Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Lord of the Rings new set: 10237 The Tower of Orthanc

123457»

Comments

• LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    legoprods said:

And there you go. Listed in Shop at Home for VIP's with early access. Plus an extra LoTR poster.

I think a limited edition lego map of middle earth scroll wouldve been a better idea than a poster
    cardgeniusicey117Si_UKNZ
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited June 2013
    VIP's being allowed to get the set early is great, and nice gesture, but I probably won't. Now, if they offered something more than a poster (I generally don't care for them.) I might get the set early. As it stands I'll probably get it on Amazon, and hopefully for 10-20% off.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    I remember getting the winter village cottage early last year too. Nothing too special, so I remember saying I wouldnt jump on anything again like that. Plus I want to wait until I get double points or something of equal signficance for putting out this much money.
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    We'll see how well it holds up to a barrage of X-Wing fire....
    piratemania7
    skeet318 said:

We'll see how well it holds up to a barrage of X-Wing fire....

For that price they better come up with a new UCS model to challenge it!

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448

I remember getting the winter village cottage early last year too. Nothing too special, so I remember saying I wouldnt jump on anything again like that. Plus I want to wait until I get double points or something of equal signficance for putting out this much money.

Yeah, I'm excited about the set, am very glad that LEGO came out with it, and will definitely buy it. And, it is exciting to get something when it first comes out. Whether it be a video game, LEGO set or whatever. But, I don't have to have it now. Although it's a great set I don't see it flying off the shelf, so I'm thinking a better deal can be had later. I'll wait.

• HavocsanHavocsan Member Posts: 15
    Mine just arrived :) It looks awesome from the box. Can't wait to get started but I have to save it for my 40th on tuesday :/
    andhe
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    I just picked it up yesterday and now must decide whether to get the Orc Forge or not. According to S&H the Orc Forge is "Retiring Soon" so that may be the deciding factor in its favor.
  • ryanromusicryanromusic Member Posts: 27

I just picked it up yesterday and now must decide whether to get the Orc Forge or not. According to S&H the Orc Forge is "Retiring Soon" so that may be the deciding factor in its favor.

IMO the Orce Forge is fabulous set. The build is nice, the overall design is cool, and the action features are well done. The light-up function gives it an eerie glow in low light. I wouldn't have minded one or two more orcs but it's a terrific set and nothing too expensive.

Received a gift card to LEGO for my birthday and we just got a brand store five minutes from my apartment. Little broke right now, but I like the july hot dog cart promotion. Pick it up in a month hopefully!

When is double VIP? Next one usually in October? Meh. Don't feel like waiting that long. =)

timinchicago
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    If you pick one up in-store be sure to remind them about the poster. I almost forgot and didn't get one.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    I picked up my Tower on Monday and spent most of that night building it. It's an absolutely stunning piece when it's finished.
    It, like the orc forge, has a light-up function which lights up a globe in the building (sorry, not completely familiar with LOTR terms :-P).
    It's not a difficult build until you get to the fourth or fifth floor though, then suddenly a load of wobbly connections pop up that you need patience for. Don't worry, they're rock solid once the building is finished.
    Did I mention that it has the new 3x3 plate... in dark bluish gray!
    Overall: impressed.
    piratemania7BrickDancericey117Andor
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,641
    ^ The word you are "looking" for is Palantir.
    binaryeyeicey117Andor
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    ^ Thankyou, I knew I'd seen the term somewhere in the shop description, I just couldn't think of it when I wrote that brief review :-)
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 275
    Mine arrived yesterday ... going to have to buy a new tablecloth before I can build it though as black on black isn't working :(
    Kanohi
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    I finished this a few days ago, this set is awesome and is truly great to display, I've also found a good way to keep the eagle perched over the edge (it hasn't fallen off yet and it requires no extra pieces), the only thing I got upset about was whilst I was carrying the set to my display shelf I dropped the ent, luckily its ok now, I am also very happy with the promotions with this set :-D
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Just picked it up today. Very excited to build it, but very disappointed that the store didn't have any Jor-El figures. :( They still had the promotional displays for the figure too. No idea they didn't have it until they had already checked me out and I asked about it. Big bummer for me, as that's why I bought it this month. I would have gone to a different store or ordered online if I had known, since online they still have it. Partly my fault for not asking first, but I have never had a Lego store run out of their free gifts before. It would have been a big hassle if I had them return it, since I used a coupon and VIP points to bring it don to $165 after tax. I wrote an email to Customer Service to see if they could do anything, but not hoping for anything.
  • Try001Try001 Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    Hi guys (and gals) I did a time lapse video (note time lapse and not stop motion ..... And also apologies for the music & also it's over 8 mins long) so take a look. feel free to share if you wish!
    margotalijoezac
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    Anyone buy two of these yet? Does it work out that it looks right with two back to back?
    @try001 wow!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    graphite said:

Anyone buy two of these yet? Does it work out that it looks right with two back to back?

I haven't began to 'fix' it yet, but I can tell you that two back to back won't look right at all. Buying a second set is going to give you more than enough parts to properly finish the set... but you're going to have to do some pretty heavy modification at the base and below the spire... and probably at every floor for the sake of stability.

