Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] BOGO50% at Toys R Us

ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
edited June 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
Not sure if anyone else noticed but toys r us is holding a bogo50 sale.

Went there yesterday and got 2 of set #9095 Nitro predator, 2 fireboat poly's, 2 series 7, 2 series 9 figures, and 2 surfer rescue sets.

Comments

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Seems like there was a lot excluded online.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Note: Attack on Weathertop is on sale for $5 less than RRP. So that is a particularly good set to pick up (I paired mine with the Black Gate).
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 545
    When I clicked the link I thought the prices were Canadian. I can't believe the mark ups at tru USA.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    Weathertop is actually a really good price.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited June 2013
    Agreed, that is a very good price for a set that is retired if you buy 2 or pair it up.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    Jonn420 said:
    so wait, You are telling me that I can buy TWO black gates for the low low price of $105 instead of walking into the LEGO store and buying two of them for the full MSRP of $100 ? Where do I sign up?!?!?!?!

;-)

When I clicked the link I thought the prices were Canadian. I can't believe the mark ups at tru USA.

Black gate is 40% over RRP. insane
    That's not true. It was $10 higher, which is like 16%.
    49.99 rrp marked up to $69.99 is a 40% markup
  • pumbaughpumbaugh Member Posts: 23
    where do you see it for 49.99?
    Exactly. RRP for Battle at the Black Gate is $59.99.
    Oops. My mistake, it is 59.99 rrp. Not sure why I thought it was the other

In any case, the markup still sucks
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    So, with the markup and then the discount you could get the BG for $52.50 if you bought 2 or go something else for $70. $52.50 is a good price for a new set. Not a great price, but good. I'm thinking around 20-25% off to be a great price.
    ^ I agree. I totaled up the price of the Black Gate and Weathertop with the discount, weighed it against the likelihood of seeing Weathertop elsewhere and wanting Black Gate now, and determined that the $23 (19%) that I would save over RRP for both sets made it a pretty good deal for a new set and a set that could be EOL.

Could I have gotten Weathertop for less months ago? Probably. Will I be able to get Black Gate for less in the future? Yes. But this was an opportunity to get both at a reasonable discount, hedge against risk on Weathertop and get the brand new Black Gate set now. Plus Black Gate was available for pickup at my local store so I can play with it this weekend :). (I may keep Weathertop aside to see whether it appreciates.)

I did toy with the idea of getting Elrond instead, but the Black Gate combo resulted in better savings.
    TheLoneTensor
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    ^I couldn't agree more. 20% (19 is close enough) is my threshold for picking up any set that I really want.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    My local TRU is selling #79111 Constitution Train Chase at MSRP. I got 2 for $150 +tax after BOGO50, lowest I have seen for this set. YMMV of course
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ $120 at mine, sigh.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,642
    The reason why no one said much of anything about this BOGO is TRU's BOGO are now a joke..
    It is RARE to find sets at an RRP during a BOGO at a TRU, Im not saying it can never happen but it is rare
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    ^ And all the good stuff is now excluded...

If the big sets, or Technic, or anything worth buying, was included... then we'd all care.

But clearly TRU is not selling to us, they are selling to uninformed parents who think, "oh, a sale, I better buy something".

A fool and his money... :)
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited June 2013
    ^Agree, it's really a bummer that much of what I would actually want is excluded(such as Palace Cinema) and/or that sets I want are so far above MSRP that I'd feel ripped off even with the BOGO 50 sale.

I'm really trying to find an excuse to hand over some $$ to TRU currently, but due to their ridiculousness, I simply can't find one!
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

The reason why no one said much of anything about this BOGO is TRU's BOGO are now a joke..
    It is RARE to find sets at an RRP during a BOGO at a TRU, Im not saying it can never happen but it is rare

Thing is depending on exactly how high the marked up price is, if it's still a 'on the market item', and/or what item you pair it up with, it can still be a really good bargain.

