Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

3724-1: LEGO Dragon. Opinions and questions.

MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
I see a few hundred people own this, but I cant find the dimensions of it. Does anyone know how tall this dragon is? Anyone love it or hate it? It may be my next Bricklink model, if I can't buy it anywhere...

Comments

• pookiepookie Member Posts: 155
    Brickset notes say 15" high
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    Ah! Thanks! How did I miss that??
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,243
    pookie said:

Brickset notes say 15" high

Having just measured it I can confirm that. Maybe a fraction more including the baseplate, actually.

;-)
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    If your not a total purist I have seen this done in red instead of green which still looks great. But it would be a whole lot easier to source all the red bricks instead of the green ones. Can't quite remember what colour they did his tongue though.
    I saw it on Bricklink for sale as both black with red tongue or red with yellow tongue. I'm not always a purist when it comes to sets... #3724 Would just be something to go next to #3723.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 871
    How hard is it to bricklink in green? @DrDave, do I remember reading you did this?

I can see how the 2x2 corner bricks and 2x8 bricks are rare, but the 2x2s are still in production so presumably available from Lego in some quantity, can you sub 2x4s for the 2x8s if you don't need to be purist, or does it lose structural integrity?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,243
    edited April 2013
    luckyruss said:

How hard is it to bricklink in green? @DrDave, do I remember reading you did this?

I can see how the 2x2 corner bricks and 2x8 bricks are rare, but the 2x2s are still in production so presumably available from Lego in some quantity, can you sub 2x4s for the 2x8s if you don't need to be purist, or does it lose structural integrity?

Yep, you're right - I did Bricklink it, and with all the correct parts to boot, although I needed some help from a long-time fellow AFOL to source the green 2x8's out of his personal stash as there seemingly weren't any available anywhere in sufficient quantity. You can see my account of the project at the URL below.

http://gimmelego.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/here-there-be-dragons.html

I'm pretty sure that you could substitute 2 x 4's for 2 x 8's, although it might be worth downloading the instructions to check that it won't cause problems.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I've just decided that this is going to be my next BrickLink project too (my my own display, not for sale or perfection).

Instead of green 2x8s (which would indeed be horrible at £3 each), I've just placed an order for lots of 2x8 plates. This makes the brick version 28p (full calculation including postage from Poland). As far as I can see there doesn't look to be anything else super rare or expensive (2x2 corner bricks are the next biggest qty x price). My sheet suggests, the whole thing will come in under £150 including postage, and I haven't gone through my own collection yet.

I went to the trouble of recolouring someones LDD version to see if I could save some money by not using green on some bricks. There are definitely a handful of bricks which are not seen, but it's not enough to make a big difference.
    edited May 2013
    Just a little bump as I've just finished building my Bricklinked dragon. Great responses from my family who think he's very cute.

I built in in green but with focussed on display so with substitutions where necessary. I used some different coloured 2x6 bricks on the inside, and 3 2x8 plates instead of 2x8 bricks. I also have not yet been able to find 1x2 technic bricks without resorting to 4 orders with just one of that brick in. I've substituted bley for now and it seems that only 2 of them are actually visible.

I spent £115 at Bricklink including postage which is pretty good. I got a few of the bricks 2x4 and 1x4 on PaB walls and had some in my collection already. But I also over spent on a couple of BrickLink orders from sellers I probably wouldn't use again.

My family want me to build a pink one now, but that may be beyond me!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Ive had to BL one now...
    JenniDiggydoes
    Ive just worked out, I think, that you could use one 1x2 brick with axle hole and one with a normal hole and then the relevant connector. Just ordered a couple of the 1x2 with axle holes, which cost pennies, to test it.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076

Ive had to BL one now...

I guess me too!

Let me know if either of you want my spreadsheet. It's not quite as detailed as others I've put together, but it does show my actual purchase price, including postage, of each part, which may be a useful guide (or target to beat in a couple of stupid cases.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Probably too late as I've already sourced almost all my parts. But thank you.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    I remember reading @drdavewatford 's blog about this little fella' and this thread has rekindled my interest... does any of you kind people have any tips / suggestions for getting started?
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    It is a cute dragon and it reminds me of the dragons from Dragon Tales that my kids like to watch on TV. I think a pink one would look alot like Cassie!

^ I'd say to start you have to decide if you want to make a model for your own display or you want to reproduce the original set. If you're happy to display, there are some things you can do to bring the cost down - replace 2x8 bricks with 3 plates, use different colours for some internal bricks. The dragon is pretty solid, so many of the 2x8 bricks could be replaced with 2 2x4s, or 2x6s with 2 2x3s etc.

There are a large number of 2x2 corner plates and bricks, which can't really be substituted so focus on getting those on Bricklink first.
    edited May 2013
    ^ It's for display, so whilst I'm usually a stickler for following the instructions, I can make a few exceptions this time around.

Thanks for the tips...
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    Could you use any of these in green, @leemcg ?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2458

Rare, but really cheap.

If anyone is going to do this, I highly recommend @leemcg 's spreadsheets. He should charge for them!
    edited May 2013
    Even better @coachie, in fact to my mind an improvement on the original as you don't see the grey pin. Although I already have the cross hole bricks on their way.

And this spreadsheet isn't anything like as comprehensive as the 10179 one, best not to big it up too much!
    ^ @leemcg - I'd be very grateful if I could have sight of your spreadsheet, please.

Struggling with BrickLink to add the appropriate quantities when parting out the set into my wanted list, so something sensible would be most appreciated.
    edited May 2013
    @Renegade007cjh The best way to get quantities into your wanted list is to start with the part out functionality.

Go here:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=3724-1

Choose "Part Out", under "On Wanted lists" in the middle.

Then make sure you tick "Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventory" on the next page.

Once you've got that you'll be able to make any edits you need.

If you'd like my speadsheet, then drop me a private message with your email address.

Regards
    Lee
    ^ Ah, it was the "minimum desired quantity" box that I missed (I'd done the rest of the steps, but the the quantities were all blank).

Thanks very much for that!

PM coming your way.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    Just finished building my color change of 3724.

Jonn420Poochyadiemctiminchicagocarlqsnowhitie
    ^oh Grrrr. I like red so much. Too bad I just did my big BL order in green on Sunday...
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^ yeah when this thread popped up I figured everyone that was talking about it would be doing the green and I didn't want to compete on BL for the parts so I switched it out.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Wow! Looks Great...
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,818
    I still have my set mint in box someplace...
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @Russell844 is it for sale?
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,818
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz, nope, sorry. I plan to build it for display once I have a place to display it.
    AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    No problem. Enjoy the build!
    @never_too_old_4_lego‌ Gorgeous assortment. The random brick dragon is nice. And the background is what? A mural?
  • It's the wallpaper in my dining room. I always wanted a mountain view!
    BrickDancerAndorLegoboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,700
    edited December 2014
    "Have you seen the littlen? So high?"
    "So high you say."