Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display your assembled LEGO sets?

Comments

• CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I really loved the idea @throttleon has shown us. But, I am worried about the dust. I guess this setup needs a dust proof environment as cleaning such a spread seems like a big big hassle. Then you cannot have kids running around the house with open shelves. My dilemma :(
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    I'm not looking for slot wall or glass fixtures, minifig displays, or nothing fancy. I thought maybe like an acrylic basketball cube would work but I don't think it is big enough for what us old timers call "baseplates". I'd be interested in something cheap, but nothing fancy. I like my set up in my basement, just hate spending days dusting.
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    @romdam I don't recall where I saw it mentioned, perhaps on of the posts linked earlier by Yellowcastle but I remember seeing a comment by someone who purchased plexiglass cases for their sets/creations, they tended to be fairly expensive. Be ready to be spending more for the cases than what you put in them is the way I read the comment about them and their cost.

@throttleon that's a fabulous setup for set display purposes, it'd be harder to do a full on MOC layout but that's not what you need. It looks like it works quite well, I also like the lack of UV light allowing windows, the whole setup looks just great, your son is very lucky.

@aplbomr79 another Twin Citian, interesting.
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    Well I could get a 10 x 10 5 sided acrylic case for $16. I figured the cases for model cars are $6. I have stuff from the 80's so I'm sure what would be going in would be worth more than the case.
  • JDMcultureJDMculture Member Posts: 1
    Most of my son's collection is on display in his lego room. The room is about 22' x 14' in size but we put slat wall on the walls so we can change the shelving as needed. He currently has about 375 to 400 sets on display (actually about 20 to 30 are on the floor being played with at any one time). Slat wall is great for displaying stuff. I have attached some pictures we took awhile ago, since then we have added more shelving and of course.....more sets.
    "GREAT JOB" If I don't end up building my Formula paddock area which is estimate at a 10x20 Display area, I will strongly think of using your room & shelving idea.

• CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    I've read the thread on storing LEGO numerous times and find it a great place to pick up ideas, but what I'm really trying to get a handle on for 2013 is utilizing space for LEGO display. Hopefully this hasn't been covered in depth before and I've somehow missed it.

So how do you guys and gals display or showcase your collections? Tabletop, Bookshelves, Display Cases? Do you switch sets out on a semi-regular basis, or do the displays keep multiplying and pushing out less interesting household decor?

I'm really interested to see how others have dealt with this, and hopefully it'll help me get organized for 2013!
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    Anything that would look good hung up (spaceships and planes etc.), hang up! I hang many of my flying models up from beneath shelves and wall mounted cabinets (and occasionally the ceiling), and then store any non-flying models, or sets I just do not have room to suspend, in the cabinets or on the shelves. As well as looking great, it saves a huge amount of space and creates a really dynamic display. I usually separate the Minifigures from the sets and put them in a display case with other figures of the same theme, but sometimes I leave pilots and crew on board their respective vehicles or in buildings if I think it will make the model look a bit more lively.

I think there have been a couple of other discussions about this, but I do not believe they have been very active of late.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    edited December 2012
    For built sets, I use several wall mounted shelves. I also have the top of some media shelves and an audio rack that offer good display space. I also have a single tall glass-enclosed display case (from Ikea) that I use for some of my more permanent or dust-prone collectibles.

I've got picks here and here.

My room pales in comparison to some of those I've seen on here, but I make use of the space I have as best I can.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited December 2012
    Crownie said:

Hopefully this hasn't been covered in depth before and I've somehow missed it.

That depends on your definition of the word, this thread is for displaying large collections, but probably the most similar. Also, if you want some more specific advice, these threads might help:
    Also:
    How do you display flying ships / mini figures
    How do you display your mini figures and
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/5921/how-do-you-display-modular-houses-buildings

That should cover most of them :-).
    BrickDanceratkinsar
  • legofan421legofan421 Banned Posts: 15
    I build my sets and then I display them on several book shelves I have.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    So far I'm only doing modulars. Normally they're stored on bookshelves, but occasionally we put a leaf in the dining table and arange the town on there.
  • EnglishbobEnglishbob Member Posts: 24
    I'd be interested to know how you're suspending your ships Capnrex. I' ve thought about using fishing wire & thumbtacks but worry at the thought of them crashing down in a gazillion mixed up pieces. Any pics ?
  • legofan421legofan421 Banned Posts: 15

Anything that would look good hung up (spaceships and planes etc.), hang up! I hang many of my flying models up from beneath shelves and wall mounted cabinets (and occasionally the ceiling), and then store any non-flying models, or sets I just do not have room to suspend, in the cabinets or on the shelves. As well as looking great, it saves a huge amount of space and creates a really dynamic display. I usually separate the Minifigures from the sets and put them in a display case with other figures of the same theme, but sometimes I leave pilots and crew on board their respective vehicles or in buildings if I think it will make the model look a bit more lively.

