Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Back to the Future Cuusoo Set

Comments

• legofanfromleedslegofanfromleeds legoland...England Member Posts: 414
    Adzbadboy said:

@legofanfromleeods, Lego made 10,000 units you should still be in luck!!

I've got everything crossed
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    My local LEGO store started selling these last week, they got 30 of them in, took 3 days to sell out.

That may or may not mean anything, since the launch date is Aug 1st, but they were given permission to sell on receipt.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    edited July 2013
    Adzbadboy said:

@legofanfromleeds, Lego made 10,000 units you should still be in luck!!

Have you anything to back this up? I can't help but think it would be silly buying a license for a 10000 run. I may be completely wrong but can't see there being only 10000 in the world, the two Westfields in London must have sold at least a 1000 between them... I was in Stratford a couple of days after release and the lad in there said at least 250 had gone in that store alone...

After the experience of Minecraft, I highly doubt they are only making 10K of them.

I still think the model is rubbish, but that doesn't mean they won't sell.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,703
    @joel4motion, Lego Cuusoo sets are originally limited to 10,000 but Minecraft Micro World (21102) had over 20,000 units made because of the popularity.

It may also be in this case with the DeLorean??
    Minecraft had a whole lot more than 20,000 made. :)

I would not be surprised if the current number produced was in excess of 500K.
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152

My local LEGO store started selling these last week, they got 30 of them in, took 3 days to sell out.

That may or may not mean anything, since the launch date is Aug 1st, but they were given permission to sell on receipt.

My local store got 21 in and sold out within 24 hours. That was without putting it on the shelves, they were kept
    In back and only those of us that knew to ask got them. I imagine once the general public sees them on the shelves they will go even quicker. With the exception of the hood, the model and figs are very nice. At $35 it's a no brainer, this set will sell fast.
  • adukaduk Member Posts: 155
    Picked mine up on Sunday at Lego store Manchester. it was flying off the shelves with no sign of a limit of one per customer so don't know how long it will be around for.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 3,003
    The only Cuusoo set that was a "limited release" deal was the Shinkai 6500. Only 10,000 of that were produced, and keep in mind this was back before LEGO Cuusoo went global, and the threshold for review was just 1,000 supporters.

With other Cuusoo sets, the batch size is between 10,000 and 20,000 copies (as Nabii describes in the comments here). That's just the initial production run of sets. Additional batches are produced according to demand for the first batch. So if the sets are flying off the shelves and retailers are ordering lots of additional copies, then TLG will step up production to attempt to meet that demand.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    @aduk as in yesterday? If so thats their second batch. The first sold out in 48 hours.
  • adukaduk Member Posts: 155
    @cheshirecat -yep there was a few shelves full at the front door - about 20 or so sets at least.
    ^ must have got a big delivery in on Thursday then. Originally there was a tiny shelf space underneath the jousts and like I say they sold out of all their stock in two days. I think they said that was a batch of 50.
  • ckenda1ckenda1 Member Posts: 121
    I picked up a set today. They sold out of the original 10 late last week and got 5 more in over the weekend and they were put out today. I snagged 1 and they had 2 left.
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    Troy, MI got 18 in this morning. They put them on the shelves at 10am and all were gone by 12, with a limit of 2 per person. Hopefully it isn't all resellers purchasing these, I'd like to see real demand and not speculators at this point as I would love to see a full BTTF theme released.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Tevans333 said:

Troy, MI got 18 in this morning. They put them on the shelves at 10am and all were gone by 12, with a limit of 2 per person. Hopefully it isn't all resellers purchasing these, I'd like to see real demand and not speculators at this point as I would love to see a full BTTF theme released.

I'm telling you it's resellers. BttF has hardcore fans, but they are not lining up at opening time on a Monday morning to buy up inventory. This set will be hard to find for awhile if you're just wanting to buy it to build.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    I was in the Schaumburg IL store on Saturday. They received 18 earlier in the day and all were sold by 4pm. They also said they should be getting more on tuesday but they did not know how many.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    I'm not so sure it's resellers here. I think most resellers are quite cautious of the set in the aftermarket, especially at full RRP. Because of the limit of 2, I think many people are getting the set and then grabbing another just in case it does go gold.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    tensor said:

I'm not so sure it's resellers here. I think most resellers are quite cautious of the set in the aftermarket, especially at full RRP. Because of the limit of 2, I think many people are getting the set and then grabbing another just in case it does go gold.

