Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset Marketplace: Setting a Price vs Asking for Offers

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^I agree. The gray area is when you know what a used and a sealed set is, but you can't find the value of a set that was opened and all the bags are sealed and all the contents of the box are perfect. Is it somewhere between a used set and a sealed set? Is it 20% less than a sealed set? What is the value?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,235
    edited July 2013
    As we are working on the Vanilla platform, there will be limitations to what we can customize.

@Tensor and @LegoFanTexas, there has been an announced Marketplace Etiquette and Safety thread since August 2012. Please review this discussion and let me know if you still have questions. Thanks.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    tensor said:

If you explicitly think something is improper, and you don't want it to be done, then I would think that explicitly spelling it out in the forum rules would be a solution. I can't imagine it's much fun writing something as a user, then being told it's wrong, and then being confused because it's not in the rules (at all), then wondering what other undocumented things shouldn't be done.

Are you aware that it is spelled out in a marketplace announcement here?: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6410/marketplace-safety-and-etiquette

If you read that you'll see that it's not a hard and fast rule, so perhaps that's why it's not included in the overall rules. It's also the case that the staff prefers to be as hands off of the marketplace as possible (wishful thinking?) so rather than making a rule of it, we prefer it as a matter of etiquette. And finally, there's the distinct possibility that its exclusion is simply an oversight :P
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited July 2013

You mean... like buying too much from [email protected], then being told it isn't allowed, even though it isn't posted on the site anywhere? :)

Not that it does you any good, but they've 'rectified' this, so to speak. Now, when you buy things from [email protected], before you can place your order, you do have to 'sign' an agreement which, among other things, states that you're buying the product solely for personal use.
    edited July 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

With that said; people who aren't sure what the value of their item is request a valuation of their item in the Buying and Selling area.

Not having a lot of historical sales data and wanting to settle on a fair price via PM is not necessarily the same thing as having no idea of the value and asking the public to weigh in.

There's a recent marketplace thread that comes to mind where the seller had a rare item and a good idea of the valuation and stated as much, but some people still commented on it, including someone who didn't even understand what the item was. That's pretty distracting to the sale.
    ^I understand that. I was just saying that if someone wants to get an idea of the value of something, they can post a "request valuation" before posting that item in the Marketplace.

Oh, I know exactly what thread you are talking about ;)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

As we are working on the Vanilla platform, there will be limitations to what we can customize.

@Tensor and @LegoFanTexas, there has been an announced Marketplace Etiquette and Safety thread since August 2012. Please review this discussion and let me know if you still have questions. Thanks.

My bad for not knowing that existed, but then again, I never expanded the marketplace forum before, instead just reading it from the front page. Thank you for letting me know.

Anyway, a load of comments in that thread, and here reflect my viewpoint already, so I don't have much more to add other than I think the marketplace would thrive a bit more if speech were no so squelched. Of course, this isn't a site designed to sell things, so it is what it is.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    ^ IIRC there were a few Marketplace threads that turned ugly as soon as price discussions took place on thread. Some people took any comments on pricing very personally.

On the other hand, I personally would rather have some discussions on my Marketplace thread to keep it above other threads. After several OP initiated bumps, any Marketplace thread just looks "unappetizing" to me. Even bad publicity is better than no publicity ;)
    TheLoneTensor
    ^I think people getting offended when others offer less than than what the seller is asking happens a lot. Whether it is a pawn broker or someone at a garage sale. It happens in all forms of transactions. Sellers get too attached to their items and consider it an insult. If they are that attached and get that offended, maybe they shouldn't be selling it.
    TheLoneTensor
    I believe the instances that dragonhawk is referencing weren't a matter of lowball offers. There were posts critiquing the price or suggesting alternate places to buy the item from people that had no interest in buying what was offered. There were also instances where other sellers hijacked the thread and offered the same item at a lower price, rather than create their own thread.
    Yellowcastle
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    As a close community is it not reasonable to post a link to the same item available cheaper elsewhere? I'd expect to be paying the best price anywhere (if not better) and would be a bit miffed if someone was charging more on here. You could argue that a buyer should do their own research but then again a bit of support for newcomers of the hobby wouldn't go a miss.

If someone mentioned an offer on a website no one would think twice about linking to a cheaper offer elsewhere.

I do think thread hijacking is a little unfair though.
    Coolsplash
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,235
    Does eBay allow commentary on listings?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,911
    No but eBay is not exactly a community either, and they are paid for adverts.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong.

I guess the correct procedure here if someone lists something at a high price is to post a link to the cheaper item in the shopping threads, at least if it is from a major retailer. Or just let someone pay over the odds.

