Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

San Diego Comic Com 2013 LEGO Minifigures Revealed

Comments

• vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    @BrickDancer Thanks, I wasn't aware of these.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    Wonder if these will be at Chicago Comicon, though prices to get in there are absolutely absurd
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Hmmm.

Straight no for Spider Woman, not really liking the look of her at all.

Same to black Superman, he looks cool, but its Zod with an S, and I cant justify the price for that.

Green Arrow looks cool, all new (bar the hood), its a nice design and will probably end up being the most sought after imo.

Spider-Man looks brilliant, but I am gutted that wont be a widely released figure. His suit looks fantastic, I love the blue pattern.

For the right price, I reckon I'll try and get Green Arrow and Spidey, but wont be devastated if I never own these.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    I am going all guns/ arrows for oliver queen! :) the. Spider woman. But i will wait for the other two
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2013

Wonder if these will be at Chicago Comicon, though prices to get in there are absolutely absurd

Thus far Lego hasn't had an official presence at either of Chicago's cons (Wizard World Chicago Comic Con and Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo). C2E2 is run by the same folks as NYCC but for whatever reason Lego has not shown up yet. Mind you, C2E2 is younger than NYCC so it might just take another year or two. Who knows.

As for prices, they raised them but the 4-day pass is a good bargain ($90, $100 at the door, while day-to-day will cost you $200+).

• GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    If LEGO actually is able to do movie-based Spider-Man stuff next year, that figure will definitely be re-released. Superman from the $20 set made his debut as a NYCC 2011 exclusive, limited to 200. The others are all really iffy at best.

• DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I'm so mad. Now all these ppl are gonna try n sell these figs for way too much money.
    marjoryk
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,384
    edited July 2013
    Drmnez said:

I'm so mad. Now all these ppl are gonna try n sell these figs for way too much money.

In truth, it's the buyers who are the problem, not the sellers.

The buyers are the ones who pay ridiculous sums of money for the minifigures... if you were a seller, why wouldn't you list it for the amount that you know people were paying?

It's true that sellers have some control in such a limited quantity market, but the prices of their figures will go down if people don't purchase them.

The only problem is, none of the buyers trust the others to wait, resulting in overblown prices :o).
    andheZonPitfall69icey117DanGP
    samiam391 said:

Drmnez said:

In truth, it's the buyers who are the problem, not the sellers.

The buyers are the ones who pay ridiculous sums of money for the minifigures... if you were a seller, why wouldn't you list it for the amount that you know people were paying?

It's true that sellers have some control in such a limited quantity market, but the prices of their figures will go down if people don't purchase them.

The only problem is, none of the buyers trust the others to wait, resulting in overblown prices :o).
    True... I always hated thAt too hahaha
    I guess my frustration should be geared towards Lego. Seeing as I do not really care for "exclusivity." I just like what I like and try my hardest not to buy to sell.

I do sell when I do not want something anymore, but I still do not try to go over board with pricing.
    I wish lego would just do away with exclusives. They can just release sets early for cc attendees instead of exclusives that few will get to promote their prods
    jondesouzaCEGurooo
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I think I'm fortunate in that Phoenix has been the only exclusive I've actually wanted. That Spidey looks nice, but I don't want him badly enough to buy him for absurd amounts.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 964
    It's not worth the energy getting worked up about these, but it is certainly disheartening. I understand why TLG want to have exclusives at conventions; a lot of the attendees will not be AFOLs, but are the absolute perfect profile to become AFOLs (there are a lot of parallels between collecting comics and collecting LEGO) and are likely going to with the right provocation.

But whether they don't see or don't care that this comes at the alienation of much of their existing fan base is disheartening. TLG knows just how important it is to have complete collections for a significant portion of its customers, yet makes that impossible for all but a relatively small number of lucky people. If those beyond the chosen few want to complete their collections, it involves lining the pockets of those who see the exclusives as little more than dollar signs flashing before their eyes. This is a crazy trend to encourage, because:

1) A lot of collectors will put aside a significant portion of their discretionary income to buy the exclusives on eBay, surely reducing the amount they would have otherwise spent on LEGO sets that are released during the year;

2) TLG has been making moves to stop reselling with limits placed on orders etc. but are directly feeding complete and utter scalping (as they are doing with Mr. Gold, but that's for another conversation).

