Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you have a system on how you buy your legos that are discontinued?

OldLegoOldLego Member Posts: 28
So I'm relatively new to getting back into legos...and now I'm on fire as far as building and wanting to collect and where the heck am I going to fit all these models...etc...etc...etc.

I've of course scoured ebay for my technic and Star Wars UCS models...and even bought one off of ebay. That being said, I've also been looking at Bricklink recently. The prices I see there...are usually better than Ebay and it looks like much wider selection and control over things such as box and instruction conditions.

When there is just one thing I'm focussing on...I would think simple...look on ebay for that item...check bricklink...buy the better deal.

When I'm just looking...I was thinking something pops up on ebay I like...I think use bricklink as well to maybe get a higher quality item if available.

For you real collectors...do you have a "process" you follow?

I've also started at least looking at Craigslist...and looking for garage sales/yard sales on weekends.

Thanks for any advice you have...I'll be around for a while...

chuck

Comments

• pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    I don't buy nearly as much as some people on this site but a few thing you can do is:

-go to Walmart, Target, etc. about once a week or so and check the clearance isle
    -check goodwill every now and again
    -use camelcamelcamel to set a price threshold for an item you want (from amazon).

These are the only things I do and when it comes to Legos in the big stores like Target, I usually won't buy until at least 30% off...usually more.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    If I have missed a set for sale and its going for above RRP I chalk it down to experience and look for sets that are available
    pillpod
  • OldLegoOldLego Member Posts: 28
    I'm talking about sets that are no longer available in Walmart, Target, or the Lego stores...discontinued for the most part.

I have been watching all of those as well since I figure the cheapest I'll ever find items is for retail or retail on sale.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,137
    I typically look at ebay to gauge where the market is at the moment. You are right about having more "control" on bricklink. Of course, when an item is discontinued it is hard to tell if the price will rise or fall and how quickly. But I go to bricklink for all my collection needs once I am comfortable with prices elsewhere. If you strictly are concerned with something that is discontinued this would be your best bet.

Things like goodwill and yard/garage sales are simply lottery wins in my opinion.
    Oldfan
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I usually just check eBay and forums. I usually determine what I really want before trying to buy discontinued set so I do not use all my cash on lego.
    Right now I am trying to finish my sw ucs sets and large sculptures.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Just let me know what you’re looking and I'll save you the trouble of all that hunting for a good price! Seriously though, try posting what you’re looking for on the Marketplace forum and you will probably get many good responses from the Brickset community.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,137
    Yeah the forums I am finding have become quite useful, I think over time as we establish ourselves more here, and if HUW updates the site maybe we can increase our mechanism we have right here for purchasing, trading, selling, etc?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,298
    The Amazon bargain watch is incredibly useful for finding the best deals, often on sets which are nearing EOL but also on some newer ones.

Other than that, I simply scour eBay. While it is a (very) long shot, try searching eBay for sets which have been titled ineffectively. For instance, I often find sets which have been labelled with just the set number rather than the actual set name, and those usually go for very low prices as few people find them.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,298

if HUW updates the site maybe we can increase our mechanism we have right here for purchasing, trading, selling, etc?

Update it how? There is already a mechanism for purchasing, trading, selling, etc. here.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,933
    Ebay, toy shops, BL. Garage sales, other markets perhaps (like flea markets or Goodwill)
    But I have heard that more and more the 'eBay effect' has been occurring at these other venues.
    That is people think their tub of LEGO is going to go for 300 dollars, because they saw something similar go for that on eBay, despite its condition or completeness.
    I will say if you want a specific set buy the set as more often than naught you will pay through the noise n LEGO lots

• Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    On E-bay you can sometimes get a good deal by searching a broad category like "Lego City" or "Lego Castle" instead of the set number. Yea you have alot of items to fish through but sometimes you can find a set that was not listed well and missed by the more specific searches. I was able to get the Lego Cargo Plane (7734) complete for the opening bid because the person listing it didnt give a good enough definition. I searched "Lego Cargo"

Also dont let your emotions get you into a bidding war and cost you money. Set a max price you are willing to pay for a set and stick with it. you may miss today but keep at it and you will get what you want.

Im looking for the Guarded Inn (10000, or 6067) My willing price point is about $65 plus reasonable shipping. I have lost a couple sets because I lost the bids for a couple $$$