Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10236 Ewok Village

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,226
    edited May 2013
    ^ I'd laugh if it turned out to just be one huge tree with a bit of treehouse and stuff, and a suggestion on the box that you could combine two or three (a la Horizon Express) to make a proper Ewok village...

Just thought I'd throw that idea in the mix for everyone to be horrified at! ;)
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 858
    ^I'm fully expecting that. One tree with a rope bridge but you need another set to use the bridge right...
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,762

^ I'd laugh if it turned out to just be one huge tree with a bit of treehouse and stuff, and a suggestion on the box that you could combine two or three (a la Horizon Express) to make a proper Ewok village...

It wouldn't surprise me if the box suggests combining two or more sets. But I will be surprised if there is only one tree.

This is what I expect:
    - two trees, each with an integrated hut and platform
    - bridge connecting the trees
    - fire with rotating spit that holds a minifigure
    - stormtrooper helmet drums
    - net trap with trigger
    - wooden throne with "floating" mechanism
    - three Ewoks
    - a baby Ewok
    - Leia in gown
    - Luke and Han in Endor gear
    - Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Just been translating a czech forum discussing the supposed set reveal tomorrow.

Apparantly its:

Over 2kg in weight and has anywhere from 10-24 minifigs

kostky.org/forum/index.php?topic=41334.0

And here is some of the pieces from the set :)

• canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    Those Technic pieces could be from a possible AT-AT or AT-ST, and the dark red connectors from the trees branches.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited June 2013
    I'd like to clarify my position on this set. My little rant (aimed at the price) was meant more in humour than in seriousness, but it didn't come across and I regret it. Sorry everyone. :o)

In fact, I'm always excited by news of a new set, especially a location that we haven't had yet.

It was the price that i'm less enthused by. Its a lot of money, and what i simply meant to ask was 'is it possible that the village alone can occupy the whole cost? And if not, what might they use as filler'.

My worry, when thinking about the film sequences, was that not a lot happens (physically), so that the ewok village (the bit i'd love to see) might end up supplemented by a number of unwelcome subsidiary builds, such as an At-At, which could/should be a set on its own.

I fear the potential for filler, but i hope there is none and we get a magnificent village.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Wouldn't an AT-ST make more sense than an AT-AT?

True, there was an AT-AT at the landing platform... (why, there was no room for it to move!), but the real battle was the AT-STs...

If they try to include those, it will be a shame, because the entire Endor events wouldn't fit that well into it, and we just had the $100 Battle of Endor set that EOLed recently...
    edited June 2013
    ^Oh yes, I agree.

Personally, I'd hate an At-At being included, it makes no sense.

Even an At-St might be slightly annoying, as in my mind, the ewok village has no contact with imperial forces, it being a secluded sanctuary.
    But for 250+ they'll probably have to include the chewie-trap, log-smash, and some of the assault sequences to fill it out... but i might be wrong. It just brings me back to my original point of hoping they don't justify the price with a lot of filler (which i probably have already), when they could just release the village part at a lower price, and if needs be, the filler (At-St's etc) separately.

The at-at was just an extreme example of silly filler that I hope they don't foist on us.

:o)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    On this, we agree. I'm actually hoping for no Imperials of any kind, but again, that's probably a pipe dream. Still, if TLG is smart, this will be a set that's easy to combine multiples of, as I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to buy two or three because they think the official model is too small.
  • vonlanivonlani Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2013
    Here we go : http://www.fbtb.net/2013/06/01/10236-ewok-village-revealed/#more-21475

I have to say it Looks a lot better then i expected. Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of stickers.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    Fantastic. This look great, one model all you could want in a village. Small shame about the lack of ghost jedi figures but I sure they will come as Add ons in time.
    I also love that this set (unintentionally I am sure) bears an uncanny resemblance to the original Kenner Village set from the 80's.
    Happy days....
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    edited June 2013
    Looks really awesome. I plan on picking up at least a couple of them. I like the new rendition of Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. Overall a very cool set with interesting features. Wish they would ugrade Chewies face though, poor Wookie could use some eye balls. Looks like there are two new Ewoks too, Warrior and Teebo. And of course another Speeder Bike....would have been nice to have a new AT-ST. I do not see a whole lot of stickers...unless the toadstools are not printed.
    edited June 2013
    First Impressions:

It looks fantastic at first, and very pleased that there is little filler, but after the initial 'newness' of the images has worn off, some things aren't working for me for the high price - like something is missing - but i need time to properly digest those thoughts. The trees look amazing.