There are surely ways that TLG could draw people to the LEGO booth and create new AFOLs without alienating the people who are already loyal to the company. As @Drmnez says, release a set early (which may still encourage scalping, but a lot less people would pay ridiculous sums if they knew it would be priced reasonably a few months later); take minifigs from future releases and put them on a specially printed SDCC attendee cards; give out smaller existing sets/polybags as freebies; anything that wouldn't make the vast majority of existing collectors feel like outcasts.
    jondesouzaCEBeavy2joshDrmnezandheGurooo
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273

take minifigs from future releases and put them on a specially printed SDCC attendee cards; give out smaller existing sets/polybags as freebies; anything that wouldn't make the vast majority of existing collectors feel like outcasts.

If this happened, people would just bash TLG for being boring and having poor exclusives for conventions. AFOLs are a small portion of the lego fanbase. AFOLs who need a 100% complete collection of minifigures is even smaller. Whatever TLG does, there will be unhappy people willing to feel slighted. I think it's pretty cool that there are exclusive minifigures at these events...it shows a willingness on TLG's part to create hype, as well as very unique products.
    ^AFOLs are the loyal customers though. I know they make money off of parent buying their child Lego, but if they don't become AFOLs I'm pretty sure no one will buy them lego just because.

I personally limited sets I want because of exclusives.
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    I don't mind exclusives, but I do wish they wouldn't do the same theme every year. I don't collect that many themes, so it would be nice to have a year off in the chance that the exclusive aren't a theme I collect. As it is now, it seems as though I can expect to chase down 4 super hero figs each year.
    DrmnezZon
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Not really sure how many the make or if the give them a way but I think a better option would be to still do the exclusive figures but release a lot more of them and charge a few $ for them if they don’t already.

Make it so they have enough so those who attend can go up to the Lego both any time during the event and get one (or even make it two per person). This way there will be a plenty of supply for the secondary market and the price should be a fair bit lower. They still have a limited figure but those who are completionists and cannot attend can still get one at a reasonable price.
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Spider Woman is straight up NO. That little detail for $400? Absurd.
    Black Superman looks nice, but nothing exclusive other than the torso.
    Spidey is neat, I think he'll be released in a set though.
    Green Arrow is the only appealing one, great printing and a hood, I would never think LEGO would go that far on an exclusive before.
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    Anyone else think the Green Arrow looks a little closer to the Smallville/Arrow TV series iterations, especially in the face? I mean stubble over a proper goatee. No doubt it's Ollie Queen but are Lego/Warner trying to pull the universes closer together to get a wider fan base thus more popularity for these exclusives?

Spiderman is widely available in many varieties so the rebooted movie version is no surprise and welcome of the connotations of later sets from the new movie series.

Spiderwoman is a little more niche and they have used the "classic" look here, which makes her a proper exclusive IMHO.

Black suited Superman originally was the rebirth look with longer hair and no cape but later added a silver or maroon cape and symbol in comics only so this makes little sense to use the movie style suit.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    @kyrotek my first thought, was the hood
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,923
    edited July 2013

I can't stand the production of all these exclusives, be it Comic Con (which I'm most disappointed by as I'm a huge comic fan and would love to get these); free offers with games only available in certain countries and even the polys we get in the UK free with newspapers that are never available elsewhere. It's just a fantastic way of driving a secondary market and eventually alienating customers like me that have no way of getting hold of these figures. If I can't complete my collection why bother collecting at all?