You're telling me that after Minecraft went beserk that there aren't at least a few people buying these up for resale? I'm telling you that there are more than a few. Especially with the possibility of the spelling error making it more desirable. At $35 a set you'll see Grandmas buying them to sock away.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,512
    ^I need a grandma like that!
    MorkMan
    edited July 2013
    mathew said:

tensor said:

You're telling me that after Minecraft went beserk that there aren't at least a few people buying these up for resale? I'm telling you that there are more than a few. Especially with the possibility of the spelling error making it more desirable. At $35 a set you'll see Grandmas buying them to sock away.
    I genuinely don't think the average reseller expects the spelling error to make a lot of difference. Besides the bizarre smooth Princess Leia hair, I've never known "misprint" LEGO parts to carry any kind of premium in the aftermarket. It's true that misprint collectibles sometimes carry a premium but that doesn't seem to affect the LEGO community to nearly the same extent.

Searching "Misprint LEGO" on eBay, I see a lot of items with absurdly high "Buy It Now" but I don't see any evidence that people are actually bidding on them or even buying them. Looking specifically at things that have been sold, I don't see much indication that ANY misprinted part or set has sold for over $100. Even the smooth-haired Leias that show up did not sell for the absurd price that the sellers were asking, and they had to settle for "Best Offer" (which I doubt even breached $200).

And what a lot of these misprints have in common is that they're rare. Many are actual misprints that came from a part going into the printing machine wrong. That's a lot different than parts that were produced in quantities of 10,000 or more that happen to have a spelling error. Currently, that part isn't "rare", and it may never become rare enough to have any meaningful value.

The best sellers of this can hope for is to find someone gullible enough to think their asking price is a legitimate measure of the set's actual value. There's at least one person already doing this, trying to sell a BTTF Time Machine for nearly $100 and describing it as a "rare misprint"... based on a characteristic that currently makes it exactly the same as every other BTTF Time Machine set sold to this day! I doubt the person who initially bought this set even cared at the time that it was a misprint — they're just trying to use that fact to mislead people to think the item is rare. In actuality, it's less rare than any LEGO Exo-Force "Exo Code" tile produced in 2007 or Hero Factory "Hero Core" from 2012 (those are, in fact, engraved with variable codes that make each and every one "one-of-a-kind").

I understand the merit of "speculating" on things that you think might appreciate in value. But expecting something to sell for a lot when precedent suggests nothing of the sort is a fool's game.
    caperberry
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited July 2013
    mathew said:

tensor said:

I'm saying that because Minecraft went berserk, anyone who is gobbling it up specifically for resale is taking a big risk, because it's a whole different ballgame now. It's kinda the "don't shoot twice" line from Red Dawn (google it). The first time, nobody was expecting it. Now, everyone has their eyes peeled.

It will be very interesting in six months to see how things will have played out. Will it still be selling out? Will it be commanding big prices in the aftermarket? Will the spelling error make any difference? Stay tuned!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Like Minecraft before the Bttf set created a whole other target-audience! I saw that the set got heavy blogged by sneaker/retro/fashion blogs since it's a nice blend of two childhood-memories,i've seen it a couple of times beeing bought by guys who absolutely don't look like they are into lego at all but are kinda "retro-fans"! Of course a lot of copies will be sold to resellers but don't underestimate those "blog-readers"! They are pretty quick too ;)
    TheLoneTensor
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2013
    Aanchir, you are confusing misprint and misspelling.. This isn't a piece that got printed on the wrong side, or is printed crooked, it is a misspelled word... Not to mention the misspelling is also on the box which is actually more significant than the actual piece.. Lego has a misspelled word on a product that is made for children, not to mention that it is also a licensed product... The ONLY way this initial run of sets will not increase in value is if Lego continues to make this set with the same spelling error both on the piece and on the box...

In a year from now after there are another 20, 30, maybe 40,000 of these released, I can guarantee the misspelled set will be worth more money than the run of fixed sets that follow it...
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    ^ It's also on the most iconic piece in the set (in my opinion).
    edited July 2013
    pillpod said:

^ It's also on the most iconic piece in the set (in my opinion).

I cannot argue that... You are right...
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Does anyone know when they put these on sale on Lego.com? Midnight? Morning?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    I find it odd that my cable company has all the Back to the Future movies on demand. Also, this year alone, I have seen the Delorean on several TV shows like Pawn Stars. Is this a coincidence?
    edited July 2013

Does anyone know when they put these on sale on Lego.com? Midnight? Morning?

I am pretty sure that the Haunted House went on sale at 9 a.m. E.S.T.