A prospective buyer can always start their own thread asking if the price they are considering paying for a particular item is fair. That way they are not commenting on the market place thread.
  • Brinstar85Brinstar85 Member Posts: 42
    I actually think it is right that comments on seller's prices are discouraged. I accept the argument that it can help people to find the best deal, but it's far too easy for threads to degenerate into slanging matches which leads to ill-feeling within the community.

It is worth noting that in the relatively short time I've been on these forums I've seen a number of occasions where sets were listed at what might be described as optimistic prices. More often than not, the items in question appear to have gone unsold. Perhaps this is the best way for a seller to learn that their item is overpriced.
    My feeling is if the price is too high, don't buy and move along...move along.
    GothamConstructionCo
    edited July 2013

No, but there appears to be a public question/answer dialog box near the bottom of every listing, which I would imagine it to serve the same purpose as people asking questions about the listings within the forum Marketplace.

^^ I had no ulterior motives, just curious. If I have a set that I'm willing to sell for $x here, I would like to think I can offer it at that price without being hassled.
    Pitfall69
    edited July 2013
    Gavin83 said:

I'd expect to be paying the best price anywhere (if not better) and would be a bit miffed if someone was charging more on here.

No, I don't think you should "expect" to pay the best price simply because it's offered here. Likewise, I don't think anyone expects the same to be true for any single marketplace -- Bricklink, eBay, Amazon, craigslist, etc. It's by checking all of them that one is reasonably assured.

For something like a current MISB set, it's relatively easy to find the lowest price and reference that. But the vast majority of things offered here aren't that cut and dry. If the set is used and/or retired, or if the sale encompasses multiple items, finding a similar listing to compare the price is harder, and disagreements about those details have previously caused problems.

Do people think that extortionate pricing is a substantial issue here? At worst, there are a couple sellers who I find are on the high end of pricing, and I simply ignore their postings now. But it isn't so disparate that I felt there is a need to intervene.
    CCC said:

I guess the correct procedure here if someone lists something at a high price is to post a link to the cheaper item in the shopping threads, at least if it is from a major retailer. Or just let someone pay over the odds.

A prospective buyer can always start their own thread asking if the price they are considering paying for a particular item is fair. That way they are not commenting on the market place thread.

If some people were to champion themselves as deal finders, and wanted to start an advice thread where, when queried, they sought out the lowest price of an item, I'd be fine with it.
    YellowcastleCoolsplash
    ^ "ASK DARTH"
    sidersdd
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    edited July 2013
    This thread really has deviated from my original post. I am not sure who manages the forum, however it would be good to have some kind of official response on whether guidelines that state prices should be added.

Just from the responses in this thread, it's clear that displaying prices would stimulate sales. I am yet to see a genuinely good reason for not displaying prices that actually benefits anyone. If sellers want to charge high prices, that's their prerogative, but how does not displaying them help anyone?

Preventing users from commenting on high prices does seem unfair as it limits both a free market and free speech. I am opposed to flaming, but pointing out that a product is cheaper elsewhere seems reasonable and again should stimulate sales by encouraging sellers to offer more competitive prices.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Personally I think as long as the seller clearly states what the product is and the condition etc. then they can ask whatever they want and no one should comment on the asking price, the chances that someone who is a member of this forum would pay a ridiculous asking prices is basically zero, and even if someone did then that’s on them for not knowing the market.

Where it starts to warrant comments or a flag is if the seller is bending the truth or misrepresenting the product, basically trying to con people.

As far as listing an asking price, I think it should be up to the seller to decide. I have seen some listings turn a little nasty when a price has been added so I understand why some people would choose not to.

The other thing mentioned was about some people not wanting or liking to "haggle" and they site major retailers (who list prices) as reasons why those selling in the marketplace should. I personally don’t think this is a fair comparison as the products been sold hear are often EOL, Used and/or collectable.

If you go into a store selling similar types of items, antiques store for example, it is almost expected that you will haggle wether a price is listed or not, and then there is flea markets\Car Boot sale\garage sales etc. which are a better comparison with what I think the Brick set Market place is like. You always negotiate a price there and a lot of the time prices are not listed.

Lastly I will agree that if you list your price you will most likely get more interested than if you do not, but it should still be up to the seller to decide if they list the price of not.
    Coolsplash
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    augen said:

I am yet to see a genuinely good reason for not displaying prices that actually benefits anyone.

