Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Blog about new elements

caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
Hey folks,
I've bitten the bullet and started writing a LEGO blog; but with a bit of a different angle. It is focused on the new elements and parts coming out in the latest sets. If you're interested in that aspect of LEGO I hope you'll find it useful, exciting and inspirational!

http://www.newelementary.com/
collect_thatColoradoBricksBumblepantsdrdavewatfordleemcgJosephbinaryeyeHuwindigoboxfitzyfitzLostInTranslationsidersddSirKevbagsmessyMinifigsMeSilentModerancorbaitflowerpotgirllegoprodssamiam391EKSambricksanPenkid11aimlesspursuitsadiemcjasorPeteMDiggydoesbluemooseCapnRex101murphquakezaxter2001MolicanBrickDancerthenosstreekergifinimcarlqchromedigiklatu003kor

Comments

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    Cool beans! Just make sure you do your research before posting! Too often I see set reviews commenting on "new pieces" that are either obscure or common in other earlier themes. Looks like you're going to be a bit more professional about things, though!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Thanks @Aanchir! Indeed I'm doing what I can, but relying on what I can find out there - your extensive knowledge would be greatly appreciated so please comment on the posts if/when I get things wrong so I can fix them :)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,243
    Great job, Tim - bravo for going down an original route content-wise and providing us with something genuinely different.

I'm really enjoying your postings, so keep it up !
    caperberry
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,766
    Excellent work, really enjoyed reading through it. Consider yourself bookmarked
    caperberry
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,420
    Excellent new blog! I've bookmarked it too. My only complaint is the FULL CAPITALS USED FOR THE TITLE ;)

Additionally, I remember when I got back into Lego last year (I don't like the phrase 'dark ages' for some reason), discovering all the new pieces that have been introduced in the last 20 years. There was definitely a 'wow' factor there.
    caperberry
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,423
    Good job, Tim. Expect to see it mentioned on the home page soon.
    MinifigsMe
    Hehe @Paperballpark sorry for shouting! Seemed to come in the template I started with, but I'm used to it now so probably won't change it. Doesn't happen on the mobile version, but seem to be having other problems there with font size instead :0(

Wow that'd be awesome @Huw, thank you!!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,420
    @caperberry it's not so much the title on the page - that doesn't really bother me for some reason - it's that the title at the top of my browser window is also capitals, that's the thing bothering me. Ah well, it's not that big a deal really. :)
    Ah yeh now that irritates me too :0) Might have a look.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076
    Very cool Blog! It's easy to read and really informative!
    Maybe you consider blogging also about certain rare/old/legendary parts (for example the LBG Boat-rigging used in 10179) whenever there are no new parts to review about?
    Keep on and best of luck with the Blog,i will def.bookmark!
    P.S.:i guess you've missed this new slope in your second article: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11477
    This seems to be a pretty handy new slope ;)
    edited June 2013
    Thanks @Diggydoes! That fabulous new 1x2 bow is actually getting a post pretty much of its own soon :0) I felt it was fairly well spoken about already on forums so figured I'd wait until I had my hands on it - which happily I now do. Expect that once I've done some more playing with it!

Re the quiet periods, which i guess will be unavoidable, yes I have a few different ideas like that to keep things interesting. The rigging is a good idea, maybe in a post about the most expensive elements!
    Diggydoes
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Awesome Blog, those 45 degree roof tiles look really cool.
    Another new colored piece is the black Arch Brick 6X6X2 in #70008, it will be useful for my slave1 MOC. :-)

Thanks @rancorbait! Yeah I'm super excited about that piece too. More so the white version as I love a church MOC. So far I only have 2, from #60020, but will definitely post about it in the coming weeks. Look forward to seeing you use the black ones in Slave1!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,518
    Really interesting stuff Tim!
    caperberry
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Very, very impressive. Best of luck with it. I will visit often.

P.S. I am hoping there will be an occasional mention of a monkey. I do so like monkeys. :)
    Monkeys are funny. Not sure how to use them as NPU though...! I'll speak to my monkey advisors. Thanks @LegoMum1 I hope you enjoy the blog!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Really lovely blog Tim, and the photos really add to it! :)
    caperberry
    The monkey could be your helpful assistant - Parts Monkey!
    rancorbait

Really lovely blog Tim, and the photos really add to it! :)

You can thank @drdavewatford for suggesting more pics!

The monkey could be your helpful assistant - Parts Monkey!

Thanks, Monkey Advisor!

• bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Awesome blog and I've added it to my fans, will add it to brick fanatics recommended links page
    flowerpotgirlcaperberry
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    Great blog, now bookmarked.
    caperberry
    How often will you update it?
    Bookmarked ;-)
    caperberry

How often will you update it?

Aiming for every Monday. But dont hold me to it :0) Hope i dont run out of new elements/new ideas! There's an email subscribe function in the right column if you'd rather just be notified - or the RSS Feed.
    rancorbait
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 436
    Wonderful blog!

The slope post if my current favorite, 4 different great techniques and delightful writing style.
    caperberry
    There's an email subscribe function in the right column if you'd rather just be notified - or the RSS Feed.
    subscribed.

caperberry
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,252
    edited June 2013
    Took a quick read through and loved it. Great and informative posts.