I can say i'm mega-pleased that a trans jedi-trio isn't in this set (but surprised they didn't make this set function as a celebration version too, at the price), as I actually feel it's now a set I can pass on with little regret. It actually feels more like a great result for people who can't afford it.

It's a very nice set, but as someone who owns the battle of Endor set, and plenty of rebel/biker scouts, chewy, R2, 3P0, etc, there's nothing much in the figs that I'm missing out on. Leia looks, i dunno, a bit weird with the cloth skirt.

Right, i'm off to look at the pictures some more.
    I'm sure I'm going to be the odd man out here...

I'm left with a feeling of "meh"...

It is indeed the three trees from the Kenner play set, it is indeed the Ewok village, it indeed does have lots of minifigs.

It does in fact not try to do all of Endor, just the village, as promised... it clearly leaves room for the other big sets...

Maybe it is the part count, the move away from 10 cents per part really bugs me, but clearly I just need to get over that since those days appear to be gone... I said it needed to be 2,500 parts, but alas, no... It does look "big" so perhaps I shouldn't care.

Big shrug of the shoulders here... oh, yes, of course I'll buy one, when Amazon has it for 25% off. :) Not a day 1 purchase however...

(maybe I'm just grumpy today)
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    ^ I won't be buying one so don't feel left out lol!
    Furrysaurus
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Must admit, I haven't been excited for this set, but first impressions it made me go "oh wow". Never been a huge Ewok fan, but think it looks a lot better than I imagined it would.

Definitely a lot more tempted for it than I thought I would be.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    Awesome. When you add #8038 and multiples of #9489 and #7965 you'll have a great set-up.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,354
    It looks great to me, far better than I had expected. The height of the trees is lacking, but somehow it still looks decent and the detail of the village itself makes up for the lack of height in my opinion.

The Minifigures are not bad, I am very much looking forward to the three new Ewoks (one of them says Wicket beneath, but is different to the Minifigure in set #8038) and Leia looks quite nice, but the rest are a little too common for my taste, and there are are far too many re-released Minifigures here.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited June 2013
    I think it looks good, trees look somewhat substantial, although its not really a must have for me. My son on the other hand loves it and funny you mention Leia @legomatt as when my son first saw the picture off Leia he straight away said "why is she mad?". I like the way the top half of the trees rotate, great for playability. Only thing I would have liked to see is a decent size enclosed hut, looks like you only get the smallish holes in the trees.

edited June 2013
    @LegoFanTexas

No, you're not alone. (actually it seems a 50/50 split, some love it, others happy to pass). I tried hard to look for the positives, as I didn't want to pour water on anyone's excitement again, but it's a set I'm happy/relieved to be able to pass, as there's nothing 'must have' in this set for me.

For such a high price I expected anything from:

Trench Coat Solo, Celebration Jedi trio, additional Leia in her bike chase costume, potential for a new chewy, the huts to be fully formed (these look more like tunnels, @Basta i agree - and my first thought was Leia looks pregnant, LOL). The log-trap is much too small and low to the ground... unless you're squashing a polybag chicken-walker. LOL

Yes. I'm very much relieved that I can put the money to something else and not miss out on anything special.

• pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    I've never been a fan of the 10 cents a piece model as I dont value 1X1 dots at the same rate I value 2X4 bricks. To me the price justification is simply "When its done, Do I feel like it was a good value at it's cost. Judging by the pictures I think it will be, especially when paired with #8038 and a few #9489 s

I know most people didnt want it but one AT-ST would have made this set perfect IMO. As it is the only way to get a good one is multiple 8038's =/

There are a few things I am kinda bummed about, the Leia looks just off (like otherssaid, its the "dress". Han not having the trench coat kinda sucks. The no Jedi sucks but I get why they are not there if LEGO didnt think they could be done right. No Vader funeral pyre.

It likely wont be a day one buy but I'll get it when it hits 10% off or so.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    Looking at the figs, I see 7 new/updated - Teebo, Warrior, Scout Trooper, Han, Leia, Wicket and Chirpa
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,226
    Ok, I like Star Wars, but I'm not someone who has to have every set (or even any sets - I don't own any SW Lego sets), but I do like this one.

The trees look great, I love the way they've done the rope bridge, and there's not a sticker in sight!

Am I the only one thinking they could have put an extra 20 pieces in it, just to take it over the 2000 mark?

