Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Two Fire Brigades

flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
I have recently aquired a second Fire Brigade, and I am looking for modding ideas - not just the obvious adding another storey. One of you lovely people out there must have done this so I would be grateful for some inspiration.

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    That sounds fun!

Maybe you can choose one 'concept' to start with and see what happens. Such as starting with three 16x32 baseplates and seeing what happens to the design. Or making double doors on the ground floor.

Ooh! How about recreating the set at Homemaker scale?!!
    flowerpotgirl
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 360
    I created a 1.5X Fire Brigade. It's 48 wide.
    caperberryflowerpotgirlbrickedinBrickDancerscottwb2010Zacheranobassbison
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    @adello25, thats what i was thinking of doing with mine, so thank you for putting up those pictures - it looks good. What did you do with the inside, is it just one large room? Did you add an extra furniture, I thought a shower or bathroom and some beds would be appropriate.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 871
    I think it was in the custom modulars thread, but someone had turned it into a coast guard / lifeboat station, looked pretty good.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    ^ that would be @bricksan of www.brickfanatics.co.uk
    Thanks @paperballpark, I remember seeing that thread, but could not find it when I searched.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I removed photos as it is now mark.3 and seems everyone wanted to copy :-/
    There are still photos floating around online some where
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    My next project is this. Think of it as Engine Co. No. 9 meets Fire Brigade. I love Fire Brigade, but I'm tired of looking at it. I want something different.
    flowerpotgirl
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^^ That's kind of the point of posting your LEGO creations online? To showcase your work, receive comments and to inspire others. There are many builders who even provide instructions, rather than simply allowing their work to provide a basis for expansion to each individuals taste...
    Pitfall69Furrysaurus
    I agree. This is a Lego Community. I share everything that I build or try to build and provide ideas.
    flowerpotgirl
    Sorry to side track, but yes aware people will like/dislike a creation but getting PBS asking me to give them instructions is another. Others might like to make money from their designs I have bought a few myself but I like to keep my creations as unique to me.
    edited July 2013
    Fair enough.

My designs aren't that great, in fact I might lose money if I ever tried to sell them ;)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^^ I kind of feel the same way. Not to sound selfish but I MOC for me. I wouldn't take down pictures but I'm not really interested in selling or distributing my designs either.
    edited July 2013
    ^^^ I have to say that that is a shame, and could be likened to 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. I can appreciate that you might not want to give out/sell instructions, but that's still no reason to remove the photos. You are losing out on one of the best aspects of being part of the LEGO community, sharing your work and receiving comments. There are hundreds of builders who all share their work, they might not actively encourage people to build their own copies, but there is no way to stop people using it as inspiration, and is that really a bad thing? After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Imagine if every LCP or prominent MOCist became offended and removed all record of their work if someone asked for instructions or used it as inspiration for something of their own. All IMHO of course.
    Again, fair enough. If you MOC for you and you only; why bother posting pictures at all?
    ^ Sorry, I was actually directing my last comment at @bricksan, I didn't see @graphite's comment after I posted.
    @Matthew, I know, my comment was about what @graphite said as well.
    ^ Sharing in a community is about the expression of ideas. Hence the posting of pictures. I MOC for me, but sharing what I've done might provide ideas for other people. Giving out designs for exact replication is not a requisite for the sharing of ideas.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2013
    bricksan said:

I removed photos as it is now mark.3 and seems everyone wanted to copy :-/
    There are still photos floating around online some where

I'd like to thank @cavegod (and many others) for not taking this kind of stance.
    If you re-read my original post I put reason I removed them was it is now in mk.3. I should also have stated that they were originally on Flickr but a while back I switched from using it for Lego attached to BF website to a personal account for my running photos.

When I did that I removed all Lego photos and only have recently start to use it again to share my creations. Once the latest up date is done I will be uploading snaps of it to Flickr and BF.

I used the change as an excuse to stop the request for instructions. I have no problem sharing my creations to gage what others think, the whole point of the building is to display it at shows. My issue is with people expecting me to have instructions and be willing to give them away or sell them.

Hopefully I explained myself a little better.
    Paperballpark
    edited July 2013
    ^I get it, and you are entitled to your opinion and actions. I don't fault you for doing what you feel in your gut you had to do.

That said, I look at the Lego community as a medium not unlike code open sourcing. People put stuff out there (pictures, instructions, techniques, ideas) and others will take them and make them their own, or just outright copy. I personally don't see that there's any harm in that assuming they don't actually sell them, which, honestly, I can't see that happening to any true financial gain given the Lego community's awareness.