Let me turn that around and ask "if you don't care about any collection but a complete collection, why bother collecting at all?" I've got nothing against people who want to complete their collection and who will pay what it takes to do so, but honestly, my perspective has always been that the only real difference between a minifigure you can't obtain and a minifigure that never existed is that OTHER people will own minifigures you can't obtain. And thus the anti-exclusive sentiment I often hear often ends up sounding very petty — "if I can't have this fig, NOBODY should be able to."

If you're that concerned about your collection being incomplete, why not just be a little more specific about what it's a collection of? Even if you miss out on these kind of exclusive Super Heroes minifigures, you can still have a perfectly complete collection of "minifigures from LEGO Super Heroes sets", since these are given out individually rather than in sets. A minifigure collection seems like an exceptionally poor investment if its value to you hinges on forces outside your control, like what TLG does or doesn't produce.

I feel it should be at TLG's discretion to produce whatever minifigures they want and distribute them as they see fit. If they want to produce minifigures as employee gifts, for instance, then that's at their discretion. There may very well be figures that have been produced in very small quantities which the LEGO fan community has scarcely heard of, but that doesn't make any AFOL's collection less complete for that lack of knowledge. And I don't see how TLG is at fault for "alienating" fans when it's entirely those fans' decision to demand things they were never entitled to to begin with.

What annoys me is that they make characters for this that they don't put out generally. I don't mind alternate suits, etc., but no other Green Lantern? No Bizarro? no Dark Phoenix? and now no Green Arrow or Spider Woman(probably); too bad. Glad they put out a Venom, at least.

Keep in mind that there's nothing stopping TLG from putting these characters in sets. They have the license and could easily put them in sets at any time. In fact, there's no reason they couldn't have put them in sets already, given that the Super Heroes license has been around for over a year now. But frankly, most figures that get priority for sets are figures that any Joe Shmoe who's never picked up a comic book stands a chance of recognizing, whether it be a classic character ingrained in popular culture or a majro character from a movie or cartoon that's currently being heavily marketed.

Bizarro can easily appear when there's a Superman movie in theaters or a Superman cartoon on the airwaves that features him prominently. Green Lantern was probably GOING to appear in additional sets, but didn't because after the movie tanked, retailers didn't want to carry Green Lantern merchandise anymore (this is also one reason the cartoon was cancelled — superhero merchandise and superhero media have a symbiotic relationship, and rarely does one flourish without the other). Spider-Woman is a very obscure character who most people who don't read comic books have probably never heard of, but a major new TV or film appearance could change that. Etcetera, etcetera.

Now, these particular minifigures will probably never appear in sets, partly to maintain their exclusivity, and partly because TLG would want to optimize them further for release in sets anyway. But that latter point is an important one. There's no reason that the Bizarro fig is the ONLY right way to depict Bizarro. Even drawing inspiration from the same depiction of the character, it just takes subtle changes to make a character different from earlier appearances. Just compare the Harry Potter minifigures from the 2004 sets with the ones from the 2010 sets. The changes are subtle and some people might prefer one or the other, but neither is "wrong" according to the source material.
    JessyDooDahlucianLukeSkywalker
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    Aanchir said:

Let me turn that around and ask "if you don't care about any collection but a complete collection, why bother collecting at all?" I've got nothing against people who want to complete their collection and who will pay what it takes to do so, but honestly, my perspective has always been that the only real difference between a minifigure you can't obtain and a minifigure that never existed is that OTHER people will own minifigures you can't obtain. And thus the anti-exclusive sentiment I often hear often ends up sounding very petty — "if I can't have this fig, NOBODY should be able to."

I simply don't think it's reasonable is that I can't own it simply because of where I happen to live. If I could have obtained it but simply don't because I missed out for any one of a number of reasons I wouldn't have a complaint.
    Aanchir said:

If you're that concerned about your collection being incomplete, why not just be a little more specific about what it's a collection of? Even if you miss out on these kind of exclusive Super Heroes minifigures, you can still have a perfectly complete collection of "minifigures from LEGO Super Heroes sets", since these are given out individually rather than in sets.

