Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Combining multiple speedorz

CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,687
edited June 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Has anyone had a go at combining multiple speedorz in one model and got them to work smoothly? I've been trying to get two or three attached together on on 2x10 or so plate. Two are quite easy to pull the strips but boy do they jump about when you put them on the floor. Three can be started together if you put the pull strips through a long technic bar. I assume the jumping is due to the flywheels rotating at slightly different speeds. So has anyone managed to combine two or more together in a larger model and got them to work in a stable way? I've also tried them in an anti-parallel arrangement to get a model to spin but get a similar jumpy problem.

Comments

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I haven't combined them to run the same direction. But I have tried making a two-wheeled vehicle with two mounted inline. Unfortunately, the rip-cord action doesn't work so well because of the added weight. However I didn't try a Technic bar, as you suggested, to achieve two rip cords at once. With two flywheels inline, the potential variation in speed might not cause the same problem you had.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,687
    I forgot to post an update on this. One way I found to combine them was to make a three or four wheeled vehicle, powering two of them. Having two (pull-)powered wheels at the back and one at the front works, but the back wheels have to be pointing forwards, which means adding extra bricks/plates to do this. So four wheeled vehicle with two wheels at the front which are powered up, with two dummy wheels at the back to maintain direction seems to work well.

Once a car is built up, they obviously don't go as fast / far as a regular speedorz, but we've had decent sized 6"x3" cars going maybe 5m or so.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    That's a really cool idea. Especially with about 15 different Speedorz out now! And rhinos, bears, and beavers probably still to come.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,687
    I've been doing it without the animal parts, just using the generic wheel parts covering them with plates and wheel arches and so on.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    PICS!! =-)
    icey117