Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego horror stories?

sjerakatsjerakat Member Posts: 27
edited June 2013 in Everything else LEGO
As avid Lego collectors, I'm sure some of you are like me and have had some horror stories. Large sets dropping off shelves, losing important pieces, etc.

Well I've decided to get mine off my chest...

Having been in the dark ages for the past 9 years I'm saddened to say the upkeep on some of my sets was not ideal. I recently discovered that all of the pieces to my UCS Snowspeeder and UCS Naboo fighter were outside my house in a plastic bin that has collected rain, dirt, dust and grime. As if that wasn't bad enough, I also discovered that a bunch of important instruction booklets for sets like Cloud City, ISD, 10132 Hogwarts Express and a bunch of other sets were thrown away on accident months ago. So devastating....

Comments

• Dark_PegasusDark_Pegasus Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2013
    When I was a kid during the days of the original castle/pirates/city I had £100's of sets which I kept in a huge box as I was a lego maniac. After I came out of my dark age in my teens, I discovered my father had taken the entire box to the tip...when I look on Bricklink and see those sets as well as the price...I die a little inside and cry...
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 195
    My very first lego set I ever got 6399 airport shuttle was my christmas present when i was 8. It was my favorite set and started my obsession. My mom sold in a garage sale for $5 in 2002 while I was at college!!! I have been trying to get another one ever since but it's just too damn expensive.
    sjerakat
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited June 2013
    So you're still having those recurring nightmares from that @samiam391? Scarred for life. :o)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    This one time I got into an argument with my girlfriend and it came to a "I dare you." moment. And i proceeded to be manly about it. So with two swipes of her arm, the Republic Gunship, AT-TE, Republic Frigate, Republic Venator, CubeDude and UCS R2-D2 all went flying across the room. It was topped off in the morning with Gandalf Arrives and Weathertop whilst i was sleeping. The horror indeed.
    sjerakatcaperberryMarkeyjasorkezLegoboyBrickarmorCoolsplash91stlegotrooper
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    After installing a cantilever shelf on the wall up at about 7 feet high, I placed my Grand Emporium and Cafe Corner on it for permanent display. In the middle of the night I awoke to a loud crash. Rushing into the living room, I find that the shelf has given way and both modulars have fallen down onto my lower cabinets, where fortunately my Eiffel Tower, Grand Carousel and Statue of Liberty sets were waiting to help absorb the impact. Needless to say I did not go back to sleep that night. I searched, sorted and rebuilt those poor sets for many many hours that I will never have back. Every time I look at my current display I think back to that awful night and the sheer horror of he mess of thousands of pieces loose on the floor.
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    Yeah, well many year ago I let my brother have my legos from the 80s and 90s. I now have less than 20% of them including only 2 hull pieces and 1 sail of the Black Seas Barracuda.
  • sjerakatsjerakat Member Posts: 27
    Nelly, I had a similar thing happen when I was putting up a shelf. It seemed sturdy and ready for weight, yet moments after I placed my UCS Blockade runner and darth maul bust it all went crashing to the ground, pieces everywhere.... Brclark, I had 6399 as a child, lost it, rebought it for $300 only to discover that a few years later, my mom let my 3 old nephews play with the train cars, they're long gone...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,237

This one time I got into an argument with my girlfriend and it came to a "I dare you." moment. And i proceeded to be manly about it. So with two swipes of her arm, the Republic Gunship, AT-TE, Republic Frigate, Republic Venator, CubeDude and UCS R2-D2 all went flying across the room. It was topped off in the morning with Gandalf Arrives and Weathertop whilst i was sleeping. The horror indeed.

That's a sackable offence, I'm afraid....
    caperberryGeddesmargotYellowcastleHavocsan
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    My son loves playing with Lego but he's only 3 years old. Anyway he got his hands on the city of Atlantis which is not the sturdiest of sets - in fact it falls to pieces just looking at it. Anyway, I found it scattered around the bedroom and in pieces and in reassembling there was a few pieces missing.

So I was doing a bricklink order and ordered the pieces as replacement and the day they arrived my wife found the missing pieces. Argh.