Will I get it? I dunno. It's a lot of money when I'm not too bothered about Star Wars sets, although the amount of brown, green, and tan elements is tempting me...
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,354
    @roxio - We have already had the same Chief Chirpa Minifigure in set #8038 although his staff is different on this occasion.
    Thing to keep in mind Lego designed this set geared to children not adults. That being said most AFOLS are not impressed with Lego released sets based on piece count, design, and price. While the price is a kicker, Lego knows people will buy this set for themselves, for their kids, or even perhaps both parties. Combining Lego and Star Wars into one puts the demand out there for its customers to buy the sets, depsite the design, piece count, and price. Like it was mentioned above, it just depends on the person as to how much they want the set, and how much they are willing to spend. I think overall this set will do very well based on its design, despite the piece to price ratio. Supply, Demand, Popularity, and fantic Lego and Star Wars fans.
    Dougout
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    edited June 2013
    vonlani said:

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of stickers.

where do you see stickers?
    edited June 2013
    I think this is a pretty good balance between what I wanted it to be and what I expected it to be. It's certainly a set I'll probably end up with two of, though it looks I'm going to need to source a few extra rope bridges to achieve the 'tree network' I'm envisioning.

Additionally, after the disaster of Luke's torso print from the skiff, I have to say I'm impressed by how fantastic this one looks (though I'm not 100% clear on why the belt is printed on his stomach...). Also like the 'new' hair.
    As a playset, it looks pretty nice. But aside from the Ewoks, the minifigures aren't too exciting.

The new Luke torso is too cluttered and overall looks odd. I commend their effort to improve the biker scout, and realize there are limitations, but this update looks so wrong I can't bring myself to like it over the old version. I do like the Leia, and while the skirt does look awkward, I don't particularly like "brick dresses" anyway. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't use this opportunity to include a rebel commando of a different skin color. Also, I'm somewhat confused by the "hard-to-find" C-3PO and Han; I'm fairly certain I already have these two from #9490 Droid Escape and #75003 A-Wing.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    The minifigs looks so shiny. I thought I would be buying every Lego Star Wars set for eternity but I think I am done.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I think it i phenomenal. Love that they designed it to mimic the Kenner set yet also added the fourth three -- I thought it was great just with three and when I saw the fourth I was really impressed.

Anyone else notice the Scout Troopers have black pants, not white ones? That's new.

The video shares a lot of detail that is not in the pics. Love the detail -- the regular drums and helmet drums are there!! Love the AT-ST bashing mallets. The rotating trees is a really nice touch and I am impressed that they thought to do that. Makes it a LOT more playable.

And I did like the point the designer made about why the Luke and Leia figs were included in this set.

It will be interesting to see whether it is truly as stable as promised.

I am impressed. I had predicted that LEGO would have to sacrifice size for playability, figs, or both. I feel like you get all three here. Sure it could have been larger, but I feel that the overall mix of playability and figs makes it worthwhile. Like LFT, I'll still wait for a sale but I am definitely going to look for this one as soon as a sale knocks it down to $200.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Hmmmm nice set but somehow still seems overpriced for 1990 pieces

At least the the UK price isn't the same as the US and europe
    Just a general question... To those who find it less than "wow", would a launch price of $199 change that view?

Given that the set is what it is, at 1990 parts and what you see there, would $199 make it feel any different?

I just finished Town Hall last week, that is a $200 set with 2,700+ parts. This is a $250 set with 2,000 parts.

As @pvancil27 correctly points out, 1x1 dots aren't worth the same as 2x4 bricks, so it isn't really fair, but it still seems, "off" somehow. Perhaps if LEGO put the weight of the bricks rather than the part count, we could use that as a metric, but when they put the part count on the front of the box, that is what we go by.

----------------------

Second question... With large sets like Imperial Shuttle gone (which was $260 for 2,500 parts) and MMV which was 1,600 parts for $100, does Death Star become the odd-man out?

With 3,800 parts for $400 and 24 minifigs, it has become the "deal" in LEGO universe it seems. It also stands up due to size and weight, those 3,800 parts being big parts in general.

If EV does indeed replace DS, how do we all feel about that?

----------------------

Actually, along those lines, I will say this does look bigger in the video than the pictures show, could this indeed be the DS replacement that I didn't expect it to be? It sure is large enough, is it not?
    While the set is really cool, I feel it lacks the "wow" factor of the Death Star. It also falls short on the piece count of the latter. Personally I think the DS still has it beat in features and size.

Just a general question... To those who find it less than "wow", would a launch price of $199 change that view?

Given that the set is what it is, at 1990 parts and what you see there, would $199 make it feel any different?

I just finished Town Hall last week, that is a $200 set with 2,700+ parts. This is a $250 set with 2,000 parts.

