Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Found Mr. Gold and all heck broke loose!!!

LegolandCAmomLegolandCAmom Member Posts: 32
edited May 2013 in Everything else LEGO
ok so I have 2 boys E and B. Both have autism. We have passes to Legoland CA. So since I "like" Legoland CA on Facebook I see a post about open house at the new hotel and I think I'll take the kids after school.

We tour the hotel then slip into Legoland b4 closing. We went to a store but then decided to go to another. I felt maybe 30 bags and B who is 7 was SO hoping to find Mr. Gold. Well E who is 11 felt a top hat on his 3rd bag and has me feel it. we have squeezed many mini figure bags in our day lol and he's quite good. I couldn't believe what I was feeling, I thought surely Legoland employees have already felt all the bags. We purchased, cut and confirmed!!! I showed the employees.

So B is now crying on the floor and the workers were so sweet to give him a few goodies to try and cheer him up. He cried the whole way home and E was gloating. B continued to cry for an hour after we got home, he REALLY wanted Mr. Gold. I'm trying to say how awesome it is we got 1 at all.

So E registered his, so then I decide it's going to our bank safe ASAP. He keeps trying to open it and I keep saying NO!!! He wants to open it and play and keep it forever. He freaks out when I say we should sell it (our family is struggling financially). He was obsessing BAD and having a "big boy tantrum" I.e. "Aspie episode" (Asperger's Syndrome) cursing and saying I stole it, he hates me and its the worst day of his life.

So if I sell it, I will NEVER hear the end of it!!!!!! If he keeps it, he will open it and devalue it. I let him build it IN the package. I drove them, I paid for it, I am the MOM and our family could really use the money. But he IS the one who found it. But his behavior is AWFUL and he will keep rubbing it in B's face and not even let him touch it.

I kinda wish I never found you Mr. Gold!!! The chaos it already brought our family is ridiculous!! Yes I know my son is undeserving but he is also disabled so plz not too rough in your responses thanks : /

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,385
    edited May 2013
    Wow, that's hard. I can understand a kid wanting to just play with it, after all it's 'just lego' but I guess they don't understand howe much it could be 'worth'. Could you offer to buy him something else (eg a set) with some of the proceeds?
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited May 2013
    ^^ Any chance you could buy 2 'really cool' sets for them and exchange with E?
    So both boys 'win' but you get to sell the fig and make the cash you need?

Most 7 and 11 year olds would prefer a big Lego set than one single gold figure surely? Or even get them a nice set they can both have and buy 2xTC-14's off ebay. You would still be quids in and they keep some 'shiny'.
    andheSirKevbagslegomattGothamConstructionCoGuroooBuriedinBricksnerick906
  • LegolandCAmomLegolandCAmom Member Posts: 32
    P. S. I said to E b4 opening it, if this is Mr. Gold, we will all split the $$$ but he was like no way. I asked B about getting him an imitation one off eBay and he was like no way. Sheesh hard to please kids... Yeah I know they sound bad but remember they are both disabled and B is actually a very sweet kid.
    Princes raven not a bad idea but they already have many sets from over the years and I could suggest that but They are both obsessing over Mr. G!

P.S. not sure i posted in the right forum section? Should this be under collecting probably??
    Sorry prince draven it's doing auto correct on the spelling
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    I hate to say it, but yes, you probably will never be able to live it down. Even after they're adults and more reasonable, they'll still dig you about it. (I accidentally ran over a turtle once and my grown kids STILL call me Turtle-Killer.) I'd suggest giving it a little time, don't sell it right away, wait a couple of months if possible. at least SOME of the furor may die down, and then don't talk about the sale in front of them.
    Oldfan
    Deja u think I should let them open it? Worried that will bring the value way down. I told E u may think u want to keep this piece of plastic forever, but u very well may change your mind in the future!!! Also that he may regret opening and devaluing it.
    I'm also like what's $500 plus compared to hearing about this the rest of my life u know?!?
    edited May 2013

Also that he may regret opening and devaluing it.

No 'may' involved. He WILL regret it.

