before others looking for Mr. Gold and then you don't even know if the boxes were searched before they even hit the shelves.
    Pitfall69 said:

This is one of the reasons I gave up before really trying. There's no way I can hit all the stores early and before others looking for Mr. Gold and then you don't even know if the boxes were searched before they even hit the shelves.

finding thread

The way it worked out for me is I read the Mr gold and decided to go hunting on a run to target. No luck on the 120 endcap but felt a ton of tomahawk guys.

I gave up until I found a 120 endcap box at Walmart to my surprise(discovered it in my rush to the facilities). No luck

kind of did a few pack check at the 2 further walmarts, nothing.

second closest got them but only about 20(recently discovered at least 30 on an endcap but I've giving up at this point) no luck.

Gave up and have almost completely moved on from the CMF line. I got 2 series 11, no cravings since then and not sure if i'm going after future series figures
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    legodude said:

A $500-$1000 item, relatively good probability of it being in a box (compared to say a lottery), relatively easy to discover without damaging the product, goverened by people who probably take a week to earn that much money.

Are we really surprised by this?
    Pitfall69
    I don't see how anyone can be surprised, especially Lego. Lego puts out rules on when to put their product on the shelves, but stores disregard these "rules". It even says on CMF shipping boxes not to put product out before x date. Lego shouldn't be surprised, but they should be concerned. Maybe they don't really care.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    A piece of cardboard wrapped around the pieces would weed out Mr. Gold hunters. It wouldn't work for Medusa, but would make Mr. Gold and, say, Skydiver indistinguishable.
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Way back when I first started my hunt and I was really interested, I contemplated getting a job at TRU then quit once I got one :)
    kooz said:

A piece of cardboard wrapped around the pieces would weed out Mr. Gold hunters. It wouldn't work for Medusa, but would make Mr. Gold and, say, Skydiver indistinguishable.

But the problem is complete blind packs would just lead to even more thefts of packs or sliced packs left behind and many would stop buying.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited October 2013
    Oh NOooOOoOOOooOooooO!

I think we can all agree the whole pros and cons of the mr gold thing/how to better package him (if at all)/retailers cherry picking/ etc, etc, has been debated around and around, over and again to the point of death... re-animated by evil witchdoctors, reheated, beaten to a lifeless pulp twice over, fried with a blow torch, blasted into space, conjured back to life by doomed occultists, and cursed to eternal damnation, etc etc, enough times now.

Either here in this thread, or elsewhere in the other mr gold/series 10 threads.

So, just for the sakes of our own sanity, lets keep this thread purely for the HUNT of mr gold - the happy stuff - and leave all that other stuff out of it (or prepare for another 20 pages of flagellated zombie equines).

Lol

:oD

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2013
    Just a reminder, there are new people here all the time, and they may have something to add. Just because something has already been discussed doesn't mean it can never be discussed again.
    ^yes, I totally agree, but some discussions - i.e. those which result in pages and pages of heated (and futile) argument - are worth mentioning if only to remind those who made their points previously to be wise enough not to repeat them again, but to let it slide this time.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I for one am angry at TLG! Arrgggh! Why did they have to release this???? I don't have one!!! Ahhhhh
    legomatt
    ^haha!

:oP
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    This may have been discussed but I wonder to what extent even TLG knew this would cause a stir? I mean people are legit head over heels over this. I mean maybe they saw it as a great marketing scheme to advance their sales of CMF? Who knows. But I'm just trying to introduce another angel perhaps for them it's all business. I know I'm rowdy as it is and would cry if I found one but certainly not cryING over not having one.
    I'm just happy at least some fellow Bricksetters found Mr. Gold.
    legomattmurphquakeSilentModemargot
    edited October 2013

...maybe they saw it as a great marketing scheme to advance their sales of CMF? Who knows. But I'm just trying to introduce another angle, perhaps for them it's all business.

To be honest, i think the 2-4-6 ratio was their big 'marketing' scheme to sell more figs (by making a complete set harder to come by/creating more 'chase rares' in a set etc), whilst mr gold was a basic (somewhat naive) promotional stunt to raise the collectables profile. It probably worked in that regard.

But (sorry to be off topic) I think the 2-4-6 thing is a disaster for the life of the range, doing far more damage than mr gold ever did, and is likely to slow-kill the entire series.

As a collector I'm certainly losing interest, the spread of figs on an average purchase is just dull (can't blind purchase now), trades are stagnant (as we have/miss the same ones), its now hard enough just to get a set, that I give up on having spares for mocs (which was a massive part of the fun AND meant more sales). God knows how non-fols feel about getting 'the same ones' all the time, I doubt they're going back for any more impulse purchases when they keep pulling skydivers, and 'timmy' is still missing half the set.

Which results in stores getting left with more and more unsold figs due to all the leftover, unwanted, 4's and 6's. And being left with unsold stock usually results in the decision to reduce the line to a short run, and later dropping entirely by the stores when sales dip too low, and then consequently by TLG (e.g. Star wars Planets) as orders dry up.

TLG will think demand has ended naturally. Whereas the reality is that they killed it with a miserly mix.

Which results in stores getting left with more and more unsold figs due to all the leftover, unwanted, 4's and 6's. And being left with unsold stock usually results in the decision to reduce the line to a short run, and later dropping entirely by the stores when sales dip too low, and then consequently by TLG (e.g. Star wars Planets) as orders dry up.
    Sounds like what's happened around here as far as figures. There's so many sky divers and tomahawks left last time I checked the closest walmart along with other unpopular figures.

One walmart is still sitting on about 30 or so each of series 9 and 10. The other still has at least 30 plus of #10.

No series 11 as of last run.

Honestly I'm not sure if they are going to get any more series in around here. The figures didn't/don't really sell well around here outside of series 6... kind of. Even when series 7 and 8 at one store were a buck a pack, they were slow to sell. Series 5 did seem to go fast at the other wm at a buck a pack but it seemed a little weird they went that fast.
    ^ What a story! Congrats on your find!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,618

I'm one fig away from having a complete set from 1-11/GB/Toy Soldier AND GOLDIE!

What's your missing figure, Murph ?

murphquake
  • FrictionPinFrictionPin Member Posts: 144
    Congrats @murphquake ! The whole "feeling" process escapes me. My fingers and brain cannot work together well enough to identify the contents of a sealed bag. My eyes laugh at me every time I open the bag to reveal my utter failure.
    BlueTheory
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Congrats! After all that work, that must be super satisfying.