Additionally, because of the tapered effect, there's no real way to make hinges work, so you won't be able to get a Haunted House style structure here. I'm planning on using Technic pins so the back third will hopefully be able to snap into place, but if you've tried your hand at correcting any of the other LotR sets, I would say this one's going to be much more difficult to get 'right.'
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    @y2josh

That's so disappointing to hear :/
    My wallet is relieved though.
  • RastRast Member Posts: 111
    Mine is getting taller! :)
    I think you would have to rebuild it from the base if you wanted a full building.
    Between this and ewok village oh and the HE and MF and winter village exclusive I still have to purchase this year I should just get a second job!
  • myoultonmyoulton UKMember Posts: 28
    Have mine now ready to build after it got delivered to the wrong address. Luckily the very nice man from down the road brought it round today or else I'd have been trying to convince TLG customer services that I hadn't received it and to be honest I probably wouldn't believe me on this one.
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2013
    Truly an awesome set to build and display. Definitely in my top 3 of all time, but we are LoTR junkies so I might be biased. My son helped out with most of the build so we took our time and didn't rush through it and really had a good time building it. Bought it on Monday and finished last night.

We really hope this isn't the last of the LoTR sets to be made. Any word if there's gonna be another run of sets next year? And for a size reference, the Ent is 9.75" tall.
    legomattAndor
  • dustinmrobertsdustinmroberts Member Posts: 35
    I just finished building mine as well - it really is an awesome set (and a great display piece!) On a separate note, does anyone know why the minifigures aren't listed here on Brickset for this set? They're not listed on the product page, nor are they in the minifigure collection page.

Thanks!
    edited June 2013

We really hope this isn't the last of the LoTR sets to be made. Any word if there's gonna be another run of sets next year?

I think the general sentiment (which is completely unsupported by any actual evidence provided by TLG, keep in mind) is that there's likely to be one more wave of sets next summer and that the line is probably finished once the Hobbit movies are done.

Personally, I think the best case scenario is that there's a fourth wave in 2015 while the final Hobbit film is still 'fresh,' but even that seems like a longshot. I've obviously been critical of the models in the theme thus far, so I can't imagine I'll be bothered by the relatively short life of the theme in that regard, but I am going to be pretty bummed if that final wave doesn't feature the key characters that they've neglected to this point (specifically Eowyn and the Witch King, but Faramir and Sauron would be nice to have as well).
    Everyone seems to be impressed by this set and fairly so. Can I get anyone's perspective on how tall this is? Not sure if I should jump on this next or the HE and MF???
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Just finished. Started last night and finished today. What a fun build. My wife has built all the modulars we have, so this was really the first huge set I've built other than the newer Millennium Falcon. It looks wonderful. It looks a lot bigger in our apartment than It did in the store. XD It's almost 2 feet tall. I have it next to our Daily Bugle and it towers over that, taller than 2 of those stacked together.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 629

On a separate note, does anyone know why the minifigures aren't listed here on Brickset for this set? They're not listed on the product page, nor are they in the minifigure collection page.

I believe that's a result of the fact that Brickset sources its minifig data from bricklink; thus since bricklink has no inventory for the set yet, Brickset has no minifig data.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Picked this up on the weekend. No time to build it yet but the box itself is impressive enough. Need to pick up an extra black gate set or two...

Everyone seems to be impressed by this set and fairly so. Can I get anyone's perspective on how tall this is? Not sure if I should jump on this next or the HE and MF???

It's just under two and a half feet tall.
    piratemania7
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    y2josh said:

We really hope this isn't the last of the LoTR sets to be made. Any word if there's gonna be another run of sets next year?

I think the general sentiment (which is completely unsupported by any actual evidence provided by TLG, keep in mind) is that there's likely to be one more wave of sets next summer and that the line is probably finished once the Hobbit movies are done.

Personally, I think the best case scenario is that there's a fourth wave in 2015 while the final Hobbit film is still 'fresh,' but even that seems like a longshot. I've obviously been critical of the models in the theme thus far, so I can't imagine I'll be bothered by the relatively short life of the theme in that regard, but I am going to be pretty bummed if that final wave doesn't feature the key characters that they've neglected to this point (specifically Eowyn and the Witch King, but Faramir and Sauron would be nice to have as well).
    Yeah, the Witch King on a Fell-Beast with Eowyn would be awesome. And I really, really hope they do a Sauron.
    icey117
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    I bet Sauron is already designed and they're just waiting for the perfect moment to release probably the most anticipated minifig of the theme. Maybe a large minifig in a set and a normal one in a poly.
  • bluedragonbluedragon PortugalMember Posts: 506
    Rast said:

Mine is getting taller! :)
    I think you would have to rebuild it from the base if you wanted a full building.

Missing Brick has posted a full tower MOD at Eurobricks (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83177).

Impressive work!
    Legoboyy2josh
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    That is nicely done.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Curious that this set is no longer listed on Lego.com
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Isn't it still a VIP thing?
    Deadareus
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    Renny said:

Isn't it still a VIP thing?

Yes until June 30th but then on July 1st its available to all

Deadareus
    I'm slowly being convinced to buy this set...the darkness of mordor settling in around me.......
    Andor
  • smillattsmillatt Member Posts: 39

Truly an awesome set to build and display. Definitely in my top 3 of all time, but we are LoTR junkies so I might be biased. My son helped out with most of the build so we took our time and didn't rush through it and really had a good time building it. Bought it on Monday and finished last night.

We really hope this isn't the last of the LoTR sets to be made. Any word if there's gonna be another run of sets next year? And for a size reference, the Ent is 9.75" tall.

Very impressive...not a shade on this chap's home made version (standing at 8 foot and still going....)