It is a cheap piece of shiny plastic, and you can currently sell it for about the price of an iPad!

Sometimes as a parent you need to do what you know is the right thing for your kids.
    You currently have one kid who is upset and one that is using something to make the first even more upset. I say remove the cause of the argument and use the money wisely, as an 11 and 7 year old would not understand, but a mother would.
    andheicey117Furrysauruslego007
    Andhe I have pointed out to E several times that this is like having cash and he could get something really cool with the $$$!! He desperately wants his own (used) computer to play minecraft with but I don't really want him having his own computer.
    I even said we could go to Disneyland in August for their bdays but no go!!
    edited May 2013
    ^ Unfortunatly part of our jobs as parents is to let our kids down :-)
    FurrysaurusOldfan
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited May 2013
    This ^. Excellent suggestion.

Otherwise, candy from a baby, is basically what we're talking about.

I think you need to ask yourself some important questions. Firstly, and most important of all, who does it belong to, you or the child?

If it belongs to the child (as it seems), why isn't he permitted to do with it as he pleases now. You either need to let it go, and allow him to play with his toy as he pleases, or strike a mutually acceptable bargain, so that he relinquishes ownership by choice and is happy with the decision. i.e. offer him a whole set or something special in place of the fig.

Whatever you do, don't just take it off him to sell. As much as you might only see the dollar value, it isn't money. It's a toy, and you would be breaking an unspoken unseen bond between you both by taking it without justified reason - and it needs to be justified in the eyes of the child, not the adult.

You see, there are more important issues at play here than the piece of plastic you're eyeing up for a few hundred dollars it might fetch. A child's sense of justice is often more acute than an adults, his feelings will be deep, visceral, from the gut - and as a result will stay with him for a long time, and show themselves in many subtle ways. The worst thing would be to leave him feeling cheated by you, his parent, as it will leave him feeling vulnerable and insecure around the people he should be able to trust absolutely. That might be hard to repair.

I think, if you want to find a mr gold just to sell, find it alone, and never let the kids know you had it. If they find one, either let them keep it, or 'buy' it from them at a price they're happy with. If your child believes you stole from him, I'd listen, because that's far more serious than any number of bills (which will need paying again in a few months anyway).

I hope this post is useful and doesn't offend. It's entirely your business, and I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to parent - it's not easy!

Best of luck,
    :o)
    tedwardBrickDancerGothamConstructionCoyys4uLootefiskLegobutterflylego007HarryPotterLover
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,840
    I agree you should sell it and get the $500-600. Even if you keep it you will still have all the arguing and fussing over 2 boys both wanting to play with it. They will get over it and be excited about wanting to have 'The Next Big Thing' in a couple of weeks or months anyway and Mr Gold will be scratched to bits and buried deep in a pile of assorted bricks.

Let them use some of the proceeds to get a big set or two like others have suggested. They may not be ok with that now, but once the initial excitement wears off they will get much more fun and play value out of something big like a castle or a Star Wars ship.
    I thought how its enough for an iPad but E does NOT derserve 1(not saying you're suggesting I get him 1). Also not that all the $$$ should be spent on him but I would give him something I guess but honestly the $$$ should go to BILLS but not like kids understand that! How NOT fun but that's life! I didn't win the lottery tonight unfortunately!!! $350 million jackpot!! Don't normally play but had to get a quick pick $5 for that considering the good luck we had earlier ;)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,840
    My kids always respond really well when I starting singing the 'Stones chorus "You can't always get what you waaaaannt". Ok that was a lie, they don't like that very much. But that is a reality of life best learned sooner than later. Good luck with your decision
    edited May 2013
    Yes, but it has to be done carefully.

Taking something away because they can't play nicely together, isn't the same as taking something away because it sells for a nice sum. In the former, good behaviour results in the item being returned to them when they learn their lesson.

Children aren't stupid, they'd know their parents had wanted to sell the item all along, and would rightly feel plotted against if this was done under any pretext of being too naughty or irresponsible to keep it.

