Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Found Mr. Gold and all heck broke loose!!!

Comments

• DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    I think you are making the right decision here. Good for you guys. He must be pretty stoked.

LegolandCAmom
  • PolynicesPolynices United StatesMember Posts: 25
    Send your story to the morons at LEGO that approved of creating Mr. Gold in the first place. This sort of trauma was 100% guaranteed to occur.

You have my sympathies.
    yys4uMathBuilder
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    You never forget feeling cheated by your parents. My dad diddled me out of the windfall that came when the Abbey national went PLC. I was about 12 at the time and was assured that the £300ish windfall from the account that I had was being put into my account. I thought no more about it until I was scraping money together for my first car and thought I has about £700 in there all in (including windfall and £250 balance i'd had in there since 12, untouched). There was a tenner there! It is a slightly different siituation, I was actually robbed by my dad, and we weren't hard-up.

My point is that you just don't forget things like that and if E thinks he was robbed then he'll be grinding an axe for a long while.

Letting E keep a hold of the minifig and having bought B 2 minifigs at the time (i'm presuming in lieu of "Mr Gold", unless E also got 2 minifigs) then he'll definitely be thinking in his mind that it is his to own. Being given guardianship of the fig reinforces his belief that he owns it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    ^ If my kids think that I "robbed" them by doing something similar, then I'll be happy to send them a bill for all the expenses of raising them, less what I "owe" them.

You think you were robbed by your dad? How much, exactly, did he spend on you as a kid?

The way I figure it, I owe my Mother about a million bucks, between childbirth, food and shelter, and all the time spent with me for 18 years.

:)
    indigoboxmadforLEGODarthhenry1
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If you decide to let E keep it, there should be an agreement that teasing his brother in any way will cause it to be put away. As to whether he should be allowed to keep it, I can tell you this decision will be a long lasting memory. When I was young there was a Zippy Monkey stuffed toy I had longed for as a Christmas gift. In an effort to fulfill a daughter's wish my mother hand made the monkey and in an effort to make it look store bought she took the shoes from my favorite doll to put on Zippy. I never played with that monkey once I knew where those shoes came from. I didn't mind he was hand made, as I loved the things my mom hand made for me, but she betrayed my trust by stealing those shoes. Trust is a hard thing to earn back!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited May 2013
    @LegoFanTexas Let's NOT go there (what we owe parents), shall we. It's an ages old debate, that goes round in circles, and is utterly dependent on what kind of childhood each of us had/what kind of parents we had.

Some people believe parents are owed instant and eternal gratitude for everything they do/did, other people believe respect and trust is mutually earned, and that the child's life is the enrichment the parent receives.
    Everything is relative (unintended pun) to circumstances, and cannot be resolved in general discussion - but will generate angry comments.

The OT has been resolved, so I think we should end the topic before it goes off on an unwanted tangent.

For the record: I have very little money, but would keep mr gold. The happiness I'd get from making such a lucky find is worth more to me (thinking that I am one of just 5000 people in the world to own one) than the money i'd get for it.

atkinsarLostInTranslationmargotGothamConstructionCoBrickDancerLootefiskLegobutterflymadforLEGOJonn420
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    As a parent, children need to know at an early age they do not always get what they want. In the end it is the parents decison to decide what is best for their children, not the other way around. In this case I would try to resolve the issue by trying to explain why figure should be kept in pristine condition and in a safe place. If they refuse I would still take possesion to keep or sell it at a later time...to use towards other purchases to not only benefit both of them, but in the long run such as college fund, other Lego sets, and etc. If they hold that over my head for the rest of their lives....well that is just trivial if you ask me. A parent has a responsiblity to know what is best for their children, even though said children may not understand it that time. Life is full of dissapointments, its just the way it goes.