This also happened with the technic rescue helicopter.
  • OakenmoldOakenmold Member Posts: 92
    I had all of the original Star Wars sets from 1999. They were the pride of my collection. I just turned 19 and having Lego Star Wars was the best thing. I choose to work away for a couple of months, carefully packing all of my prised collection in boxes and storing them in my mothers shed. When I returned I found out that my two sneaky little brothers had taken them out of the boxes mere hours after I left played with them. My mother assumed they were theirs and put with theirs box of random Lego. She then decides to play the charitable person and donates the box to a children's hospital.
    I'm gutted that I have lost all of my prised sets but sick children get to play with them.
  • VaioVaio Member Posts: 22
    I saved my Lego sets along with some other toys so I could give them to my kids...just for the sentimental value. (Dad used to play with these when he was a boy...) I took really good care of my toys for this reason. (I had no clue old toys were so valuable)

When my son turned 3, I dug up one of my old sets... #6765 Gold City Junction. He loved playing with it and it brought back memories... The problem is...he would freak out when it kept breaking and I would have to build it over and over again...

After the hundredth time, I said "screw this" and got my crazy glue out...I glued all the pieces so it wouldn't break again. I did this with several sets before I knew the value of them...
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I was on the Inside Tour last week with Huw & DrDave, and in the moulding factory there was one room they purposefully did NOT take us into as it would have been like a horror movie. It's where the LEGO pieces due for recycling are chopped up into tiny bits.
    YellowcastleMinifigsMe
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 220
    I have two I guess.

First is the standard cantilever shelf we all know and love €5 from IKEA which I put my IS on and it crashed about 5' to the floor snapping the blue technic pieces that hold the central fin.

Second is while I was away at flight school my mum sold all my Lego at a car boot. Apparently it was a quick sale as a shrewd buyer bought the lot! Perhaps even someone on this very forum... Fortunately she saved my Star Wars sets and my brother rescued my 6268 and 6271. Tragically looking up those set numbers made me remember the other sets that must have gone including the 6090 which I won in a competition from "The Entertainer"
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,264
    I have a horror story from several years ago. I had a large cabinet which iwa filled with boxes and boxes of spare parts. One day my parents and I were moving this cabinet out from the wall in order to clean behind it. Naturally it got snagged on the carpet and fell forwards, resulting in the wood and glass of the cabinet splintering, the carpet being torn, and every single box flying out dispersing some 50,000 pieces (which had been organised by colour) around the room. We can at least be thankful that nobody was there to get squashed by the falling cabinet, but I remember being utterly speechless for the rest of the day. We just left the mess there until we had all got over it the next weekend!

The room was due for redecorating regardless, but that was certainly not how we had envisaged doing it...
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    So...this isnt the thread to post that out of a mess of GI Joe, Transformers, and old TMNT figures in a box just heaped up...i found in two seperate bags a #1875 Meteor Monitor and #6993 Spectral Starglider WITH their instructions?

I was horrified that I had forgotten about two surviving Lego sets from way back in the day for me. Does that count? :P
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248

I'm really surprised that this says "girlfriend" and not "ex-girlfriend."

• epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    My wife threw several things that I had bought her out of a second story window.
    This included #10228. Finding sand green and tan bricks in a yard isn't very fun.
    For the record, I TOTALLY deserved it.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I BrickLinked Darth Maul, but everyone said it looked too scary for the place I'd left it in the main house. So our cleaner moved it to my study, but left it somewhat precariously perched on my desk.

One flamboyant hand gesture later and it was on the floor in pieces, including a couple of 1x16 technic bricks which were broken.

It's still in the same state. The nature of the instructions (one layer at the time) means it's pretty hard to work from part built model, so I'll have to take it fully apart to start again.

• PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    @caperberry Do yo know if they recycle the parts in new parts or just sell the material? It is my understanding that recycling can alter the color, cause a more matted finish, and is also weaker because many of the bonds are broken when heated (though many reform as it cools).
  • BigKidBigKid Member Posts: 29
    I have you all beat! I haven't built a set in over 15 years. :( I'm more into collecting and reselling at the moment.

