Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10236 Ewok Village

Comments

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

I like the true to color new biker scouts, and I am glad they added a couple of stormtroopers as well.

Scout troopers don't have black boots, they've got white boots that nearly reach the knee and white kneepads. A "true to color" scout would have white legs with black printing on the thighs.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    If this set does well, we'll get our Cloud City soon enough!!
    Jonn420margotDeadareusLegoFanTexasPitfall69
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    This set is a good example of why I am buying less and less LEGO.

It's pretty amazing.

Love it. Regardless of the piece count issues, to me, this is clearly a flagship set. If you build it and set it up in your home, your Star-Wars-leaning friends will definitely make a big fuss about it.

Looks great as an adult collector, and has tons of play features. Why is it a reason I am buying less LEGO: there is simply too much good stuff they are coming out with. I can't even hope to keep up in terms of build-time and display space.

Kudos to LEGO for really going big on this one.
    Dougoutunderhandednm
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2013
    From a marketing standpoint, LEGO should of made the piece count just above 2000 vice 1990 pieces. Just adding, say 15 to 20 pieces, would give the consumer justification and a false sense of a better deal to purchase a 2000 plus set than a 1900 plus set. It's all about perception.
    FollowsClosely
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    1265 said:

From a marketing standpoint, LEGO should of made the piece count just above 2000 vice 1990 pieces. Just adding, say 15 to 20 pieces, would give the consumer justification and a false sense of a better deal to purchase a 2000 plus set than a 1900 plus set. It's all about perception.

Yea, I was wondering the same thing... Frankly, it wouldn't be hard to put an extra 100 parts on this thing, they can all be small, that is ok. Just give it a bit more detail in 1x1 plates and rounds and stuff and make me feel better about the price. :)
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    Yep, agree with that, the human psyche is a weird one, We feel better paying 1.99 for something over 2.00

Marketing fail on LEGO's part.
    FollowsClosely
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    1265 said:

I know. That really was the first thing that turned me off, and I understand it is a human psyche thing. I am just surprised Lego did not think of that.

It is simply a pay over $200 for less than 2000 pieces. It makes it seem expensive. As you said...perception.

The set is nice, but the price frustrates me.

• AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    What about the minifigs in the set? Are there some exclusives? Apart from Leia and possibly some Ewoks? Are all the main characters just rereleases?

If so I think I'll just BL Leia..
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    AvengerDr said:

What about the minifigs in the set? Are there some exclusives? Apart from Leia and possibly some Ewoks? Are all the main characters just rereleases?

If so I think I'll just BL Leia..

Luke, Teebo, Nho'Apakk and the kind of poorly done Wicket and Scout Troopers are all new as well.
  • Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 119
    I don't see any problem with the number of pieces or the price. I've collected most of the Star Wars sets since 2005 and the (retail) price per piece has averaged a shade under 10p. Guess what this set has a price per piece of 10p.

It's simple enough really, if you don't want to pay for it don't buy it (just like any other set!)
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    My initial reaction to the set was WOW but once you get a closer look at it the set becomes underwhelming. For $250 they certainly should have thrown in more green for the trees.
  • bassbisonbassbison Member Posts: 8
    I think it's a nice looking set with some good figures and a very decent price per piece for a SW set, but I'm more of a vehicle fan and am still saving for the new UCS X-Wing. Kudos to LEGO for trying something different but I wonder how well it will sell...
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    Even my wife likes it- the best attribute any set could possibly have!
    Deadareusjeremy1973LegoFanTexasPenkid11jtrbassbisonFollowsClosely
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264

Even my wife likes it- the best attribute any set could possibly have!

SO true!

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,462

From watching the video, I believe the creator picked that version of Luke to create the scene where Luke tells Leia she is his sister.

Wait. Leia is Luke's SISTER?! But he kissed her! That's gross.

Nice set. If I had the £200 to drop on it I'd happily do so. Much better than the usual block of grey as the designer says.

• CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    It's kinda what I expected, and I'm impressed with how it all looks together, but its just not my kind of thing, if I was a big mini fig fan, or had kids to play with it then perhaps it'd be a different story. As is I'm not sure how it'd look sitting on a shelf next to my SSD
    andhe said:

Wait. Leia is Luke's SISTER?! But he kissed her! That's gross.

FORGOT about this part of the video and had a mad scramble to hit pause before he spoiled this for my 5 yr old!!!!

Thankfully another spoiler averted.

He goes to kindergarten next year so I'm not holding out MUCH hope for the big spoiler in Empire.