From what I was seeing, the smaller sets/items are really worth it like certain polybags, the CMFs, etc but larger sets(MSRP 29.99 or higher) seem to be a big question mark. For me, it was worth it.

I got 2 of the racers on bogo50 which would put it just a little bit more expensive then the cheapest BL set but I traded Shipping costs for tax.

The 2 surfer rescue sets($7.50 at TRU) are something I've checked at 4 walmarts and a target for over the past week or so and no luck.

the 2 polybags were above retail but bogo50 brought that down plus they are so worth it even as part packs.

and I got 2 series 7 and 2 series 10 figures on bogo50 and since they were only .50 above retail, they were worth it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,642
    edited June 2013
    ^-- Like I said, rare but can happen, until TRU realizes they are not bilking people enough on the sets that people feel there is a good deal.
    I have found occasional deals even at markups using a combination of rewards dollars and 20% coupons (on non BOGO sales that is) but for the most part BOGOs for TRU are a waste of time now, I mean it does not stop me from being hopeful and checking when a sale occurs but the really considered 'desirable' sets are either not part of the BOGO (as they are in TRU's 'Hard to find' section-which are always omitted from sales of any kind, or Technic, which is rarely part of BOGOs), or they are overpriced dramatically.. and I do not count Polybags or CMFs on sale as really worthwhile.
    Plus it is a YMMV situation for availability (and sometime prices for that matter) as paying shipping on such sets via online renders the whole exercise pointless IMO.

The biggest laugh-er was seeing the Palace Cinema 'on sale' at TRUs site for 'only' 150 from its 'RRP' of 180 I think it was
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 126

Remember last summer when TRU started a BOGO on a Sunday morning and forgot to raise their prices from the prior week's discount promotion? They fixed the glitch a couple hours into the sale. Getting BOGO on sub RRP pricing at TRU was highly satisfying.
  • ElamaretteElamarette Member Posts: 3
    Next weeks ToysRUs ad (June 23-29) has 2 for $5 on all Lego Minifigures.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 808
    They're cheaper now with the B1G1 50% off now....or should I say the 15th thru the 22nd.
    got my shipment today. what a ridiculous packing job - worst I have ever seen. 4 weathertops were shipped in a box big enough to hold a bicycle. this thing was over 3 feet long, 18 inches wide, and 30 inches tall. what's worse, it contained NO packing materials of any kind. Oh, and it came on the doorstep OPEN. yep, the entire top of the box had come undone. you could have packed about 15 or more weathertops in this thing.

naturally, all 4 were beat to heck.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^ Wow, that sounds terrible.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    My 4 Weathertops showed up today as well...

Not that large of a box, but way too tall and narrow, with the opening on the smallest side.

The box was beat up, the Weathertops actually were ok, but only via luck, since there was no protection and they were snug inside the box.

I really hate TRU shipping, if I didn't have a store 3 minutes away to do returns/exchanges, I wouldn't buy from them at all.
    yeah, exchange is where im heading now...
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    TRU near me has series 8, 9 and 10 this week for the minifig deal. I thought that was pretty cool. Saw a few open and empty minifig packs... a spilled ice cream cup from the Chinese buffet next door, and an open lego shellraiser. The chocolate ice cream was all over the floor and shelf and "people" were walking right through it, tracking ice cream down the isle.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,789
    mrseatle said:

Saw a few open and empty minifig packs... a spilled ice cream cup from the Chinese buffet next door, and an open lego shellraiser. The chocolate ice cream was all over the floor and shelf and "people" were walking right through it, tracking ice cream down the isle.

As annoying as that sounds, part of the blame has to go to the store manager that lets it happen.

• sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    The Palace Cinema was part of the BOGO for the first two days at the $150 price, but it went out of stock in the first 5 minutes of the sale (while I was trying to buy it :-( ) and never came back. The Cars Tokyo Speedway set was on clearance, though, for $60, so I got two of them for the price of one. I haven't seen a half off of LEGO at TRU since the above mentioned glitch last year.