Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any new clearance Lego at Walmart?

malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
edited July 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
I notice that KMart and Target have been adding to their Legos on clearance. Has anyone seen anything similar yet at Walmart? I am new to looking at store clearances for Lego. Does Walmart do their clearance at a certain time of year? I am looking to pick up some deals like I did after Christmas.
Thanks

Comments

• dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    i picked up a couple copies of the Magikus game for 2 bucks each at walmart... just for parts... now what to do with 8 transgreen wands...
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 808
    After hearing about the $2 Magikus at Wally's I went back to my local Wal-Marts and could only find them for either $5 or still at regular price. Wal-Mart's clearance is never as good as Target (usually). I did see the Slave 1 for $59 and the Clone Wars Tank that retails for $120 for $100.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Should mention im in Canada and stumbled upon that deal, never saw any advertised sale
  • malachirobertsonmalachirobertson Indiana, USAMember Posts: 268
    My experience at Wal-Mart after Christmas was great. Several sets that were being discontinued or at least no longer carried at Wal-Mart were 50% off. I got the heads up on the sale on-line. So I picked up ARC-170 for about $30 and two midi-scale Star Destroyers for $16 each. I was thinking Wal-Mart might be discontinuing the sale of some items here in the summer because new items are coming out. Of course the stock varies quite a bit per store.
    Today I went by the Walmart where I got those earlier deals. I didn't see any indications of new clearance, but I did note a few interesting items discounted. Slave I was discounted to about $60 (from $80) and the Clone Turbo Tank to about $100 (from $120). Then there was the fire boat at about $35 (from $50?). I talked to an associate about when they might clear the shelves some and get the new sets. He thought that this would happen by the end of the month. A bit of difference from other stores, like Target, which are already rolling out new sets.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    Toy Story Train for $54 in the Pacific Northwest.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited August 2011
    ^^ that's better than the discounts I saw last week. The sets you mention and a few others all had shelf tags discounting the prices 98 cents. So, the Clone Turbo Tank "Was $119.98, Now $119.00". I don't know why they even bothered tagging all of them :p
  • datkiddedatkidde Member Posts: 108
    I found 7596-1 [Trash Compactor Escape] for $24 today at Walmart.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,230
    They had the MMV for only 90 online for a few weeks, then sol out of them and the EN is a few dollars off online now I believe ($97 USD and change)
    I visited my favored Walmart again today. There was no change in the items that I saw before (fire boat, turbo tank, slave 1), but I did note that the price change had been made back at 7/15/11. Still, some new items were discounted with red clearance labels on the shelves, dated to 8/3/11. The few racers there were discounted. Also Lotso's Truck and the City Fire Station. Some Duplo Cars Movie sets and a couple of Hero Factory sets were also discounted. I don't recall the exact discounts, but I am guessing that it ranged from 10 - 25 %.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    Creationary was on clearance at my local Walmart for $25. Not too shabby.
    I went to a different Walmart today. Some of the same clearance items, but no discount on the SW sets. A couple of clearance items that stood out to me were the Lego Airport at about $80 instead of $100 and Lego Airplane Set (it is a Bricks and More set) for $13 instead of $20. This Walmart also had two of the new SW sets, Ewok Set and Night Speeder set. I forgot to look at the Creationary Game.
    I went to my favorite Walmart today. Everything looked the same pricewise. I noticed this time though that a large Pharoah Quest set was discounted back at 8/3/11. They were doing inventory all over the store. It looks like they had done some of it in toys. They did have two of the new SW sets, the Night Speeder and Mace Windu's Starfighter. Mace Windu's Starfighter seems to be exclusive to Walmart and costs $39.97. Creationary was not discounted.
  • typocorrectotypocorrecto Member Posts: 196
    They bundled LEGO City Marina and City Harbor for $99, that's 29% off...nice...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-City-Marina-and-City-Harbor-Construction-Set-Bundle/17196371
  • BinaryCodeBinaryCode Member Posts: 15
    Found 7948 Outpost Attack on clearance at my Walmart for $13 (Down from $20)
  • CCLINCCLIN United StatesMember Posts: 23
    Didn't see much at the Walmart near where I live a few days ago. Did pick up the last couple of the knight's showdown (7950) for $5 (not much but I like the Kingdom sets). They had some of the Toy Story sets (Round-up for $35), the City airplane 3181 at $27, the airport at $84, and fire station at $70. Nothing compared to the Target clearance a few weeks ago.
  • AlHazredAlHazred Member Posts: 14
    Why are they never on-sale by me?! Argh! At best, my local Target have some of the SW sets at $10 off.
  • AlHazredAlHazred Member Posts: 14
    I checked both Targets convenient to me here in NJ. They had exactly the same deals, all on Star Wars stuff: 20% off 7929 The Battle of Naboo and 7956 Ewok Attack, and I think 7959 Geonosian Starfighter, and 10% off 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack, 7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack, 7964 Republic Frigate, and 7965 Millennium Falcon. Nothing really appealing to me, at least at those prices.
  • ChipmunkianChipmunkian Member Posts: 7
    One So Cal Walmart had Rise of the Sphinx at $15, but none on the shelf, another had Isla de la Muerta at $5, I took the last one.
  • ZathrasZathras Member Posts: 70
    I've always had a bit of luck when it comes to catching clearance lego at Walmart.

