Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Best way to sell CMF's

I have been pondering on selling methods for CMF's for quite a while. I've seen it done quite a few ways. As an open set of 16, a sealed but felt set of 16, single blind packs, single open minifigs, incomplete sets of the 16, etc.

Is there a better method out of these? Is there a method I didn't touch on?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,113
    There are other ways - sealed box, for example. There is no best way. Different buyers want different things. Individual sealed may net more for popular figs, but less for less popular ones and you might end up doong 16x more work compared to selling as a set.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^Trying to understand the above. Are you saying a sealed, non-popular CMF will net less than the same fig opened?

In any event, a good condition, sealed, identified pack will likely get you the best $. That is assuming you can find packs that are not dog-eared or otherwise mangled.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,147
    ^I think his point was, for less popular figs, you're better selling them as part of a set, where their value increases due to them completing a set, rather than just being an unwanted individual fig.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Ok, that makes sense, but I wonder if the gain would be offset by the net loss you'd experience on the popular ones. Shrug.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,113
    edited May 2013
    Non-popular ones sell better in a set ... but only if the person wants the whole set. If they have all the freq 6 ones in S10 for example, they probably won't want to buy the whole set again just for the freq 2 ones. If they are really not popular and frequent (mechanic and skydiver), they are really not going to be worth much. They might not even sell.

It might be better to sell a popular one and a less popular one for $5 than sell a popular one for $3.50 and not be able to sell the less popular one. Same argument scales up to a set.

If you sell the figures in a set individually, then it can be up to 16x more work which needs to be taken into account.

Of course, a non-popular one sealed will net more if it is unidentified, as it might be a popular one - you never know until it is identified. You will see many auctions on ebay where there are 10 "random" / blind packs. The rose tinted view will be that they are random packs. There might even be Mr Gold. The more cynical view will be that they are all mechanics and skydivers as they have been felt up, with maybe one other figure thrown in to make it look like they were not cherry picked. Especially if the seller sells open figures, chances are the sealed ones are the dogs, and not random.
    andhe