BigKid
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,252
    edited June 2013
    BigKid said:

I have you all beat! I haven't built a set in over 15 years. :( I'm more into collecting and reselling at the moment.

BigKid

That's a horror story that you can change @BigKid with the simple slit of a seal on one of your many "resale" LEGO sets.

I, however, can't wash off the foul touch of a M***B**** for the rest of my life.

Try again.
    JenniMatthew
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I had found a 2011 SDC Batman at my local comic shop. I put the figure in my drawer with my CMF sets thinking it would be safe. Since i'm not really a minifig collector I let a very well known member on here know that it was up for trade bait. We worked out a deal and when I went to get him Batman was gone. I checked with my 6 year old daughter and I asked if she had seen it and she said " yes Daddy....he married Barbi" Sure enough there he is living the high life in the Barbi house....minus a helmet and back card....never did find them....sorry Sam
    ^The worst part about it all? I wasn't even invited to the wedding.
    sjerakat
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    ^^^ My son was given some m***B**** for his birthday so not only did I have to touch them, they lived in our home and I trod on one of the
    infernal things at silly o'clock when getting up to my youngest, and it had the nerve to leave a bruise! And to add insult to injury I found one that brand of base plates hiding under the tv unit today and it is currently sitting on my coffee table, bleurgh!

The 7965 falcon falling off the tv unit and smashing into many pieces did not fill me or my husband with joy I have to say.
    Add to that a cat who has a taste for LEGO, a cat who will chew and swallow any piece he can get his paws on, small and cheap or big and expensive or any combination of those, he cares not. I actually wanted to cry the day I found a chewed up mon calamari head in the litter tray :(
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226

@caperberry Do yo know if they recycle the parts in new parts or just sell the material? It is my understanding that recycling can alter the color, cause a more matted finish, and is also weaker because many of the bonds are broken when heated (though many reform as it cools).

I believe they use the recycled plastic to make dark bley. I don't know about the colour/strength issues - but I do know LEGO's standards are so insanely stringent, I doubt they'd do it if it did cause issues.

In 2012 they recycled 88% of their waste, this year the target is 90%. The rest is incinerated or becomes landfill.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 614
    I remember hearing a story about a life sized Boba Fett model that came back from its tour of being displayed and was fed into to shredder. Not sure if that's true or just Lego Legend.
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    I moved to a new house a few years ago. I packed and moved everything myself, all in my only car. After the first house was completely empty, I went back to clean and do a final check - nothing left behind anywhere. When I unpacked at my new house, I discovered several old sets were unaccounted for. I've gone through everything over and over. It nearly drove me crazy - I finally had to just accept that about a dozen space sets just vaporized in the move.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 808
    Back in early 2002, NELUG was asked to do a big mosaic for the Boston Home Show. We didn't know much about making large scale constructions back then, and certainly not mosaics. We were told the home show would give us a metal pipe frame that we could hang it from, and were given rough dimensions (about 12' x 5'). So we bought about 40-50 copies of the #3443 LEGO Mosaic set, and put together a big mosaic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocobricks_customs/8733667211/

We figured hanging it would be no problem. Assemble it in 48x48 chunks and attach them as you go to the mosaic, right? Works great!

Then we showed up to the event. The theme of the event was "The Big Dig", which was an underground highway project in Boston that was going on at the time. So, the organizers thought it would be fun to have people "dig" at the event. ... Right in front of our mosaic. So they dumped several tons of sand on the floor, right where we needed to stand to set up the mosaic.

Further, we found a problem with our "hang one piece at a time" theory. Without a solid backing, it was very difficult to press elements onto 48x48 baseplates. So we tried a new strategy: Build the whole thing on the floor, then lift it into place to hang. Only problem with that being that to pull it off, we would need at least 3 people to carry it across the huge pile of sand.

When the time came, 3 of us held up the mosaic and trudged slowly up the sand mound. Unfortunately, sand is actually pretty difficult to walk on, and the person in the middle couldn't see where he was going (since the mosaic was 5' tall, and he had to hold it up high enough to allow for himself walking up the hill). And sure enough, halfway up the pile, he lost his balance and fell, ripping the mosaic to shreds!