Aanchir, you are confusing misprint and misspelling.. This isn't a piece that got printed on the wrong side, or is printed crooked, it is a misspelled word... Not to mention the misspelling is also on the box which is actually more significant than the actual piece.. Lego has a misspelled word on a product that is made for children, not to mention that it is also a licensed product... The ONLY way this initial run of sets will not increase in value is if Lego continues to make this set with the same spelling error both on the piece and on the box...

In a year from now after there are another 20, 30, maybe 40,000 of these released, I can guarantee the misspelled set will be worth more money than the run of fixed sets that follow it...

Maybe worth more money, maybe not. It really depends on how much collectors actually care. I doubt it will inflate too much in the grand scheme of things because there are very, very few collectors who are going to be competing for this product. It's not like a misprint trading card where obtaining it in the first place might be a challenge — the entire first production run of this set has this same misprint, and who knows how long it'll be before it is fixed?

All in all it just seems like an immensely risky thing to speculate on. There have been plenty of LEGO pieces, LEGO instructions, and LEGO stickers that have included typos in the past, and they've never caused the sets in question to appreciate in value much more than they would have on their own. LEGO would typically just print up a new sticker or an errata sheet, if not just leave things as-is, and the typo would eventually be forgotten. Example: The word "turoblaser" instead of "turbolaser" on the Super Star Destroyer's info sheet on the box photo. I haven't seen any "misprint" copies of that set selling for hugely-inflated prices online, even though some people assumed at the time that they would. Have you seen examples of the "misprint" set selling for prices higher than a typical UCS set?

Plus, as far as I can tell, a vast majority of LEGO buyers online are not buying old sets for resale value or historical significance or anything of that sort. They're buying the set for the contents, whether as toys or as display pieces or as parts packs. And in that case, that's a huge audience for which a misprint will be nothing more than a useless inaccuracy, and will not in any way make the set or the piece considerably more desirable.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Can someone tell me when the release date was suppose to happen in [email protected]? I am in Canada so that may be different from the USA.
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    One more day...

Whoa. This is heavy.
    back on topic, the manchester LDC had dozens of bttf sets today, displayed in a case with the tlr train, accident?
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    edited July 2013
    @Paperballpark & @caperberry

Whoa, whoa, whoa no need to be inelegant. No worries, #21103 comes out tomorrow, mates.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,659
    edited July 2013
    ^ I do not think so, I watched BTTF III 2 nights ago and the obvious MOC was talking...
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Is this only going to be on [email protected] and in BM stores initially? I seem to recall a third party site also had Minecraft for sale initially.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367

back on topic, the manchester LDC had dozens of bttf sets today, displayed in a case with the tlr train, accident?

Pretty sure that will come up a few times. Case in point.

• bitsathisbitsathis Member Posts: 140
    Glasgow [email protected] store had at least 50 of these in the store. They were selling well though i counted 7 customers with at least 1 in their hands, all different ages and types of people. Everyone ignoring the shelf of #41999 which was already available to buy!
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 618
    I showed up the Houston Galleria on Saturday, and they told me they already sold out. A new shipment would come in Monday. Sure enough, around 4 PM, I was back in, and they had at least four on that shelf by the Kingdoms Joust and Chess set. It was almost like they were hiding it. I snagged one, but I imagine I will get another one because mine is clearly of the misprint batch!
    BTW, they missed a chance to put actual train wheels on the BTTF III version so it could ride on the rails with the TLR train.

Just saying...
    MorkMan
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Up for purchase on the aussie site. Looks like it will be limit 5 per household :)
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    not paying $70 for the damn thing
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    It will be interesting to see how long they last on the UK site.
  • jay359jay359 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2013
    Ordered mine about 1/2 hour ago.

Hoping they process orders in the order they're placed this time and they might have a chance of being here in time for my son's birthday later this month :)
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693

BTW, they missed a chance to put actual train wheels on the BTTF III version so it could ride on the rails with the TLR train.

Just saying...

The wheels used on the set do ride on LEGO rails (assuming the correct spacing on the model) by removing the rubber.
    Isn't the model too wide to run on the tracks..?
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    edited August 2013
    LIVE right now. If you order in the next 20 minutes, you'll also get the Hot dog stand included :) (if you hit the 75 threshold)
    Got 2 crawlers and 2 BTTF sets. The site seems to be experiencing some technical issues now...
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    Yea...I couldn't use my reward points, nor did I get the VIP points. Guess I can get those applied after the fact.
  • truktruk Member Posts: 46
    Same here. No points or promo item despite hitting $75 for free shipping. Do we even know if there is an August promo item?