I should just bite the bullet and watch them with him this summer. I'd love to wait for the theatrical releases prior to episode VII. They've got to have them back in theaters prior to the new one right? They HAVE to!

Back on topic...

Ewok Attack has been so discounted recently I really wish I had picked up 2 or 3 of these now. Multiple speeder bikes, rebel soldiers, ewoks and tree elements will go a long way to create a more vast scene with EV.

• PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 318
    Let me first say that this does look like a nice set and I think it is a good price considering the size of some of the pieces and the large number of minifigs. However... I feel all non-vehicle sets in this price range should have base plates. This would look so much nicer with a large green baseplate with some other pieces like bushes and fallen logs. Also it has way too many minifigs. I know most people like minifigs but most people get several sets in a series and wind up with tons of duplicates. I would prefer fewer minifigs in exchange for more pieces or a lower price.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited June 2013

This set is a good example of why I am buying less and less LEGO.

It's pretty amazing.

Love it. Regardless of the piece count issues, to me, this is clearly a flagship set. If you build it and set it up in your home, your Star-Wars-leaning friends will definitely make a big fuss about it.

Looks great as an adult collector, and has tons of play features. Why is it a reason I am buying less LEGO: there is simply too much good stuff they are coming out with. I can't even hope to keep up in terms of build-time and display space.

Kudos to LEGO for really going big on this one.

Very true, at the end of this year we are going to have
    Haunted House
    Technic crane Mk 2
    Tower of orthanc
    Sopwith Camel
    Arkham Asylum
    Sydney Opera House
    Tower bridge
    Ewok Village
    R2-D2
    Plus all the modulars and a few others

I doubt these sets mentioned above will be anywhere near as collectable as older sets in the future as to retire on their aftermarket value but it sure does seem like we are spoilt for choice when it comes to Lego at the moment and IMO an awesome time to be an AFOL :D
    LostInTranslationbellybutton290
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I don't think there is much I can add to all the great comments. This is a fantastic display set. I can't see myself leaving it in the box. I do think that I would have liked to see translucent Yoda, Anakin (old) and Obi-Wan included in the set and maybe a translucent Anakin (Haden Christensen) as a May 4th promo. Also, a few extra Stormtrooper helmets so the Ewoks can bang on them to make music...lol.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,983
    ^they have the extra helmets I believe
    The best part is that the stormie helmet looks like the same weathered one they use in the droid escape set.

Oh and the Death Star has two extra helmets (Luke and Han) that you can use.

Such a great touch. Love it.

I'm also hoping there's a mechanism for floating the chair.

In the video it looks like a trans-clear bar holding it in the air. Hopefully it rises and falls.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

I didn't see the video...my bad. I just glanced at the pics on my phone.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,776
    I'm glad they are sticking with the newer style stormtrooper torso, but I wonder why they are reverting to the black head for the scout, not using the balaclava style head.

This one: image

That one you could turn around if you wanted the black mask / visor, or show the face.
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    So my question here is , and it may have already been asked , will this be considered the second UCS handing for the year and we're done for 2013( me thinks not) or are we still getting a UCS model in October ? I am hoping there is still a droid we're looking for .
    While I'm not going to hold my breath I would like to see another "proper" UCS. As I'm sure there are going to be slightly jaded with just getting a re-make and a playset.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Being that the Ewok village is largish I don't see TLG releasing a huge set just after and although Ewok Village isn't a UCS IMO it might take the place of a UCS this year. If they do one I think it will be smaller then Red 5 & the B-Wing.

Basta said:

If they do one I think it will be smaller then Red 5 & the B-Wing.

A-Wing? Anakin's Jedi Interceptor?

But I think the Ewok Village is the October set. And if it sells better than the B-Wing / Imperial Shuttle, then my guess is that LEGO will switch over to one large playset and one large ship per year.

Furthermore, if the large playset concept really does take off, my guess is that a UCS-scale Millennium Falcon with a playable interior and/or light and sound effects is not far away.
    bassbison
    UCS Sandcrawler? We're waiting for the announcement from that, aren't we?

UCS Sandcrawler could be both a huge display set as well as a very cool playset, a combo for both kids and AFOLs.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Basta said:

But I think the Ewok Village is the October set. And if it sells better than the B-Wing / Imperial Shuttle, then my guess is that LEGO will switch over to one large playset and one large ship per year.

Furthermore, if the large playset concept really does take off, my guess is that a UCS-scale Millennium Falcon with a playable interior and/or light and sound effects is not far away.
    I have no doubt this will be a big seller, because it really appeals to kids and isn't $400. The real question is how many of the other recent monster sets (DS, SSD, IS) were bought by resellers, and how many were bought by end users. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, because I think we're past the salad days of the flagship sets being involved in BOGOs, so I think that will ultimately hurt overall sales.