As @pvancil27 correctly points out, 1x1 dots aren't worth the same as 2x4 bricks, so it isn't really fair, but it still seems, "off" somehow. Perhaps if LEGO put the weight of the bricks rather than the part count, we could use that as a metric, but when they put the part count on the front of the box, that is what we go by.

----------------------

Second question... With large sets like Imperial Shuttle gone (which was $260 for 2,500 parts) and MMV which was 1,600 parts for $100, does Death Star become the odd-man out?

With 3,800 parts for $400 and 24 minifigs, it has become the "deal" in LEGO universe it seems. It also stands up due to size and weight, those 3,800 parts being big parts in general.

If EV does indeed replace DS, how do we all feel about that?

----------------------

Actually, along those lines, I will say this does look bigger in the video than the pictures show, could this indeed be the DS replacement that I didn't expect it to be? It sure is large enough, is it not?

• thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ It's definitely large enough. I think this will be the DS replacement. It could also have a shelf life as long as the DS or MMV. I like it, I really like it. But... I think I'll hold off for a year or two. This one IMO will be around for a while. No rush.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    I find it hard to compare the Modulars to any SW 10XXX set becasue Mods tend to have much smaller piece sizes on average, but a higher count. Add in the SW premium and it's hard to compare, at least for me.

I dont think the 10cpb is a terrible baseline, but I think you also have to look beyond that for value.

For your questions, I think at 199 it becomes a great deal, while at its 250 srp I think its a pretty fairly priced product.

For the second question, it's a matter of point of view. I think overall it would be a good thing, lower price point opens it to more buyers, replacing something thats have a very long run in lego life terms with a similar playset. All the key hero's are present, only major missing person that would make sense is a Vader. The two negatives is I could see resellers being down on it cause of part count and not being as iconic as the DS, and people who buy sets to part out, I dont think the minis in EV will eat up as large a % as the DS mini's do. That said the earth tones are probably more welcome by others then the mass of grey that the DS is.

I know we all wanted the Jedi's, how about this as a ~40-50$ set in the jan '14 : Endor celebration: The three "Ghost" Jedi, Vader with a funeral pyre, another smaller tree similar to the stand alone from EV and a connecting rope bridge.
    binaryeye said:

The new Luke torso is too cluttered and overall looks odd. I commend their effort to improve the biker scout, and realize there are limitations, but this update looks so wrong I can't bring myself to like it over the old version.

We disagree on Luke, but you're spot on on the scout troopers. The legs are more accurate to be sure, but without any kind of detailing on the arms, they should have stuck with the solid white which didn't make the scout troopers look nearly as 'off' as this version.
    pvancil27 said:

I know we all wanted the Jedi's, how about this as a ~40-50$ set in the jan '14 : Endor celebration: The three "Ghost" Jedi, Vader with a funeral pyre, another smaller tree similar to the stand alone from EV and a connecting rope bridge.

A funeral pyre seems a bit dark for a LEGO product. That's what MOCing is for.
    andhe
    pvancil27 said:

I find it hard to compare the Modulars to any SW 10XXX set becasue Mods tend to have much smaller piece sizes on average, but a higher count. Add in the SW premium and it's hard to compare, at least for me.

Fair enough. It would be interesting to compare the weight of TH built to the weight of EV built. That is, perhaps more useful, than just part count.

Of course, regardless of size, TH does give me 700 more things to snap together. :)

Looking at it again this morning, it has grown on me slightly... Maybe I was just tired last night, but I do see the value in a non-gray Star Wars set.
    pvancil27 said:

I dont think the 10cpb is a terrible baseline, but I think you also have to look beyond that for value.

Yes, #8038 Battle of Endor was a great value. 12 minifigs, 900 parts, for $99, includes multiple things to play with, what a deal!

Looking at this new set against Battle of Endor, which is a better value? #8038 for $99 or this new one for $249?
    pvancil27 said:

Yes, that would work well...

I can see them doing several add-ons to this set...

You know what would have impressed me more? A $499 set that was 4,000+ parts that included the Battle of Endor as well.

Once they finally release that (if they release it) in the scale shown here for the Village, I think I'll like it more.

Give me an Imperial Landing Platform, Shield generator, Secret base, and AT-ST battle to the same scale as this new EV and I'll be a happy guy. :)
    I don't see how that is possible. The DS has more playability options, bigger piece count, and more mini-figures. While this set will more than likely replace it, it lacks the overall qualities the DS possesses.
    thornie said:

^ It's definitely large enough. I think this will be the DS replacement. It could also have a shelf life as long as the DS or MMV. I like it, I really like it. But... I think I'll hold off for a year or two. This one IMO will be around for a while. No rush.

• GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I can say that I am definitely impressed with how it looks, and I called most of the minifigures. Over a foot tall(35cm) and around 2 feet wide, it's pretty big. The trees are done extremely well, and it definitely has a ton of features. I like the true to color new biker scouts, and I am glad they added a couple of stormtroopers as well. The Village Leia is a little weird with the cloth skirt(they should have done a printed ramp dress piece instead). I like the Jedi Luke, but I wish it was more the Endor version with the poncho and hat(Though you could just substitute one of the Commando helmets and the old torso from the Speeder Bike chase set from the 13 year old set lol). I have #8038 and the Ewok Attack sets, so this should go very nicely for a large Endor scene. A must buy.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,359
    To me, it looks OK, but one easy enough to pass on. The new ewoks are nice, but I'm not that impressed with the other new ones. Luke looks stupid with his trousers pulled up to his chest, in the same was as CMF S10 grandpa. I'm not a fan of cloth skirts, so Leia is easy to pass on too.

The bricks themselves, they are OK. I don't think it is spectacular, but OK. The tree trunks look good. Reasonable play area. Decent colours for SW MOCs too. Maybe if it is 30% off.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Love it! I'll really like it for it's size and build. My 5 yr old will love it for it's play features. WIN WIN!
    Looking a bit closer at the trees. Some of them have see through gaps between the bricks. Maybe not so substantial after all. Surely they could have used 10 extra pieces to hide those gaps and brick it up to 2000 pieces.

I like the Jedi Luke, but I wish it was more the Endor version with the poncho and hat(Though you could just substitute one of the Commando helmets and the old torso from the Speeder Bike chase set from the 13 year old set lol).

From watching the video, I believe the creator picked that version of Luke to create the scene where Luke tells Leia she is his sister. I have plenty of extra commandos to make one of them Luke if need be. I agree the Endor set will go well with this one for sure.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Excellent set. I wasn't impressed at first, but after watching the video I definitely am. This must be replacing the DS. I don't think they would put 16 minifigs in it if it wasn't. IMO, the DS's playability is limited from the many small confined sections it is built out of and this is much more open and movable and it seems more playable. A lower price point will let more parents buy it for their kid, but it will still allow AFOLS to be able to buy two to make a bigger MOC village.

From glancing at eBay briefly, it seems the Battle of Endor is already starting to pick up. It will be interesting to see what happens with it now. I'm tempted to buy another Endor. I'm just telling myself I only need one for now.

The Village Leia is a little weird with the cloth skirt (they should have done a printed ramp dress piece instead).

I'm not a fan of the skirt, either, but I would gladly take it over the 'dress ramp.' The only minifig I've seen where that thing was appropriate is Splinter from TMNT, and that's due to the fact that he's SUPPOSED to tower over the other characters.

For me, the best case scenario would be that her legs feature a 'dress print' under that piece of cloth, but if not, I'll live with the fabric.
    Dougout said:

Excellent set. I wasn't impressed at first, but after watching the video I definitely am. This must be replacing the DS. I don't think they would put 16 minifigs in it if it wasn't. IMO, the DS's playability is limited from the many small confined sections it is built out of and this is much more open and movable and it seems more playable. A lower price point will let more parents buy it for their kid, but it will still allow AFOLS to be able to buy two to make a bigger MOC village.

Does it need a second one? Perhaps, but it feels complete the way it is...

I'm also leaning towards it being a DS replacement, the physical size of it, in many ways, is larger than DS. Lots more open space, but that gives kids places to play.

Perhaps in 5 years we'll get a Mk II DS that is 50% bigger with more play space. :)

I can dream, can't I? :)
    I think this may help, to some extent, Battle of Endor, but it will hurt it greatly if rumors really do come out with a $250 Battle of Endor set next year.

What about #7956 - Ewok Attack, what future does that set now have? It is EOL, but does it just get ignored, or may it do better because of this, or no effect?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,334
    edited June 2013
    I can't believe they would try to sell two different $250 Endor sets at the same time. They would just cannibalize each other. The next 10xxx has to be a ship of some sort. Maybe they do a $100 set or an $80 set or something to compliment it but no way do they make two mega sets on the same thing at the same time.

I also think anyone wanting a landing pad will need to MOC it. The amount of parts required to make it would be huge and there is no business case for any demographic, AFoLs included, for what would be $200-250 bley platform. Not even flick fire missiles on the sides would jazz that up enough to be anything other than 'Most Boring Set of All Time'.
    A couple of extra speeders might swing it :-)
    FollowsClosely