I do wish the OP and her children the best of luck. Congrats on finding Mr. Gold!
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    Compromise. Sell Mr Gold. Buy loads of great lego sets with 50% of the sale and bank the rest. Both parties are happy then.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308

As a parent, children need to know at an early age they do not always get what they want. In the end it is the parents decison to decide what is best for their children, not the other way around. In this case I would try to resolve the issue by trying to explain why figure should be kept in pristine condition and in a safe place. If they refuse I would still take possesion to keep or sell it at a later time

Disagree that a parent always decides what's best for their child.. if you don't let your child make some decisions and experience failure as well as success then they won't mature into capable adults.
    As far as explaining that you think the figure should be kept pristine and safe that's just not going to fly. The boys went into a toy store looking for a toy. Had it been explained ahead of time that they were looking for a valuable collectible that was going to be sold if found it might have gone over. So if the mom decides now that she is going to take the Mr. Gold for financial gain she is teaching her kids a terrible lesson. Basically, that it's ok to go back on your word and it's ok to screw people over or to try to bribe them for your own financial gain. And @SiE , same thing. Kids are smart enough to understand that you are bribing them. If they are willing to trade the Mr. Gold for other Lego sets then fine, but they already said they didn't want to do that.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,441
    legomatt said:

The OT has been resolved, so I think we should end the topic before it goes off on an unwanted tangent.

@LegoMatt has an excellent point here. The OP has already made their decision, and the OT has been resolved.

Goodness knows we will all have different opinions upon parenting, so lets save our breath please :o)
    Pitfall69
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I think for me, if my little boy and I found Mr Gold on an outing I'd frame him for us and hang him in my son's bedroom. That way he is protected from dust and we can look at him when ever we want.

I am glad it is all sorted @LegolandCAmom :)
    Legobutterfly
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    @LegolandCAmom would you be kind enough to pop us an update in a month or so.
    It would be nice to know if he eventually brings you and your boy's joy.
    LegolandCAmom
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    One thing to remember, while he might be selling for $500-$600 right now, that is going to go down. Almost exactly a year ago I got one of the exclusive LEGO Store Grand Opening LEGO Store sets. Back then they were selling for updwards of $300, but now they are selling for much less. It was hard to think about opening it when it was 'worth' $300, but now that the price has dropped that idea isn't quite so painful.

If one of my kids picked a Mr. Gold, it would be theirs to do with as they please. If they want to sell it, so be it. If they want to keep it, fine. If they want to play with it, it's a toy and that is their choice. I'd try to educate them on the ramifications of some of those decisions, but the choice would be theirs.

Now, if I picked one up, having two kids I think he'd be framed and put on the wall. I couldn't give it to one kid without starting something, and I find the idea of selling any of our LEGO horrifying, so I think he'd stay here, but in a place of honor.

Now, this is all theoretical, since I'm fairly sure I won't accidentally find a Mr. Gold, and having completed my Series 10 I have pretty much stopped checking packets. I still on occasion check a few older Series when I run into them, even though I don't need them... some of the figures I like enough that I'd pick up another if I found it... but I'm not going out of my way to find Mr. Gold... he isn't that desirable to me and I have no doubt he'd create some family drama as this story illustrates.
  • LegolandCAmomLegolandCAmom Member Posts: 32
    Bag is now torn 1/3 across : /. I got upset as I said we had a deal that for now u can have him if he stays in the bag. I said we need to just sit on it for a while and really think about it. Of course he's a kid and can't help himself. Maybe I should have just given it to him all the way, or just completely kept him. Not sure how his value would be now. I said to E that he very well may change his mind in the future and just having found him and having him built inside the bag to look at should make him happy enough for now anyways. This kid always says he hates me anyways for saying things like do chores and homework and go to bed at night. His behavior is so bad honestly he does not deserve it IMO but admittedly I did not want to make things even worse with him as ESP. With his autistic brain hell obsess and never forget. However he's had a very rough year this year since starting middle school and has been bullied really bad by 1 kid and his "girlfriend" he liked just "dumped him" on Monday so I felt bad for him as he hardly has any friends and his best one is moving at the end of the school year. So then I feel sorry for him and think I should just let him open it already . I'm an indecisive person sometimes so can make things worse but if u heard the way this kid talked to me sometimes you'd say forget him. He's very disrespectful to his father too and grades are not doing well but he's already had his major Xmas gift taken away for months now until grades and behavior improve which they haven't, his beloved iPod touch which was a major mistake IMO, he is clearly not mature enough for one.
    P.s. this kid has been a MAJOR lego fanatic/fan since like 3rd grade. It's just the last 6mon or so he got into minecraft but he has a huge shelf going across the wall up high full of Legos , under the bed, garage etc. it all started when a neighbor boy got a power miners set and it was his next obsession.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308
    edited May 2013
    So, I'm going to change my mind and say that I think you should sell it and let each boy choose one big Lego set of their choice. Because as it stands now no one is happy and the situation sounds like it's only going to deteriorate. And if you give it to him straight out it's only going to cause fighting between your sons.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be able to keep from tearing that package and I'm way older than 11.