If ownership must change, then it must change fairly to avoid unwanted feelings of deceit or mistrust. Misfortune is forgotten, mistrust is merely forgiven.
    edited May 2013
    I just want to apologise if i appear to have spoken out of turn at any point - there was only one post when I started writing, but lots have appeared since, so my thoughts seem misplaced.

Sorry about that.

Hope everything works out for the best.

OH MY GOD - my 'this ^, excellent suggestion' post has appeared below a 'let the kids down post' AAAAGH, it was meant to be beneath an earlier 'buy them something each instead'

LOL
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,006
    As daft as it seems (in the face of common sense), if E found it and then bought it with his own money it is his.

He'll soon get bored of winding his brother up, he may get bored with Mr Gold, but if you're going to sell it from under him he isn't seeing many positives from handing it over. Right now that fig in his hand is worth more than some $50/100 set you might buy to placate him (and then do the same for his brother, but E will be thinking "why is B getting the same as me - kids are selfish!).

I'd rather see E live to regret his decision and let the winding up subside than him bear some very long term resentment over you selling it.

If E hadn't found it you wouldn't be getting this potential windfall.

No doubt a computer for him (and hopefully his brother gets a go too) is far better value than a cheap toy that has mad value due to the rarity of the variant. You're reluctant to get him a computer (maybe because you'll never get him off it, or maybe because it won't help you pay those bills).

You're in a lose/lose situation, but letting him keep it means he loses more than you do (long term resentment avoided) and he might learn a valuable life lesson if and when he regrets cracking the seal on it.
    tedwardmargot
    It was not bought with his $$$ tho and it's currently in my possession. I think I'm gonna tell him this needs more time and thought but I know he will be unrelenting in his obsessive behavior. This from a kid who was "over" Legos and has abandoned them for some time in favor of minecraft. He will NEVER get off the computer if he has 1!!!
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,006
    You let E register it, so he thinks it is his - you need to get some persuasion in to convince him otherwise. I would try and bring him round to the thinking that it was a family purchase and the family are going to benefit from it. If you put it through the till with your money maybe he can see the logic that you got it and not him, he just helped find it. Did you purchase just the Mr Gold, or did B get something bought for him? If Mr Gold was bought and also B got something, but E didn't, it would probably reinforce B's thinking that the Mr Gold was bought for him.

E clearly appreciates the monetary value of the item, as most kids would willingly reliquish Mr Gold when offered a larger set instead. I think you're in for a tough time no matter what decision you come to.
    I have to say, I have a recently turned 6 year old boy, he has the Ninjago Fire Temple.
    One day whilst he was playing I said "you should look after the Samukai figure, he is quite valuable", after a brief talk about it and a browse through the Lego Catalog he was very keen to sell it for the £25 or whatever it was at the time, so that he could replace that single little figure with a complete set that he wanted.
    Maybe try to catch him at a nice calm moment and see if he reacts in a similar way.
    legomatt said:

I just want to apologise if i appear to have spoken out of turn at any point - there was only one post when I started writing, but lots have appeared since, so my thoughts seem misplaced.

Sorry about that.

Hope everything works out for the best.

OH MY GOD - my 'this ^, excellent suggestion' post has appeared below a 'let the kids down post' AAAAGH, it was meant to be beneath an earlier 'buy them something each instead'

LOL

@legomatt I don't think you have a thing to apologise for, I think your comments have been very well thought through and caring. I stick by my comment though, pretty early on I found that being a parent means you often need to let your children down (often for their wellbeing).

@LegolandCAmom One other thing that comes to mind, which you will know being a parent of an 11yr old and a 7yr old, but sometimes we need reminders, is that @Bumblepants is bang on about "the latest thing"; my son Had to have a train set! (it's now in the loft), Couldn't live without the MF Scientist set (played with once), Would die without this Ben10 figure (at the bottom of a box of other 'must haves'), etc, etc...
    If you allow him to have it as a toy it will go from a $500 dollar item to a worthless scratched up piece of plastic in no time whatsoever.

If you are struggling financially (a very common feeling) then for your family's sake you really need to work a way of using this windfall, although TBH if that is the case you probably should be cancelling your Legoland passes too (I have had too :( )
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    If a stranger offered you $500 to semi-traumatize your son, would you take it?

