Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bricklinking Green Grocer

Comments

• fy222fy222 Member Posts: 182

I've looked at this just recently, and (assuming you swap the sand green 1x8 bricks with 1x4s) it'll cost you approx £220, not including postage.

If you really want to use Sand Green 1x8s, add about £130 to that.

It showed as £265.57 when swapped 1X8s by 2 1X4s, and £332.07 when not.
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    Just started to get back into Legos and the modular buildings quickly caught my eye.

Since Green Grocer is so expensive to buy I've decided to try my hand at buying the pieces individually. My question which pieces to this set are say harder to find or key to building it? I'm trying to get the more rare pieces first. Also what are some good sites that sell pieces separately? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    You should be able to find most of the information in this thread: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4434/bricklinking-green-grocer
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,101
    Doing this myself. Rare pieces are:

3x Reddish brown 1x4 with viper pattern
    4x White 'Train' window
    50x Sand Green 1x8 brick
    1x minifig hair (can't remember which one)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited March 2013
    if you don't care about 100% original piece match you can swap out some items and still achieve the same general end result, which would be mostly unnoticeable to all but the most serious collector:

- sand green 1x8s can be replaced with 1x4s or 1x6/1x2.
    - train windows can be swapped out for regular windows (this is actually an improvement since you can add glass and the window looks better). had the regular window been made back in 2008, the set would have had it instead of a train window anyway
    - viper pattern tile can be replaced with - well, lots of things
    - blue arches (canopy) are expensive - can swap with a color of your choosing (i did the medium blue)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    If you have the means, get yourself a true Green Grocer sooner rather than later. Whether you can afford a used or new one (or either) is up to you. I'm only saying that a) I feel it has not peaked yet and b) It's just such an awesome set to not have a complete original copy of
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 318
    I have read of people using the haunted house to get many of the pieces needed for the green grocer. Is that worthwhile compared to bricklinking the entire thing? About how much would it cost to bricklink the remaining pieces?
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    What about the sand green BRICK 1X2 W. GROOVE. That looks extremly expensive. Any advice on replacements? Thanks,
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    edited May 2013

I have read of people using the haunted house to get many of the pieces needed for the green grocer. Is that worthwhile compared to bricklinking the entire thing? About how much would it cost to bricklink the remaining pieces?

If you want the exact sand green pieces to make GG, HH won't help you out that much.

What about the sand green BRICK 1X2 W. GROOVE. That looks extremly expensive. Any advice on replacements? Thanks,

Yep. This is the most important rare piece that you can't swap without either changing the color scheme or a major component of the facade my advice on this one is to try and source them

• RainingBoroSi02RainingBoroSi02 NCMember Posts: 59

You can get them from the Lego "replacement" program. If I recall, they weren't too bad.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    They were out of stock last time I checked even though you could add them to your cart. Please correct me if something has changed within the last month...
    ^ Correct. A part I counted on costing me about £6 in total (from TLG) ended up costing me £27 from Bricklink.

That is now the main killer piece for this set. I got them fairly cheap on BL (39p each I think), I don't think they'll stay that way.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Does any one know how many more pieces you need if you get a haunted house, I can do the math tonight if no one knows off hand thanks
    edited May 2013
    Using rebrickable to find out, you would need another 1808 pieces if you had #10228 Haunted House.
    I'm just waiting on two orders now. I ordered them last Friday and paid last Saturday morning. BL is saying they've not even been shipped yet, just 'packed'.

I mean, c'mon! One of the orders is only three pieces for goodness sake! Not amused.
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    sometimes it gets packed, shipped and delivered before they change the status.
    I understand that, but I placed 7 other orders at the same time, the last of which was delivered on Tuesday! One of them was delivered on the Saturday, even though I'd only placed the order Friday afternoon... Now that's service, and I'll definitely be using them again.

Does any one know how many more pieces you need if you get a haunted house, I can do the math tonight if no one knows off hand thanks

Using rebrickable to find out, you would need another 1808 pieces if you had #10228 Haunted House.

Yeah, HH doesn't get you much. Also, as I mentioned before, the sand green bricks from GG are a lighter color than the green in the Haunted House.

• ZathrasZathras Member Posts: 70
    I was able to source all the grooved 1x2 sand green bricks from a particular BL seller back in January. They arrived in perfect shape but it took roughly 5 weeks for the order.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Fire Brigade will get you almost 43% there
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Paper ballpark what is that rebrickable thing you said you used and where can I find it
    Google it.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 318
    The HH does not help if you want an EXACT replica of GG but if you substitute the green bricks used in the HH then it should get you pretty close right?
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @Picopirate -- export both list into Excel and do an H lookup or color each list, and sort by parts. Still think HH really wont get you there.
    Pitfall69
  • harrelmusicharrelmusic Member Posts: 65
    The difference in total number of sand green in terms of stud count isn't that far off and the HH may actually cover it. I'm on my phone so my spreadsheet capabilities aren't up to snuff. We can go back and forth on this some more but the point is, HH has some great pieces and a lot of the sand green can be used to build a GG, albeit not an exact replica. I did something similar to this, then proceeded to sandwich it between two other modulars. What does mine even look like on the sides? I'm not a purist so I'm not all that concerned. Now let's just get some set that has a lot of dark blue so I can get the Market Street finished without having to find it all on BL. :-)
    Well, if you are not a purist, then why bother using sand green on the sides of the building at all? If your "GG" is sandwiched between 2 other buildings, you will only need sand green where it shows.
    Trust me, I considered LBG on the sides. Ha
    Pitfall69
    Currently; how much will it cost you to Bricklink all the sand green needed for GG?
    edited May 2013
    ^ it cost me about £63 for all the sand green I need, from both Bricklink and TLG. Mostly TLG, I only bought Sand Green Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Groove from Bricklink, and then only because TLG has discontinued it.

