Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What are the top ten LEGO news sites?

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,667
edited September 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Just a little market research...

What would you consider to be the ten most important LEGO news or community sites run by fans for fans?

Think in terms of user/member numbers, their standing in the community and their usefulness to you.

Here's some for starters. I don't need them ranked, so in no particular order

Brickset
fbtb
Brothers-Brick (not strictly a news site but huge audience)
Eurobricks
1000Steine
Toys N Bricks (does this rank in the top 10? Not sure...)

Any to add to this? Where do you get your news? What about non-English sites?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,667
    Reposted in correct category so you can now reply! ;-)
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,289
    @Huw: Please confirm that although you include "community sites run by fans for fans", from your example it seems like you want to focus on the news aspect, therefore ruling out sites like bricklink, MOCGallery, etc.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The Modular Life blog is based out of Singapore and offers a perspective outside of the traditional outlets in the US and Europe.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Apart from those listed the only other site that gets my attention is smashing bricks, which pretty much rounds up other sites although has been useful for next years set news!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,462
    The Modular Life blog is based out of Singapore and offers a perspective outside of the traditional outlets in the US and Europe.
    Is it really a news site, though ?

edited September 2011
    @rocao, yes, news only. Hypothetically, if you were issuing press releases and wanted to get maxmum exposure, which sites would you target? BrickLink wouldn't be one of them since they don't republish news.

I suspect there a niche sites that would fall into the category. TechnicBricks for example provides excellent coverage of a narrow field, and there are similar for HeroFactory (ex Bionicle sites) and Mindstorms, for example, alrhough I know not what they are.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    There is bricks & books that posts regular LEGO news etc: http://bricksandbooks.co.uk
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I had never heard of fbtb, so I am grateful to this thread for highlighting the site. (I think I might have a crack at the Bounty Hunter ship creation!)
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    @Huw, more in response to your hypothetical press release question than to the original post, I would target Gizmodo as I've often seen Lego announcements from that site.
    Another, but much smaller site would be GeekDad.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    In a similar vein Wired magazine and the associated site seems to have a soft-spot for LEGO too.
    edited September 2011
    Is it really a news site, though ?
    They publish on gossip, photo releases, product availability (in Singapore), sales & deals (in Singapore) which is the same thing that FBTB, Eurobricks and many other sites do for the most part. Technically speaking none of the sites listed above are news sites, just websites used occassionally as media outlets and otherwise serving as rumor boards. In that capacity, they're all pretty much sharing the same information between them and the only difference is the speed, or lack thereof, at which they repost it.

I'm not sure what sort of response you'd get but occassionally sites like Blastr (formerly SciFi Wire) will publish stuff about Lego.
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 276
    As a native english speaker having grown up in Switzerland (german is my second language), I also have followed some non-English sites. The only german site that sticks out in my mind is imperiumdersteine.de - and although it's also a 'star wars' based site as fbtb, it covers many other facets of LEGO geekdom (:-D
    Many of the members there are younger, but it's a well run place and there are quite a few good discussions taking place.
    Although it's not a strictly 'news' place, they often have breaking news of new sets across all themes. When I want specific information about LEGO in Switzerland/Germany/Austria, this is the site I use.
    @RJH, thanks I wasn't aware of that one, I've added it to my RSS reader. Bit of a funny combination, two totally unrelated subjects, though.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    @Huw, yep I like to be unique, both are big passions and at first I did not think it would work combining the two but the traffic is good for a 2 month old site, I already have a Google PR 3, which isn't bad. I have managed to play test a prototype boardgame for Discworld fans and LEGO send me their press releases as well.

The most important thing is I have introduced fans of LEGO to Discworld and vice versa and I have even found a bunch of AFOL who build DISCWORLD MOCS, I featured one a few weeks back in fact. Thanks for adding it to the RSS feed. The site is still very new and I look at sites like this for inspiration. :)
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    other than the ones already mentioned, one that I often visit is "Bricks Down Under", a website for those of us in Australia which keeps us up to date on the latest sales and releases in the country. There's also a new blog that I've come across - "All about bricks" - which has a lot of info on all the rumoured sets for next year.

As for "A Modular Life", I find the site quite useful as well, as I go to Singapore about once a year, so it's handy to know where to get the best deals, although in terms of latest information, it's a little behind the other major sites.
  • PerryMakesPerryMakes Member Posts: 73
    http://www.technicbricks.blogspot.com/ is a regular stop for me, but it's more of a blog than a news outlet. Still very useful for discovering "news" types stuff...
    edited September 2011
    As for "A Modular Life", I find the site quite useful as well, as I go to Singapore about once a year, so it's handy to know where to get the best deals, although in terms of latest information, it's a little behind the other major sites.
    She's been a little busy lately so the posts have been slow in coming. Earlier this year though she was posting information ahead of most of the other sites including Brickset.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    Stumbled onto www.bricktuts.com Didn't go through the whole site but was wondering if anyone here thought they are a decent Lego 'news' site? Under their 'new's link I finally got to see the box art for the upcoming Star Wars B-Wing Fighter (435 pieces and looks sweet!)
  • DunedinNZDunedinNZ Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2011
    I only read this site, and sites that are recommended from it.
    That and the official shop.lego.com site but that doesnt really count.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2011
    @LegoDad - That box art relates to the older B-Wing fighter I am afraid (6208).
    richo
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    @richo.....doh! You're right.I quickly skimmed the site late last night. Gotta' remember to not post while sleep deprived...