Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold hunt thread

Comments

• GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I've felt nearly 1200 packages myself. I've went through Targets, Meijers, some Walmarts, my local Lego store, etc. I quit awhile ago lol. I figure when I least expect it, he will turn up...
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

@margot that's awesome, lucky kid!

He was so excited! The staff was really happy too. It was a high 4000 number...

• BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    This series of CMF just got moved behind the counter at our local toy store.
    I've only felt a few, got sick of it so I'll just hope I get lucky and find one by chance.
    Update on the Mr. Gold I sent back because of a poor paint job, he has not yet been replaced after almost 6 weeks. But I did get an update today that he was sent all the way to Denmark for inspection and that once they get a replacement it will be sent back to Lego in Connecticut and then on to me. Apparently getting a replacement is not so easy (is someone feeling packages at Lego? lol) I almost wish I had just kept the original both because it seems like a lot of fuss is being made and because my son and I are sweating whether or not we will ever get a Mr. Gold back. But on the other hand it is kind of fun to think of him making a journey to Denmark.
    Yellowcastleicey117
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^Thanks for the update. I've been wondering about your Mr. Gold. You very likely have the rare distinction of having Lego investigate your Mr. Gold and also that your little guy is on his way to Denmark. Very, very cool. I wonder if he had any trouble passing through airport security? :) Try to be patient- I'm sure all will work out well.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Will be interesting to see how they replace your figure. How do they replace it if all 5000 are packed up? Do they fire up the lines and make one more? 5001 Mr Golds?

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    jdylak said:

Will be interesting to see how they replace your figure. How do they replace it if all 5000 are packed up? Do they fire up the lines and make one more? 5001 Mr Golds?

I think TLG is like it's own big brother. The CIA even of the toy world. They have duplicates and molds and models and blueprints and sets and bricks and pieces...and oh wait yes anyways they have more I am sure in their lego vault. 5000 distributed world wide but if anything but for patent and other proprietary reasons they have more.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    When they have 5,000 of a limited edition run, they usually make 10-20% more for just this reason. And to give a few out around the office, unnumbered of course.

They would never actually make just 5,000 of them.
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 376
    I believe a lot of companies make an extra 10% of anything to Allow for damages/theft etc. So that would mean an extra 500 that aren't for actual release, even if they only made an extra 2% that would still be 100!!
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281

When they have 5,000 of a limited edition run, they usually make 10-20% more for just this reason. And to give a few out around the office, unnumbered of course.

They would never actually make just 5,000 of them.

I need a job at their office then, Probably my only shot at getting a Mr Gold. My Walmart seemed to get another shipment in tonight and I went thru 4 of those big aisle displays. Hundreds of figures and of course, no Gold. I did however finish my set. I think I was more excited about that when I say four aisle displays then thinking I had a chance at a Gold.

Received my replacement Mr. Gold today, shipped straight from Denmark via DHL Express. Also received a complimentary series 10 cmf so at first glance I thought I got an unopened Mr. Gold, but he actually came in a small plastic ziploc type bag. Thank you Lego.
    murphquakeLegoFanTexasindigoboxSirKevbagsJonn420Yellowcastleicey117AdeelZubair
    edited July 2013
    @margot ^Happy for you. Enjoy him, love him, display him. I hope you kept all the correspondence, mailing wrappers, etc. You could be the only one with this issue. It only adds to the excitement of the Mr. Gold adventure. Glad it all worked out.
    ^ They have cool stationary...
    photo
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I've determined that finding him is like finding love. It'll happen either when you least expect it, or if you cheat.
    murphquakeAdeelZubair
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,702
    All I can say is people who work in stores that sell Lego Minifigures Series 10 have an upper hand!!
  • TinKnockerHimesTinKnockerHimes Member Posts: 76
    they still have to sit there and feel them, they cant just pull them out upon opening a box

My father collects Hot Wheels cars, and they put out a Treasure Hunt car back in 95, and those never made it onto the shelves, picked up and hidden by employees and sold out the back, cause they were big money back when the whole craze started

After seeing that with the HW's cars I was very put off by LEGO doing this, even though it is more random to find one, Just finding S10 on a shelf is tough now, Me and my daughter have found 11 to date since they came out, and she has 5 baseball players...

I've decided I will just buy a full set or trade for them when each new series comes out, hopefully still in the bags and that way she can still be surprised opening them up
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited July 2013
    Finding love like finding mr gold? I'm not sure, I certainly wouldn't recommend feeling up a person, in the hopes of finding love! Though something will be struck!
    :oP

ugh... ordinarily I'd write something funnier - but i'm on the booze, and me' brain ain'tsa workins proper...
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Felt some bags yesterday, wasn't really looking for Mr.Gold. I gave that up, lol. I wanted the Warrior Woman mainly. My GF grabbed a magazine as I felt maybe 30 bags. Grabbed 2 which was hoping would be Warrior Woman and Sea Caption. But I at least guessed right on the Warrior Woman. The other was the Painter, main thing I like from him is his hat. xD For some reason I thought the bird was like the old pirate birds.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @SquareSide Warrior Woman: Shield is round dome shape with handle on other side, Spear has rubber tip, hair is distinctive for this series. Painter: feel for 1x1 round brick, bucket/handle or paint roller piece. Sea Captain: Seagull is rubber and quite large, if you feel it try to squeeze the wings down, the Binoculars are distinctive as is the hat. HTH!