Stray pieces fell into the sand, and spilled across the concrete floor. And if you've never tried to dig out a ton of gray 1x1 plates from sand piles, you're missing out on great fun.

Eventually (hours later), we pieced it back together, and made a 2nd attempt (this time more slowly), and got it hung in place:

http://www.nelug.org/mediagallery/mediaobjects/orig/f/f_p2220015.jpg

But we learned a valuable lesson, and ever since, we've used a custom stand to hang it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4129216961/

DaveE
  • NoizetankNoizetank Member Posts: 48
    Had my first horror moment this morning. I have been sorting through about 60 kilos of lego over the last 4 months and after a week of nagging decided to stack all the boxes up neatly in the corner. My son decided he needed something from one of the middle boxes and just yanked it out. He is 5 so no logic was used lol now my front room has a mountain of lego in the corner and all my sorting must start again epic fail still found my gold 3po that went missing a while back. Apparantly batman needed his help fighting bane. Love my kids and look forward to the day they understand why daddy needs everything neatly sorted, if that time ever comes.
  • truktruk Member Posts: 46
    jasor said:

So...this isnt the thread to post that out of a mess of GI Joe, Transformers, and old TMNT figures in a box just heaped up...i found in two seperate bags a #1875 Meteor Monitor and #6993 Spectral Starglider WITH their instructions?

I was horrified that I had forgotten about two surviving Lego sets from way back in the day for me. Does that count? :P

Waaaay back when I was 4, my parents invited some cousins to go trash my playroom while they were over for Thanksgiving dinner. I left for something and just as I was walking back in, I saw my entire multi-gallon tub of lego blocks being dumped into a huge pile of assorted He-Man, Transformers, and other 80's action figures.

Everything ended up getting shoveled into various bins (it had been more or less sorted before that event) and we moved a few months later, so the bins were further divided into moving boxes and sealed in a storage locker for the better part of a year.

Essentially I spent the rest of my childhood finding little caches of Lego blocks every time I decided I wanted to dig out Skeletor to fight the Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, or whatever else came out between 1988-1993.
    Oh, another good horror story-- Back in the late 1990's, LEGO had a [email protected] location in New Zealand that was closing. They had a ton of replacement parts, returned sets, and other non-sell-able brick which they had to get rid of. LEGO's solution? ... Bury it. They tossed probably hundreds of thousands of parts into landfill!

DaveE
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^Do you know how hard it is going to be, and how many crippling symptoms I'm going to develop trying to repress the memory of reading that?
    Penkid11
  • NoizetankNoizetank Member Posts: 48
    @davee123 that reminds me of a story I heard about kenner and star wars toys back in the mid eighties. I was at a SW convention and a guy there was selling old prototype models and said that when the SW figures stopped selling Kennner Buried all the moulds and 1000s of sets in a massive land fill. I could have cried.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    davee123 said:

Oh, another good horror story-- Back in the late 1990's, LEGO had a [email protected] location in New Zealand that was closing. They had a ton of replacement parts, returned sets, and other non-sell-able brick which they had to get rid of. LEGO's solution? ... Bury it. They tossed probably hundreds of thousands of parts into landfill!

DaveE

In 2000 years, some lucky archaeologist will chance upon a lucky haul. It's like people now finding hoards of Roman coins.
    Matthew
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    At least they won't be like old cars, that the gov't wants crushed.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Not that I'm bitter...
    Furrysaurus
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    I've got my shovel ready. Any one else want to come? @davee123, you don't think you could give me a precise location for that landfill? Latitude and longitude? Even a cryptic treasure map would be nice.
    rancorbait
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    Sounds a bit urban legend-y like the millions ET cartridges for the Atari VCS because they thought they could sell them but produced loads more cartridges than sold consoles.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    edited June 2013
    When I was a child back in the 80s I had, along with Lego, a train set and a small snooker table, amongst other things.