That's a strange argument - it completely misunderstands the nature of collecting. The way you describe is simply not how people approach building a collection.
    Aanchir said:

I feel it should be at TLG's discretion to produce whatever minifigures they want and distribute them as they see fit.

Yes, absolutely, that's entirely their right. But at the same time they have to expect those discretionary decisions to cause some of their customers to react negatively. My argument is that this is a poor decision as the negative impact on them is likely to outweigh the positive.
    Aanchir said:

There may very well be figures that have been produced in very small quantities which the LEGO fan community has scarcely heard of, but that doesn't make any AFOL's collection less complete for that lack of knowledge.

The possibility of a 'lack of knowledge' is incredibly unlikely in the age of the internet and certainly doesn't apply in this case.
    Aanchir said:

And I don't see how TLG is at fault for "alienating" fans when it's entirely those fans' decision to demand things they were never entitled to to begin with.

I don't think anyone is claiming 'entitlement' - there are lots of variables that could hinder someone in getting access to a figure or set. I think that what those are against this move feel is that there should be better equality of opportunity in getting access to sets or figures. Lego's actions here promote a sense that some of their customers are preferred over the majority.

Drmnez
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    edited July 2013
    "I simply don't think it's reasonable is that I can't own it simply because of where I happen to live. If I could have obtained it but simply don't because I missed out for any one of a number of reasons I wouldn't have a complaint"

I cannot support this statement! Even if you lived 1 block away from a promotion it does not mean you are going to get your hands on one. I live outside of the USA and I am fully able to get my hands on any promotion item I want. It's called Ebay, and I pay what the market is dictating for that item.

Simple! We all have an oppurtunity at these items, you just have to decide if the cost is worth it.
    Supersympa
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Aanchir said:

If you're that concerned about your collection being incomplete, why not just be a little more specific about what it's a collection of? Even if you miss out on these kind of exclusive Super Heroes minifigures, you can still have a perfectly complete collection of "minifigures from LEGO Super Heroes sets", since these are given out individually rather than in sets.

That's a strange argument - it completely misunderstands the nature of collecting. The way you describe is simply not how people approach building a collection.
    So how do people approach building a collection? I imagine most decide what they are going to collect and go from there.

For example, I decided I want to collect minifigures of characters that played a significant role in the original Star Wars films. So I'd like to have Darth Vader in my collection but see no need to include Bossk or Malakili. LEGO has, of course, produced minifigures of both, but my collection is not defined as "all Star Wars minifigures produced by LEGO".
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,384
    ^I've been on this forum for a long time, but I've still yet to master the multiple block quote. Italics will have to do for now.

"I simply don't think it's reasonable is that I can't own it simply because of where I happen to live. If I could have obtained it but simply don't because I missed out for any one of a number of reasons I wouldn't have a complaint."

If I may ask, where do you live? I can assure you that more than just people from San Diego go to Comic Con. People from outside the US go as well.

I'll ask another question. If you went, and won the raffle twice, and got the same figure twice, what would you do with the extra? Hold onto it for your collection, or sell it for the prices on eBay?

Lets not forget that a lot of people go to SDCC, and pay for their expenses by selling these hard to get exclusives. They also get them for themselves.

What incentive is there to go to comic con if you aren't getting collectibles exclusive to the event? There are lots of extra activities and signings, etc., but at the end of the day a lot of people go for the stuff. The "freebies" and the items that they have to pay for that can't be attained elsewhere.

In some other forum, far far away, I'm sure there are some people complaining that they can't get their Bizarro action figure because it's only limited to comic con. They are probably presenting the same argument as well. Lets say we shut down LEGO's comic con booth, and there are no more freebies. The action figure booth is shut down as well. No items, even for purchase, are available. What's the point in really going then? Sure there is still somewhat of a draw, but Comic Con won't pull near the numbers from vendors and consumers alike if they did such a thing.

I hate having to pay gobs of money each year for these exclusives too, but I also have no problem with LEGO doing what they are doing.

