Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Even Lego are pumping the royal baby for more sales now!

KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 963
I just got and email 'A Royal reason to celebrate!‏' from TLG encouraging me to buy some British themed Lego saying;

The Royal Baby has arrived!
Celebrate the new addition to the Royal
Family with all things British and Baby!

I have had emails from most of the major retailers with some sort of royal baby promo, but now even Lego have got on the bandwagon. Its not the end of the world, but it is a bit disappointing that they have decided to try and make a quick buck off the back of this.

What do the rest of you think, should TLG be getting involved in all this? Is it a bit too political given the growth of the Republican movement in the UK?
LostInTranslation

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    I got that too (mentioned it in the Status thread).
    I'm not a Republican, not a Royalist either, just not really bothered either way. Though I am glued to BBC news waiting for the "steps" picture.

It is a bit disappointing though I find it hilarious that someone in Lego's marketing team thought that the birth of the baby might induce someone to splash out £200 on TB!!!

Oooh, emergence is imminent!!
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    We were just discussing this on the "What's your Lego status" thread. Maybe Lego is thinking about making a minifig of a baby wearing a tiny, little crown for series 12.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,389
    I honestly think it's meant more for the American market rather than buyers in the UK.
    ^I'm in the US. I just checked my email and I don't have any Lego royal birth mail. I think it was aimed at and received by people in the UK.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226

I got that too (mentioned it in the Status thread).
    I'm not a Republican, not a Royalist either, just not really bothered either way. Though I am glued to BBC news waiting for the "steps" picture.

Steps are reforming? Again?
    LegoMom1 said:

Maybe Lego is thinking about making a minifig of a baby wearing a tiny, little crown for series 12.

Unfortunately they've already made a royal baby; this fat swaddled beast appeared on their Facebook page:

In other royal propagation news, the Daily Mail have included @MinifigsMe in an article about 'tacky' souvenirs, describing Nick and Caz as 'experts' - I don't know which is worse to be called by the Daily Mail, tacky or expert.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2374864/Tacky-knitted-Royal-baby-Princes-potty-throne-sale-Kate-Middleton-gives-birth-boy.html

plasmodiumkezLostInTranslationMinifigsMe
    Ugh, that babyfig by TLG is awful. Experts Caz & Nick have done a much better job!
    MinifigsMe
    I think all LEGO babies should now be made this way. Here's mine;

trickydicky0880murphquakeLostInTranslation
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,263
    @caperberry - I think just getting a mention in the Daily Mail is bad enough (although I am sure it won't have been bad for business).
    edited July 2013
    ^^ Fugly.
    kez
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited July 2013
    Whichever is it, looking at the size of the head, that would have been a difficult birth.
    caperberryAdzbadboyLostInTranslation
    @LostInTranslation I think you owe @CapnRex101 an apology.
    Ah! Damn you, edit function!
    LostInTranslation
    Hehe :-P
    ^All babies have disproportionately large heads. Why should a Lego baby be any different?
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    Wait what kind of promos are they trying to sell specifically?
    No promos or deals. The text is exactly what KingDave posted and the email just has pics/links to #10558, #10214 and #21013.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284

In other royal propagation news, the Daily Mail have included @MinifigsMe in an article about 'tacky' souvenirs, describing Nick and Caz as 'experts' - I don't know which is worse to be called by the Daily Mail, tacky or expert.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2374864/Tacky-knitted-Royal-baby-Princes-potty-throne-sale-Kate-Middleton-gives-birth-boy.html

The website's page design literally hurts my eyes.

Andor
    ^ Try reading some of the articles they write - that'll hurt your brain too.
    Furrysaurusicey117coachieAndor
    edited July 2013
    ^ Feel free to apologise anyway @LostInTranslation, I have only just stopped weeping ;o)

By the way @caperberry, I would love to hear quite why you used a Barriss Offee head, it almost suggests that the baby has a moustache.
    ^ Hmm, ok, I'm sorry. Though for all I know you might be fugly under that helmet.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Y'know what, if this is what it takes for Lego to design and actual baby minifig, then I'm all for it.

I mean, we do have these http://shop.citizenbrick.com/Minifig-Baby-91278.htm but I am a purist.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    They won't based on this baby alone. They have known for six months that this baby was coming so they could have made something better.

I find such advertising fairly shameless. Celebrate X buy buying unrelated products Y and Z? No thanks.

By the way @caperberry, I would love to hear quite why you used a Barriss Offee head, it almost suggests that the baby has a moustache.

Did you not see the news???! The newborn has a tan head, purple lips and a dark tan moustache. I think it's centuries of inbreeding.
    plasmodiumtrickydicky0880LostInTranslation
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    edited July 2013

I honestly think it's meant more for the American market rather than buyers in the UK.

Why would you think that?
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I feel left out. Lol no royal announcement from TLG to me :( Would have loved to seen that email!!
    ^I think it was aimed at and sent to people in the UK. I didn't get it either. But I certainly don't feel slighted. Less crap in my mailbox!
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Yup, I will pass on that announcement, too.
    Americans have always been skeptical of royals; it seems that scummy tv celebrities have replaced the most followed, well known figures here. That ain't much to brag about for sure.
    At least the Brits are celebrating a character without a long criminal record....that sounds okay to me!
    legogal said:

At least the Brits are celebrating a character without a long criminal record....that sounds okay to me!