I think there have been a couple of other discussions about this, but I do not believe they have been very active of late.

I don't recommend trying to hang sets from the ceiling. I had a friend who displayed his gunship (set 7676) by hanging it from the ceiling. It one day fell from the ceiling and hit him on the head. He needed 8 stitches close the gash the gunship gave him (and he had to rebuild it).
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 828
    I build my sets, I then display most of them around the house because just one room cannot store all of my lego, I then have a few shelfs and I store them by themes or size, my shelves are either made out of wood or plastic but all I can say is I need a bigger house and more shelves :-( aswell as more lego.
    Thank you for those links, @Joseph. It's amazing how much information is available on these message boards. Really great.

(And regarding the fishing line idea - I don't own any LEGO ships, but if I did I might avoid hanging them for the time being. Yikes to stitches. That must've been fun to explain to the Minor Emergency Doc.)
    legofan421
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    edited December 2012
    Hanging sets is fine as long as the anchor to the ceiling is as strong as the fishing line. Drawing pins/thumb tacks won't cut it, they'll just drop out withan applied load. I use small "cup hooks" which have a coarse threaded screw on the end. These bite into the plasterboard of your ceiling for a secure fixing. I have still only hung my system sized fighters in this way. I wouldn't put up anything heavier than 500g per hook used.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    Having a Death Star looking ceiling light would really add to the look of the ceiling with Ties and X-wings zooming around it.
    CrownieMasterLego
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    edited December 2012
    @Englishbob - No pictures at the moment, I might take some when I get a new camera (the old one 'expired'). The largest set I have hung up is the Sopwith Camel which is supported by eight lengths of sea fishing wire from a shelf. The wire itself is almost unbreakable without wire cutters and the wire is wound around screws which I then drilled into the shelf at the anchor points. Personally, I think that is about as large a set as I would risk hanging up, it is not exceedingly heavy, and anything more might be too much for the anchors, I would not risk hanging up a Gunship, that's for sure. The only sets I hang from the ceiling are the very smallest ones like Jedi Starfighters etc. which with a couple of bits of fishing wire are easily supported. I anchor those up there with staples (which are actually quite easy to remove without damaging the ceiling at all). However, that is a slight risk and perhaps not one worth taking. Touch wood, I have had no sets fall so far and I started hanging them in 2010.

Just placing sets on shelves or in cabinets is by far the safest option!
  • WallaceWallace Member Posts: 134
    Mine and my fiancés collection is displayed in cabinets and shelves in our 'Lego room'

That should actually read kids playroom, but it's painted in Lego colours, with cushions that spell out Lego, with Lego posters and minifigures on display etc etc so I say Lego room, kids say playroom lol
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I don’t have a large amount of space for displaying yet (Lego Room to come at some point). This is it for me as far as displaying at the moment.

Current Lego Display

Just Yesterday I finished de-constructing the Tower Bridge so I could fit the Fire Brigade and a couple of others. I do have an every growing number of sets I have yet to build due to lack of display space.
    CrownieMasterLegoAdeelZubair
    @Basta - It looks good. Striking a balance between attractive decorating and clutter can be a challenge with the amount of models most of us seem to have, lol.

Do you have a favorite set that's on display there?

And is that the Sopwith Camel on the far bookshelf? That's actually really cool looking - somehow seeing the pictures on LEGOs site never made it very enticing to me.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 140
    I managed to find a good balance between attractive decorating and clutter (that pleased my wife), by using the Modulars as book ends and section dividers. See how many you can find in here!

@crownie the Modulars look really cool, but as they are my wifes domain I have not actually built one. The plane is the Sopwith Camel and is one of my all time favourite builds, the working Yoke and flaps is really well done and it looks great too. If you have not got it I would suggest you do :)
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Most of mine are on my 4x15' Lego train layout. Ill post pics later.
    I really like that, @SparkyHam. I love my books almost as much as my LEGO, so it's a perfect combination of the two. Just a nice place to get lost in.

:-)

(And excluding the other sets, I counted 6 modular-style buildings.)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,003
    Very nice. I love those blue doors.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,112
    ^^I think you've accidently blocked yourself in though.
    atkinsarslovakiasteph
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited June 2013
    ^^ Those are clear glass doors that have LED lights behind them, they can cycle through 8 colours.

