Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

dessyoxo: Looking for advice on best way to sell a large collection of LEGO

dessyoxodessyoxo Shropshire, UKMember Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Frustratingly my Lego habit has taken a nose dive this year with very little new purchases, and it's getting to the point where I may have to consider selling the lot to get by for the rest of the year. I imagine others have been in similar situations these past few years.
But before I make a decision I know i will regret for the rest of my life, what is the best way to do it? Sell it all in one big go, or break it down and sell the pieces? and which site? eBay or Bricklink or another elsewhere.
I'm not after offers just yet but to get an idea on what I may look to get rid of my list is here on Brickset.
I feel I will have to sell it all, as if I start picking and choosing what I want to keep I'll sell nothing and be in exactly the same place, so its all or nothing really.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Dessyoxo

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Sorry to hear of the life challenges... hope it gets better for you...

Just a thought... some of those sets are retired and now expensive, others are current and, frankly, you really should keep them if you can, sell once retired.

Those just off the top of my head are all current and you'll take a heck of a loss trying to sell them now.

Sell those, they are all retired, some longer than others, but you'll get close to RRP for them, some of them will do better than RRP, even used.

Just my thoughts... best of luck!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,082
    To get the maximum price for it, sell some of the more sought-after sets separately - #10193, #10219, #10199, #10216, that kind of thing.

After that, you could try asking on here for who wants what etc, but I suspect it'll depend on what condition they're in, how much they've been used, whether the polybags have been opened etc. etc. Some of the sets no-one will be bothered about, and you may have to lump them together into one big lot on ebay.

As I say though, certainly the exclusives you shouldn't have any problem selling. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone offering in this thread to buy the MMV and Maersk Train from you.

• dessyoxodessyoxo Shropshire, UKMember Posts: 5
    Thanks for the comments, gives me a lot to think about.
    Cheers
    Dessyoxo
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    After looking at the sets you have, which is really no small collection you could go one of a few ways. eBay it all on auction which might take considerable less amount of time but your return for cash might fluctuate. Bricklink probably is the best in terms of giving you the flexibility to part out sets or just sell them as is. You have a price point and go from there but the length of time it takes to sell might rise a little. I can without question almost guarantee that it you posted anything in this thread particularly exclusives as mentioned above you wouldn't have a problem selling quickly and for the value of the set.