Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display your assembled LEGO sets?

Comments

• legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755

Hello, this is a cabinet i built for my living room using various IKEA parts, let me know what you all think.

This looks great! And the doors should keep most of the dust out, which seems to be the biggest problem with storing and displaying sets and builds AFTER figuring where to place them.

We have had IKEA kitchen and utility room cabinets with glass doors for 14 years and like them a lot...but when they arrived in 51 boxes with 175,000 or so screws, hubby almost had a heart attack! He designed and built our entire kitchen. It is great how IKEA has built stores all over allowing more folks to see their stuff in person....that makes it much easier to pick the cabinets and accessories you like.

Thanks for sharing this and the IKEA item numbers!

• NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    Here is my Lego room, used for building and displaying. I did max out on space a few years ago, so I try to rotate every once in a while. Other sets, like architecture and modular have crept into the family room, as my wife says they are more 'presentable.' Some sets are kept in the closets (behind mirror doors) and the bulk are in the garage.

Please excuse my attempt at the panorama photo option. I just couldn't capture the room with a traditional shot. These are from the same side of the room, just over about 6 feet.
    AdzbadboyGoldfreekBrickDancerYellowcastlejasorThanos75margotObiWanKenobiGalactus
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^^ holy smokes... That's a spectacular collection. I showed your pics to my wife and said "See... It could be much worse"
    YellowcastlejasorFollowsCloselybobabricks
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,233
    ^ To be honest, I do that with my boyfriend too, with just about every photo in this thread :D Then I go buy more LEGO...
    bobabrickscatwrangler
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    ^^ I used to tell myself that too. I think the time has come to start separating myself from some of my unused collection.

One more picture that I forgot to attach previously...
    Galactus
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    Wow! @Nelly

Those LOTR mocs are incredible! I love how your sets show action scenes too. I can't stand seeing a set just sitting on a shelf. I wanna see a minifig doing something, dagnabbit!
  • nbaisfantasticalnbaisfantastical Member Posts: 8
    I posted this elsewhere, but looks like it belongs here.

Lots of good stuff in this post so I figured I'd weigh in on how I just set up my display of built sets. I used Detolf display cabinets from Ikea ($65/ea.). Lots of info online about modifying these shelves (combining 2 cabinets, adding shelves, etc.) I modified mine to combine 2 cabinets so larger sets (i.e. Star Destroyer) can span 2 units. There are 5 cabinets in total--the one on the far right is an unmodified stand-alone and the others are each 2 sets combined. This takes a little bit of work as you need to cut each piece of wood so the cabinets are closer together and thus eliminating the gap between the 2 display cabinets.

The overall display is unfinished as I'm still working out which sets to display (and how to display them) on a couple shelves but I wanted to share a method for displaying behind glass without as noticeable an obstruction from doors or open shelves, as dust must be a big issue (although likely much cheaper).
    margotJudgeChuck
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Nelly said:

^^ I used to tell myself that too. I think the time has come to start separating myself from some of my unused collection.

One more picture that I forgot to attach previously...

Look at all those BURPs!!! wowsers.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    ^ Death to the BRUPs!! Hate those things, but in that setup it looks pretty good.

• KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 119
    Here's a look at my LEGO room:

• Nogbad_The_BadNogbad_The_Bad Member Posts: 4
    The Ikea Expidit line is a system of units with cubed shelves. They have seperate boxes that slide into the cubes with one option having a glass door and removable glass shelf. They're approximately 12 inches a side which means the large models cannot be housed in them (R2-D2 fit just right!). Ikea also sell LCD strips that illuminate the box. It looks very impressive! And best of all NO DUSTING!!! :)
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    I'm trying to find clear custom display cases for my SW UCS sets. Has anyone here found a place online to purchase them for a good deal?

Thanks for the help.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    Try these guys if you are in the US. I have purchased the display cases for Disney and Hot-wheels cars, but they also do custom.

http://carneyplastics.com/
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2014
    Not that I have purchased any display cases but I know that they are generally expensive.

It may be worth looking at some of the Chinese wholesale websites.