UCS Sandcrawler? We're waiting for the announcement from that, aren't we?

UCS Sandcrawler could be both a huge display set as well as a very cool playset, a combo for both kids and AFOLs.

Yes, imagine if they did it not unlike the DS, where it has multiple Tatooine play areas within - Obi-Wan's cave, Uncle Owen's farm, Mos Eisley, the Cantina.
  • bassbisonbassbison Member Posts: 8

Basta said:

I'd love a UCS A-Wing. Surely as they've made the B-Wing (regardless of how it is selling!) it must be on the cards at some point. Plus it could easily be done with great detail and a smaller part count than Red 5 as the A-Wing is a pretty compact ship.
    tensor said:

Yes, imagine if they did it not unlike the DS, where it has multiple Tatooine play areas within - Obi-Wan's cave, Uncle Owen's farm, Mos Eisley, the Cantina.

The DS works as a set as the scenes depicted were actually from the Death Star. OK, different death stars, but let's ignore that bit. I don't think it would be good to get loads of Tatooine play scenes inside a sand crawler. None of them actually take place inside one.

And would kids really be interested in a sandcrawler? A huge vehicle that trawls very slowly across the carpet. To me, it doesn't have the swooshability as a regular ship or the play factor of many multiple scenes. It just kind of lacks action for me.
    bassbisoncheshirecat
    ^ Yea, but... but... it is a sandcrawler, it is from Star Wars, so it must be cool! :)

Besides, it is the first large land vehicle that we see in SW.

Ok, in fairness, UCS AT-AT should come first, that is WAY cooler, but it isn't any more swooshable than the sandcrawler is.

And the sandcrawler could be made RC with PF, which a UCS AT-AT probably couldn't.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2013
    Putting unrelated play scenes inside a sandcraweler would be a terrible idea. To be honest, a UCS sandcrawler seems a pretty bad idea similar in many ways to the (i think we've worked out) comercial failure that is the b-wing. I know it has OT presence but its basically a very large ugly brown box that appeals to Star Wars nerds.

@LFT - the two aren't comparable. The AT-AT is the epitomy of cool, it walks, it has big blasters. The sandcrawler? It doesn't blow anything up, its basically a not-very-glorified delivery van. Even the jawa's aren't remotely interesting.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ I was looking at my sandcrawler yesterday and I am not 100% convinced they need to release anything bigger (at least not substantially bigger).
    I think much bigger and it would be a pain to find space for.
    edited June 2013
    ^^I think it's a reasonable solution. They innovated with the DS by making it a collage of scenes, and this would allow them to do the same while retaining the Tatooine theme, providing lots of OT goodness and at the same time, providing a substantial feather in the cap of Cuusoo by filling up the "very large ugly brown box*" with more than just jawas.

Actually, the more I think of it, there's a lot of potential win by making it a replacement for the DS and retaining the massive, multiple playset theme it started.

* Your words, not mine or the other 10k+ supporters that apparently like the sandcrawler

^ I was looking at my sandcrawler yesterday and I am not 100% convinced they need to release anything bigger (at least not substantially bigger).

Two points:

1. Not everyone has 10144. :)

2. The UCS Sandcrawler that passed 10,000 votes in Cuusoo is not at all like 10144, it is much larger, with power functions, and it drives around.

I'd build it for the same reason I'll end up building SSD, which is just a long pile of gray bricks that doesn't do anything either. It is big and epic, and thus I have to build one. :)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    edited June 2013
    I think the Ewok village will be the last big set of the year for SW and agree if this works well then we could see more, Cloud City and Mos Esly being to good candidates.
    As for UCS, an update for Snowspeeder, Y-Wing and Tie-Fighter would in order and Lego have shown they will do updates now. But an A-Wing is a possiblity, Maybe a Slave1, that would sell big time as long as it was an OT version :)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768

Two points:

1. Not everyone has 10144. :)

2. The UCS Sandcrawler that passed 10,000 votes in Cuusoo is not at all like 10144, it is much larger, with power functions, and it drives around.

I'd build it for the same reason I'll end up building SSD, which is just a long pile of gray bricks that doesn't do anything either. It is big and epic, and thus I have to build one. :)
    Yep, fair comments. I would say though that if they released a new 10144 sized one it is gonna sell shed loads more than a 5-6000 piece model. But you are right, they are very different things.

tensor said:

^^I think it's a reasonable solution. They innovated with the DS by making it a collage of scenes, and this would allow them to do the same while retaining the Tatooine theme, providing lots of OT goodness and at the same time, providing a substantial feather in the cap of Cuusoo by filling up the "very large ugly brown box*" with more than just jawas.