I think a very valid reason is that a seller wants to get the most money possible. If I list an item for $250 but someone out there is willing to offer $275, I've just lost out on $25. Maybe if I didn't list a price, that person would've offered me $260 or $275...who knows. Setting a hard price on an item that doesn't have a set value or price will limit your sales.

Also, if a buyer isn't willing to make an offer on an unpriced item, that's fine with me. They obviously aren't interested enough in the item. If I was interested in paying for a Green Grocer on this site and someone had an unpriced one for sale, you bet I'll take 30 seconds of my time to ask the seller how much it costs and/or make an offer on it.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Don't most people ask how much a item is first before making a offer. When the price is not mention I normally ask for a price opposed to making a offer. I would think that is how most people do it. If they posted a price wouldn't that save some time.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    edited July 2013
    ^^ you are the seller. You want to sell something. If ten people see your ad, do the research, say 20 minutes each, then make you an offer and you accept one, then you've wasted three hours of people's time when you could have taken 20 minutes to research a sell price and list it, which is ok since YOU are the one who wants the money.

There's the difference.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,296
    edited July 2013
    I don't mind if sellers ask for offers, but I tend to ignore them. I'm a student on a budget; what I can afford to pay is what I can pay, and no amount of research is going to change that. Therefore, to avoid potentially hurting someone's feelings, wasting their time, or getting flamed, taking a pass on those ads is simply easier. If a seller states a price on their item, I can decide if I can afford it, or am at least in the ballpark.

No. However this isn't an auction site. Similarly if someone posted a link to a cheaper set on the Amazon thread for example would you have a problem with that?

To be honest it's a hard decision to make as someone somewhere on the line is being disadvantaged. A loose community decided system (which seems to be in place at the moment) might be the best way.
    pillpod said:

I think a very valid reason is that a seller wants to get the most money possible. If I list an item for $250 but someone out there is willing to offer $275, I've just lost out on $25. Maybe if I didn't list a price, that person would've offered me $260 or $275...who knows. Setting a hard price on an item that doesn't have a set value or price will limit your sales.

Similarly someone might be willing to pay $275 but move on from your listing because of the lack of set price. Honestly the best way of maximising profit is probably to set your prices high and then reduce them over time to the point someone is willing to bite. It seems to be the stance Lego and the majority of actual retailers take.
    @augen - There is no Forum rule requiring a sell price to be listed in a marketplace thread. As with any proposed change, we are more than willing to hear arguments for/against.
    augen said:

Just from the responses in this thread, it's clear that displaying prices would stimulate sales.

By my count, the tally of people that have weighed in with their opinion is:
    Demand a price listed: 6
    Don't demand, but ignore posts without prices: 4
    Don't demand a price: 8

If a listed price became a rule, those that currently ignore will be included, but sellers not wishing to state a price might not post. So the stimulated sales is not as clear to me as it is to you.

The effect of the rule then would be to force everyone to conform to a standard (posting price) in order to eliminate a behavior that people were engaging in voluntarily (ignoring posts). That doesn't make much sense to me.

If you don't like sales with no stated price, move along. If you are interested enough in the item to inquire, you are voluntarily expending effort because you deem it is worth it so it isn't wasted.
    Pitfall69YellowcastleLegopantspiratemania7
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    @gavin83: I agree. I was just trying to state a case for not listing a price. Chances are if you lost a price, a buyer is always going to try to lower that price. By starting at a high price, you can work down to what you actually had in mind.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    rocao said:

If a listed price became a rule, those that currently ignore will be included, but sellers not wishing to state a price might not post. So the stimulated sales is not as clear to me as it is to you.

The flaw in that thinking is that you're assuming that those who currently list without a price would refuse to list with one, if it became a rule.

I would be interested to hear from people who currently list asking for offers who would completely refuse to list anything for sale if prices were required.

Likewise, are there buyers who ignore listings with prices, but follow up on listings without prices only? Would buyers refuse to buy if prices were required?
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I'm struggling to see an issue here. Do we really need any heavy regulation? Whenever something is listed for sale then the seller has a price in mind they want to achieve. Some like it all in public. Others prefer a private negotiation.

This isn't a sales platform and I doubt Huw and the gang want to spend time policing Marketplace threads to make sure they conform to a listing criteria.
    LostInTranslationBastasidersddYellowcastleLegopantsJosephdragonhawk
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I listed a price for my spare CMFs within the UK. I didn't for my polybags. I did this because, due to their promotional nature and regional availability, polybags are more likely to be traded/sold overseas and I want to give people a price in their own currency and not clutter up the thread with prices in Pounds, Euros and dollars. Also, generally speaking, people don't just want to buy one poly, they want several to save on postage. And if they send me a message asking me for a price I like to have a bit of wiggle room to do a deal on a multibuy. I research my prices on Bricklink and eBay. Some people ask for a quote and don't get back to me, whether they think it's too high or whatever, that's fine. I've still made more sales than I expected to, to be honest. So clearly not all buyers are put off by this.