Make a decision though...
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Does he have LEGO Minecraft already? I assume so but it would be something to tempt him with if you haven't already!
    He made his own lego minecraft, he does a lot of custom sets I've always praised him for his creativity and talent... He's always been quite good at Legos, like well above his age level. I did suggest lego minecraft set in the past tho. Last set I can remember is the building academy with the Halloween looking set. The grandparents have helped fund a lot of the Legos and the iPod for bdays and Xmas.
    Little bro seems to have calmed down a lot about not getting Mr. G but I'm sure it would still make him jealous.
    Too bad I can't set up a voting poll on here lol... I'm going to talk to a couple friends about it. Grandma said put in the safe.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 651
    ^@LegolandCAmom

IMO this has gone way beyond the initial question/statement/post. What you are now posting is far removed from the joys of finding Mr. Gold. Your concerns now, especially the latest post, should be taken up with your son's school social worker and/or psychologist. This forum really is not the place to obtain the kind of help that you seem to be in need of. Please leave that to the professionals. You and your family will benefit from that far more than seeking opinions from this forum.

Everyone here is very well meaning, but this has gone beyond a discussion of "to open or not to open." This is obviously a much more complex situation and most of us are not qualified to assist with this, nor is this the appropriate place to obtain the kind of info you seem to be seeking at this point.

Please be assured, I am not judging, just trying to help.
    margotcaperberryLegoFanTexassidersddAnseltheCatdougtsprincedravenlego007
    Trust me I have been in much communication with professionals and ppl at his school in general and this is another thing to bring up now. I guess I should leave the thread it's ran it's course. I'll kindly excuse myself now.
    Tnx again for all the input & responses.
    ^ Please don't leave the forum, we need more Mom's here. :)

Sorry about the issues and I wish you only the best. My wife (who is a doctor) has worked with a number of autistic kids and from what she tells me, it is a daily battle and only you (as the parent) really understand what that is.

I would not presume to know or understand, without having to live it, so my heart goes out to you. Whatever you do, best of luck... :)
    Deadareusmargotprincedraven
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    Maybe I'm not that one who should advise you in this situation as I know basically nothing about autistic kids, but I got an idea. By any chance, do you have any minifigure which is even slightly similiar to Mr. Gold? I mean most important is his top hat, so your son would think it's Mr. Gold. So what I think is that you should spray the minifigure with some gold spray ( I dont know how are these sprays called, but I think you get the point anyway...) so it will resemble Mr. Gold. Secondly you should put it in original pack(where you got Real Mr Gold from) and then give it to your kid. I think he wont notice any changes, unless he knows design of the minifigure well... If your family is in bad financial situation, I wouldn't hesite and I'd sell Mr Gold. He is too young to understand that, so don't feel bad. Alternatively you could also give him something which he really wants, this should compensate Mr. Gold. That's just my idea though... :)
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    They just got series 10 in the store downtown and of course I was excited, but then I was literally saying to my wife "but if I did find a figure that was worth $500 would I keep it or sell it because we REALLY need the money right now!" While I was in the store two children walked in with their mother and I heard the mother saying "we could just buy him a minifigure" so I'm assuming they were buying a gift for someone else. Buying series 10 is like buying lottery tickets right now. I would never give one as a gift. I hate to say it but you should never have even bought series 10 in the first place knowing that the chances of getting two are pretty much impossible. Second, if you need the money sell it, or if you're not going to sell it give it to the child who found it and let him play with it if that's what he wants to do. It's a TOY! Toys are meant to be played with not hoarded!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,642
    edited May 2013
    Unless that toy goes for 500 bucks..
    I get that it is a TOY, but a piece of plastic that someone will be crazy enough to buy for 500 dollars? Then let them.
    It reminds me of a conversation I had with my buddy if he found a LEGO set worth 1000 dollars.
    He said he'd sell it in a heartbeat, I asked why and he responded that it is a really just a pile of plastic and there are far more worthwhile things to buy with that money.