I'm around 3,500 packets felt and no goldie. One of these days.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Since my post, I've found CMF 10 at toys r us and the 3 furthest walmarts from us. I checked through 2 and 2/3's of the TRU boxes and nothing, only had a tiny bit of time at 2 walmarts and nothing, and checked the closest WM of the 3 but there was only about a dozen packs or so stuffed in a polybag display case and nada(but got the sea captain I meant to get a couple weeks back)
    We should just all give up looking for it in protest....

We should just all give up looking for it in protest....

Lol so you can look without worrying about someone else getting to it first? :-)
    shhhhhhh
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,416
    I struck gold!.... on feeBay....

I did have to rifle through a numerous amount of custom listings to find an authentic one... does that count?
    GothamConstructionComargotEKSamBrickDancerPenkid11YellowcastleJonn420AdeelZubair
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    @samiam391 lol for a sec I thought you actually found one
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    @samiam391
    LOL. Did you have to wade through all those " Medusa or Mr. Gold" listings?:-))
    rancorbait
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ Haha, yea that is some serious crap, I hope no one fell for that.

Now you have something worth that cloud city Boba fett right @samiam391?
    :-)
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    2 days ago I found two new shippers of series 10 at WM. New to me anyway and they didn't seem to be rifled through too badly yet. Felt every bag in one shipper but no gold. My wife helped. Didn't have time to look through the second shipper until today when I went back. Both shippers had obviously been gone through this time. I had even less time so I shook every pack in both shippers on the assumption that Mr. Gold would not rattle since he is also sealed in another package inside. Only someone who's found one can answer this but would they give such a secret away? Ended up buying 4 packs, got 2 I needed and 2 doubles. I'm terrible at trying to feel for figures so hopefully I didn't have him in my hands, but I'll never know. I only need three more figures to complete this set but its been so long since I even thought about series 10 because I didn't think I would actually see any more released near me, that I couldn't remember who I needed. So, if I get another chance (WM is not close to me and the only real retail store around where I live) maybe I'll try to feel for the figs I need, but I might just buy them online to make it easier. And so ends my tale. :}
    ^Which ones do you still need?
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    It seems to me that Series 10 is difficult to collect. Most stores in the Raleigh area don't have any, and those that do seem to have just a few packs.

I bought about 40 from our LEGO store and ended up with 7 different figs. With some help from others standing nearby, three more appeared. So with 43 purchased, there are still are 6 missing ones. These odds really stink. I finally bought a three pack of decorators off of eBay....love the paint can and roller as I'm spending the weekend painting our LEGO room.

A clerk in our LEGO store told me that five Mr. Golds had been found in that store so far....WOW! It is difficult getting excited about a figure I will never own most likely. It will not bother me that he won't be showing up at my party.
    ^My TRU has 7 boxes about 3/4 full and they just aren't moving off the shelf. I think series 10 fatigue has set in at least locally. It's even easy to regularly find medusas in boxes that have been sitting around for awhile.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    legomatt said:

Finding love like finding mr gold? I'm not sure, I certainly wouldn't recommend feeling up a person, in the hopes of finding love! Though something will be struck!
    :oP

ugh... ordinarily I'd write something funnier - but i'm on the booze, and me' brain ain'tsa workins proper...

Don't be so sure. I felt up my future wife at a nightclub on Halloween.
    She wasn't amused, but I must have done something right ;)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    "Dew" you have a Mr. Gold @Yellowcastle?
    Yellowcastle
    Bah. That reminds me, we need an updated Dewback and Mos Eisley Cantina Set!
    Pitfall69
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Very, very cute. Glad someone can post photos of Mr. Gold because that is as close as I'll be getting to one! Congratulations!!!
    icey117
    edited July 2013
    @chuxtoybox said: I had even less time so I shook every pack in both shippers on the assumption that Mr. Gold would not rattle since he is also sealed in another package inside. Only someone who's found one can answer this but would they give such a secret away?

I'll give the secret away, although I don't know how much of a secret it really is, but... you may not like the answer. Although your hypothesis seems logical, it won't help to identify Mr. Gold in a sealed package. The package contents DO rattle when shaken just like any other minifig package. Earlier in the hunt, someone posted that the package "feels" different due to the extra inner plastic bag. I found this to be true only when you are aware that Mr. Gold is in the package. Kind of a 'hindsight is 20/20' type of knowledge. It is not obvious upon just feeling the bag. IMO, the best way to identify Mr. Gold is to feel each pack for identifiable accessories. Once you feel the top hat, you have found him! Another possible option is to look for the bump code. The bump code that has been posted is the bump code for Mr. Gold. Still, I think the best method is just to feel each bag you come across. You do have to spend a bit of time searching, and of course there is no guarantee you will find him, but it's a sure bet you won't find him if you don't go looking for him. Good luck.
    Yellowcastle
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Yellowcastle should do a series of vignettes. Mr. Gold hanging upside down in the Wampa cave, trying to reach his cane with the Force. Mr. Gold wedging his cane into the mouth of the Rancor. Stuff like that. The possibilities are endless! :}
    shaheedYellowcastleJohnnyfinlandia
    Is it ridiculous that after the post by @yellowcastle I had to buy #4501 ?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Haha
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Felt a ton of bags at Target and Toysrus. No Gold, but I have all the ones I possibly want from series 10. I can identify them pretty quick now too when feeling. 3 have been found in Montana... I would like to be the 4th. Dx
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    @Yellowcastle- hmm, looks like you could use a stormtrooper for that dewback.
    I'll trade you a stormtrooper in mint condition for that Mr gold. ;-)

BTW cool pic.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    It does look pretty close, but the tie looks off to me.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 586
    I don't think it's real.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    I think it's a damn good copy.
    edited July 2013

I don't think it's real.

The listing says it's a copy... my point is that it looks pretty good.