Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A new marketplace to buy & sell Lego!

Comments

• MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 879
    @CCC said:

* amount willing to pay is easy if a seller can fulfill the complete list. It could be either per part or just a single cost for the complete list. If a seller can only fulfill part of the list, then it is clearly more difficult, and the buyer would probably have to put a price per part that they are willing to spend.

I'd be happy with a ranking by % fulfillment, too. If I can get 95% of my list at $100, but 90% of it at $75, I might be more apt to go for the 90% option. The choice to buy or not buy would be made by me. Without this sort of option, I just end up postponing my purchases on BL and [since they time out of my cart] I don't buy. More lost revenue for BL and for the sellers.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,360
    ^ Nokias
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2013
    MorkMan said:

AvengerDr said:

There are also Lumias and Surface tablets :)

What's a Lumia? I thought I was tech-savvy - but I've never heard of that.
    Nokia, Windows phone 8 OS. - http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia920/

Given Window phone 8 market share (3-4%) I think they should be happy if the site has a mobile scalable web front end.

Surface tablets run various versions of Windows 8 so there may be more of a potential for a windows app there though again will likely be served by the web frontend.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    "we" should just be happy if there is a mobile web front end? Let's not turn this thread into an everyone Vs Microsoft please. By any means, it should be for "us" wp8 users to play the role of the elitists, since there are so few of us and so many of "them".

Irrespective of the actual market share, I am a seller and a wp8/surface user. If this new website is apple/android only, then that's one less reason to move.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Mobile web compatibility is a must, OS specific apps are not. Not, at least, in the beginning.
    FollowsCloselyAvengerDrMatthewSilentMode
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    ^ +1

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    ^ +2
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 879
    I want to be able to "send a wishlist" of bricks (to make a MOC or whatever) to people. Something easy. So when I build something and people say "cool... How did you do that?" I can send them the "wishlist" and they don't have to muss/fuss like I did.
    kylejohnson11
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67
    Does this website have anything to do with the relaunching of brick trader.net?
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    No, nothing at all to do with one another.
  • bricktracybricktracy Member Posts: 1
    I completely agree that shipping costs will be nearly impossible to calculate at check-out, and if they are automatic then it WILL increase shipping across the board to make up for errors in the system weights and to allow for extra packing materials.

For example, we have a shipping rate structure set up for USA, Canada and all others (International), and if a customer puts items into their cart, they can get an "idea" of what postage will be, as long as they don't have anything very bulky (requiring a box), fragile (requiring extra padding), or sets.

If we had to set up a required shipping rate for anything in a cart, we'd have to add on extra $$ to these rates to account for sets being shipped, etc., and buyers would end up paying a lot more than they would need to; unless you had it set up where sets had a different scale, but even then it depends on the set, on the box used, on the amount of packing needed, etc. Large bulky roof pieces going outside the U.S. and the like always require a box due to their not being safe to ship in bubble mailers Internationally, etc.

It's great to see this thread, and I hope to be able to catch up on the comments, but this one caught my eye.

Tracy
    Brick-A-Thon
    www.brickathon.com
    Hardrada said:

Shipping charges should be auto calculated, so that you know the cost at the time you order.

Also, just like eBay, requiring instant payment should be a requirement. I'd include PayPal, Google Checkout, and Amazon Payments as the three primary payment systems.

Will this be a USA only site? What about all those European folks using bank transfer? Mandatory instant payment would be extremely bad. It would potentially inflate shipping charges (see below) and would also prohibit order additions or order alterations.

I think pre-calculated shipping charges will equal increased shipping costs for buyers as sellers not able to account for every variable will try to stay on the safe side. Most national postal services have very complicated price tables and lots of extra services the buyer might or might not want.
    ColoradoBricksDiggydoesFurrysaurus
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Any updates on any of this? I'd love to check it out.
  • frankelfrankel Member Posts: 44
    @piratemania7 Hello, we are currently in development of the site. We have finished of the catalog system and the shop pages. At the moment we are working on the various searching functions for parts and all the user settings. In a couple of weeks when we have a solid user interface we will post some screenshots.