If your son understands how much money it's worth and how much other cool stuff he can get in its place, yet still chooses Mr. Gold. Then it's because that's what he really wants in his heart of all hearts.

Perhaps him valuing something above money should be encouraged instead of the other way around, where he needs to give up something he really wants for some money. If he chose to do it himself to help the family, then that would be a perfect solution. But that's not what he's telling you.

He may be young in age, but he's old enough to remember this forever and internalize the subsequent anguish for many years to come. Being Aspergy only exaggerates these centric feelings and make them cut deeper.

I usually wouldn't speak up on matters pertaining to a parent and child, as I'm not a parent myself so have little to advise in helping others. But I do remember my childhood vividly, both positives and the many less positives from my humble upbringing. The few traumas of being cheated or lied to as a child are much more pronounced and have carried over to my adult perspective. So I'm forced to speak up from the POV of the child since their needs are usually regarded as less substantial to that of adults.

Lastly, life certainly isn't fair by nature. But we as people aim and strive to make it more fair and equal with everyday and action. Should we instill the belief that life is inherently and irreversibly unfair, especially when it comes to money & happiness? So that when the fates of luck & chance shine down on a child, that he should accept the inevitable fact that he must give up his special prize for some precious dollars?

Am I really the only one who is placing the child's happiness with a child's toy meant to be found by 5,000 lucky children, over money?
    margotGothamConstructionCoLootefisk
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Also that he may regret opening and devaluing it.

No 'may' involved. He WILL regret it.

It is a cheap piece of shiny plastic, and you can currently sell it for about the price of an iPad!

Sometimes as a parent you need to do what you know is the right thing for your kids.
    You currently have one kid who is upset and one that is using something to make the first even more upset. I say remove the cause of the argument and use the money wisely, as an 11 and 7 year old would not understand, but a mother would.
    ^ This, right here, full stop.

You're the parent, please be one. Remove the source of the problem, sell it. You said your family is struggling for money, for pete's sake, it is a shinny bit of plastic, if you need money to put food on the table, why is there a conversation?

We all don't get everything we want in life. Yes, your kids have a condition that makes it harder for them to deal with this. But I'm also sure you know this won't be the last time in their life they have to deal with this.

It sucks, it isn't fair, and I do feel for you. But sell the darn thing and be the grownup.

My 2 cents and opinion. :)
    greekmicktedwardcardgeniuslego007

If a stranger offered you $500 to semi-traumatize your son, would you take it?

Normally no, but if this family is having money problems, the better question might be:

"If a stranger offered to feed your starving family for a month in return for semi-traumatizing your son, would you take it?"

Many would say no, but many would also say yes. And they do, overseas in places where families sell their daughters to have the rest of their family survive. It is horrible and terrible, but it does happen.

Not the case here of course, but in this situation, this Mom's two kids are going to have repeats of this event many times during their lives, the question is, does the 11 year old actually understand and take responsibility for putting food on the table?

If so, that changes things, but I suspect this child doesn't understand, and if that is the case, that is what parents are for, to make the hard decisions about what is best for the family.

------------

Another way to look at it is... what if the 11 year old said the most important thing was to burn money, he wanted 5 $100 bills and wanted to burn them and it was the most important thing in the world. Would anyone suggest that he be allowed to do that?

------------

Another idea, the mother here might want to write TLG a letter explaining the situation, they might just send her a second Mr. Gold. :)
    tedward
    ^If the $500 meant the difference between food/shelter then it's a matter of survival which trumps most other facts. But I hardly believe $500 will make or break either way it goes. Especially if the family can afford to buy toys to begin with.

What you're suggesting is a form of socialist redistribution, taking from the individual to feed the whole as dictated by the authority in charge. Tell me this ain't so my Texan friend :)

We do not live in a 3rd world country, so our options, choices and overall viewpoint on the value of money does not have equal impact. Thus we do not have to choose between selling Mr. Gold or our oldest daughter for dowry. This is a straw-man argument, as it does not equally relate to one another :)

"Innocent until proven guilty" There is the chance this type of similar situation happens again, but there's also the possibility the child learns from this experience. Firstly, to be a gracious winner (especially to family). Secondly, that his mother values his happiness more than money. Thirdly, to appreciate the small joys life may surprisingly bring, as it does not always happen to everyone. Or we can take him to the School of Hard Knocks for a day. Plenty of lessons to be learned there.