In truth, collecting is whatever the collector wants it to be. It is my belief that collection has no definition, which in itself is a definition :o)

Yes, absolutely, that's entirely their right. But at the same time they have to expect those discretionary decisions to cause some of their customers to react negatively. My argument is that this is a poor decision as the negative impact on them is likely to outweigh the positive.

I wouldn't agree.

Look at it this way.

Because of this, are you going to stop buying LEGO products? I doubt it. There is no loss of profit for LEGO, which, lets not forget, is a business.

If some random person that has never looked at LEGO decides to enter the draw, and wins the figure and thinks it's neat to see their favorite super hero in a LEGO form... do you think they will decide to buy LEGO products? Perhaps only 1 or 2. But that is another customer.

Then maybe they'll show their figure to their friends, and neighbors, and other people, and before you know it LEGO has captured over a dozen people from a single item.

They are attempting to promote the Super Hero line, by going after the market that has the most influence in promoting their products. The people at SDCC. This is marketing at its finest.
    Pitfall69Josephindigobox
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    edited July 2013
    I love the exclusives. I like the fact that everyone and their brother does not have the same collection as me or the next guy. Not everyone can have a Ferrari in their garage. It is not cheap for people outside San Diego and NYC to go to Comic Con and Toy Fair. It is actually far cheaper to purchase the minifigures online than it is to travel to these places hoping to get your hands on one.

TyoSoloBrick_ObsessionpillpodYellowcastlemargotindigobox
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    Personally, I have found it irritating that these figures are nigh on impossible for me to own without spending a fortune. But as @Samiam391 and others have mentioned, a collection is what you make it, so now I collect Superhero minifigs from retail sets.

Should I ever manage to get a SDCC or NYCC exclusive, it will be the prize of my collection... these are the items that collectors covet... that make a collector, a collector, but we all have to live within our means. Otherwise I'd have 4 Ferraris on the drive!
    Pitfall69Zoncarlqindigobox
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I want to walk into @samiam391's home and "marvel" at his collection, not say "meh, I have 10 of those"

Tevans333
    Sorry everyone - didnt explain myself properly before as I was writing my message out quickly while dealing with an angry small person.

I accept that not everyone can get everything. Of course that's reasonable. And TLG has every right to decide how its products are distributed.

And I agree of course that some people are content to base a collection around what is easily achievable - hence the examples above of people collecting superhero figures from retail sets. However, my presumption would be that many people approached collecting the superhero theme with the belief that they would be able to collect all of it. Why would anyone think otherwise as exclusives of this kind are a recent thing.

When I talk about 'equality of opportunity' I point to the Zombies MF set and Mr Gold as two good comparisons. The Zombies was a set which had a small production run. I wanted to buy it but didn't. This is my fault, not TLG's. If I wanted it I should have prioritised buying it more quickly.

And even though it was a thoroughly stupid idea, I kind of feel the same about Mr Gold - if I really wanted it that much I could have spent lots of time and effort seeking one out across England. I didn't get one - that's my lookout.

With the Comic Con figures there is no realistic way of getting hold of one. I felt much the same about the Team GB Collectible Minifigs (even though I benefitted from that set of exclusives) - people in other countries that had collected all of the previous series of figs should have had an easier way of getting hold of them. Other examples of this include the Iron Patriot figure and Lex Luthor.

What would be fairer? How about a run of 10,000 and giving them away or selling them to VIPs via brand stores on a given day. Or maybe build a promotion or activity around them (some sort of scavenger hunt for instance). And I absolutely realise that even if TLG did this I might not get a fig. As with the examples above, that would be my lookout as I at least would have been given the opportunity.

My feeling is still that TLG's actions with the Comic Con figs promote the idea that there are a blessed few who are lucky. I'm sure that many people will react by simply thinking, "I wish I was of the lucky few" and I do totally understand that. My reaction is different though. It's much more "Why doesn't the company value the majority of its customers as much as a small number of people who won't even necessarily want to enjoy the figures they're given".

