Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

NPR Talks LEGO

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
edited June 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Girls Legos are a Hit But Why Do Girls Need Special Legos?

Interesting that they said boys focused externally on models while girls focused internally. I always focused on both but was more inclined toward detailing internally first, reasoning that architecturally a structure might be old and plain but internally is where people dwell and modify. I must have been a strange child.

Comments

• BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Ugh, this again.

While there certainly are gender stereotypes when it comes to the marketing of toys, it is almost always marketing that's designed more to trigger the buying habits of adults than of children. My daughter is perfectly happy to play with whatever you put in front of her. She might have a preference for My Little Pony right now, but that's probably more our fault for buying them.

When she graduates beyond DUPLO, I will be buying her a variety of sets. If she asks for Friends, she will get it. If she asks for Super Heroes, she'll get that.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    I always focus externally on models, especially while they are walking down the runway... wait...oh...you are talking about Lego.
    My daughter doesn't care what she plays with.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    ^The ease of access there would terrify me. There's a good reason I put my modulars on a shelf that's five feet up.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I pull mine down for the kids to play with... Worst case senerio is I have to rebuild it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    edited June 2013
    :) Worst case scenario, the parts end up all over the house, under everything, and you never really can find them all. :)
    dneul said:

I pull mine down for the kids to play with... Worst case senerio is I have to rebuild it.

I would rethink your comments before you post them :)

Yellowcastle
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 571

:) Worst case scenario, the parts end up all over the house, under everything, and you never really can find them all. :)

And when you do find them, pieces like the Dark Blue 1x8x2 arches and Light Bluish Gray Doors have been chewed on.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369

Not really... My kids are really good with keeping my Lego together.... And if a piece did end up missing, would it really be the end of the world? Ok... So worst case senerio is that I would buy another set and then rebuild it. Anyone that actually knows me, knows that my world revolves around something Lego related everyday. But I do place a priority on the kids at times and if it means that my Lego can be touched and played with, so be it. I love those pieces of plastic and if I can do family time with Lego then I get extra mom points.

bluemodernpeterlinddk
    Ok. I posted this pic before, but not everyone has seen it. Here it goes.
    edited June 2013
    These pics are still on topic because it is obvious that not every boy or girl is the same. When my daughter was younger she was obsessed with the trans clear pieces. Now she just plays with everything.
    edited June 2013
    iccarus said:

^The ease of access there would terrify me. There's a good reason I put my modulars on a shelf that's five feet up.

Well, if you have the first 3 modulars, I guess I can understand why. Even if I had CC, GG and MS on display, I probably would still let my daughter play with them. Right now, CC and GG are sitting in sealed boxes.