Breaking down to:

Pieces Part No. Description Total Price
    35 3005 Sand Green Brick 1 x 1 £2.94
    25 3004 Sand Green Brick 1 x 2 £3
    54 3622 Sand Green Brick 1 x 3 £9.07
    91 3010 Sand Green Brick 1 x 4 £17.47
    25 3009 Sand Green Brick 1 x 6 £7.87
    56 4216 Sand Green Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Groove £21.84
    7 3937 Sand Green Hinge Brick 1 x 2 Base £0.84
    harrelmusic
    Ok. So about $95 [USD]. HH is $179.99? Unless you are using the other parts from HH for other MOC's, is it really worth buying HH just for the Sand Green?
    Maybe purchase the HH on AFOL appreciation day? Don't forget pocketing the VIP points. This is the point where I just admit to being a huge fan of the HH too and all the minifigs and nice parts that come with it . ;-)
    I agree. The minifigures are great
    edited May 2013

Trust me, I considered LBG on the sides. Ha

I actually did this. I bricklinked my GG before the HH and the LotR 1st wave sets came out. It was for my own use alongside the other modulars, so I don't care about it being pure. From the front, it's 99% accurate, as are the interior details. it looks nearly identical to the actual set, sitting on the shelf in between the CC and the PS. This was good enough for me. Only die hard LEGO modular fans would even know it's not accurate to the original. Every one in my life just think it looks really cool, along with the rest of the set.

• luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited May 2013
    I've built one in sand blue subbing in parts from the pet shop in place of the sand green (the stud count for PS is about 600 for sand blue parts, compared to 760 for GG so I had to find a few more). This also involves changing the layout for 1x6s, 1x4s and 1x1s rather than 1x8s and 1x3s.

I then thought the blue on blue canopy didn't look so great which would save a bit more as those 1x3x2 arch parts seem to have rocketed in price over the past few months. (sorry about the photos, it's gone a bit dark so my lighting's not great)

However, couldn't resist picking up some sand green over time in any case - so I now have a sand green petshop!
  • RainingBoroSi02RainingBoroSi02 NCMember Posts: 59
    ^ I love that. Really like the blue/tan combo.

What do you think of just using 1x2 bricks in place of the groved ones? I know it adds texture, but would it be better than paying $1/brick?
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ You can see pics of that from the URL in Glendo's post above. Looks fine to me.

http://aussielegofans.forummotion.com/t987p15-moc-my-bricklinked-modular-green-grocer

Time to bump this thread. Has anyone Bricklinked a Green Grocer recently? How much did it cost?
    MrJ_NYJawascrump
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    1 Million dollars :p

I would like to, but the 56 x Sand Green 1x2 bricks with grove will cost me about $140AUD so I haven't taken the plunge yet. If I do it I'll be substituting the 1x8 Sand Green bricks with 1x4's.
    MrJ_NY
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
    I did a few months ago, with substitutions, Sand Blue for Sand Green and Brick 1x8 by 1x4 (as there is/was no 1x8 Sand Blue) and the Hidden Sand Green Hinges by black, cost was $250-260 for the bricks, $30 for instructions, no box.
    MrJ_NY
    Interesting. I would have forgone the instructions and put $30 into bricks
    $30 would only have covered a tiny fraction of the sand green bricks and everything else is there :)
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I bl'ed one last year as well for a few hundred bucks. I had several new sand greens already in my inventory though and subbed the sand green 1x8s for a combination of 1x2s, 1x4s, and 1x6s. The prices on some of the sand greens have had steep increases since then though. The modified sand green 1x2's run close to $3.00 a piece now and you need 56 of them. So, you will have close to $170 in it before you even get started.

Let that sink in for a second... You will pay the same amount or more for just 56 bricks as you would any of the currently available Modulars. Yikes!
    Pitfall69FollowsClosely
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    It seems like a lot of people opt for the sand blue grocers now to keep the price down. While I think the sand blue versions look nice, I never would want to take the Green out of the Green Grocer. Another option that I think looks ok is simply subbing the modified sand green 1x2s with regular 1x2s. The 56 bricks needed for the facade will now cost < $10. Yes, the aesthetic will take a step backwards but it really doesn't look as bad as you may think. Someone posted a pic here of a grocer with that substitution made once. I don't remember who it was but I thought it may have been @Paperballpark‌.
    When building #40120 VD Dinner, I wondered how the GC would look like using the Sand Green 1x2 with Masonry Profile, that might be an option too.
    ^I would hate to get VD after dinner.
    jasorricecake
  • jpczjpcz Member Posts: 95
    All this talk lately about GG...I'm wanting to break mine open and build it! I have one of every modular, and love to build them (all but GG, TH, PC have been built). But the price for a sealed one is holding me back from cracking it open. I would not want to have to bricklink one seeing some of the comments in this thead re:prices.
    ^Sell your sealed copy and Bricklink a copy.
    Jonn420
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    I actually bought the 1x2 grooved bricks a while back when they were cheap as I figured they'd jump up in price. I haven't actually got around to bricklinking the rest of the set yet....