If there were a rule that I had to include prices, I don't know if I'd stop selling. I do think it would lead to more marketplace editorials because even though it is not permitted there are some people who are just incapable of stopping themselves.

Oh, and also, a common misconception among some members seems to be that, because a few vocal members give their opinions on something, this represents a consensus, when in fact there are most likely lots of people who disagree but don't verbalize this because there has unfortunately been instances of pack behaviour where a dissenting voice has been turned upon quite viciously.

Anyway, that is my opinion. No doubt many of you will tell me why I'm wrong.
    LegoFanTexasCoolsplashLegopantsYellowcastleSirKevbagsJoseph
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    You're wrong because the answer is 42.
    :-D
    LostInTranslationLegoFanTexasYellowcastleJosephy2josh
    edited July 2013
    rocao said:

Do people think that extortionate pricing is a substantial issue here? At worst, there are a couple sellers who I find are on the high end of pricing, and I simply ignore their postings now. But it isn't so disparate that I felt there is a need to intervene.

I don't think it is. Although there are often things priced higher than bricklink prices, for example, the seller often reduces them when no offers to buy at that price are made. Which suggests that buyers regulate the market.

For common items, I see no reason not to include prices - if they are commonly available elsewhere then you might as well price it rather than leave it as a guessing game. Where an item is sold maybe only once or twice on BL per six months, then seller should do what he likes.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Anyway, that is my opinion. No doubt many of you will tell me why I'm wrong.

You're not wrong... you stated your opinion, that can never be wrong, unless you're arguing with yourself. ;)

Nothing wrong with various points of view, it should stay friendly here.

And yes, I do agree that sometimes the "group think" goes too far, it is worth keeping in mind. :)
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I think being part of a Forum/group, it should become easier for anyone to offload items they do not need, whether its a Trade or Resell. If the seller has not put up prices there is nothing bad in making offers, at least it shows the interest is there.

We should also ask why someone would like to post up threads on here to trying to sell their items when they can easily use Ebay and Bricklink. My answer would be Forum/Group first then other means to offload the items, and all about staying friendly :)

Furrysaurus
    @racao I proposed guidelines, not rules. I am not aware of one other marketplace where Lego can be sold and the price not stated, so I doubt very much sellers will stop selling here. In fact, any seller in the UK not stating a price is breaking the law here. Strangely enough, that law is in place to protect buyers.

@YellowCastle I suggested guidelines to encourage good practice, not rules. The "rules" or lack thereof, are very much in the favour of the seller. Why don't you organise a poll to see what the forums users prefer. This is a community after all. I find it strange that a practice, which is not possible in just about any other marketplace, is acceptable here - somewhere which exists for the benefit of AFOL's.

Even if there was a rule that stated that prices must be displayed, sellers would still sell here as where better to sell than to a market looking to buy Lego. If the seller truly believes that they may get more by asking for offers, why don't they just increase their prices and see if anyone buys them. If they want to offer room to negotiate, they can simply say that.

If I start a post about a specific seller and point out that they are selling at high prices, is that acceptable? I am not talking about flaming, just pointing out facts.

augen said:

In fact, any seller in the UK not stating a price is breaking the law here. Strangely enough, that law is in place to protect buyers.

That is not quite true since this is not a store. It is closer to a bootsale, where prices do not have to be displayed.
    augen said:

If I start a post about a specific seller and point out that they are selling at high prices, is that acceptable? I am not talking about flaming, just pointing out facts.

Why not just post shopping threads where you can get the same items for the cheaper price.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,362
    CCC said:

augen said:

In fact, any seller in the UK not stating a price is breaking the law here. Strangely enough, that law is in place to protect buyers.

That is not quite true since this is not a store. It is closer to a bootsale, where prices do not have to be displayed.
    Bootsale, as in regular (UK) traders who don't declare to HMRC ?! Plenty of those at my local car booters
    CCC said:

What's the difference? Both are essentially avenues to sell items.

In the UK at least a personal seller selling used items has very few laws surrounding it, except it has to be as described. However in many ways a personal seller selling a few new sealed sets in law terms is very similar to proper business stores. They are covered by most (if not all) the same laws, have to offer the same level of guarantee on their items and have to pay tax. I don't know about the law of displaying prices but it may well apply to any new items being sold.

