Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Looking for input on the Millennium Falcon

2»

Comments

• XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Would have to dig under the chocolate and other snacks to find out, because that's mostly what I hoarde in the kitchen :)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Considering I have cancer and its a rare one that is a real bitch to treat then bye bye Falcon :-)

I'm sorry to hear that... I guess since I don't know anyone who has cancer, I didn't think much of it, because I view cancer more in the general "world problem" view, rather than a personal view of someone I know.

I'm with SirKev and y2josh on this one.

Money doesn't mean all that much when you have enough of it. So I would value my Falcon and the experience from it more than I would a lump sum at market price of replaceable/deflating currency. Striving to not let money own my life, and placing joy much higher on the list of priorities. So on a normal basis, Lego > money

That is all true, and I agree with you to a point. I'm not looking to swim in money after all. :)

That being said, I look at the $2K that the Falcon was worth and I can take my kids on vacation for that money.

Well, part of it... I have sold about half of my UCS collection and that raised enough funds to take my family on vacation for a week, which I value more than the LEGO.

(the horror!)

:) So I guess I just see it as "what else can I do with the money?". I prefer the time with my family, the money enables that.

Does that make more sense?
    Furrysaurus
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 226
    Poochy said:

^^ I think everyone is just trying to tell the OP in a subtle way that the sensible thing to do would be to skip 7965 and go straight for 10179.

There's no way I'd soak that kind of cash into a 10179. I'd be more comfortable waiting for re-release.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^It only makes sense if selling was the only way possible to take the vacations. But I have a feeling you have more than a couple vacations worth in savings alone. Some people are more sensible than they are emotional about things. Which should be the right way about it, but tends to be less fun in a selfish way. Easier for me to say, since I don't have a family like yours to consider.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    It boils down to the value people put on things. Some things just have higher values than others and often can be measured in monetary terms. On the other hand, a few things are just "priceless". The criteria for this valuation can change over time depending on family, health, economy, environment, experience, etc..

Back to MF, I would rather owned 7965 than 10179 simply because I knew I would get agitated (for multiple reasons) everytime my kids touched that thing. Aggrevation over toys (lets face it, it is still a toy no matter how old you are) was just not worth it to me.

Plus, my kids love the minifigs in 7965 ;)

^^It only makes sense if selling was the only way possible to take the vacations. But I have a feeling you have more than a couple vacations worth in savings alone. Some people are more sensible than they are emotional about things. Which should be the right way about it, but tends to be less fun in a selfish way. Easier for me to say, since I don't have a family like yours to consider.

Yes, but those funds aren't for vacations. :)

Those are retirement funds... I also am working to pay my house off in the next 7 years, I want to be debt free in all respects.

So if I want to go on a vacation, I have to sell something. :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Poochy said:

^^ I think everyone is just trying to tell the OP in a subtle way that the sensible thing to do would be to skip 7965 and go straight for 10179.

Um, no. There's no way that I would recommend getting 10179 today unless you literally had money to burn.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    tensor said:

Poochy said:

Um, no. There's no way that I would recommend getting 10179 today unless you literally had money to burn.
    Interesting point, because for them to have any resale value, then someone has to buy them...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited July 2013
    I hear ya Tex and certainly understand money is not limitless and having to choose priorities. I'm on a Lego diet for now too while considering a new car and ring for the lady. So trying to limit new expenditures and considering a slim down of the lesser themes, including System scale SW. But to sell my Falcon or any of the UCS? :fingers in ears:

@Tensor I've owned 10179 for about a year now but still waiting for the perfect time to build it. However a couple weeks ago I saw it in person for first time at Billund Legoland and was completely blown away by its sheer size and impressiveness. It really is and deserves to be the crown jewel of any Lego collection. So even at the current prices, I would consider buying a used one to build and quickly sell thereafter. You get the build experience and then recoup the costs, give or take.
    edited July 2013

@Tensor I've owned 10179 for about a year now but still waiting for the perfect time to build it. However a couple weeks ago I saw it in person for first time at Billund Legoland and was completely blown away by its sheer size and impressiveness. It really is and deserves to be the crown jewel of any Lego collection. So even at the current prices, I would consider buying a used one to build and quickly sell thereafter. You get the build experience and then recoup the costs, give or take.

I couldn't agree more about the impressiveness of the model. It's unique and certainly head and shoulders above anything you set next to it (except mayyybe, the Taj Mahal - edit: nah). My point was more that I don't think it's a good investment.

Anyway, if someone saved their three hundred thousand pennies and if the Falcon was their white whale, and they put that bad boy on a pedestal in their foyer with spotlights and a chorus of angels singing, I'd be the first to "like" that photo.
  • FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Hiding in the kitchen.Member Posts: 156
    well, if anyone is on the hunt for said white whale, let me know. i grow tired of mine collecting dust in it's box. If i recall correctly, UPS will charge ~230 to pack and ship based on the last one i sold.
    ^ From where to where?
    edited July 2013
    NC to PA. i think i deleted the email to myself with prices, but it was something like 140 to ship and 70 in packing. i offered to meet him half way in richmond and skip the shipping altogether but he didn't want to go for it.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    To sell or keep? Is it need to sell or want to? All questions we can only answer ourselves depending on our own circumstances. There defiantly isn't a right and wrong.

