Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Cataloging Collection

licowboy74licowboy74 Member Posts: 12
Just started to Catalog my entire collection of Legos I have had since I was 2. Placing them in plastic bins with set numbers on the front of bins. This is a huge undertaking, especially for those sets that are in a HUGE bin all mixed together, trying to seperate into sets are not easy at all. Putting my information up on Brickset here to help manage what I have. Just hate how it will not give you a total parts count, does not count repeat sets, have to do that on my own with calculator. I have gone through 2 huge bins already, and going well so far. Still working on Star Wars though, not made it to my classic sets which I have hundreds of. Going to be a long month.
Any of you gone through this process recently?

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,472
    edited July 2013
    ^ Erm, Brickset does give you a total parts count (on the main page, not the list page), and you can count repeat sets (go into the set page, and on the right it says 'I own X number of this set').
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    From experience, it's best to sort the pieces into part or color (personal choice) and then it's relatively easy to locate and organize sets.

It's more work on the front end, but it's easier as you go along once the pieces are sorted.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Fortunately I have saved all the instructions from the sets purchased since my son turned 3 in 1991 and began playing with LEGO. I organized these by number, and made a list in order to determine which sets we own. Most of the sets are broken down, and the parts are mixed now.

There are some problems with this approach to cataloging what you own. First of all, not every set has instructions, especially the smaller ones. And we bought a lot of smaller ones because they were cheaper and we were poorer then. My guess is that we have about a hundred sets that came without instructions or for which we have lost the instructions.

Secondly, we bought multiples of many sets because often they were at close out prices. It is hard to know if we kept all of the instructions for multiple sets.

But at least this gives me a great start for cataloging the sets. It is important to keep an inventory once the value hits $5,000US or so in case your place burns down or is flooded, and you lose everything. Most insurance companies in the US require you to purchase a special rider for any hobby collections you own, and this requires an inventory.

Will get back to you when I finish entering the sets in the Brickset database tonight. So far it has gone smoothly. A HUGE THANKS to whoever created this tool for listing your sets!!!