But I would not let a kid play with a 500 dollar figure, especially if it is only gold plated. If that causes issues, so be it. Why would you let a kid play with a valuable item that would ultimately cause that item to lose its value? Especially if he is going to 'lord' it over his siblings? I know there are special situations involved here, but lets remember it is a very rare and valuable item that people are crazy enough to pay that kind of money for.

If I found one I'd probably keep it long enough to take a picture with it in my hand or something, but I'd probably sell it ultimately, as I cannot normally barter a LEGO fig does not pay for food, utilities, insurance, etc.

Like @chuxtoybox says, if someone were afraid of this scenario, then maybe the packs should not have been bought in the first place.

I do feel for parent here, and hope that you find a way to peaceably resolve this issue though. I do not envy your position.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    Oh boy. Yeah. I knew where this was going to go as soon as I read the OT. It seems that every thread seems to go off in every direction. Everyone has there own opinions and that's great, but the only one that can raise your own children is you :)

I don't think Mr. Gold is creating the the behavior that we have witnessed. We all need to be civil, but unfortunately that doesn't happen all the time. When people get trampled to death during a Black Friday sale, that is on the people and NOT because of the sale.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    edited May 2013
    Quick question. You said E already registered his Gold online?
    Legofantexas:

Tnx :). I'll have to check this site out more some time. E is always hogging the computer for minecraft and downloaded a bunch of modifiers and now it's extremely slow, think we have viruses and need to take it in. Now after he's torn the bag partway, says he regrets it and might want to sell it after all. So fickle... I'm just wondering if we should hang onto it a long time hoping value will go up or sell while its still "hot." My friend was like look what happened with beanie babies and now are worth nothing.

I know I said I was done here, but now that he has said he thinks he wants to sell it, wondering when is the best time so if anyone has input on that that's appreciated ;) I might contact lego for their opinion and how past rare minifigs have done. Hubby says he found it so he gets the $$$ so I'm not going to go against my husband on that but think we need to help him make some good choices and say maybe half has to go into the bank for him.

Legofantexas I just meant I was done on the thread but like I said I will have to check this site out more some time. BTW what part of TX? We lived in SA 3 yrs and to the other guy who said he lives in redondo beach, that's too weird as my husband grew up there and we have tons of family there : P. we go there all the time.

I tried posting the previous post earlier but it wasn't letting me. I wrote that after legofantexas post now i see there are a few more posts. legoprods yes he registered him and the package is torn and i know no one would believe we didn't take him out after it was torn as it's big enough to squeeze pieces through, so wondering if i should take it out of the bag and sell "as is." I contacted a guy on eBay whose son found one and posted on his auction about a similar situation. He said he and his wife tried to convince their son to keep it sealed but of course the boy had to open it. And a few days later the son decides to sell it. So MY ADVICE is if your child happens to find Mr. Gold, don't let them have it at least a week as children are so fickle and can easily be "over it" in a week's time, or in my case and this other man's, a few days!!! I do regret letting him handle the package now but my child is sort of a special case and was having some sort of manic episode the night I took it from him and would NOT leave me alone about it for one second and I caved, what can I say?? Maybe I'm not a tough enough mom but this kid wears on you like you wouldn't believe. Almost 12yrs. of dealing with an extra strong-willed, stubborn, obsessive child wears on you quite a bit.

However the other guy said his son will give part to charity, what a kid! My son is thinking only of himself of course : / I just want half to go into the bank then I guess I'll be ok him spending the other half as I really don't want to hear about it the rest of my life... and trust me this kid WOULD bug me about it the rest of my life!!!!!!!!
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,441

I'm just wondering if we should hang onto it a long time hoping value will go up or sell while its still "hot."

@LegolandCAmom- I strongly, strongly advise you to sell it now. Prices have been decreasing the past two-three weeks, and are continuing to do so now.

If you choose to wait, you won't see these prices again for quite some time.
    0909090 he would know the difference trust me. It would be hard to duplicate the black tuxedo and face.