$2000 to some is a dream. If you do have the disposable income to afford one though don't hesitate. Its wonderful.

NC to PA. i think i deleted the email to myself with prices, but it was something like 140 to ship and 70 in packing. i offered to meet him half way in richmond and skip the shipping altogether but he didn't want to go for it.

That 140 seems ultra-excessive, especially for such a short distance. Am I missing something?
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Make no mistake -- the experience of building 10179 is unparalleled as both a LEGO fan and a Star Wars fan. It takes days and is more involved than just about any build out there -- at least for your everyday builder. That experience has a definite value, and it is worth hundreds to many.

Whether there is additional value in holding onto the set for continued display or to disassemble and reassemble again some day is another question. I could see how that has more limited value for any number of reasons:
    - space to store the set
    - likelihood of actually taking the time to build it again some day
    - risk that parts disappear or break
    - balancing that cost against the other opportunities that could come with the proceeds of a sale.
    I think it is relatively easy to see why many would sell. Putting the collector's mentality aside, there may not actually be any retained value in the pile of bricks other than as an item to be resold.
    edited July 2013
    if you are, i am to. i'd like to find the original receipt as i could be totally off, but i just popped into the UPS store when i was selling it and that's what they gave me.

ah, just found it.

> The UPS Store said shipping to PA will run 140 and packing will be
    > roughly another 30.

170 total it looks like. in reality packing was 29.50 as i recall, but i figured i spent 50 cents in gas.

LFT will no doubt have some cut rate that he gets at the UPS store, but unless there's some secret in-and-out burger menu, that's what she runs.
    ^ $140 is beyond insane, he was probably paying UPS Store retail prices...

Picking out a random zip code in NC and PA, to ship from 28512 to 15122, making the box 30lbs, putting into a large 30x24x12" shipping box, insuring it for $3,000, retail UPS rates are $62.44 for that shipment. (and anyone with a UPS account can get it for 30% or more off that price)

$140 is beyond insane. If he really paid that much, that is a shame.
    Furrysaurus
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    For $140, I'd want it hand delivered by an armored truck and SWAT officers.
    i knew LFT would come through for me!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Everyone has valid points. It is all relative. One person would never spend 3k on a Lego set yet have no problem expecting others to shell out 3k for a Lego set they are selling. 1 point drop or ir gain in the DOW seems very little, but that one point is made up of 100's of millions of dollars.

if you are, i am to. i'd like to find the original receipt as i could be totally off, but i just popped into the UPS store when i was selling it and that's what they gave me.

ah, just found it.

> roughly another 30.

170 total it looks like. in reality packing was 29.50 as i recall, but i figured i spent 50 cents in gas.

LFT will no doubt have some cut rate that he gets at the UPS store, but unless there's some secret in-and-out burger menu, that's what she runs.

Yes, but you can get the $62.44 rate at UPS.com, anyone can. My rate is about 30% less than that, but anyone can get $66.44.

So the UPS store is marking it up by more than double! Wow!
    what can brown do for you? rip you off?

ah, just found it.

> roughly another 30.

Yes, but you can get the $62.44 rate at UPS.com, anyone can. My rate is about 30% less than that, but anyone can get $66.44.

So the UPS store is marking it up by more than double! Wow!
    UPS 2nd Day air is $136.50 for the same specifications as your example. I can't say why one would choose air over ground for the same delivery time. I am just saying it is not so out of the realm of possibility
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

I can't say why one would choose air over ground for the same delivery time.

Better handling?
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I have to say something is off about this set. I took it out of the shipping box tonight and the weight itself seems incredibly heavy, abnormal for a Lego set in my opinion. I still hear that magical swooshing of bricks though!
    LegoFanTexas

I have to say something is off about this set. I took it out of the shipping box tonight and the weight itself seems incredibly heavy, abnormal for a Lego set in my opinion. I still hear that magical swooshing of bricks though!

:)

It isn't really overpriced, there is a lot in the box.

Worth building, so long as you don't imagine it is more than it is.
    edited July 2013

:)

It isn't really overpriced, there is a lot in the box.

Worth building, so long as you don't imagine it is more than it is.
    Thanks to your picture, he is going to think about the super-model while building her sister :P
    "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
    piratemania7Bumblepants
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Starting with figs @pitfall69 Han Solo will be the first assembled.
    BTW, would dating Kate Upton's sister be such a bad thing? (her sister is on the left)
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Only if her resale value is, er, wait, wrong thread ...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

BTW, would dating Kate Upton's sister be such a bad thing? (her sister is on the left)

I've found it!!! It was here within Brickset the whole time. Now you can build your own.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1593-1

FurrysaurusTheLoneTensor