Back in 2005 I found a Star Wars 4502 for $13. Then again last year I snagged a Star Wars 7675 for $48.

Tonight I happened upon these Harry Potter sets on clearance:
    4842 Hogwarts Castle $32
    4840 The Burrow $15
    4738 Hagrid's Hut $10
    4736 Freeing Dobby $2.75

Strangely though, their clearance section had several other SW/Potc/games/Hero Factory sets with red "clearance" price stickers with the normal RRP. While the HP deals were still on the shelves in the Lego section.
    I talked to an associate at my favored Walmart today. He said that the toy department was gearing up for a summer clearance. He said that they hope to be all set up by next Thursday.
  • ParkGradesParkGrades Member Posts: 106
    Went to a Fry's Marketplace in Scottsdale yesterday and they had 50% off:
    7641-1: City Corner
    3181-1: Passenger Plane
    7976-1: Ocean Speeder
    7977-1: Seabed Strider
    7978-1: Angler Attack
    8077-1: Atlantis Exploration HQ
    8085-1: Freeco Speeder
    7915-1: Imperial V-wing Starfighter
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    ^malachirobertson,
    When would you think is the best time to go to Walmart? During the week as they set up, or on Friday?
    Thanks.
    Well, let me say first that I am a neebie to all this searching for bargain Lego.

That being said, I am tempted to wait even later unless I happen to be in the area of the Walmart. I say this because I think they may just be moving the stock to one location. They already discounted some sets early in the month. I am hoping that they discount things further, but I suspect my desire to see that this week is wishful thinking. They way that I found out about the discounts after last Christmas was from Slickdeals.net. I get an email notification whenever "lego" appears in a posting. One thing posted last week was the same as I found on my own. The only surprise in the last month was a person getting the Hogwarts Castle for $35. Zathras seems to have gotten a similar deal.

Hope this helps.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 992
    None of my local Wal Marts seem to have the 8098 Clone Turbo Tank. Anyone else still seeing it on shelves, whether in the clearance or regular toy aisles?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited August 2011
    I was late to one Wal-Mart that already had a dedicated clearance aisle and most toys marked at 50% off. There were no 8098's to be found in the clearance or regular aisle, and I took solace in not seeing a shelf tag in the clearance aisle for it.

At two other Wal-Marts that have not yet pushed stock out to clearance, 8098 was on the shelves at full price.
    edited August 2011
    There was one Clone Turbo Tank left last Friday at my favored Walmart in Northern Indiana. It was at about $100. Let me add though that it did not have the regular clearance sticker (red), neither did Slave I. Hard to say what the price might once the clearance is more official.
  • SutterCaneSutterCane Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2011
    Was just at a Walmart (Southeast Mass) and also snagged an Outpost Attack 7948 and Passenger Plane 7893 for $13 and $27 respectively. They weren't in the clearance aisle, nor did they have a red clearance sticker on them. There was a very small, generic white sticker on the box itself with the new price. I would have completely missed it had I not taken the Outpost box off the shelf to look at it, then I went over the whole aisle with a hawk eye looking for others and saw the one on the plane.