Given my strength of feeling on this though, I'll make a pledge to my fellow Bricksetters - if I'm able to get hold of any UK exclusives easily I'll gladly send them on to people elsewhere at cost if I can.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,813

With the Comic Con figures there is no realistic way of getting hold of one. I felt much the same about the Team GB Collectible Minifigs (even though I benefitted from that set of exclusives) - people in other countries that had collected all of the previous series of figs should have had an easier way of getting hold of them. Other examples of this include the Iron Patriot figure and Lex Luthor.

There is a realistic way of getting hold of one. You buy one on ebay and pay a premium. It might not be a way of getting it direct from lego / not from a reseller, but you can realistically get one. Yes, you have to pay a lot for one, but then you are buying something rare in a market where many other people want the same item.

With Team GB, they were readily available in the UK, and so quite cheap even for someone in the US. Cost of buying them low, available everywhere in the country, so negligible travel costs, postage costs.

But the costs of someone else getting a comic con exclusive and selling it to you are possibly quite high. Travel to event, hotel at event (maybe two nights for just one day's participation), ticket costs for event, three days "wages" for them due to travel and being at the event, ebay fees, postage, insurance.
    CCC said:

There is a realistic way of getting hold of one. You buy one on ebay and pay a premium. It might not be a way of getting it direct from lego / not from a reseller, but you can realistically get one. Yes, you have to pay a lot for one, but then you are buying something rare in a market where many other people want the same item.

With Team GB, they were readily available in the UK, and so quite cheap even for someone in the US. Cost of buying them low, available everywhere in the country, so negligible travel costs, postage costs.

But the costs of someone else getting a comic con exclusive and selling it to you are possibly quite high. Travel to event, hotel at event (maybe two nights for just one day's participation), ticket costs for event, three days "wages" for them due to travel and being at the event, ebay fees, postage, insurance.
    Of course there's a secondary market CCC but my understanding is that this was something that TLG wasn't keen on (which was part of my initial point - if Lego don't like the secondary market why feed it in this way?).

This is a really interesting debate and I do see the other sides of the argument but I can't help feeling that exclusives are poor for customers and poor for Lego as a brand. Guess I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you! :-)
    Drmnez
    like I said before 'I put off buying sets or completely do not buy them just so I can buy the exclusives.'

It's the reason why I've become so picky on what I buy.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697
    Lets hope for Lego The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 2014!!
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 172
    I love the exclusives, even though I do not own each and every one. I have purchased some, won some in contests, and missed out on some.

I also think these exclusives help draw a lot of attention to Lego, have helped make Lego a 'legitimate collectible' with a chance at having increased value in your collection. Remember the first run of Spiderman & Batman Legos fell flat. Now the SuperHero legos are doing excellent. Perhaps in part at least, it is due to the fact that other collectors have gotten involved.

I suppose this could be a long discussion with varied opinions but from a business standpoint Lego has been making excellent marketing decisions. We ALL benefit from that since it directly affects the amount and quality of sets available for sale.
    LostInTranslationAdeelZubairJessyDooDah
  • flightlessbirdflightlessbird Member Posts: 13
    I think it's not just that they're exclusives, but that they're so limited too. The UK has comic cons too...

I tried to create last years with bricklinked parts and decals, but it wasn't quite the same. Keep getting tempted to buy machine printed versions off ebay, but they can be expensive to still get a figure that just isn't quite the same :(
    Adzbadboy said:

Won't happen. As long as Sony has the rights to continue butchering Spider-Man, LEGO can't do movie-based sets. Which I'm actually pretty okay with.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    As annoying as it is that I either have to fly to America and hope I win one, pay a massive fee for one, or miss out, isn't that part of the fun of being a collector?

If anyone could get their hands on all of them easily, then it takes the excitement out of it a bit. It took me three tries and a lot of money to finally get my hands on a Shazam figure, but that's why he's special. It was hard work and wasn't cheap, but the waiting and searching and then finally getting him was worth it. If I could've gone down to Toys R Us and picked one up for £20 and there were thousands of them, it wouldn't be as special.