I already feel slightly more knowledgeable about our little plastic friends.
    caperberry
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    @caperberry
    Great title:-) ( fan of Sherlock Holmes) :-)) Very informative blog, loved reading about the roof tile and some great illustrations. The bows and new clip lights...I see some new Lego cars in my daughter's collection. :-))
    caperberry
    @caperberry- Where did you get that clear baseplate in the pics?
    BTW I love your mini rocket :-)
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    @caperberry Excellent blog. Looking forward to every post and of course every new piece in the latest sets.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,766
    I am in a love/hate relationship with your blog now. I love reading it and learning what sets the parts come in but I hate it because now I want to buy stuff like Stephanie's Car and the Croc Hideout just to have cool new parts. As if my wanted list wasn't long enough already.

@caperberry- Where did you get that clear baseplate in the pics?
    BTW I love your mini rocket :-)

Oh cool thanks for the rocket love! Wasn't really sure about it.
    Baseplate - came in the Mosaic sets, 2007 I think? Should be available on BrickLink?

I am in a love/hate relationship with your blog now. I love reading it and learning what sets the parts come in but I hate it because now I want to buy stuff like Stephanie's Car and the Croc Hideout just to have cool new parts. As if my wanted list wasn't long enough already.

I guess I am guilty as charged there. Sorry...!
    Yeeeey, i´ve got mentioned namely in the soon-to-be-super-blog :)
    Keep up the great work @caperberry! Hope that a lot of people frequent your page, it´s pretty awesome and more than interesting!
    You so got namechecked :O)
    There seems to be a lot reading it, thanks! Seen links from France, Portugal, Hong Kong... unbelievable! That's the Brickset Effect again...
    Glad to be of assistance :-)
    caperberrymurphquake
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Need a few hours to read the Blog up as it is that cool (y) great job @caperberry!
    caperberry
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,270
    Great blog @caperberry. It is wonderful to see such a unique twist on the standard blog and I look forward to reading some more. Your little models are excellent by the way, particularly the white rocket you created using ice cream cones, trans-clear 'donut' rings and white 1x2 bows. So much NPU! Actually, speaking of NPU, you may wish to add that to your glossary.

If I could offer any 'constructive' (boy am I on form today) criticism then I would suggest you might like to include a logo or something of that sort to add a splash of colour to your main page.
    caperberryrancorbait
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,949
    I really like your new blog, but every time I read it I do start to wonder how you find the time to do it all!
    caperberry
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,270
    @paul_merton - By writing at 4:20am by the looks of it!
    caperberry
    Posted on 1000steine.de (German Lego-forum)! Hope you'll get more visitors from Germany soon besides me ;)
    SirKevbags
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 93
    Great blog! Like you, I get oddly excited when new elements are released. I normally check the new parts page on Brickset, but somehow this little fella passed me by: http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=6028812. So I got a nice little surprise when 2 of them turned up in my new AT-TE. Looking forward to your thoughts on this one.
    Looks useful doesn't it @pvp3020? I have some to play with, but yet to fashion anything into a post.
    Diggydoes said:

Posted on 1000steine.de (German Lego-forum)! Hope you'll get more visitors from Germany soon besides me ;)

Wonderful, thank you! 130 visitors from 100steine already!
    Diggydoes
    Sorry to bump my own thread in blatant self-promotion, but... I've set up Facebook and Twitter profiles so you can subscribe to The New Elementary on those channels, if that's how you like to catch up with your LEGO news.

http://twitter.com/NewElementary

http://www.facebook.com/NewElementary
    If using Facebook and you want all my updates (one or maybe two a week at the moment) to come up in your newsfeed, you need to do a bit more than just Like the page - after liking, hover over "Liked" and click "Get Notifications". (This is the same situation as for any Facebook page you Like, by the way.)
    I have just started building 8635 (a very cool set with a fab box (and I'm not one for boxes usually), and I've only just built the minifigs and small vehicles so far - but I digress) and I've come across this neat part I've never seen before:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=50967&in=S

Not sure it's an especially useful part but I thought it was interesting, hence have mentioned it (and have given you a free bump Tim ;-))

caperberry
    Lucy, show some loyalty! The correct URL for referring to that part is http://www.brickset.com/parts/search/?query=50967
    caperberryLostInTranslationrancorbaitplasmodiumMrBerrecarlq
    Oops :-)
    And here's me being one of the team, eh @jasor? ;-)
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @LostInTranslation HAHA! well played :P
    It's a beautiful part (I have a thing about arches) but sadly I don't have many of them. Must pop it on the Wanted List...
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    Ah, the Brick 1x8 w/bow arch piece. A staple of the typical 1:17 scale car, both official Lego (look at the Ferrari line) and MOC. Had to find six black ones for my Hypership MOC, my god they're rare in Britain, I think I bought up a lot of the stock! (This was about 4 months ago though :-P)

I've had some experience of using this particular part on my MOC'ed Bugatti Veyron. They are just the right piece for wheel arches on non-minifig scale cars. Shame they're getting scarce I guess.