A kids job is not to put food on the table, that's for the over-worked parents to do. A kid's job at 11 yrs old is to learn about the world, it's many different factors that shape a person or their actions, and most importantly to 'have fun'. They will have the rest of their life to wrestle with the dilemma of money, work and dealing with all the machinations of being an adult. Once a virtue (innocence for example) is lost, it's gone forever.

Burning money is a straw-man argument, as it creates no benefit to the child unless he had a bit of pyromania within him to extract joy from such a wasteful act. but i digress.

If he won the $500 cash from say, the lottery or slot machine. That is his money to do as he wishes (lest we are back at the socialist/communist point). If his choice was to spend it on candy or fold the bills into origami swans, is that not his choice to do as he wishes? Lest we, as the wise adults that we are, decide we know how it can be better used to the benefit of the group.

If the mother can write a letter and plea her way to a 2nd Mr. Gold. Then kudos to her. And may ask for that kind TLG rep's email and phone # too? :)

Sometimes, there's more to life than money. It's called joy.
    margotGothamConstructionCoLootefiskLegobutterflyT_Lars
    BrickDancer: Sometimes, there's more to life than money. It's called joy.

Not sure son number 2 is getting a lot of joy out of it, and Mom clearly isn't.

LegolandCAmom: (our family is struggling financially)

I would say $400 less debt would bring Mom some joy.
    A $50 toy each for son 1 and 2 would bring joy, probably more than a single shiny figure.

I honestly think it should be possible to make it happen without too much pain, but in all honesty the only person who has all the facts and can make a judgement call is LegolandCAmom.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited May 2013
    If you are talking about buying Ipads, taking trips to Disney etc, then you don't need the money. Like BrickDancer said, if it's the difference between food on the table or not then don't give it to him. Otherwise, let your child have the Mr. Gold... If he opens it and then later regrets not taking the money then he learns a life lesson.

If you weren't going to let your kids open the Mr. Gold maybe they shouldn't have been involved in looking for it in the first place...
    LegoMom1
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,372

ok so I have 2 boys E and B. Both have autism. We have passes to Legoland CA. So since I "like" Legoland CA on Facebook I see a post about open house at the new hotel and I think I'll take the kids after school.

We tour the hotel then slip into Legoland b4 closing. We went to a store but then decided to go to another. I felt maybe 30 bags and B who is 7 was SO hoping to find Mr. Gold. Well E who is 11 felt a top hat on his 3rd bag and has me feel it. we have squeezed many mini figure bags in our day lol and he's quite good. I couldn't believe what I was feeling, I thought surely Legoland employees have already felt all the bags. We purchased, cut and confirmed!!! I showed the employees.

So B is now crying on the floor and the workers were so sweet to give him a few goodies to try and cheer him up. He cried the whole way home and E was gloating. B continued to cry for an hour after we got home, he REALLY wanted Mr. Gold. I'm trying to say how awesome it is we got 1 at all.

So E registered his, so then I decide it's going to our bank safe ASAP. He keeps trying to open it and I keep saying NO!!! He wants to open it and play and keep it forever. He freaks out when I say we should sell it (our family is struggling financially). He was obsessing BAD and having a "big boy tantrum" I.e. "Aspie episode" (Asperger's Syndrome) cursing and saying I stole it, he hates me and its the worst day of his life.

So if I sell it, I will NEVER hear the end of it!!!!!! If he keeps it, he will open it and devalue it. I let him build it IN the package. I drove them, I paid for it, I am the MOM and our family could really use the money. But he IS the one who found it. But his behavior is AWFUL and he will keep rubbing it in B's face and not even let him touch it.

