Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PF question

drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,706
edited August 2011 in Building and Techniques
I have a battery box in the front coach of my 7938 Passenger train which powers a pair of standard LEGO LEDs as well as the standard motor that comes with the set. I'm thinking of joining a number of PF connector cables together and running them down the length of the train to give me lights at the rear of train as well.

Is there going to be an issue joining together maybe 10 standard PF extension leads in order to get power to the rear carriage ? Also, will a standard rechargeable battery box comfortably power the motor, and 2 pairs of LEDs ?

Comments

• EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    I don't see why that would be a problem. You can run wire from on end of your house to the other without an issue, so I don't see why not.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,706
    Thanks, Eric. I also figured it ought to be OK, but would still be be interested to know if anyone's actually tried it.
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    Well I am not an expert, but dabbled with electronics as a kid.... so for what it is worth:

- LED's take little power so I expect the battery should be able to handle the load
    - I expect each of the PF connector cables will have some resistance, connecting 10 in series may reduce the brightness of the LED on the rear.

Will be interesting to measure the resistance of a PF connector cable. I remember running lights from one room to another using a long cable and the DC voltage needed to be bumped up to overcome the resistance of the wires.
    ^ All makes sense - thanks ! I'll let you know how it turned out just as soon as I lay my hands on 8-10 standard extension leads !
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,621
    This scenario was used on the 12v train set 7745. It used 3 wires ( the length of each car ) to do the same thing you are talking about. You should have no more than .1 ohm of resistance per connection. Led lights take very little to run, you will have more recharging because of the lights, but not much.
    Great - thanks, everybody for the info.