At least, nothing has been proved (especially against the baby). But there have been allegations, some which seem realistic, others not so - arms dealing, involvement in Diana's death, etc.
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 963
    ^ If they were any other family they would have been done for tax evasion (among a few other things) years ago. They mentioned the Lego baby model on the radio this morning and I have seen several media outlets talking about the over saturation of coverage and #bornEqual today. I think they just want to keep talking about it no matter what and now all they have left to say is 'have we all be talking about this story too much?'.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2013
    jadedanc said:

I feel left out. Lol no royal announcement from TLG to me :( Would have loved to seen that email!!

No need to feel left out, I've forwarded it on to you!
    KingDave said:

What do the rest of you think, should TLG be getting involved in all this? Is it a bit too political given the growth of the Republican movement in the UK?

Whilst not a royalist myself (I do see the benefit of having people notionally in charge that are so filthy rich that they don't need to take bribes and a hereditary system that means to look after their kids future they only need to do a job fairly well) the idea that there is a growing republican movement in the UK seems somewhat unrealistic to me. Compared to the late 80's/90's the core royal family are currently uncomprehendingly popular - the wedding, the jubalympics, the baby. Add in the general dislike (possibly more so than ever before) for politicians which a republic would inevitably require to replace the queen and a republic has probably never been less likely since the queens coronation.

That said, the its a boy discounts I got from bhs and very within an hour or so of the announcement and LEGO and others later just made me feel meh. However, someone somewhere probably needed a discount for something now discounted, so why not. Sadly I didn't get any offers offering me discounts on ice cream makers due to the baby birth. Damn. Had to buy one full price.

I don't really think this is the place for a discussion on the future of the monarchy. Let's keep it LEGO-centric, eh @samiam391? :-)
    Bumblepantssamiam391BrickDancer
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    true enough. Perhaps we could ditch the lot and become a lego-cracy?
    caperberry91stlegotroopertrickydicky0880LostInTranslation
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
    @LostInTranslation- So..... so proud :o)
    LostInTranslation
    Well now he has a name so I presume LEGO will not be able to help themselves but send out e-mails advertising the Life of George set to the purchasing public.
    LostInTranslationKingDavecaperberryAndor

I don't really think this is the place for a discussion on the future of the monarchy. Let's keep it LEGO-centric, eh @samiam391? :-)

Please, just one more comment on the Royals. After all, TLG's action is what prompted this thread.

I feel this new generation of Royals, and the previous one as well, is much more in touch with reality than the Royals of yore. They seem to care about more than just their own lives and they seem like decent people. Let's not trash them on their happy event. After all, this new little baby is not guilty of anything other than having been born into a famous and powerful family. And, is that his fault? He is still just as cute as any other baby born recently. Congrats to all.
    If anyone else had a baby on the same day, B&Q will give them a tin of free paint. Beat that, Lego!
    carlqLostInTranslation

That said, the its a boy discounts I got from bhs and very within an hour or so of the announcement and LEGO and others later just made me feel meh. However, someone somewhere probably needed a discount for something now discounted, so why not.

Had TLG offered discounts on the suggested British themed items (although what's British about the Duplo Number Train is beyond me) I'd might have forgiven them. But this was just dumb.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,226
    I'm down with it. Any excuse to party (especially with Lego!).

I agree with @caperberry, though... do wish there was a discount offered, got my hopes up for nothing, I'm totally coveting those sets!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    Lego-cracy. I've seen that trying to work on a Marketplace thread...brutal ;)

In the US, "pumping" has a different meaning, so I had to smile a bit at the OT.

You guys across the pond got your Olympic Minifigures, so stop complaining :p
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I think the OP could have been going for pimping not pumping.....

I should stop before this gets to Finbarr Saunders.......
    adiemccarlq
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    edited July 2013
    ^Fnarr, fnarr......;-)
    SirKevbagsadiemc
  • ereiamjhereiamjh Member Posts: 182
    edited July 2013
    I'd have had more respect for TLG if they'd used the hairpiece from CMF Grandpa for Wills.

Not the most laboured royal baby bandwagon jump though. My fave was this tweet from Mersey Ferries:

“People around every corner They seem to smile and say We don't care what your name is boy We'll never turn you away” #RoyalBaby

caperberry
    Where is MY love? My last name is Royal. I'm a Royal and I just had a baby 5 months ago :)
    Goldchains
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    But you're not a Prince!!! :)

You need one of those shiny medallions around your neck like Loanstar... :)
    Pitfall69
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317

Ugh, that babyfig by TLG is awful. Experts Caz & Nick have done a much better job!

Agreed, the TLG one is rubbish.

I like the Fisher Price potty with the crown on though - after all Prince George is destined to sit on the throne!
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    CCC said:

If anyone else had a baby on the same day, B&Q will give them a tin of free paint. Beat that, Lego!

You'll probably find it'll only come in Royal Blue.
    LostInTranslation
    Yeah, I'm not an "honest to God Prince" butt I sit on the throne a lot.
    edited July 2013
    ^Again, @Pitfall69- TMI...TMI... :)
    Resurrecting an ancient thread....

saw this online earlier:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/royal-baby-news-kate-middleton-5596297

Manchester LDC are ready to cash in on the imminent arrival.
    Wonder what TLG will try to flog us this time?

Meanwhile @MinifigsMe have developed better babyfigs
    http://minifigs.me/product-category/our-minifigs/babies/
    whilst awaiting their own impending addition :-)
    khmellymelMinifigsMe
    ^ Are they genuine lego parts?

They say "These custom, 360 degree printed babies are made from Lego ‘microfigures’, so are an even more unbelievable feat of mega-printing!"

Yet all my microfigures have recessed studs, not solid studs.