There were also a slew of 8098 for $120, which I'm assuming is reg price.

Also, many of the sets had a white piece of paper over or next to the price that had a bunch of mumbo jumbo on it. It was nothing for the customers (no prduct name, or price, or anything like that) but something for the employees. Looked almost like a form of a packing slips or something. I have no idea what they were, but hoping that they might be marking certain sets for clearance or a price drop. I dunno, anyone know what they are about?
    I went to a different Walmart in my area today -- not the one that I have found deals at before. They appeared to have no clearance! I was stunned. City Fire and Atlantis were gone from the shelves. Not to mention racers. New stuff from City Marina, City Space, and Alien Conquest were in their places. The smaller new SW were in place, but there was an empty spot for the Frigate. Are Walmart's like Target where each store does things a little differently? I am still keeping my eye out particularly for SW sets on clearance.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Picked up the Freeco Speeder and Plo Koon's starfighter for $17 ea. today. Also saw one copy of the Scorpion Pyramid for $66. There were other sets on sale, but only at 10-15%.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    edited August 2011
    @wagnerml2: Any Freeco Speeders left? Which Walmart was it?
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @sonsofsceva It was at the Belleville Wal Mart across from SW Illinois College. They had the lego clearance in 2 separate areas. The Freeco, Starfighter and Pyramid were in the general merchandise clearance section. I bought the only Freeco they had, had three Starfighters left and one Pyramid. They had other lego in the clearance section of the Toy Department. These were not as deeply discounted. I several Freecos there on Monday, but they rung up at $23. I didn;t check there today. There may be more Freecos there that would ring up at $17. Good luck.
    Well, I went to my favored Walmart today. This Walmart had several sets moved to a special aisle including the one that I want, the Slave I. I was right about the price change. There wasn't any. In fact, it seems silly to have so many sets with red clearance tags but still the full price. I didn't see the Clone Turbo Tank though. Not sure where it went. At this Walmart they did have the same SW sets as wagnerml2 mentioned in the clearance aisle, but at full price. All the City Fire lego sets were there too. Oh and then the Droid Tri-Fighter. The associate that I talked to had no idea when deeper price cuts would happen. I am thinking of giving them a phone call every week to see whether things go down.
  • PerryMakesPerryMakes Member Posts: 73
    ^ I found the exact situation at one of the two stores I visited this evening. It was only with LEGO - most (if not all) of the other "clearance" items were marked down ... not LEGO ... it's related to other situations we've seen this year where retailers have noticed trends with LEGO that have them believing that the demand is high enough to warrant little to no additional benefits to the customer. It sucks.

But some good news... I found Zorgs for $13 - and there are A BUNCH of them. If anyone is interested in a trade, let me know.
    Zorgs = #7591-1 Construct-a-Zurg. My bad.
    edited August 2011
    Was able to pick up #7597 Western Train Chase at Wal-Mart for $54. They also have #30132 Captain Jack Sparrow for $4 if anyone still needs this figure.

edit: sucks links don't work from the forum... any reason why this forum is a seperate site from Brickset? Apart from visual similarities, they really feel like two different sites...
  • SutterCaneSutterCane Member Posts: 21
    My local walmart has like 2 full boxes of Series 4 minifigs for $1.50 each.

Also picked up http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7977-1 for $6, and they had some Hero things, those small creator packs, and some Duplo stuff all on clearance as well.