For the ppl who said I never should have bought series 10 in the first place, come on... you really think I thought we'd actually find one and would have thought so far ahead to imagine all the possible outcomes and scenarios??? We were just having a little fun one day after school and were shocked to actually find him!! What was intended to be a little fun outing for my kids after school, turned into all of this... I still don't regret it because at least part of the money will be put away and my son has learned a lesson, he regrets ripping the bag and admits he should have been more self-controlled and perhaps listened to mom and dad. He said he just couldn't help himself. Well he is just a kid, and I guess we all learned something from this scenario. I think I just may buy my younger boy an imitation one off eBay if he says he still really wants it. He says he does not want the real Mr. Gold to go. But he is also 7 and he'll get over it, he's much more easy going than his big brother.
  • maquesmaques HungaryMember Posts: 96
    Gold Ninja for both? Or even Golden Dragon sets (70503)?
    Ok I agree I think we are going to sell it sooner than later, I just did some googling and read some different discussions on this topic. Someone said eBay takes 10% and Paypal 3% is that true?? That seems like a big chunk.

If anyone wants to make me an offer to avoid eBay fees, I am listening ;) I'd only do it through Paypal. Only with E's blessing of course lol, I don't think I would have sold it if he was that against it, I wouldn't want to hear it forever and have him be that upset with me. But since he's decided, then it's a different story now...
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    "Charlie, don't sell it. There's going to be lots of money in the world-they print more everyday-but no matter what, there are only going to be 5 of these golden tickets." - Grandpa Joe, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Let the kid keep him.
    BrickDancer
    and with a 600 million jackpot tonight I did just have to buy some lotto tickets lol...
    LostInTranslation
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    TBA, who didn't?
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2013

Also not that all the $$$ should be spent on him but I would give him something I guess but honestly the $$$ should go to BILLS but not like kids understand that!

Here's your answer, bills are more important. Mr Gold is valuable, sell it, buy them something small and get the bills out of the way. Life is more important. It's not even a cool looking figure, only it's value is making it appealing,

How many days before the kids are 'over' Mr Gold and moved onto something else?

PS: Don't be too tough on yourself, raising kids is hard at times and Autism makes it even harder.

Pitfall69cardgenius
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    I just wanted to chime and and send some hugs your way. My 11 year old is on the autism spectrum. He loves Lego. A few years back he was really into Disney Vinylmations. He ended up with some really valuable ones. It was hard for hubby and I to not want to sell them.However, he is very anal in how he takes care of everything. About a year and a half later he decided to sell them and made $2000. We put the money in the bank and let him spend a little bit. Kids on the spectrum have a hard time understanding change and taking it away is not as simple as it is for someone without Autism. They don't understand the complexity of bills and why they should give it up to make more money today. My son would be fixated on the situation and not let it go. I love the idea that others have suggested of framing it.
    As far as bulling and the other problems..my heart goes out to you. You can pm me anytime. It is heartbreaking as a parent to go through any of that. I love my kids more than anything...and when they hurt you hurt. I hope you stay on this forum...we do need more moms. Hugs....:o)
    LegolandCAmom
    Tnx momof2boys :). Younger one is actually dx pdd-nos. he's a sweetie and quite a hand flapper ;). Not sure how to pm yet, sure it's not hard. I used to use the handle momof2boys for a long time on another site.

