Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Hi from an AFOL in West London!

TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
Hi there!
I joined Brickset about a week ago, after nosing about on the internet trying to find out when new sets were released. Today I checked out the forum, and well, thought I'd introduce myself.
I collect most Lego themes, except City and Duplo, really. Although I've loved Lego all my life, only recently have I turned to serious collecting, as a result of becoming an AFOL a couple of years ago. I now own a fair chunk of Lego sets from the past two or three years (my main speciality). And a few weeks ago, I decided to clear out stuff in my room so I could proudly show off some of my favourite sets. I'm a big fan of non-licensed minifigures and my minifigure collection is proudly dominated by a complete set of Ninjago Serpentine, and well on the way to completing a full set of Chima 2013 figures too. Nonetheless, I own a few licensed figures too. I also collect unusual and rare pieces.
However, my main Lego-related hobby is creating custom Hero Factory models, and I create the heads from scratch, so my models you'll be unlikely to see anywhere else. Will post pics if anyone asks.
But anyway, hi from new forum member TheOneVeyronian!

Comments

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Welcome TOV, seems like a full set of Chima figures could be an expensive hobby.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    @princedraven It is, but just another £140 to spend and it'll be complete :-P
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    Welcome! I only joined 2 months ago but have found everyone here to be really friendly. Enjoy :)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    @TheOneVeyronian I saw in the [email protected] thread that you do some MoC's.
    I would love to see some of your work if you could post a few pictures.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    Er, yeah, please enjoy these pictures.
    Here's my 18k MOC of a minifigure scale mental hospital in LDD. It's fragmented (in several files) since LDD runs too slowly after 11k pieces. The main body and first five floors are attached.
    I've also done a less exciting 1.1k MOC of a spaceship shaped like a Bugatti Veyron. It done almost entirely in black. If you recognise the stand, yes, it is very similar to the UCS Jedi Starfighter stand. I initially also designed it in LDD, so I have instructions available for LDD users too.
    (by the way, sorry if the images are not embedded in the text. I don't know how to put them on like that using images from my computer)
    I have other, smaller MOC's, probably my most prized ones. Might show them if someone is interested. They're not your usual MOC's.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    @TheOneVeyronian - "Not your usual MOCs" you say? Well I am naturally interested now!
    Andor
    @CapnRex101 Yeah, it's because they're made from pieces from the Hero Factory line, but I never liked the heads so I fabricated my own with a bit of paper, aluminium, paint and skill. There's large photos of a couple of them on my BrickLink About Me page:
    http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=hyper_veyronian
    It is my page, I just have a slightly different user name on BrickLink. Just look past my outdated minifigure collection, dragon pictures and stuff, there's photos of my two favourite 'unusual' MOC's near the bottom. I know they probably only have about 90 parts each and are a little unorthodox, but I like them and I believe I'm the only AFOL who does this sort of thing. I also use the bodies in photographic art, including in my profile picture. If you want to see more complex figures, or want to know more, just ask and I'll post them here.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 577
    Welcome to Brickset! Am particularly intrigued by your mental institution in the desert.
    @SilentMode Thanks! Oh no, it's not set in the desert, it's just the background LDD generated so I could take a screenshot. It should be set in a giant man-made crater somewhere in the UK. The building is actually fictional, since as far as I know you don't get these in craters in the UK :-P
    The picture isn't actually a complete model either for reasons I have already stated. I'll provide screenshots of parts of the interior or the top chunk of 8k bricks if anyone is interested to see interior detailing.
    Look closely at the picture of it, though, you may be able to spot the tiniest speck of a minifigure standing by the main doors. That gives you an idea of just how huge this building is. Maybe I'll work on a smaller 'Architecture' style model of the same building so I can show what it should look like when all the floors are added.
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Oh, we do have man-made craters in the UK - they're called "gravel pits" and they've been a staple of Doctor Who stories for 50 years. ;-)
    @carlq I should know that, I'm a geologist by day :-P
    Don't think they'll build mental institutions in gravel pits, though :-P
    Nonetheless, the building's still fictional. The crater would be purpose built. Plus, in the realm of fiction, this building would be in a little/big (delete as appropriate) town called Woking, in Surrey. Don't think it has any buildings like this in real life.
    Now I'm imagining the Time Lord in my MOC, thanks for that :-P It's not even remotely related to Doctor Who :-P
    :-)) - if it helps, you could substitute the good Doctor with Dr Quatermass, instead! ;-P
    @carlq Sorry, no offence, but I've no idea what you're talking about
    My apologies, @TheOneVeyronian; I forget that not everyone here is a) as old and b) as geeky as I am. :-/

Bernard Quatermass was the lead character in some seminal 1950s-on British TV science fiction (the most recent remake was in 2005), and was a big influence on aspects of Doctor Who throughout its history (esp. the Jon Pertwee/UNIT years). For more info, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Quatermass

(and yes, these series made good use of gravel pits, too! ;-)
    @carlq It's ok, I am a geek, just not in science fiction :-P And I'm likely to be one of the youngest AFOL's on here, I'm only approaching my 20th birthday in a couple of months :-P
    P.S. It's perfectly fine to be a geek, sometimes it helps, for instance, on this forum :-P