For example:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=acrylic+box

Not sure if they would have what you are after exactly, but they do have smaller cases. You often also have to buy in bulk but this still can work out cheaper. I'm not sure what the quality would be like but at lest they would keep the dust of.

These types of sites are also good for cheap LED strip lights which look great in large display shelves and cabinets.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Display?!?!? Why would anyone 'display' their sets?
    I lay them out carefully so that we can 'play' with them!!!!!!
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 326

Display?!?!? Why would anyone 'display' their sets?
    I lay them out carefully so that we can 'play' with them!!!!!!

Mostly to keep the dust off.
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 326

I'm trying to find clear custom display cases for my SW UCS sets. Has anyone here found a place online to purchase them for a good deal?

Thanks for the help.

I get mine from Michaels in the US. I don't know if they have them big enough for a UCS set though.

I use the ones that are made for full size football helmets.

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    edited January 2014
    Our sets are displayed in various ways, on a city layout, on open shelves and in cabinets.
    vitreolumBumblepantsspacechienrocaochuckpJeffHObiWanKenobiGalactus
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,947
    ^is that a new display area under construction in the 2nd photo?
    legopodo
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    What an inspirational thread :), I have to admit I am a little bit jealous of so many of you, with amazing rooms devoted to Lego. I have only been collecting for around 6 months now so my collection (SW) is tiny in comparision and due to hopefully moving house soon is all packed away in boxes. I hope to re-visit this thread when I have a proper display set up.
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    Anyone know where I could find stickers online that would say Series 1, 2, etc.? I'm working on making a display for all of my CMF.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    edited January 2014
    I use a label maker for my CMFs labels @BazookaJoeX9
    @Bumblepants Sorry to take so long to reply - yes, that photo was taken when the seaport was just starting. We use particle board, cut out the water portion, put plexiglass on from underneath, use plaster impregnated cheesecloth to make the 'banks' of the waterway, paint with a stain blocker (white surface you see) then paint appropriately for water, dirt, etc. will post a picture of it completed.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 266
    I usually just put them together and put them on the shelf with my diecast and other things. But sets that aren't Technic usually don't last too long until I redo it, but I've had MOCs that lasted over a year on my shelf.
    @Bumblepants, Okay, just took pics, excuse the mess in the background. The second photo is in the other shop and shows the recent Lone Ranger sets, the old Fort Legoredo, the sheriff's office from Toy Story, and some mocs to turn it into a movie set.
    Sorry about the sideways pic.
    Bumblepantschuckp
  • FiredoggFiredogg Member Posts: 9
    Due to having a teeny tiny 2 bedroom unit, I can only display about 5% of my collection. It's a 7ft high glass shelved display cabinet with glass doors. I've had my models on open shelves before and the dust is a nightmare. This display cabinet did cost a small fortune, but the lack of dusting is worth it. It may not be the biggest or prettiest display, but at least I can admire some of my collection.
    TechnicNickMorkManBrickarmorGothamConstructionCocatwrangler
    @Firedogg - tell me more about the school bus on the lower right - MOC? Set #? I love it!
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    Ikea Detolf have been mentioned here before and that's what I prefer for items I do not intend to play with or don't want my kids to touch...sorry kids. I am looking for acrylic steps to display more figures as a lot of space is wasted if you only display small sets or mini figures on a shelf.

• FiredoggFiredogg Member Posts: 9

@Firedogg - tell me more about the school bus on the lower right - MOC? Set #? I love it!

It's an 8-wide MOC I purchased from a builder in the USA on Ebay several years ago. It's actually modelled on the school bus that the Joker used in The Dark Knight movie. I normally don't collect 8-wide models, but made an exception for this one because it was so well done. I believe the builder may have embellished the design from Brick Journal #12 (Nov 2010). It did cost me a pretty penny but I don't regret it.
    Will get some close up photos in the next few days.

Also, I only realised when posting the previous photo of my display cabinet that it was over a year old. I have made a few changes since then. Added another shelf and a heap new models. It is starting to look a little cramped, but because it's my only Lego display, I can live with it.

And the reason for the gap on the top shelf? I'm trying to find time to build one or both of the new 4x4 crawlers to complete the fourby collection.