Well it's listed now we'll see how it goes. Feel a bit sad to see him go lol... But we gotta be sensible here ;)
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    @LegolandCAmom if you click on momof2boys99 name it takes you to her profile page and in the top right hand corner is the message button, if you click on it you can then privately message her :)
    momof2boys99
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Like @samiam391 already quoted in another thread,sell it now and maybe (if your son regrets that you've sold it one day) get another one off ebay/bricklink when the prices have come down (and they surely will!)! That will be a win-win! This is a figure that is "hot"as long as Series 10 is still fresh,but once S11 will be released and a lot more Mr.Golds have been found the prices will def.go down,i'm pretty sure in a few month you'll be able to get a Goldie for under $100!
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    This is not a comment directed specifically for this women's situation. Most people are saying "sell the toy, it's worth $500". I am an AFOL and I collect CMFs and if I found a Mr. Gold, given my current financial situation, of course I would sell it. Let's turn this around though. You have a child who collects CMFs. He wants Mr. Gold. You know he wants Mr. Gold. You bring him to the toy store and lo and behold, they have series 10! Your child get's excited! Can I have one? You say yes, and maybe you'll get lucky and find Mr. Gold. Miraculously, without feeling every bag, he cracks a Mr. Gold! Do you now rip it from his hands and say, this is worth $500, we're selling this!? Or do you let him do what he wants with it? Teach him that it's valuable? Yes. teach him that he should take care of things given to him no matter what they are? Yes. I don't have kids and I'm trying not to turn this into a "you don't know how to raise your children" thread. I'm directing this to the parents who's kids collect Lego for the love of Lego and trying to ask a sincere theoretical question. This is MO and not meant to offend anyone. :)
    Bludchylde1

I don't have kids and I'm trying not to turn this into a "you don't know how to raise your children" thread.

With all due respect, once I had children, I learned very quickly not to take advice from people without children. :)
    cardgeniussidersddFollowsCloselyYellowcastle
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099

The way I figure it, I owe my Mother about a million bucks, between childbirth, food and shelter, and all the time spent with me for 18 years.

:)

The payback comes when you have kids of your own.
  • GreenArrow57GreenArrow57 GBMember Posts: 71
    For my 2cents worth, I think you are doing the right thing and as someone else said, remember the fuss over Beanie Babies. I know some toys will go up in value, but they can go down too. Good luck whatever happens!
    LegolandCAmom
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,474

I don't have kids and I'm trying not to turn this into a "you don't know how to raise your children" thread.

With all due respect, once I had children, I learned very quickly not to take advice from people without children. :)
    And after a while you learn not to take advice from people with children either! All kids are different and (hopefully) you know your own kids better than anyone else.
    Lego2012LegoFanTexasMorkManBludchylde1Yellowcastle
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,474

Ok I agree I think we are going to sell it sooner than later, I just did some googling and read some different discussions on this topic. Someone said eBay takes 10% and Paypal 3% is that true?? That seems like a big chunk.

It is a big chunk. But if you can sell it for $500 on ebay with an increased audience or $3-400 elsewhere, then the fees are small compared to the extra gain.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    @legolandcamom

I've read this thread and a lot of good points were made. I know little about autism, so know even less about raising an autistic child. But, I am a parent of two boys. So, here's my advice, for whatever it's worth.

Just take your time and I truly believe it will all work out. I can tell you truly love your kids. They know that. Your heart will help you work it out.

First thing - I would flip a switch in your brain and consider finding Mr Gold a good thing. A very good thing. And, not for the obvious reasons. :-)

Events like this in life are very special and memorable, so know that and take advantage of it. Consider this a huge teachable moment in the raising of your kids and in so doing make it as positive as possible. I don't think the decision you make is anywhere as important as how you handle this situation. What is conveyed is very important. Stay on the positive. Don't get in a rush to decide anything, because there's no reason to rush.

It is correct. You are the adult. So, be glad in that and take charge of the situation. Talk this out with your kids. And, do so as much as is needed. You can teach many life lessons through what is happening. I mean, you sure have their attention on this, don't you? :-) You can talk about not gloating about good fortune. You can talk about how special it is to find a Mr. Gold and how exciting it was. You can talk about how valuable Mr. Gold is and that any decision about Mr. Gold should be given a lot of thought and consideration. You can talk about how special it would be to put Mr. Gold on display so that you could show Mr. Gold to others and retell the story. You can sell Mr. Gold and have fun in deciding what to do with the money. You can talk about not making quick decisions. There are so many things your kids can learn from this.

I would just take your time and try to come to a mutual decision that everyone is happy with. Take advantage of this situation and wring every good thing out of it that you can. In the end, it won't matter so much what happens with Mr. Gold. But, it will matter how the decision is made, who is involved, how much the kids are treated like adults, how much their suggestions and ideas mattered. Those things are what are gold. Not Mr. Gold. :-)
    margotLegobutterflyLegoFanTexasGoldfreekLegolandCAmomYellowcastle