I kinda wish I never found you Mr. Gold!!! The chaos it already brought our family is ridiculous!! Yes I know my son is undeserving but he is also disabled so plz not too rough in your responses thanks : /

@LegolandCamom- Obviously your first post has brought upon hordes of advice, whether you were asking for it or not. That's the great thing about this community is the flood of responses as soon as someone mentions that they have a problem.

However, I honestly see all of this going nowhere. EVERYONE has different parenting techniques. Reading through the comments, that much is obvious. Sell Mr. Gold, or keep Mr. Gold. Opinions can be continued to be provided, and perhaps they will help you... but you ARE the parent here.

Perhaps this Mr. Gold fiasco is as much a lesson to your kids, as it is to you. You are the parent, you have to make the ultimate decision. Yes, you can get feedback from other people if you'd like, but this is you, not other people.

Parenting has its ups and downs. There's no such thing as a perfect parent. You will slip up at times, it's life.

Unfortunately, your children won't always be happy with your decision. You cannot appease them with everything.

This may seem a big deal now, but in a year's time it will be insignificant. Take a deep breath :o)
    I can only assume that people suggesting you let the kid play with it, either have no children, or are rich or something.

Lets be honest here, we on this forum are Lego NUTS, crazy people who spend thousands and thousands on plastic bricks.
    So far I don't think a single one of US has stated that they are going to keep it if we find it.
    Some random kid who 'doesn't even like Lego anymore' CANNOT possibly appreciate the figure to the value it is worth to the parent.

If he found 5x$100 dollar bills and said he wanted to cut them up and create confetti for his action figures wedding we would say no way, irrelevant of whether they were 'his'.
    edited May 2013

I can only assume that people suggesting you let the kid play with it, either have no children, or are rich or something.

Wrong, I have an 8 year old son. It's a Lego, it's a toy, yes I would let my son play with it if he wanted to. But he's already very much in favor of selling it if we find one... Money isn't everything. (I would keep it if I found one)

• dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Yep. all heck is breaking loose. here, there, everywhere. Drat that Mr. Gold!!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Firstly I agree with LFT that you should write to LEGO about this, but not with the intention of securing another Mr Gold, just as excellent evidence of what a totally screwed-up, off-brand idea Mr Gold was. "I kinda wish I never found you Mr. Gold!!!" just sums it all up. The only reason you're happy about it is that it might help you financially, everything else has brought misery upon you.

It's such a tricky dilemma this one. My first reaction was 'what is she thinking??! $500 is nothing compared to a child's happiness'... but then I remembered I'm not in her financial situation, nor am I a parent. And being an uncle has taught me that no-one knows what's best for a child better than its mother. The Asperger's really complicates it, but even more so the sibling rivalry.

I think you could dismiss his 'i don't like LEGO' comment from a while back - kids say all sorts of stuff about their likes and dislikes at that age and I don't think that should be held against him in 'negotiations'?

I do agree with margot that a mistake was made by looking for Mr Gold with the children in the first place. That's not a criticism of you - you just went for a fun day out, who would have really expected to find one and thought through the consequences in advance??! What with the craziness and responsibilities of raising kids let alone two with autism - that's totally understandable. But it was still a mistake and that must be hard for your kid to understand. It's hard for us!!!
    LostInTranslationGothamConstructionCo
    margot said:

Wrong, I have an 8 year old son. It's a Lego, it's a toy, yes I would let my son play with it if he wanted to. But he's already very much in favor of selling it if we find one... Money isn't everything. (I would keep it if I found one)

Just a question then, if it was for sale for $500, would you buy him one? After all money isn't everything.

I still stay strong with you and your husband going to the "adult" table and figuring this out as parents should.

However, I will offer up another alternative that I think might work quite well.

Sell Mr. Gold now and profit now for $600. A quick $600 buy it now should be snapped up quite quick. Tell your child, E or B (I've lost track! :) ), that in approximately 3 months that you will purchase him another Mr. Gold if he still wants it, or a LEGO set of his choice (set a limit, perhaps $50).

I will now stake my reputation and guarantee you that Mr. Gold will decrease in price. Set $200-$300 of the $600 you gained aside for this future purchase.