Thanks for your interest.
    Frank Hemsworth
    kylejohnson11
  • majorplayermajorplayer Member Posts: 5
    Hello, hope you haven't just downloaded BL's catalog. They will come after you big time if you have taken their intellectual property that probably took some 13 years to create.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    It's free to download. But it would be a real bad move as it's made by BL users and they'll be most unhappy 'bout that and most likely not to use another site
    @majorplayer We have not obtained the catalog from Bricklink. For parts we are using the Ldraw library (http://www.ldraw.org/article/227.html). We are working on other sources for Sets and Minifigures.

Well, it's not a free download for commercial use . . .
    edited May 2013

Well, it's not a free download for commercial use . . .

If you mean the Ldraw library:

"You are free:
    to copy - distribute, display, and use the CA approved LDraw Parts Library
    to make derivative works
    to make commercial use of the CA approved LDraw Parts Library"

We will also be keeping the catalog open source, free for anyone to download and use as they wish.

kylejohnson11TyoSoloMorkMan
    1974 said:

It's free to download. But it would be a real bad move as it's made by BL users and they'll be most unhappy 'bout that and most likely not to use another site

No, I mean BL's catalog is not free to use for commercial purposes.

@majorplayer Sorry about the confusion.

Yes it is not possible to use Bricklink's Catalog for commercial use.

"Any unauthorized or commercial use of that material without written permission from Bricklink.com is strictly prohibited."
    http://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=1919
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    Let me just say that it's awesome to see someone trying to compete with Bricklink. Alternatives with better interface would be great, and I can only imagine it will make Bricklink itself better to have competition around. Either way we win. So thanks for this. I look forward to seeing your demos.

Speaking of demos, are you going to incorporate better lowest-cost searching, something like atxdad's scripts but built into the website? To me, that's the biggest issue with Bricklink as-is. Obviously ease of use for new users is also a big deal but not a particular issue for me since I've got its interface figured out.
    @flakmaniak
    Hello,
    The site will have a search feature built in that enables buyers to build a 'Wanted List' of brick and then search for the shops that sell those items for the lowest total price.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Frank Hemsworth
  • brickanimalbrickanimal Member Posts: 1
    I see you are starting a website to compete with Bricklink? Are you the same Frank Hemsworth who blogs all those "how to" articles on how to hack websites? Interesting.
    @brickanimal Hello,
    I have not published any articles on how to hack websites. The only articles I have created, that are published online, are about authentication of user management systems in web applications. Any other articles are not my doing and were not published online by me.
    Regards,
    Frank Hemsworth
  • BrickABrackBrickABrack Member Posts: 5
    Well, it's not like Frank started a bricklink competitor a month and a half *before* the hacking of bricklink, right? Oh wait....

http://whois.net/whois/brickadox.com
    Registrant Name: Frank Hemsworth
    Created On: 01-Jun-2011

(Original hacking of bricklink was first noticed July 17th 2011)
    @BrickABrack
    Hello,
    I've had the idea for a while now. I just haven't had the time to go ahead with it. This domain was registered when i first had the idea, it may or may not be the name of the new site, this has not been decided!

I had the idea before Bricklink started having troubles with their website security. This does not in anyway mean I am responsible for the hack on Bricklink. We knew this allegation would be made sooner or later as there was lots of talk on the Bricklink forums about the hacker going off and making a new site.

If you are searching for any more 'proof', you may find more security related information. This is because I have an general interest in web application security, not because I am a 'hacker'.

All the best,
    Frank Hemsworth
    Actually the domain was registered before i had the Idea. Originally it was going to display pictures of the Lego models I had created. But I never had time to do it, then i had the new idea!
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I guess that's why you just pulled the site at brickadox.com, pulled the facebook page, and wiped the twitter account, because you're totally innocent.
    @BrickABrack

I just disabled the website just now as it has an unfinished version of the new site on it. I wiped the twitter account clean a few weeks ago when i first announced the website, I was posting on twitter about a year ago about Lego related stuff, but I didn't think this was related to the new website so I removed them. We do not have a Facebook page yet.