One day, I reckoned that the wooden board which my train track was nailed to (it must have only been about 6ft x 4ft) would fit under my snooker table, which was about the same size.

Unfortunately the board dropped onto the floor before I got it under, and #6392 was waiting to absorb the impact. Although the set itself was almost completely demolished, the only piece which broke was one of the helicopter legs, which my mum replaced last year when she decided to sort (read: build) all the Lego that is still in their loft.
    beegeedee said:

Sounds a bit urban legend-y

I think LEGO still probably throws out bricks-- just not as much. Back when Steve Witt was working for LEGO, he got wind of a huge swath of sets and loose bricks that were slated for destruction, but he saved them and offered them to AFOLs instead. If he hadn't done that, LEGO very well might have threw those out as well.

Another horror story-- not my own:

One of our LUG members decided as a kid that his LEGO firefighters needed something more serious to combat-- a REAL fire! So he went out to the garage, built a big setup, and yes, lit it on fire. In the process, he lost a lot of classic 80's elements, but he did find out that LEGO burns REALLY well, and gives off a lot of green smoke!

DaveE
    Furrysaurus
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    I don't have a story. My only horrors are the price tags.
    HarryPotterLover91stlegotrooper

I don't have a story.

@rancorbait- I disagree, your username alone, sounds like a horror story.
    rancorbait
  • John7RyanJohn7Ryan Member Posts: 8
    mini horor story ,my nephew age 3 got lego starter box , actually thats a true crime,but i make something "MY LEGO" ,model disappears,try again also disappears, also a blue wizard which i got in a mini set 10 years ago is now part of "MY LEGO" ,
    Another horror story:

Back at the Boston Home Show in 2002, we left our display up all week long, unattended by AFOLs during the majority of the week. They had security, and cameras on during the day, but would turn them off after hours.

On one of the days, there were two hired policemen that were doing security for the show, and were marveling at our display-- in particular the police cars, which they asked several questions about. After the show was done, we found that we were missing 2 cars. Two police cars. The cameras didn't catch anything, so whoever took it had access to the setup after hours, so we're pretty sure they were taken by two police officers!

DaveE
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 456
    ^thats real bad. hope you got that issue solved somehow to reduce your part loss somehow cause it was the fault of the organisators and not your fault
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2013
    A few years ago I bought my son the Death Star for Christmas, and we spent 2 fun days building it. I put it on his bedroom floor so he could play with it, and left him to it. My parents were round at the time, and later that day my dad went into the room for something, tried to step over the model, and put his foot right through the middle of it. It was too badly damaged to salvage, and although I had enjoyed the build immensely I really couldn't face doing it all again so soon. It stayed packed in boxes for a few months after that.

Another story that springs to mind: Is it just me, or is #4504 Millennium Falcon very unstable? Just minutes after fixing it for the hundredth time, my son brought it back to me in pieces AGAIN! I rebuilt it AGAIN, picked it up, and it immediately fell apart in my hands! I was so angry I threw the model across the room where it shattered against the wall, spraying pieces everywhere. Parts were still turning up weeks later.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    edited June 2013
    ^ Anger management? ;-)
    Furrysaurus
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 471
    About a year ago I bought very nice Esso pump with super clear and intact stickers. The seller had shipped this along with another item in a box full of styrofoam peanuts. For some reason I assumed that they would be shipped separately. And since the box arrive the day before garbage day I simply took the first item out and threw the styrofoam peanuts in the trash bin without looking, pump and all. By the time I realized what I had done the next day it was too late. I took one of the nicest Esso pumps I've ever seen and threw it away. It still makes me sick to think about.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited June 2013
    Not really a horror story, but it definitely tested the constant reminders to myself that my son's LEGO is my son's LEGO. I walked into my bedroom last night to see him dropping the last of his City trucks (he has five) between the headboard of the bed and the wall. While fishing out the numerous chunks of parts, I found a crushed lever base that had presumably met its fate some time earlier. When I put all the sets back together, the next time he wants to play with them, I'll find out if any pieces went down the AC vent. When I asked why he did it, he said, "Because they had to go there."