Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Project Swapfig: Kickstarter project

2»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,830
    I've agreed a few trades, and posted them off. Just waiting for mine to arrive now. It is very simple, and much simpler than listing loads of figures in the marketplace hoping the right person sees it, and so on.

It is nicely designed, and there is more functionality than first appears - eg searching who wants your figures, or who has the figures you want, even if a mutual trade is not possible.

So well done Drew!

Now all you need to do is add Star Wars, Superheroes, LOTR, Hobbit, ... :-)
    kylejohnson11indigobox
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 579
    Still here! I'm finishing work on this first version, then looking to do some more cleaning up and adding of features on the next. I'm also on the lookout for a designer to add some colour to the site.
    Glad people seem to like it so far, and thankfully there haven't been any ripping-off issues.
    edited May 2013
    It's been going well for me, although possible trades are starting to dry up. What it really needs now is more users ...

• kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    Hi everyone,

I haven't seen this posted on BrickSet yet, but Drew has listed Project SwapFig on JumpStartCity in order to get funding for a web designer. The way JumpStartCity works is he needs to hit 500 votes in order to reach the funding phase. He is currently at 55 votes.

Here is the link to vote and see the project: http://jumpstartcity.com/events/project-swapfig-minifigure-trading-action

Please vote for Drew and help keep SwapFig rolling along!

Kyle
    MinifigsMe
    Yes , the rumour is true... I'm going to be giving the crowdfunding thing one more go, learning from the experiences of last time. All the information is in Kyle's post above.

I'm still working on the site, and I can't believe how many problems there were from the outset - but I am listening to (most of) the feedback.
    Someone on swapfig now has a Mr Gold available for trade. I'm not sure I'd trust them ... but maybe of use to someone.
    ^ This morning there were three people who supposedly have Mr Gold for trade. One thing to look out for is the date they were last logged in, as well as the rest of their profile contents.
    Okay, here's where I embarrass myself yet again.

I'm still going to give crowdfunding another shot, and the intention is the same (to hire a web designer), but right now I'm very much undecided about where to host the crowdfunding project. (I'm considering three options at the moment.)

I have a revised list of rewards lined up (which includes the tiles and some minifigures), but I'm looking for one or two more suggestions. What would people go for, and at what level?
    Oh yeah, I just got my level 5 trader status ... unlimited trades!
    kylejohnson11
    It seems the trade numbers are up to about 180 so far. I've had 15 completed trades, and three in progress ... so I've been involved in about 10% of all trades!

That's kind of cool, but kind of sad - knowing not many people are using it.

I've also noticed things slowing down a little - presumably this will be very cyclical, as new series come out there will be frantic trading, which dies down until next time.

I wonder if that is a problem with the site. Concerning funding would a web designer really help? I find it really quite easy and intuitive to use. To get more people actively using it, is it down to what you can trade. Would bringing in SW, LOTR, etc. help bring about more trades and thus more click-throughs and revenue to support the site?
    sidersdd
    At the moment I'm working on version 0.3, which will include one particular feature that's been requested a few times (andis taking much longer than I'd anticipated). The crowdfunding project, wherever it will be hosted, is being held back until this version's done.

With regard to the web design, things may be okay for now (and I don't think it looks that bad), but eventually I want to bring in people outside of the LEGOsphere and people who are new to trading, both kids and adults. From my experience as a web developer and a guy, looks matter a heck of a lot to most.
    I could do the designing myself, but it would take a very long time and take away from development time. I also don't want to do everything myself: I want to get other people involved, and that's part of what this whole thing is about.

I will also be looking to add more figures (not just the CMFs) in the near future, and perhaps other things...
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ Please do add more figures. I signed up in the beginning when there were problems and haven't gone back to see if it's fixed as I didn't have anything to trade because series 10 just came out in France this week. I'm very good at feeling the CMFs I want so don't tend to end up with extra therefore I didn't think I'd use your site but I think I'd love this platform to get rid of my extra licensed figures from when I buy multiples or from when they show up in every single set in a theme. Of course all those are waiting for me back in the US so I'm in no rush, I just thought I'd point out that there are people like me out here who may be waiting for that expansion.
    ^^ That sounds good Drew. I find it very easy to use, especially the matching of trades - it seems so simple but works so well. I guess it could look flashier although for me that is not a big deal (I remember designing websites to look good in NCSA Mosaic!.) I've always been a function over design type of guy. I wonder if there could be a simpler entry of haves and wants - maybe more compact so you can see a whole series on screen at once. Non-CMFs would make it have a much wider appeal too.

I understand what you mean about support with the design and coding though. I'd offer to help out but my web developing skills are stuck in about 2003!

edited June 2013
    There is a bit of a bug - if you reach level 5 trader, then you can no longer trade. So just a warning, if you are close to becoming one (I think it is trades with 10 people and 50 minifigs traded or something similar), don't "complete" the transaction or you will not be able to offer trades. I have informed Drew.

unlimited trades ---> rather too limited trades!
    ^ That is now fixed. Warning over!
    Just a quick notice that I will be working (as in an actual job) for the next few weeks, starting Monday, so I probably won't be able to respond incredibly quickly to site issues. Things seem to be fairly stable, however.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Outrageous!
    Just been having a look through the stats ...

http://swapfig.com/statistics

@tyosolo and I had the 100th successful trade back in mid June, which also turned out to be the largest one to date too!

Who is going to beat our record?

khmellymel
    ^ Shame on you for trading so much! We are approaching 200 which is definitely something.

Just wondering if it would be worth having a different thread for general use, as this one was intended for the Kickstarter project.
    I guess a mod could just amend the title.

STILL yet to get my figs in order and see what I have to trade. It's on the list...!

^ Shame on you for trading so much! We are approaching 200 which is definitely something.

Yeah, it's been useful for Series 10! It's fairly quiet now though, I'll be back when S11 is out.
    Okay, I have a draft of a second crowdfunding attempt over on my Flickr account. If you have any suggestions for improvement please let me know.

The main thing right now is that it's no longer a Kickstarter project! I won't be using them again.
    I am a little concerned about the appealing to children bit. Are you going to allow children to set up their own accounts, or will it be adults only but nice for children to view under supervision of an adult?

I'd feel a little uncomfortable if kids are allowed to sign up - partly if they are not responsible and don't send items they have swapped and partly if their parents do not know about it and they swap something they should not.
    Hmmm... I'd have to figure something out to encourage adult supervision rather than let kids create their own accounts - but I want to tap into the "mommy/daddy look at this" effect.
    While I'm looking into the parental supervision thing, I'm running a poll for designs to use for the print reward. You can vote for your favourite picture on this page, or if you have any other suggestions let me know.

I've launched the new project this morning, go and take a look.

http://www.zequs.com/campaign/project-swapfig-minifigure-trading-action
    Great! Pledged, good luck Drew.

I think you should start a new thread though, I don't always check this thread but this was news I wanted to hear. Or ask a mod to amend the title, but given it's a new project I think a new thread is perfectly acceptable!
    I'm going to start a new thread if this is okay - please close this one moderators.
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.