I hope this clears a few things up!
    Frank
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Now, now, lets all be polite and civil... Unless anyone has proof of wrong doing, making such comments on this forum is not really helpful.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,830
    What a surprise - they are new user IDs implying that frank is the hacker.
    kylejohnson11Joseph
    CCC said:

What a surprise - they are new user IDs implying that frank is the hacker.

Good catch...

If a long time poster said these things, we might listen, but when someone signs up today and their only two posts are this...

If it is an existing user, grow up and post with your known name.
    kylejohnson11FollowsClosely
    frankel said:

Actually the domain was registered before i had the Idea. Originally it was going to display pictures of the Lego models I had created. But I never had time to do it, then i had the new idea!
    Sorry for the confusion.

On 6/4/11 peeron.com received the following email (emphasis mine):

Hello,

I am in the process of starting a website, a Lego website to be exact.
    This website lists all lego parts and sets, but no way is a rival site to http://www.peeron.com.

I am wondering if it would be possible to make a partnership with http://www.peeron.com so I could use the images for each piece on peeron for my website. I would of course link and give Peeron credit for the images. It would be great if you could become part of my new website.

If you have any questions it would be great if we could work out a deal?

Thanks a bunch

Frank
    http://www.brickadox.com
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,384

frankel said:

Sorry for the confusion.

On 6/4/11 peeron.com received the following email (emphasis mine):

Hello,

I am in the process of starting a website, a Lego website to be exact.
    This website lists all lego parts and sets, but no way is a rival site to http://www.peeron.com.

I am wondering if it would be possible to make a partnership with http://www.peeron.com so I could use the images for each piece on peeron for my website. I would of course link and give Peeron credit for the images. It would be great if you could become part of my new website.

If you have any questions it would be great if we could work out a deal?

Thanks a bunch

Frank
    http://www.brickadox.com
    If you are wanting to accuse someone of something, than you are going to have to have way more proof than that. Easy enough for anyone to join a site, see this thread, and post a fake "e-mail" by typing it up.

Until you have substantiated evidence, please refrain from all these accusations that are proving absolutely nothing.
    kylejohnson11CombeemdellemanLegoFanTexasJoseph
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    So what is the accusation that this email would corroborate, exactly? And why is the wiping of a Twitter or somesuch at all relevant? Even if you're accusing Frank of hacking Bricklink, which seems frankly (ha!) ridiculous to me, all this other stuff seems incredibly unconnected. How does Frank's previous move to start a Bricklink competitor at all implicate him in the hacking? How is his story of having an idea and then delaying implementation not believable? Are you going to accuse everyone else who talked about a Bricklink alternative before the hacking?

Bottom line is, evidence, Mr. Wright.
    To be perfectly frank (ha, see what I did there!)...

If Frank is the hacker and he is starting another site, the fact that he hasn't destroyed Bricklink actually is a good thing. To win in business through competition is fair game. To win via illegal underhanded hacking is just wrong. It also sends to you prison if caught, so I hope whoever the hacker is (I have no idea) leaves it well enough alone.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    If one were to hack BrickLink and cause it to stop with the intent of starting a new and improved site, wouldn't the site be up and running already?
    KanohiLegoFanTexas
    I was always wondering why everyone embraced this hacker as though he was some sort of understanding soul who only wanted to help bricklink. He tried to destroy bricklink. He tried to erase their entire data base and the site had to be restored from back ups. I remember Eric who operates the site saying he had to roll back at least once, maybe twice. That kind of hacking isn't fun and games, it's a felony with major damages inflicted. If they ever catch who it is, and I don't pretend to know who that is, then I hope they prosecute the guy and put him in jail. I think it's sick that some of these people on the BL forum act like he's some kind of folk hero. That's a joke.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    One of my biggest pet peeves with Brick Link is the "New Complete" option. I hate it when someone lists something new, yet is is missing the box or instructions. If it has been opened, then it is not new but used, and people should not be able to list like that. Simple options, used or new. I could see an exception being made for mini-figs.