But the collage of scenes happened in a Death Star. How many things happened inside a sand crawler?

You could just as well have a large Cantina with a mini sand crawler in one area, a micro-scale Mos Eisley in another, the homestead in another, etc. And maybe a band and Han and Greedo. It wouldn't really make sense, apart from the last bit.
    bassbison
    Exactly @CCC. Not to mention how the lack of a death star exterior might work in a sandcrawler. I also say, however many people might have voted for the sandcrawler (i think i might have even!) I can't see it being close to a success if released.

Kind of related - is Cuusoo becoming more of a joke? It was just before Christmas that we had the BTTF winning announcement - after what was a crazy long wait. Its now another 6 months waiting for the sandcrawler/portal/curiosity decision (for a 3 month delay in going into review) and still no news, other than we think they'll be doing more Minecraft sets. Sure they could catch up - given the winter 2012 lineup - but it just seems to be getting silly to me.
    leemcgdougtsLostInTranslation
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    CCC said:

And would kids really be interested in a sandcrawler? A huge vehicle that trawls very slowly across the carpet. To me, it doesn't have the swooshability as a regular ship or the play factor of many multiple scenes. It just kind of lacks action for me.

My kids LOVE my sandcrawler. They play with it all the time, over the span of many years now. It is arguably their favorite set, along with the DS.

FollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    Bandit said:

CCC said:

My kids LOVE my sandcrawler. They play with it all the time, over the span of many years now. It is arguably their favorite set, along with the DS.

My kids also love the sandcrawler, a top 10 in out home. Well, loved. We sold it a year back to buy some friends sets.
    edited June 2013
    CCC said:

tensor said:

But the collage of scenes happened in a Death Star. How many things happened inside a sand crawler?

You could just as well have a large Cantina with a mini sand crawler in one area, a micro-scale Mos Eisley in another, the homestead in another, etc. And maybe a band and Han and Greedo. It wouldn't really make sense, apart from the last bit.
    They could do that with the cantina, or any other thing, but it wouldn't align with the Cuusoo sandcrawler project, which, assuming Lego does still take it seriously (and they do), would make for some really good business synergy.

And who cares that they didn't take place in the sandcrawler? The death star scenes took place at different times and on different death stars. It's still Tatooine, and it is a toy, so it's not a quantum leap.

The idea also falls apart in practicalities - how many pieces would be required to have a large (big enough to have playsets inside) sandcrawler with exterior (it wouldn't work without, the deathstar works because its round) and the playsets themselves. Even if you get around what to do with the exterior to get to the inside, the part count would be enormous - for a big brown box.
    tensor said:

And who cares that they didn't take place in the sandcrawler? The death star scenes took place at different times and on different death stars. It's still Tatooine, and it is a toy, so it's not a quantum leap.

Probably most SW nerds, and this is a set for SW nerds.

And I don't mean that in a bad way. This is not a set a granny would buy a kid. Does that matter for cuusoo? Maybe not. Does it matter for a more general SW set? Probably more.
    As much as I'd love to have the Sandcrawler from CUUSOO I'm not convinced its going to happen. At least not on that scale. Play set is an interesting concept but the Death Star released in 2008 is only now seeing a replacement in the Ewok village (I think it's a replacement) I'd like to see another small UCS ship this year, A-Wing would be perfect, but I'm not going to hold my breath! Previous years have shown pretty random UCS releases with no real schedule, so maybe there's something lined up, but then we might also have had our lot for 2013.
    FollowsClosely
    CaptAPJT said:

As much as I'd love to have the Sandcrawler from CUUSOO I'm not convinced its going to happen. At least not on that scale. Play set is an interesting concept but the Death Star released in 2008 is only now seeing a replacement in the Ewok village (I think it's a replacement) I'd like to see another small UCS ship this year, A-Wing would be perfect, but I'm not going to hold my breath! Previous years have shown pretty random UCS releases with no real schedule, so maybe there's something lined up, but then we might also have had our lot for 2013.

I look at the Ewok village as potential replacement for the IS and not necessarily for the DS. Of course, this discussion is mostly academic, as there's so little pattern to go by at this point, seeing as we have a number of larger sets both recently retired (IS), brand new (Xwing), in mid-life (SSD, R2D2) and those with a death rattle (DS). There's also nothing to definitively state that we will always see "Replacements" for sets as opposed to Lego simply doing whatever they feel makes sense on a year-to-year basis (much more likely).