Essentially from a legal standpoint anyone selling used items is like a bootsale, anyone selling new sealed sets is like a store.

CCC said:

augen said:

I do not think that it's a question of where you sell an item, it's a question of whether you are classed as a trader i.e. someone who buys items to resell or sells items regularly.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Be careful what you wish for. If the Marketplace becomes to much of an arse, especially with legal discussion at what point does it become less hassle to just not allow any selling here?
    LegopantsCCC
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    I have to agree, too much of a big deal is being made out of this than is really necessary. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that sales/trades on the forum for the most part were doing fine, obviously there have been some very low points with members being ripped off, so why over complicate things?

Every sale/trade is different and every buyer and sellers needs are different. Price is sometimes not the only governing factor in a transaction. If a member wants offers let them, if they want a fixed price, fine, let them, it should be your choice. High prices are quickly recognized and there is no need to point the finger unless what is being advertised is misleading.

While I disagree with hassling new members whose first posts are sales related, as this may be their way of introducing themselves on such a close forum. I do however feel we should jump on new members who are clearly here for free advertising, as recently displayed in the forum!!
    Legopants
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    You are never going to make everyone happy. That's the bottom line here. Certain individuals believe they have better ideas and a second group feels their points are valid. You can't change everyone's thinking on this subject so I'd say just drop it and move along to some other fun subjects. Any suggestions???
    @augen - the marketplace was created because users wanted a vehicle with which they could trade, sell or buy with other community members. We are all adults here, many of which can successfully tie our own shoes. If all you're looking to do here is find a deal, then I think you're missing a great opportunity to otherwise participate in a wonderful community.

The marketplace caters to our community, not the other way around. And the idea that we're doing something here different than anywhere else might not be the terrible thing you make it out to be.

Lastly, is the only difference between a rule and a guideline whether or not it gets enforced? And if so, what exactly was accomplished?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I agree, theres no need for more rules or guidelines. If people want to include a price then cool, if they don't thats fine. Whatever works for them - it certainly isn't hurting anybody. That said, not including a price always did seem odd to me as surely everyone has an idea of what they would accept? However, having to think about this for my own sales recently I find it hard to put a price on an item because I'm worried its too high - because if you take an equivalent value off bricklink or ebay and even ten drop 10% for fees or whatever it still often seems a large amount.

There are things that go on in the marketplace (very infrequently - its a remarkably sensible place) like spurious discounts, overly frequent bumping, advertising other sales , etc, all of which aren't too great imo. But these could all be best dealt with by a quick pm from a mod if they felt it necessary. In my ideal world everyone would at least drop the 10% fees compared to ebay if not slightly better, but thats just my opinion - it can't possibly be enforced but equally I (and I'm sure others) make a mental note of those that do behave in that kind of way and avoid business with them. For me thats enough.

As for the above - In the UK its all in the intent when the item was purchased. If the intent was to consume but for whatever reason (change in circumstances, change in mind etc) you decide to sell - thats fine. If you buy with the intent to sell then you are governed by many of the same rules as any other retailer. It doesn't matter if you are selling in a retail shop, on ebay, bricklink, or the brickset forum. It doesn't matter whether you are registered with HMRC either. As for the specific law about pricing items - I don't know if that applies or not, but certainly things like the DSR do.
    CCC
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    @augen

"I proposed guidelines, not rules. I am not aware of one other marketplace where Lego can be sold and the price not stated, so I doubt very much sellers will stop selling here."

Last time I checked this is the Brickset FORUM not Brickset Marketplace...

This isn't a Marketplace platform.

My 2p's worth!!

* I was nervous to state the value of my opinion at 2p,and wondered whether I should have just said PM me offers... ;o)
    SirKevbagsleemcgYellowcastlePhonebooth
    @Yellowcastle My main aim was to actually help make the marketplace more open and I thought that guidelines would help this. I am not surprised by the opposition from a minority of sellers as they clearly want to maximise their profits, albeit in a way that is unacceptable elsewhere.

I actually find myself wondering why it's such a big deal to ask sellers to state prices now, whereas before I just thought that it was down to inexperience.

Lastly, @Yellowcastle I am not interested in finding deals here and I am disappointed that you think that this is even personal for I have stated from the outset that I think that guidelines would help those with less experience in selling and would improve the experience for the majority of members. As I have stated before, only one group of people benefit from not showing prices and that's sellers and when I say sellers, I am talking about individuals that buy lego to resell it at a profit. If you think that they deserve protection, please continue with your laissez-faire attitude.