Thats my suggestion, to whoever is making a new site
    samiam391
    ^ so it is not possible to part out new sets then? Or sell off new sets missing the minifigs (new incomplete). Or sell opened cmf as new complete or new incomplete if you don't send the packet.
    =====================
    We have been working with the administration from BrickLink, as well as other Lego community sites in order to track down the hacker. We are not posting on behalf of BrickLink or any other site. We are posting for the good of the community, so that someone who has maliciously attacked Bricklink is not then trusted with users' information on his own site.

All facts can be independently verified by the parties involved, and you are encouraged to do so.

Editorials will be surrounded by "====================="

Below is the timeline of the hacks.
    =====================

Frank's bricklink account is "Rhinopress."

June 30, 2011
    A moderator at Bricklink received the follow message (unsolicited, had never interacted with rhinopress. before):

Hello, How are you?

I'm looking for feedback on a dr who scene i'm trying to make, what do you
    think of this: http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=rhinopress.&pageID=8062

thanks for your help

All the best
    Rhinopress

July 1, 2011
    Another moderator at Bricklink received the following message via bricklink internal email system:

Hello,
    Have you got this part in your store?
    It's at the bottom of this photo, or if you can't see which one click the more photos link, i have uploaded some of them to moc pages that have a clearer picture of the piece.
    It's on this page:
    http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=rhinopress.&pageID=8062

All the best
    Rhinopress

=====================
    This shows that user Rhinopress. was actively sending unsolicited messages to BrickLink members in positions of authority trying to get them to click on to his aboutme page. This was before the first hacking incident.
    =====================

July 17, 2011
    The forum moderators received the following message:

Someone edited [redacted] account to add me page to add session hijacking redirecting site. DONT CLICK ANY LINKS or ME PAGES!
    ------------------------------------------------
    This message was sent through the BrickLink Contact Form from member ([redacted]) to BrickLink Discussions Moderator ([redacted]).

July 18, 2011
    Rhinopress. deleted his aboutme page.

Many aboutme pages were getting hacked, as reported on the bricklink forums.

July 22, 2011
    The hacker posted from a hacked account, saying that he had logged into 6 different peoples' paypal accounts.

=====================
    This was the first incident of hacking and was accomplished using session hijacking javascript embedded in aboutme pages. The time frame between the beginning of user Rhinopress.'s phishing expedition and the public hacking would have allowed several weeks to collect numerous account credentials of Bricklink members, which he then used to infect those users' aboutme pages with the malicious javascript, perpetuating the hack.

This was not "benevolent" hacking, as there was serious damage done to the BrickLink catalog that required the site being restored from backups.
    =====================

April 14, 2012
    Aboutme pages were again getting hacked.

May 6, 2012
    Users thetstguy and thebstone were both created on Bricklink on the same day. thebstone purchased from thetstguy the same day and left feedback with javascript in it, also on the same day. The feedback left for thetstguy, and his response to the feedback were identical. Both were attempts to embed javascript into the feedback.

http://www.bricklink.com/feedback.asp?u=thetstguy

=====================
    There is no way this was a valid transaction, as the accounts, purchase, and feedback were all on the same day, and the feedback and the response left were identical. This was clearly a single person controlling both ends of the transaction.
    =====================

March 10, 2013
    Rhinopress. posted on the Bricklink forums for the first time in two months, only the third time he'd ever posted on the forums. User interim was created that same day, and posted about some rare Star Wars sets he had for sale just 4 hours later. Minutes after interim's post, users started reporting getting hacked on the forums.

http://i.imgur.com/Rm6LlcE.jpg

Later that day, the hacker, posting from a hacked account, posted that there were still vulnerabilities in the site.

May 9, 2013
    User interim posted as the hacker, saying the site was still hackable.

May 10, 2013
    Frank posts about his new site.

=====================
    Frank has logged into bricklink, brickset, and brickshelf from the same IP address as the IP thebstone used.
    No one else on bricklink has ever logged in from that IP address.

thebstone and thetstguy were clearly accounts created by same person.

thetstguy and interim have logged into Bricklink from the same IP address (identified as an IP anonymizer)

Frank -> thebstone -> thetstguy -> interim -> hacker
    =====================
    AvengerDrSvetlana3k
    Hello,

I sorry to say you are wasting your time. My account was compromised on Bricklink back when the hacking started. I think i emailed Bricklink admin about this (Though i don't have any copies of the emails as it was on my old email address).
    The only account I own on Bricklink is 'Rhinopress', I have not created any other accounts (thebstone?, thetstguy?, interim?).
    It would be possible that the same IP address was used on my account as someone did access my account and change my password and security question. I had to use the reset feature and get a temporary password sent to my email address to be able to access my account.