None of it was in the Lego isle, or the normal clearance isle but in the "miscellaneous junk we don't know what to do with" isle in the corner of the store. Thinking about going back tomorrow to get more minifigs. 6 = $10 isn't a bad deal at all!
    I went back to that Walmart that appeared to have no clearance (again Northern Indiana). Now they have it all set up. I saw lots of different sets, some in good quantity (like 5 or so). BUT ... no discount. The prices were printed up yesterday (8/31) or today (9/1). I don't understand. Clearance typically means a sale price, not MSRP. Also, this Walmart just got in some Series 4 CMF. Noticed one had already been stolen, not the first time seeing this. Anyway, the price was $2.97.
    My wife and I were at Wal Mart this week and my wife was in the clearance section and overheard a district manager tell an employee that he wanted to see the LEGO discounted by 50% because no one was going to buy them at the minuscule discount they were at in the horrible state that the aisle was in. I'll be heading there early this morning to see what I score. Hopefully the store listened to the DM and I walk out of there with a few Slave 1's, a Turbo Tank and a Fire Dept. More news at 11.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    edited September 2011
    I had the same experience with the red clearance stickers for RRP at Walmart. My son was so excited when he saw the huge "clearance" section, but then was very disappointed when I told him they weren't really on clearance. I feel sorry for the suckers who fall for these shenanigans.
    edited September 2011
    Prices haven't changed at WalMart. I guess this store doesn't have to listen to District Managers!
  • joseph289joseph289 Member Posts: 6
    I work for Wal-Mart and the manager haft to follow the DM or get written up. As for clearance I have not seen any yet in the toy clearance area but i check tonight in the other clearance area. Just wait till after Christmas the lot of the toys will be on clearance.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    I go to this WalMart every day to buy groceries, and I check the clearance isle all the time. Found some great deals in the past there, but lately they had a bunch of sets on the "clearance" isle with no discount at all... until today! None of these were actually marked down on the shelves, but after I scanned some of them, I found Lava Dragon and Robo Champ LEGO games for $2.50 each! Some Cars duplo sets normally $14.97 for $4.00, Creator 5764 for $8.50 (usually $16.99), Atlantis 7977 for $4.00 (Usually $9.99), and 5930 for $6.00 (usually $11.99), so most of the sets were 50% and some even more! I got all of the sets available at these prices, except for Robo Champ, which I got only one (not good for parts and the game is not that interesting). They still have about 40 Robo Champ in stock. Other sets they had over there, but were not discounted are Freeco Speeder, City Airport, City Fire Dept., City Fire Truck, Sponge Bob Krusty Krab Adventures. I'll keep both eyes opened for those, because as soon as they slash them 50% off, I'm grabbing them!
    Yeah, the one Walmart that I went to had many of the sets coolpix noted. And they were well stocked.
    Still not marked down at this local Wal Mart. Now it has been about a week since my wife overheard the DM telling employees to further reduce the prices on the LEGO in the clearance aisle and nothing has changed. Remarkably, the sets that were there last week are still there this morning.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 346
    Wal-Mart is so inconsistent, it's almost not worth checking on a regular basis. Clearance items may not actually be on clearance. If they are, they may not be marked as such. They may be reduced, but still stocked in the regular aisle with no reduction on the sign. If actually on clearance and marked, they could be in any number of places throughout the store.

The odd good find is always nice at Wal-Mart (I happened to find the Portal of Atlantis set for $49 back in the spring), but I much prefer the level of organization Target has, despite the admittedly inconsistent price reductions.
    Has me wanting to swing by the store where I saw several SW sets in the clearance section with red labels, but still priced the same as before.
    World Racers - Blizzard's Peak today for $31. Damn I'm a sucker for a sale.
    I went by a Walmart today and the prices appear mostly unchanged from August 25th when the labels were printed. Unless I just looked at the scanner wrong Woody's Roundup went from $35 to $33. That was the only change that I saw. Admittedly, I didn't feel like scanning much after the first few sets came up unchanged.
  • bluishgreybluishgrey Member Posts: 10
    My local WalMart did something weird: A few weeks ago they started to move their Lego to a different aisle and make room for some of the newer City and Star Wars sets. They had a lot of Potter and POTC left on the old shelves, so I figured it wouldn't be long until they got moved to clearance. I diligently checked once a day for about a week to see if anything would change; the old lego aisle became increasingly messy and random with other toys crowding the shelves and the large amounts of unsold Potter and Pirates remained there. Then, the next day and all of the POTC is gone as well as the Potter train that I had my eyes on. The new Lego aisle still is not completely stocked and there are no tagged spaces for the sets that disappered, also there is nothing new in clearance either. I don't understand why they wouldn't leave the sets out for sale if they weren't going to discount them?