In a 3 month time, you'll find that either
    1) your child has completely forgotten about Mr. Gold and just wants a $50 LEGO set,
    or
    2) that he still wants it and Mr. Gold's price has dropped down to a much more manageable amount for you to purchase. Perhaps he will have even dropped below $300 (I wouldn't doubt it), and you can keep the extra profit.

In my mind, this is a nice compromise of the varying pieces of advice people have given you on this thread.

I don't know your current financial situation, but if you are at a place where putting food on the table every night is becoming difficult, I'll make another guarantee... your son(s) would prefer food on the table as opposed to a piece of shiny plastic.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    I don't mean to come off as harsh at all nor preachy about what to do. I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes but that is very difficult not knowing what the severity of 'stuggling financially' is.

You are indeed faced with a very difficult decision. I can't but sure what I would do. One option would be to sit child 1 down and explain to him that this item can bring both he and his brother a great deal of joy in two different ways:

A) they can keep Mr. Gold and play with him PROVIDED he is always returned to his 'safe keeping' spot AND he does not belong to 1 person, he belongs to the FAMILY and his time is to be shared between both brothers. 50/50

or

B) He can chose to sell Mr. Gold and both he and his brother can get a 'larger' toy while the rest will go to bills

OR

C) If he does not agree to sharing with his brother then you as a parent will have to teach him that not being able to compromise will result in you making the decision and he may not be happy with the end result.

I tend to agree with Brickdancer about damaging or skewing a child's perception of the world and what is more important.

Money is an important part of life. But there are more important things. Health and Happiness being at the top of the list. Of course your current financial situation does come into play. But really, you are no worse off than you were 48 hours ago if you let your children keep him and put perma-grins on their faces.

This has been built up in both of your child's eyes. I feel incredibly badly for the little one who didn't get to find Mr. Gold. IMO the family was together when he was discovered. Everybody was looking for him. Not matter who found him the figure belongs to the family, not the one whose fingers touched the bag first.

There is no way to get rid of this figure without breaking his/their heart.

Will he get over it? Yes, probably.

Will he remember it? Yes, definitely.

Will he understand your actions when he is an adult if you decide to sell? Yes, certainly.

While the value of Mr. Gold is far beyond the $2.50 you paid for it, the reality is you paid $2.50 for this minifigure. IF you can bring yourself to simply look at it as it was intended. A special minifigure only meant for those lucky enough to find him. He was $2.50 and look at all the joy he brings.

I do not envy the decision you are faced with. I do however think that LEGO released Mr. Gold to put smiles on children's faces when they found him. It's a shame that this has spiraled in to a negative event for your family. But I don't think it's too late for Mr. Gold to bring a great deal of joy to the house.

Best of luck and congratulations on finding Mr. Gold.

margotlegofeet

What you're suggesting is a form of socialist redistribution, taking from the individual to feed the whole as dictated by the authority in charge. Tell me this ain't so my Texan friend :)

If it was actually the 11 year old's property, then yes, you'd be correct. But it isn't, it belongs to the mother. 11 year olds can't actually own anything. :)

We do not live in a 3rd world country, so our options, choices and overall viewpoint on the value of money does not have equal impact. Thus we do not have to choose between selling Mr. Gold or our oldest daughter for dowry. This is a straw-man argument, as it does not equally relate to one another :)

Funny, very funny... :) But true and fair, I was just making a classroom point, carry on...

If he won the $500 cash from say, the lottery or slot machine. That is his money to do as he wishes (lest we are back at the socialist/communist point).

Actually, no, it isn't, at least not in the USA (I don't claim the laws are the same everywhere). That money belongs to the parents.

But I do understand the point you're trying to make.
    I do appreciate all the responses and don't have time to respond to each one. A few things- we have handicap passes so we only have to pay for child passes as the supervising adult/s get in free. However I thought about not renewing them this year but we live 1 exit from Legoland and its quite nice in the summer to use the water park.

$500 or so is obviously not life changing but it's nice. I have no intentions of getting an iPad I was just saying that's about the worth of it. I was just thinking of possibilities but the boys don't even care about Disney.