In the meantime, heres the latest photo of the display cabinet.

Oh, and great to see everyone else's displays. Thanks guys (and girls).

^Very nice display!
    TXLegoguy
  • SanddoodleSanddoodle Member Posts: 13
    Instead of custom cabinets, we went up the wall with pegboard and hooks. This way you can add pieces, and rearrange as needed. We call it a "Legorama" type display. We also added a 3 x 8 tabletop to the storage cabinets below the Legorama, for trains.

See our new web site http://www.elderplay.weebly.com/ for details and photos. Also some storage and sorting ideas. Our theory is more display = less storage needed.
    klatu003JELJ1S
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Interesting concept. I dont like the background, white would look better me thinks.
  • SanddoodleSanddoodle Member Posts: 13
    Tried that. White looked very... "Le Pegboard."
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    I really like the slatwall stuff that someone earlier in the thread used. Adjustable shelving and a nice clean look.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz is the TV where Lord Business commands all of the citizens of your city? ;P
    Galactus
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 187
    I am hoping to begin a project this week. I am after 4 large wooden box cabinets to store some of my UCS lego sets. Ikea doesn't build them big enough! I am talking about a Slave One, AT ST, Tumbler, Bat Pod and X Wing.... all very big sets with awkward dimensions. At the minute all my sets are sprawled under my TV so I need a DIY solution. here is my ideas below 

kiki180703tallblocktooGalactus
    Bottom box for The Slave One 500mm x 450mm
    Second box split in the middle Bottom shelf Tumbler, bottom shelf Bat Pod 500mm x 400mm
    Middle box - X Wing 500mm x 300mm 
    Top Box - AT ST 500mm x 450mm
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,040
    ^ Another idea would be to put glass in front of the boxes to help prevent dust going onto your UCS ships. Btw, nice project!
  • Lego_Nerd98Lego_Nerd98 Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 235
    I put them all together in one big setup on the floor. The best part is when I set up a spaceship attacking a castle, or Bionicles clashing with my Star Wars sets. xD
    I have zero hours when it comes to wood working! not a problem when it comes to drafting the idea out! I cant wait to get stuck in and try create what I have in my brain! I love your idea @kiki180703 but that is going into custom glass making and would rocket the price of the boxes! Im even finding it hard to find cheap custom made glass to half one of the boxes.... what I will do however is link up some battery white LED's inside to make the lego pop at night! 
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,040
    ^ Or you could use acrylic glass (it's plastic) and it would probably be cheaper. ;)
  • sir_Bricksalotsir_Bricksalot UKMember Posts: 110
    Hey all - sorry if this has already been answered and I've missed it.  
    Aimed at people in the UK but does anyone have any tips on display cases/shelving for larger sets and where to get them?
    Looking to get something that I can put my Orthanc, Tumbler and some UCS SW sets in (only the smaller ones mind - not SSD, DS or anything else impractical :)).

Am i right in thinking that IKEAS's standard billy would be too small?  Any advice would be great.  So far everythings just randomly (well looks random but i spent quite a bit of time on the placement) on the floor.  Looking for something a bit more elegant (otherwise I'm contemplating some custom shelves in the alcove).  

Thanks!
    My lego project is slowly coming together, bottom box is for my Slave One and AT ST, middle box will have a perspex shelf with Tumbler on the bottom and Batpod on top. Then finally the XWing on top. Will post finally pictures in a day or 2.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,187
    Looks excellent!

(I would definitely but a piece of glass on the front, but I have an intense hatred of dust.)
    ARo2891
    Thanks @SumoLego unfortunately I didn't quite make the Xwing box deep enough to be able to close it with a glass face! That thing is damn long! 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,187
    @steveomcl - Ah.  I see it now.  Nonetheless, that is a nice setup.

@JELJ1S - Cloud Cuckoo Land?  I have to say we share similar tastes.  
  • JELJ1SJELJ1S Member Posts: 94
    @sumolego Yeah that was a gift from my wfie and daughter.  Cute little set with some good minifigs.  My son is 20 months old and asks to watch the Lego Movie daily so having this set out lets him play with Emmet and Lucy so that good!
    SumoLego