My interest in this particular thread was because it is about the Fire Brigade, which I'm guessing many of us have more in our closets than we'd like to admit. Getting ideas or inspiration to do something with 2 or 3 of them to make them greater than the sum of their parts is definitely a win.
    ^ @tensor I agree with you. I only started this thread to get some inspiration and to see if anyone else had done it. I am not looking for building instructions, although I can see why people may be upset at continual requests for instructions. I do not sell any of my lego, I cannot bear to part with it! I am a collector not a reseller. If I had copied someone elses model, I would make sure they got credit if I posted pictures online. This is the first modular that I have two of, and I am hoping by seeing other peoples creations, I will be inspired to create something special or different. The only problem now is that I wish I had a third Fire Brigade....and a second pet shop.
    edited July 2013
    ^Once I get my FireHouse going, I will upload pictures. I think you can get more inspiration other than combining 2 Fire Brigades into 1 large one.
    @bricksan. We understand, no biggie. We have our opinions as well. You are free to do whatever you want :)
    @pitfall69, thank you, I will look out for that.

Not the biggest image but this is one I did find.
    TheLoneTensor
    @bricksan, thank you for posting that.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    @bricksan, can I get instructions for that Coast Guard building? J/K

I did enjoy the pictures you did have and they were giving me some good ideas for my coastline.
    bricksan
    Haha yeah sure ;-)

As I said I have made major changes so once i have finished it will put new pics online. The biggest change is the drop from road level to sea level see this article for an LDD mock up: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/leg-godt-city-june-update/

here is older mk.2 in LDD: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/leg-godt-city/
    bricksan said:

Not the biggest image but this is one I did find.

That is very cool.
    bricksan
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 236
    Hi @flowerpotgirl and everyone else, here is a version I done.
    paul_merton
    You don't even need to do a larger footprint than the regular Fire Brigade. There are a lot of 3 story Firehouses in big cities with 1/2 the footprint of The Pet Shop. You could another outstanding building with the leftover pieces.
    jasorflowerpotgirl
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    @bricksan: I remember seeing your building/buildings a while back on flickr or another site. They were one of the reasons I got back into Lego. Great to see that picture again. I'm a Florida Gator, so that orange and blue didn't hurt.
    bricksan
    Booooooo!!!
    pillpod
    pillpod said:

@bricksan: I remember seeing your building/buildings a while back on flickr or another site. They were one of the reasons I got back into Lego. Great to see that picture again. I'm a Florida Gator, so that orange and blue didn't hurt.

That is humbling to hear glad my creation brought you back to Lego, will teach me not to be a stubborn old fool now.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Half footprint buildings like in PS are the way to go for a varied street view, and bonus if space is limiting. They are challenging, as well, since you have half the space to fill/edit.

I like the idea of an extra story on FB, and a smaller footprint building as well.
    Pitfall69
    Half footprint fire brigade is Ghostbusters headquarters!
    jasorPitfall69
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    @bricksan, I also want to say thanks for sharing your creations, and encourage you to continue to share them even if you've since improved them.

Often when I see an MOC online I'll make a mental note of it so that someday when I get around to building something similar I can reference back to that MOC for inspiration. Sometimes I'll run into a problem and remember an MOC where someone solved that problem, and it's great to look back and see how they did it.

When you posted your waterfront idea originally on Eurobricks it was one of my favorite threads and stayed that way for quite a while. While I wouldn't ask for instructions or copy what you had done, I will say that it was an inspiration and I enjoyed looking at it and studying it much like I do the varoius LEGO books I own. It's also interesting to view how an idea has morphed and changed over time, which in itself can be inspiration to all of us to continue to tweak and improve our designs.

Ultimately it is your call what you choose to do with your creations, but I wanted to let you know that there are some of us who appreciate photos of MOCs much like some people appreciate fine art, they're fun to look at and spark the imagination, which I think was the point of this thread, so hopefully I'm not too far off topic.
    bricksan
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    Phil Datz of I LUG NY ( http://ilugny.org/ ) recently had his double wide 4 bay FB on display in the Queens LEGO Store LUG Showcase window. He used 2 full FBs and some other parts to get it done and the result it spectacular.
  • ChgoMattChgoMatt USAMember Posts: 108
    BrickCityDepot.com sells instructions for an alternate build using about half the pieces from FB. It's a nice looking City Townhouse with interiors, but I haven't tried it yet. brickcitydepot.com/city-building-instructions.html
    @ChgoMatt, I already bought those, I was not that impressed to be honest.