^ I cheated a bit, those photos are actually of opposite ends of the room. Safe to say I can escape the room, although I rarely want to.
    andhejasor
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Fantastic work Andy. I see house bashing electrical work doesn't improve ;-)

And where are the action shots of you paying @kempo81 in polys? "Skim another wall and I'll give you new (slightly crinkled) TC-14"
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,804
    Nice! Are those boxes at the end empty, or sets you haven't yet built?
    edited June 2013
    You've just reminded me Kev, Brickset member and all round good guy @kempo81 did the majority of the structural work for this room, e.g. studwork and plasterboarding etc. If you want something similar doing and don't have the skills (like me) or time (like most of us) to do it yourself, give him a shout - UK only I suspect unless you're willing to pay travel expenses :-)
    SirKevbagsandheindigobox
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Oh, that’s just gorgeous, Andy. I’ll have to steal your design ideas for the Lego Room in my next house....probably in about 2025, but oh well...! ;-)

Nice! Are those boxes at the end empty, or sets you haven't yet built?

They are sets yet to be built, I'm slowly getting through them, although it's fair to say some will never get built, in which case I'll probably end up selling them (City - I'm looking at you!).
    carlq said:

Oh, that’s just gorgeous, Andy. I’ll have to steal your design ideas for the Lego Room in my next house....probably in about 2025, but oh well...! ;-)

Happy to help with designs Carl as and when needed, I actually designed it all using SketchUp first, here's the original design:

LEGO Room Project

I stayed fairly true to it, although I had to ditch the double width units on the left-hand side, the reality was that it made the room look way too crowded.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,003
    It does look like it needs a till to make it complete. Maybe time for a MOC?
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    Lovely Andy, but isn't the desk facing the wrong way? I suppose you can just launch yourself down the room on the swivel chair to look for inspiration.

We have a more hands on type arrangement in our Lego room.

atkinsarBrickDancerRonyarSirKevbagsLegobutterflyGuroooMorkManJELJ1S
    coachie said:

Lovely Andy, but isn't the desk facing the wrong way? I suppose you can just launch yourself down the room on the swivel chair to look for inspiration.

It'd be far too distracting to look at LEGO all day whilst I'm working!
    CCC said:

It does look like it needs a till to make it complete. Maybe time for a MOC?

The shop look was actually something I had in mind whilst designing the room. I'm not much in MOCing at the moment, no time, patience or skill for it, that said I do have some ideas centred around creating MOCs specifically sized to fit the empty Expedit cubes, just looking for some spare time to start work on them.
    edited June 2013
    @atkinsar just had a look through your Photostream & I really like what you have done, I always take photos of my progress when i'm doing building works, your room looks great.

This is really making me want to get started on my Lego room (7mx7m shed), but I have a heap of other DIY (Just finishing renovating my Bedroom now) that I need to get done, including a new Kitchen. I'm not sure my wife would be very impressed if I start the Lego room first :(
    @Basta, a new kitchen doesn't put food on the table, oh wait...

7m x 7m shed, that's not a shed, that's a mansion! I'm looking at buying a shed for the garden that is 6m x 3m to turn into a bike workshop, the pictures of it look huge, I can't even imagine a 7m x 7m shed!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,513
    @atkinsar what version of the Tumbler is that on display? I assume it is a Moc. If you could kindly point me in the direction of the directions that would be fantastic, I really want to build one for myself! Congrats on your new Lego digs
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    Some of you guys are lucky when it comes to displaying Lego models. I crave a room like that, but I only live in a 2 bed semi with my Lego-hating parents. The only room I can use to display Lego is my bedroom, and it's already full to bursting even before new products in August arrive!
    Plus Lego has to fight for space with my other collections. Just look at these pics of my room!

Yes, I'm so pushed for space, my Lightning dragon is displayed on my alarm clock :-P

And a lot of my collection is undisplayed, hiding under my bed :-(
    atkinsarcoachieSirKevbagsLegoboyZacherano
    atkinsar said:

@Basta, a new kitchen doesn't put food on the table, oh wait...

7m x 7m shed, that's not a shed, that's a mansion! I'm looking at buying a shed for the garden that is 6m x 3m to turn into a bike workshop, the pictures of it look huge, I can't even imagine a 7m x 7m shed!

If I do the Lego room first I'm almost certin I wouldn't get any food on the table :p

Yeah it's a decent size shed, reality may mean I have to keep some of it for shed type stuff, but at the moment my plan is for the entire thing to be my man cave, with shelves like what you have around a couple of sides and a big bench for a Lego city/train layout in the middle I'll probably add a small bathroom too. I have a biggish yard so another shed type structure will be going up to hold all my tools and garden equipment etc.

I need to do it soon as I have a a bunch of large sets I haven't built but am real keen to, Im waiting for somewhere to display them.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ A biggish back yard Aussie style translates to paddock big enough for horses compared to UK gardens ;-)
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    @TheOneVeyronian Nice MOCs!
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    @LegoRocco Thanks! :-)
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    Y'all wanna see something?
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    Sure!
    skeet318 said:

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 999
    skeet318 said:

Nah.
    dejavu