If you're a total completionist, then yeah, it's going to suck, but that isn't Legos concern. I know I won't ever own all the superhero figs, or all the Star Wars figures, simply because a few of them are ridiculously expensive, but I'll have fun tracking down and collecting as many as I can.
    edited July 2013
    y2josh said:

Adzbadboy said:

Won't happen. As long as Sony has the rights to continue butchering Spider-Man, LEGO can't do movie-based sets. Which I'm actually pretty okay with.
    They have the rights to make a SDCC minifigure for Spider-Man based off The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) movie so it is a possibility. They done that for Captain America and Iron Man.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    y2josh said:

Adzbadboy said:

I've read from a few different forums/articles/speculations that the MB line sold so poorly, that TLG was negotiated at the sole "brick owner" of the movie franchise now.

Can anyone else back that up with anything other than wild-but-believable hearsay?
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    edited July 2013
    samiam391 said:

A very long post.

You are very clever to be a Cats' fan ;)
    jasor said:

y2josh said:

Adzbadboy said:

I've read from a few different forums/articles/speculations that the MB line sold so poorly, that TLG was negotiated at the sole "brick owner" of the movie franchise now.

Can anyone else back that up with anything other than wild-but-believable hearsay?
    The problem is the Spider-Man movie license is with Sony rather than Marvel. Same thing with X-Men and Fox. Short of negotiating license contracts with these groups, they can't make products based off those films. What they can do, and what I'd prefer to see anyway, are 'tie-in' waves of product that are Spidey- or X-Men-centric, but based off the comics.
    Adzbadboy said:

y2josh said:

Adzbadboy said:

They have the rights to make a SDCC minifigure for Spider-Man based off The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) movie so it is a possibility. They done that for Captain America and Iron Man.
    No they don't. They may put out a minifig with a similar-looking costume, but it won't be an official 'movie' minifig, per se.

As to Captain America and Iron Man, those weren't really based off the movie versions, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway since that license is with Marvel/Disney.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Anyone know what day these will be given out?
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Any official word on qty of each. Last year 1000 of each were supposedly given out. Today is Preview Night at SDCC (not going tonight) so we should be getting pix of all sorts of cool stuff. Unfortunately for me Lego is not the only thing I collect so I am going to have to wait in many long lines. I am very fortunate that I have the opportunity to attend another Comic Con.
  • BarneyBPBarneyBP Member Posts: 35
    Very odd that Lego has not published a schedule yet. I don't want to go on the show floor without knowing roughly what they are doing and when...
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    edited July 2013
    Quantities way more limited than last year... going to be tougher to get!

Thursday – Spider-Woman, 350
    Friday – Amazing Spider-Man, 350
    Saturday – Black Suit Superman, 200
    Sunday – Green Arrow, 200

Details on how to obtain as well as credit for the info above: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/18/sdcc-lego-marvel-and-dc-exclusive-minifigures-giveaway-details/#more-22534

Schedule of Events: http://legoevents.tumblr.com/

• DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Dang that is low numbers
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    ^^ Hunger Games in San Diego
    New Star Wars and Super Heroes sets??
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,487
    Toyark has some shots of the current lego display. But noting new on show. You also have to wonder who sets these displays up, with figs in random places etc.

On a sidenote I also had a look at the Kreo pictures (the dungeons and dragons theme drew me in). All I could think was, "I wish this was Lego" as the sets look like dross, but the themes are amusing, especially the 'Cityville Invasion'. Which is basically lego city with zombies and King Kong thrown in. Now THAT'S a lego theme I could get onboard with!

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I can speculate that these will go for $500 right away... Only a few people will claim they have all Super heroes. Throw in the towel everyone.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm so screwed. Super low numbers and only 1 given away per day. No way to crowd surf the winners for extras gggrrrrr!!!