I have never hacked a site in my life this whole notion is crazy.
    Frank

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2013
    ^^ Can you just confirm this - 'Frank has logged into bricklink, brickset, and brickshelf from the same IP address as the IP thebstone used.'

Is that entirely accurate and was it not an anonymous IP as used later? If so, thats pretty damning. However, theres still no facts? Unless whoever gave you the brickset access IP's confirms it.
    ^^ You are also a new user here, joining just to highlight / discuss the hacking. Two new IDs were set up on that day to discuss hacking. Is that coincidence?

You say you have IP logon data from brickset, so presumably a more trusted admin member of brickset such as @huw could post to say whether this is true.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited June 2013
    Agreed, I look forward to having someone from this supposed bricklink-brickset-brickshelf conglomeration who provided these IPs weigh in on this discussion since at the moment, it's the only confirmable "fact" you have provided.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,384

=====================
    We have been working with the administration from BrickLink, as well as other Lego community sites in order to track down the hacker. We are not posting on behalf of BrickLink or any other site. We are posting for the good of the community, so that someone who has maliciously attacked Bricklink is not then trusted with users' information on his own site.

All facts can be independently verified by the parties involved, and you are encouraged to do so.

If you have been working so closely with other sites, working tirelessly to discover the hacker, I would almost expect your approach to the situation to be more professional.

Well, it's not like Frank started a bricklink competitor a month and a half *before* the hacking of bricklink, right? Oh wait....

http://whois.net/whois/brickadox.com
    Registrant Name: Frank Hemsworth
    Created On: 01-Jun-2011

(Original hacking of bricklink was first noticed July 17th 2011)

Usually when someone accuses someone of something else that is well substantiated with evidence, they don't post a tiny tid-bit of information expecting everyone to believe them.

In a professional sense, I would expect you to contact our forum moderators and/or creator, huw. I wouldn't expect you to come to a forum thread, and post. The only reason I would expect someone to do that, is if they were trolling, trying to stir up panic, make false statements, etc..

If you are associated with other forums/sites so much, how come you haven't provided feedback? We all see you are a brand new member, with 3 posts to their name (all accusatory posts). You continue claiming having connections, and encouraging us to talk to other people. However, you have not given us any information of exactly who to contact.

If you wouldn't mind, list some names. What's the harm in that? Or, contact your so called "backers", and have them post on here, or talk to Huw.

So far, all you've done is attack a member and try to lead credence to your accusatory posts.

I'd suggest you now provide your OWN feedback, to lead credence to YOU. That is, if you want to continue this any further. Until this is done, I will be marking all of your comments as spam.
    kylejohnson11JosephLegoFanTexas

=====================
    =====================

A few thoughts...

1. Post your name, if you are serious. Anyone can make such statements from behind a screen name, but if you want to be taken seriously, put your name to it.

2. Instead of putting all this time into finding the hacker, perhaps you should be putting the time into improving Bricklink?

3. You need to be careful what you say, you made a public hacking allegation against Frank, you are a screen name to us, but a court could find out who you are, there are legal issues involved, I suggest you consult a good lawyer.
    kylejohnson11
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^This. Also....if you were working with the Community to find said BL Hacker, it wouldnt originate in a forum. Defamation does nothing to halt malicious activity. In truth....we (the common people) would never know.

Read up on cyber-libel. People are suing....and WINNING.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/04/27/brian_burke_cyberlibel_suit_a_reminder_anonymous_internet_commentators_can_be_unmasked.html
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    perhaps we should all just sit tight and wait for comment from @Huw
    rocaoMatthewLegoFanTexasjasorSvetlana3k
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    Maybe, in a shocking turn of events, the hacker, Frank and the accuser are *all the same person*! Or Batman.
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.