E is adamant he wants Mr. G and NOTHING could replace him. B received 2 other minifigures. E was up all night stewing that I had taken Mr. G and unable to sleep, sitting up in the dark. E is currently being a pill as I have let him have it today under STRICT orders not to open the plastic. He has torn the edge and we've been arguing about this. This situation is lame, hubby is inclined to just let him open it as they are still worth $$$ opened. E will not scratch it up, it's his "precious" lol...

I realize everyone has differing opinions and no one knows these boys or our current situation better than I do. It is a tough call and I have not made any final decisions yet. I told E NO WAY this goes to school to show off, kids might you up for this and take it and he fully agrees on that. He's had kids go through his backpack while he was in P.E. he's in middle school.
    E says it makes him feel really special, like the kid in Willy Wonka.
    caperberryindigoboxmomof2boys99
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264

E says it makes him feel really special, like the kid in Willy Wonka.

This was the TRUE intention of this Minifigure in the first place, and while I disagree with this move by TLG these comments make me feel a little better about the whole thing.
    I told this story to my 8 year old and his solution was "keep Mr. Gold and make the brothers share him". I totally agree.

@princedraven - you asked me if it was for sale for $500 would I buy a Mr. Gold for my son? No, because he isn't that into him. And it's not the same as if he found one himself. If he found one and was really excited about it and wanted to keep it, then yes, I would let him have it. I would have paid $3 and change out of pocket, not $500.
    For a long time E wanted the Death Star set, but I was like yeah right at the price! Just to test him, I said what about that set?? He was like hmmm that is kinda tempting but no. But maybe eventually he'll decide he wants to sell it although I don't think I could ever personally spend so much $$$ on a lego set, seems crazy to me. I'd rather see the $$$ go to something more practical. I'm just going to let him hang onto it for now and feel special, and let B see it sometimes too! And hope he'll listen about keeping the plastic on. But if he acts up, like being nasty to me or little brother then off to the safe it will go.
    @LegolandCAmom- Glad to hear you've made your own decision on it all. Best of luck, and welcome to the forums!
    LegolandCAmom
    Tnx! And for anyone who might be curious we were #22 to report a finding in CA. We found it in the little shop, across from the Big Shop by the entrance. It was on a 3 tiered display stand, right on top of the top tier! First We went to the Big Shop but me and E had a gut feeling to go to the little store. E says he felt 2 bags, then his eyes landed on THE bag just sitting on top and claims a voice in his head said "open that one" so he felt it and felt a top hat. Maybe he's psychic and I need him to predict lotto #'s for me ; )
    edited May 2013
    ^OMG it's destiny for real!! You didn't just say #22! With the fear of being hypocritical and stealing candy from a baby... :ahem:

If the time should ever come that Little E decides Mr. Gold is not as cherished as it is today and would like to see him go to a nice & caring home to make another boy person happy, then please kindly let me know. As I would like to insure Mr. Gold #22 finds a loving place to call home forever. E would be free to visit him any time he wishes thereafter and we can all have a nice afternoon together over some milk and cookies. Sincerely. I live in SD and Redondo Beach.

^OMG it's destiny for real!! You didn't just say #22! With the fear of being hypocritical and stealing candy from a baby... :ahem:

If the time should ever come that Little E decides Mr. Gold is not as cherished as it is today and would like to see him go to a nice & caring home to make another boy person happy, then please kindly let me know. As I would like to insure Mr. Gold #22 finds a loving place to call home forever. E would be free to visit him any time he wishes thereafter and we can all have a nice afternoon together over some milk and cookies. Sincerely. I live in SD and Redondo Beach.

Not the #22/5,000 Mr. Gold @BrickDancer... but I think the 22nd one found in California (on the LEGO.com Gold tracker website).

Attempting to steal candy from a baby to make another man boy happy... tsk... tsk........tsk.
    Aawww..... :( false alarm.
    yup our # is around 4500 or so.

4536 just checked.
    seems earlier #'s would have been in Europe then however they spread out, like east coast then west coast usa or not sure if it's just random. #1 person is lucky :)